Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalypso Media announces Grand Ages: Medieval for PC in 2015

Default Kalypso Media announces Grand Ages: Medieval for PC in 2015

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...for-pc-in-2015

Kalypso Media announced today that it's developing a medieval themed Grand Ages game, which will be released for the PC in 2015 and is being developed by Gaming Mind Studios.

Grand Ages: Medieval is set in 1050AD where Europe is in a period of huge change and rapid population growth. Players must lead their people and advance through the decades by utilising construction, research, expansion and conquest in an area extending from Scandinavia and North Africa; to Portugal, the Caucasus and the Middle East.

The game will feature elaborately designed cut-scenes over a single-player campaign, while you'll also be able to test your empire building skills over multiplayer with up to 8 players.

Kalypso Media will be showing the game behind closed doors at GamesCom 2014, which we'll be at, so expect to see our impressions for Grand Ages: Medieval within the next few days.

You can check out the first announcement trailer for it below while you wait though!

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Kalypso Media announces Grand Ages: Medieval for PC in 2015

Nice. We need more city builders!

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    You can check out the first announcement trailer for it below while you wait though!
    Where is it preciouss? Where izz it!?

Thatīs ok, Iīll repost it from youtube, the format on strategy informer didnīt work for me.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah.

I have Grand Ages Rome, but I've never really been able to get into it because of interruptions. Now is probably the time.

That trailer was surely inspired by a certain Strategy game's intro.

Seems promising enough though. Will keep an eye open for this

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

I actually quite enjoyed grand ages Rome as a citybuilder. I never finished it completly though, and when i now want to start there seem to be saveame problems. Might do a fresh install. But certainly the aspect of flowing resources (where you dont stockpile) made it way more flowing than for example what Banished is now. Cause that was a dissapointment as a medieval citybuilder.

Well, I didn't really like the "flowing ressources" system - it made the game and the city building too easy and shallow. With no traffic/transportation to consider, what you usually did was plop down one slave market and a massive number of whatever ressources you needed around it, and then completely forget about the thing for the remainder of the game. The same was basically true for all the other buildings, except you had to pay at least a tiny amount of attention to the influence areas of those and build the correct house next to it.
    Speaking of the influence areas of buildings, those were sometimes ridiculously tiny compared to how gigantic some of those buildings could be, like the amphitheatre. Which in turn leads to sometimes very unrealistic numbers of such buildings in your city if you wanted a good coverage.
    Last but not least, the cities are almost completely empty and lifeless, because the number of visible citizens walking around your city is extremely low (1 person per building or so, iirc). Visible traffic (like the trading caravans) in larger numbers would help.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Okey I am hyped, going to look forward for more information.
    I hope it will be like the old city builder games, as in ceasar, Zeus and cleop.

The last city builder I liked was Medieval Lords, but that game really needed a sandbox mode.
    I have High hopes for this, need more info!
    http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=24938
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; August 12, 2014 at 07:44 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Good. I didn't like Grand Ages Rome that much, the tropico style didn't really fit to the era. But since historical city builders are so rare, and no new Anno have been announced yet I'll buy Grand Ages Medieval.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Well, I didn't really like the "flowing ressources" system - it made the game and the city building too easy and shallow. With no traffic/transportation to consider, what you usually did was plop down one slave market and a massive number of whatever ressources you needed around it, and then completely forget about the thing for the remainder of the game. The same was basically true for all the other buildings, except you had to pay at least a tiny amount of attention to the influence areas of those and build the correct house next to it.
    Speaking of the influence areas of buildings, those were sometimes ridiculously tiny compared to how gigantic some of those buildings could be, like the amphitheatre. Which in turn leads to sometimes very unrealistic numbers of such buildings in your city if you wanted a good coverage.
    Last but not least, the cities are almost completely empty and lifeless, because the number of visible citizens walking around your city is extremely low (1 person per building or so, iirc). Visible traffic (like the trading caravans) in larger numbers would help.
    Pretty much, Grand ages Rome is avery easy game, its city building for new comers to the genre, to the mass casuals that are the mainstream of the video gaming audiences... if you ask me.
    Didnt stop me from enjoying it, though i realy liked the game, but it is very simple, and lacked some variety as well.

I think they dont make city builders like they used to. Ceaser III, now that was city building. It could also be nightmarish at times.

Regardless, i realy like the medieval theme, at least it can be a bit fun playing arround.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM.

Awesome! I loved Grand Ages Rome and I'm looking forward to this. The only thing I'm a bit sceptical about right now is their claim of this giant European map. Grand Ages Rome had a big map but it was really just like 30 or so predefined areas to build cities in spread out across the Roman Empire. If they really have some sort of satellite scan of Europe where you can try to build a town or city nearly anywhere then that would be truly awesome but right now I'm assuming its like a bunch of predefined zones spread around Europe.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Pretty much, Grand ages Rome is avery easy game, its city building for new comers to the genre, to the mass casuals that are the mainstream of the video gaming audiences... if you ask me.
    Didnt stop me from enjoying it, though i realy liked the game, but it is very simple, and lacked some variety as well.

I think they dont make city builders like they used to. Ceaser III, now that was city building. It could aslo be nightmarish at times.

Regardless, i realy like the medieval theme, at least it can bit fun playing arround.
    yeah it was too easy, but they can tweak that. It was 2009 after all. And it surely beats going x10 all the time waiting for resources. There arent that many citybuilders out there, especially medievall era.

I hope they'll seriously work on it though. Tropico 4 is way better than Tropico 5, by far. Patrician IV and Port Royal were disappointing and Legends of Pegasus has been a complete disaster. So they'll need to make the work properly. Grand Ages Rome was also their third attempt after "Glory of the roman empire" and "Imperium romanum". We'll have to be cautious !
    Last edited by leviath; August 12, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    Tropico 4 is way better than Tropico 5, by far.
    Definitely.

Patrician IV and Port Royal were disappointing
    They just don't make games how they used to.

and Legends of Pegasus has been a complete disaster.
    Oh yes!

We'll have to be cautious !
    Indeed.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

I found Grand Ages Rome to be rather enjoyable, but I sure hope that if they bring that building range stuff then they extend it so it isn't ridiculously small. It made keeping everyone entertained a pain in the rear.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Hey the webside is up and running!
    http://www.grandages.com/us/info.php

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

The company which will create this game is known for its mediocre titles (Rise of Venice, Patrician 4, Port Royale 3, Darkstar One: Broken Alliance), so don't get your hopes up.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

If this title is done properly i could see it being quite good but with the new total war annoucement coming this month nobody will care for this game IMHO.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

The game looks really promising. I am uncertain whether I should get it or not (release date 25th of September 2015)
    May be someone here who will get it could give some little review/feedback once he tested it?!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    The game looks really promising. I am uncertain whether I should get it or not (release date 25th of September 2015)
    May be someone here who will get it could give some little review/feedback once he tested it?!
    There are already some people playing in early acces. Check out Quill18 on YT

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I was looking forward to this because I assumed combat would be similiar to their previous rome games. Unfortunately, it isnt. Would of been nice had it some sort of zoom in battle feature like Total War or Hegemony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast