Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Yōkai (Abandoned)

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 15 - 15.11.14

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Who said they were the protagonists?

And no worries, I'm in the same boat!
    Why do you do this to us? You better have Act 2 already written up!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Brilliant plot twists and surprises - I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter on Friday.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 16 - 21.11.14

Unbroken Bonds
    Bay of Ise, September 1864

My name is Tsukaru Shinji. This summer I turned seventeen years of age. My hair is dark and my complexion is pale. I’m fairly short for my age and most probably underweight as well. There are only a select few foods suitable for my palette. I enjoy rice, but I don’t care much for meats and spices. Vegetables I also steer clear of, since the colours can be too vibrant.

Currently I’m in a small boat sailing south along the bay of Ise. My mouth is gagged and my hands are bound. This doesn’t really bother me – I don’t talk much anyway. I miss the use of my hands though. The scenery here is beautiful to behold, the whispers of clouds overhead especially. I wish only to compose a poem to capture this scene; from the calm waters to the verdant trees beside the shore, to the clouds over head to the weak hiemal sun breathing life into the world. It is truly rapturous.

There is a young woman with me. Although the bottom half of her face is masked, I can tell she is young from her eyes. They are always anxious and worried – darting this way and that, always afraid. What has she to fear from such a wonderful winter? If only the snows would fall, she would no longer look so wretched.

She is short, but still taller than me. Her black cloaked form belies a hidden strength and she is adept at propelling the vessel down these calm waters, oar in hand. At her waist she wears two katana blades. They are intricate, marked on their gilded hilts with strange symbols of crosses and veiled women. I don’t favour such a weapon for killing myself – it’s just so…beastly.

After I had killed that captain who had come looking for me some days before, she had swiftly abducted me. I was bound with bonds I couldn’t break and unceremoniously carried to the coast and bundled into this boat. Her hands were quite soft though, despite their forceful actions, and I saw no need to complain at my new predicament. I do wonder who she is though – she has barely spoken a word these past few days. Her eyes always dart towards me at errant moments and she seems like she wants to speak. Perhaps she is proud of capturing me? That captain called me a demon. I’ve never thought of myself in such a light, but subduing a demon would certainly give one cause to be pleased with themselves.

She seems like she wants to speak now, a new light is dancing in her eyes – it’s the first time I’ve seen a hint of courage cross those irises. I have no choice but to listen I suppose.

The clouds are awfully beautiful today though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Why do you do this to us? You better have Act 2 already written up!
    I'm a little behind schedule, but I have the first few chapters done

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Brilliant plot twists and surprises - I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter on Friday.
    Hi there! Really glad you're enjoying it so far, thanks for taking the time to read and comment

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    Just caught up with the last few chapters. Excellent as always. Surprised you killed off the two of them but let's see where it goes now.
    Only just saw this! I never really intended for them to be the main characters, they were always just there to set the scene. Although unfortunately I did get rather fond of Akashi.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; November 21, 2014 at 03:41 AM.

This chapter is definitely a change of pace and style. I like this new protagonist even if he killed all our old ones.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Me too! The remarkably sanguine response of Tsukaru Shinji to this predicament has definitely engaged my curiosity.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 17 - 28.11.14

Guardian Angel

The boy was certainly strange, that much was for sure. His eyes were always blank and glazed, staring absently towards the sky. There was a warmness there though, which perturbed her; the boy who had murdered so many, brought an entire town – his own town – to its knees, possessing such an innocent gaze. She didn’t like it.

This amongst other things stayed her tongue, as she silently rowed the pair of them down the coast in a small sampan. He was nothing like she had expected – no grizzled warrior, no demented psychopath; just an absent looking young boy, barely a few summers younger than she. She had prepared herself for a righteous diatribe, haranguing the murderer for his sins and showing him the full fury of God. Yet, it was difficult to summon such indignation in the face of such a sweet – did she just think that? No... – such a pitiful boy. As her eyes flicked back and forth to him, she didn’t know quite how to proceed.

“So…” she ventured finally. The few days they had spent at sea had been too quiet and she missed the sound of her own voice – what? – the pleasures of simple conversation. He was her prisoner, but all the same, they would be journeying together for the foreseeable future – no use in going mad from boredom in the meantime. “My name is Nishina Hitsumei.”

The boy – Tsukaru Shinji – didn’t respond. He couldn’t of course, since she had gagged his mouth. She had temporarily forgotten this in her wish for conversation. Still, a one sided conversation was better than none. Yet what annoyed her was that the boy didn’t seem to register her introduction at all – content apparently to gaze ignorantly at the clouds overhead.

“You are Tsukaru Shinji – the so-called Demon of Asahi,” she continued anyway, although she wished the boy would at least cast her a glance. “You have a peculiar power Shinji. I cannot describe it and I doubt even you can yourself. But you possess a way of killing that can only be described as unholy.”

Again, nothing. For a serial murderer, he was certainly a strange one. Not even the twitch of one muscle across his cherub’s – cherub? She had been reading too much – his youthful face. She could sense this journey was going to be an infuriating one.

“There are many who would seek to use your power for their own ends,” she pressed on relentlessly, speaking more to herself now than to him – as if reaffirming her own motives for this endeavour. “That captain Akashi for example and that useless assistant of his that I had to kill. Too busy thinking of war and death to assess the situation clearly. The longer you stay on these isles, the larger a target you paint on your forehead. Your actions in Asahi were conspicuous enough! You should be thankful it was I who managed to get to you first; God only knows what would have happened if the agents of the Emperor or the Shogun got their hands on you.”

What was so interesting about clouds, she thought to herself, following Shinji’s gaze towards the sky. They didn’t do anything. Granted they were one of the Lord’s great many majestic creations, but they were hardly the wondrous visage of a beautiful young woman like her. Not that he should be paying attention to her beauty, that was immaterial – wasn’t it? No, as a Christian nun, Nishina had long since eschewed such unclean notions. Physical attraction was meaningless. Purity of spirit and mind was what mattered and this boy was a cold-hearted murderer – definitely not attractive…

What had she been saying? She wracked her brains trying to think. If this Shinji boy would pay her a modicum of attention, it might help her remember these things. “Yes,” she spoke eventually, following her trail of thoughts back to their beginning, “you cannot stay in Japan. You are most assuredly a wicked creature. However, you are a mystery creation of our Lord’s. Indeed, perhaps you are not a creation of our Lord’s at all. There is only one way to find out the truth. I shall take you to Rome, Tsukaru Shinji, where you can be properly exorcised of whatever darkness rests in your heart. Although you have sinned, you might still be able to attain forgiveness in the eyes of God.

“I know you possess a power to kill that far surpasses any human method – so you shall be bound and gagged for this long journey. I do not know how you kill, but I have a feeling it involves your words – whether spoken or written. I’m not willing to test your skills myself. Instead, I will keep you in bondage… not in that way… I mean… just don’t pull any funny business okay!? It’s a dangerous road to Rome; I shall be your blade. Whilst you’re with me, I shall let no harm come to you and let no other hands touch you… Wait, no, I mean, if you get caught up in this pathetic war here, you will most certainly die. There’s a chance you’ll survive the exorcism in Rome, even if it is slim, so look at it as if I’m saving your life. I shall be your very own guardian angel Tsukaru Shinji, from here to Rome.

“But first, we much reach Osaka.”

Another good chapter. Hitsumei is almost developing like a reverse Stockholm syndrome where the kidnapper falls in love with their prisoner. Can't wait for more

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Of Silence and Stares

The snows had arrived early that year. As the fishing village of Matsusaka came into view, Nishina couldn’t help but feel a little awed. Even though it was but a small feudal town, tucked away amongst the snows along the bay of Ise, it was nonetheless a beautiful sight. The rolling hills and gentle pines that lend the town its name were nothing short of picturesque, resembling one of those strange foreign postcards.

“Here we are,” she proclaimed. It had been a few days since their last conversation – if one could call it that – and the boy Shinji seemed none too interested in her…in talking to her…that was what she meant. Three times a day, she ungagged his mouth for him to eat, but the boy never uttered a word, nor ate very much anyway.

Not that it mattered now; they were fast running out of provisions for their journey. She had taken what she could carry from Asahi when the two of them had stolen the boat, but it hadn’t lasted long. Matsusaka was as good a place as any to restock on supplies. Furthermore, making their journey cross-country from Matsusaka would be much faster than sailing along the peninsula.

“We’ll rest here for a night,” she told the oblivious Shinji as they sailed into the port. “After that, we can purchase a horse and follow the Kumozu River west. We can cross the Ise Kaido highway at Nabari, then we’ll be on the Nara plain and a few day’s journey from Osaka. I heard there’s a train station there, which will make our journey to Nagasaki much easier. From there, all we have to do is find a ship sailing for Rome and we’ll be free. Well, figuratively anyway. You’ll still be my prisoner of course.”

Shinji moved not a muscle and Nishina sighed. Rummaging around her supplies, she produced an overcoat and a sugegasa hat. “Now, your hands will be kept bound and your mouth gagged,” she continued, as she draped the coat over him and placed the rice hat atop his head. “Keep your arms inside the coat at all times and your head bowed. This way no one will know you’re mine…I mean, my prisoner. No one asks any questions and we make it out of Japan alive. The agents of the Shogun and the Emperor will be looking for you, so let’s not make it too easy for them, okay?”

The boy bowed his head, for the first time in their entire journey showing some degree of recognition. Nishina beamed proudly and rowed the boat into the small dock. As they approached, an elderly man was hastily making to depart in his own sampan. Nishina eyed him suspiciously as they alighted.

The pair of them didn’t speak a word as they came ashore; Shinji because he couldn’t and Nishina because she didn’t want to draw any attention to them. However, the elderly man had spotted them and stopped his preparations to hail them. “You two should best turn around and go back the way you came,” he advised them, fear rich in his voice.

Nishina rolled her eyes and turned to face the man. “Why is that old man?” she asked dryly, humouring him.

“Strange things are afoot in Matsusaka,” he cautioned them, eyes wide in fear. “Strange things indeed.”

“Purple mists, people disappearing, ink stains, yeah we get the picture,” Nishina spoke hurriedly. She hadn’t known Shinji had been terrorizing any other villages, but she knew not to doubt his strange powers. So long as he was under her domination…too strong a word, definitely…her protection, she was safe.

The old man shook his head fervently, looking confused now as well as fearful. “No, no, you’ve got it wrong,” he corrected her, resuming his activities as he spoke and pushing his boat out into the waters. “No one is disappearing. Everyone is still here, but the people…they change. Every day they change, one by one.”

“These things happen,” Nishina replied nonchalantly, trying to usher Shinji out of the dock with her. If it wasn’t the boy’s doing, then what did she care? She had her own job to do.

“You don’t understand!” the man cried as he climbed into the boat and made to leave. “They lose their voices! They lose the life in their eyes! It’s not safe in Matsusaka!”

Nishina watched the old man sail off, before turning to glance at the motionless Shinji beside her. A town full of blank stares and silence. She had a feeling they would fit right in.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; January 03, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

This chapter is definitely a change of pace and style. I like this new protagonist even if he killed all our old ones.
    I'm not sure Akashi was that likeable anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Me too! The remarkably sanguine response of Tsukaru Shinji to this predicament has definitely engaged my curiosity.
    He's definitely a strange one

Another good chapter. Hitsumei is almost developing like a reverse Stockholm syndrome where the kidnapper falls in love with their prisoner. Can't wait for more
    Or maybe something else is going on? Who knows

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 18 - 5.12.14

Ooooh more supernaturalness. I like it. I wonder if there are more like Shinji......

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I promise I will read this at somepoint Hitai, but it looks like it is coming on nicely.

Gratz on 2nd place in the MAARC.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I wonder if there are more like Shinji......
    So do I

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    I promise I will read this at somepoint Hitai, but it looks like it is coming on nicely.

Gratz on 2nd place in the MAARC.
    No updates until you've caught up

Thanks!

I must admit I was surprised by the new direction you've taken, but I'm intrigued to see where you take it from here. +rep
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

So we've been without an update for a while. My apologies! I had a stressful time last week with exams and my computer was also suffering a few technical problems. My new laptop arrived today though, so once I've got everything set up I'll get the next chapter posted. It'll either be next week or the week after - the latter probably more likely. I hope everyone has a pleasant Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    I must admit I was surprised by the new direction you've taken, but I'm intrigued to see where you take it from here. +rep
    I promise no more surprises from now on! You can totally trust me

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

This story is very interesting and I like the whole supernatural twist. The borders around your screenshots are awesome too. Great work and good luck with finals!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

I dont know on TWC there also writing like this, should enjoy it whenever i have the chance, seem writer study is also good place to spend time
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Lady of the Inn
    Matsusaka-cho, Tsu-han, September 1864

The afternoon slipped silently by as the pair of them wound their way through the twisting avenues of Matsusaka. Yet however silently time might have flown by, it was no silence at all compared to absence of any whisper from but one of the village’s inhabitants. Nishina could have brought along not just one, but instead an entire host of serial murderers and not one eyebrow would have been raised. Granted of course, someone would actually have to observe them in order to raise such an eyebrow. Onlookers however were mysteriously few.

“It feels almost like a crime to talk,” she spoke, as her and Shinji strolled anxiously past an abandoned market avenues. A host of wooden stalls all stood erect, each complete with their various individual wares: from autumn fruits, to wicker baskets, to fish from the sea. Yet the presented meats and fishes were all beginning to rot, Nishina observed as they took a closer glance at one fisherman’s stall, as if the entire ensemble had been without its conductor for some days now.

They continued past. Nishina couldn’t help but recall the words of the escaping old man that morning. Definitely strange, but it didn’t seem particularly unsafe. There wasn’t anyone there to even see them, let alone assault them. Maybe the villagers lost their confidence, as well as their voices, she mused to herself, stifling a laugh. “You’ve got the right idea,” she whispered sagely to Shinji, who had been following her obediently ever since they’d alighted. “Best not speak at all.”

She giggled to herself again; fully aware the boy was still gagged. Yet her laugher masked an uneasiness, reflecting the tension that continued to build up in the air as they navigated the town. Finally they came to the western edge of Matsusaka and a squat building came into view. It looked none too dissimilar from any other house, but the characters for ‘inn’ were emblazoned on a scrap of parchment hanging from the doorway. Not the most welcoming of abodes, Nishina thought, but they would have to make do.

Ushering the boy into the inn, she was struck by the temperature inside – it was somehow even colder than the early winter breeze they had just left behind! Glancing about the room, she saw a small, derelict fireplace; it didn’t seem to have been used in days. Perturbed, she turned her attention to the welcoming desk, which was likewise bereft of life. Banging her fist on the counter, she called out: “Hello! Anyone there?”

After a few tense moments, a figure glided out from a pair of curtains behind the desk. A young woman, about Nishina’s age. Her clothes were not only immaculate, but entirely pristine, as if they were fresh off of the spinner’s wheel. Make-up coated her youthful face, painted to perfection from the pearl white across her cheeks to the deep reds coating the recesses around her eyes. A golden hairpin secured an impossibly dazzling cut of hair, which rose and fell like the waves, yet never placed a single strand out of position. The definition of beauty.

“Finally!” Nishina cried. “We were beginning to think nobody lived in this town at all.” She nudged Shinji, who gave an appropriate bow to the proprietress.

The lady of the inn did not respond. In fact, when Nishina began to look past the woman’s beautiful façade, she saw that the young woman’s eyes had not even cast them a glance. They just stared blankly at the wall behind them, glazed and painted. They did not twitch, nor even blink. As the seconds went by, Nishina became increasingly unnerved.

“Um…” she chewed her lip anxiously. “Can we have a room for the night please?” She reached into the cloth bag she carried across her back and pulled out of purse of coins, throwing a few down on the counter.

Another long pause and Nishina thought about simply turning back and leaving. Yet just as she was about to tug Shinji’s sleeve, the proprietress raised a stiff arm and placed a rusted key upon the counter for them.

“Wonderful,” Nishina spoke, although actual wonder was as far removed from her voice as any emotion was at all to this strange innkeeper’s visage. “I don’t suppose you know where the local stable is by any chance? It’s just we’re leaving tomorrow and we’d like to rent a horse.”

Beside her, Shinji just shook his head and Nishina relented. That probably was asking too much from this ghost of a woman before them. Leaving the coins on the counter, Nishina pulled the boy along and towards a proper night’s sleep. The sooner they were free of this strange town, the better.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; January 02, 2015 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 19 - 2.1.15

Ooohh, things are getting really strange now. First demons now zombies next thing you'll be writing about is how Emperor Meiji is a vampire!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 19 - 2.1.15

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    This story is very interesting and I like the whole supernatural twist. The borders around your screenshots are awesome too. Great work and good luck with finals!
    Thanks! I have to compete with the rest of the cool border crew on the Shogun 2 scene

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze View Post
    I dont know on TWC there also writing like this, should enjoy it whenever i have the chance, seem writer study is also good place to spend time
    It's pretty fun here

Ooohh, things are getting really strange now. First demons now zombies next thing you'll be writing about is how Emperor Meiji is a vampire!
    You mean Emperor Meiji Cullen? Wait until act 5 when he has to fight a pack of werewolves led by Saigo Takamori