Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

Default Re: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    The tomb as it is so far:

This gives me nerd RPG shivers, I want to explore this TeS style
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Praeses

Default Re: A tomb of significant size and dated to the age of Alexander the Great has been discovered in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Arcturus Mengsk View Post
    This gives me nerd RPG shivers, I want to explore this TeS style
    ...or AD&D style.

"You enter the Lich's tomb. You see an arched corridor (yes its ten feet wide, how did you know?) with carved lions and caryatids."

"Oh you want to get a closer look at the lions? That means you stepped on the flagstone floor. There's a clicking sound, and the corridor fills with a greenish gas. Save vs Death, all players."
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Comes Domesticorum

I like Manuel's idea, personally.

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

You know what the former Yugoslavic Republic of ''Macedonia'' says about the tomb? I want something to make my day. ''Greeks stealing our history.'' etc
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Comes Domesticorum

I liked how when the PM was talking at Thessaloniki he said that other people build modern statues to fictionalize history while we keep on finding the actual ancient remains of that civilization.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if some believe this finding is staged for propaganda reasons. The fact that the Prime Minister spends half of his time there, promoting his government through the monument is a bit of a blow. Of course though, Greek archaeologists are serious people and wouldn't be involved in such sad displays. The leading archaeologist of the monument has been keeping a very good stance: she basically refuses to state anything about the monument before the latter has been thoroughly examined.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if some believe this finding is staged for propaganda reasons. The fact that the Prime Minister spends half of his time there, promoting his government through the monument is a bit of a blow. Of course though, Greek archaeologists are serious people and wouldn't be involved in such sad displays. The leading archaeologist of the monument has been keeping a very good stance: she basically refuses to state anything about the monument before the latter has been thoroughly examined.
    Staged is going too far. This tomb is the first event in years where a Greek PM can appear on screen and make people feel good so he is obviously going to milk it. And that is good for us because the archaeologists will receive all necessary funding and the tomb will be properly protected.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The creepy PM has nothing to do with the tomb, which is a cool monument. But he and his ilk reduced the rest of the country to ruins, in worse shape than the statues in the tomb of Amphipolis.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Ancient Amphipolis Tomb, Day by day excavation progress so far

I did not knew where to post this ,please, responsible of this forum, post this video on maine page of TWC ,worth 1000 times more than any content is posted there .
    Please post this topic on a honourable place of this forum .

This makes people think that I live in the city, building roundabouts with frogs inside and promote more and more samples of "art" outside the city. When the 5 km is a Roman abandonment the years Eburobrittium city. Statues and monuments serve only to honor people who have won big acts .I know remember the ancestors makes us remember that we are only mortal animal, I know it costs, but does not give us the right to disrespect and forget. Now construct a building past 20 years can be already fall. A computer in 2 years is already outdated. A car? Presidents who have made sacrifices? In a country where the person who made the 1st constitution went on hunger strike because the injustices, moral, social, historical values ​​are replaced by values ​​of m **** selfish and personal.
    And wars are to be remembered and not to be fought . Armies are to defend their people , thats the first lesson given on the Army.
    Not to attack due a personal desire .

http://phdiva.blogspot.pt/
    Last edited by foot soldier; September 12, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Ancient Amphipolis Tomb, Day by day excavation progress so far

Fascinating. thanks for the heads up. Rep.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Ancient Amphipolis Tomb, Day by day excavation progress so far

You've been here for a year and you still don't know there's an archaeology sub-forum? Even if you really don't know, I think looking somewhere around the history section would give you a good indicator.

Fantastic simply amazing. Cant wait to hear more news about this.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

The archaelogists are ready to enter the space after the 3d septal wall, could that be the last one and they are ready to enter the main tomb?
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I may be wrong...But the arch in the door makes me suspicius.
    Let me explain.
    Arch was known in ancient Greeks (dome too) but they were now used (untill today only a Mykenean tomb has dome).
    As an historian notticed the two Sphinx have their wings broken.
    That can mean two things
    1st: Their wings were pointed to the space outside the arch.
    2nd: They were moved to the tomb as a later addition and the workers had to brake their wings in order teh sculpures fit to the door.
    Lets imagine the facts:
    The tomb was indeed created for a Great Macedonian person the same timeframe Alexander lived or died.
    Lets supose that it was used by those the tomb created for!
    The arch though adds a delima.
    What IF a Roman official learned about the tomb (remember that the Lion taht was on top of the tomp was founded in great distance from the tomb), and broke in either to find out who the user was or to plunder it? What about if that Roman desided to re-use that magificent tomb for his own?
    In that option there would be justified the arch and the extra wall that covers the entrance.
    But all these are only guesses before the tomb wil be opened. History proved many times that is full of surprices!!!
    August 13th i said the above...
    Today reports of few Greek Archaelogists say that the tomp may be Roman!

History is full of surprises!!!!!! We must all wait the finall findings!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

The whole bodies of the Karyatids have been revealed

Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Note the Greek foot down there!

Unfortunately, I regret to admit that my feet are closer to the Roman mold. And my last name has Latin roots. Perhaps I should be packing my bags for Rome.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post

Unfortunately, I regret to admit that my feet are closer to the Roman mold. And my last name has Latin roots. Perhaps I should be packing my bags for Rome.
    We are all Greek speaking Romans after all
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by foot soldier View Post
    Well she is not entirely correct about her globally uniqueness. One of the greatest and most mysterious tombs is at Nemrud Dag in the former Kingdom of Commagene and even the attempt to get in to the tomb would make the entire artificial mountain collapsing

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post

I have more of a Greek foot myself, if you want to trade feet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast