Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Then the mod has started successfully but encountered an internal error. Post in the RodG thread to resolve that issue (check the 'error reporting' section in the first post).

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Hello. I am trying to get this to work for Schwert Und Speer Ultimate - English on STEAM. I installed MTW2 and Kingdoms via steam, downloaded SuS, then launched the provided installer. When it asked for install path I replaced the recommended SEGA path (which didnt exsist) with the x86/steam/steamapps/common/MTW2 one. The mod does not install "clean" aka in one folder, it is spread out in several locations in the MTW2 folder. I tried using the binary tool, but I wasnt really sure where to put it as the mod didnt have one specific folder. I tried several variations and eventaully got the SuS intro movie to play but when it finishes it reverts back to vanilla however I cannot select grand campaign as it says select an item from the list and a check box. I'm not really sure what I am asking for but maybe a step by step guide from someone who has done it and gotten it to work. Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries

'several locations' - looks like you were supposed to install into ...\medieval ii total war\mods\sus

Best to ask in the mod's thread, this doesn't seem to be steam related as you got the intro movie to play. If it is correctly installed then you shouldn't have a problem.

What's the point of letting people download a mod launcher that doesn't work? All I want is a fking log file of CoW because of its battle crashing glitches. Getting tired of useless programs...
    Last edited by Blumarak; November 12, 2015 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries

If you want t a log then you have a curious way of going about it. This thread\download isn't going to help with that, regardless of your abuse.

Open your mod's CFG file with Notepad and then check the [log] section to see where the log is being saved. Underneath a typical entry (from Rage of dark Gods ):

[log]
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    #level = * error

In this case the log is in the medieval ii total war\logs folder. If the log does not exist then the log has not been created (a 5-10% chance)
    The hash sign disables a line to be processed, in this case the simple log setting, the mode detailed setting is active.

norse's Avatar Tiro

Why do I keep getting virus warnings when looking to use this software?

Blog Entries

The tool renames your CFG file if necessary - some AVs consider this a virus activity.

This is maybe a stupid question or the wrong place, but how will I know that the mods are using kingdoms after using this launcher? I only just found out about this exe merging today when I downloaded broken crescent and RoTK.
    True bread is for True Romans

Blog Entries

If you have downloaded a mod from the 'kingdoms hosted forums' section then it certainly will require the kingdoms.exe - some of them (like RotK) have already this launcher principle in build, they are usually having a note about being 'steam compatible'

Thank you for the reply. Got confused as I seemed to recall some mods could use either exe and using the medieval 2 one would prevent ou from access to kingdoms features.
    True bread is for True Romans

Blog Entries

You mixed up steam and disc stuff:
    nearly all mods are designed for disc and disc uses the kingdoms.exe from the disc (unless it's mods from the really early days)
    until the merge on steam that wasn't a problem as the kingdoms.exe existed on steam until then
    after the merge running these mods (the early days mods will not run at all) would result in an error because the batch file to start them was looking for the (now missing) kingdoms.exe

Which caused a conundrum - only mods for designed for kingdoms will now run on steam, but:
    to run the mod on steam the batch file needed to look for steam's medieval2.exe
    to run the mod from disc the batch file needed to look for the disc's kingdoms.exe

That's were this universal batch file comes in - it is capable of doing both at the same time with minimal fuss. The alternative would be to make a copy of steam's medieval2.exe and rename the copy to kingdoms.exe
    Most mods published\updated since then have this universal batch file principle - it usually says 'steam compatible' in the download section
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 06, 2016 at 11:44 AM.

i've tried all the steps in all these forums and i still cant load TATW. Every time i try to start it crashes and says "Medieval 2 encountered an unknown error and will now close" and now my .bat files won't even start up - instead just shows the cmd screen then closes. I'd really like to play TATW but this is becoming a pain to try and fix....

im using windows 10 if that helps any.

Blog Entries

The error seems to indicate a problem with the mod's installation.
    If the DOS window shows then the BAT file has started.

Please check the path to the BAT file and copy it here.
    Look for the log, it should be in the medieval ii total war\logs folder - if it is large (more then 4MB) compress it and then upload it for someone to have a look.

*** BAT FILE (Third Age) path. the bat file (Third Age - Steam) wont open***

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_A
    ge_3>cd ..\..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War>start kingdo
    ms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War>cd mods\Thir
    d_Age_3\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_A
    ge_3>wscript G5BAISwitcher.vbs

----------------------------------------------------

Log folder is empty.

Blog Entries

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War>start kingdoms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg

That will never work - steam hasn't got the kingdoms.exe file anymore.

Open your Medieval II Total War folder
    Look for the medieval2.exe file and copy it to the desktop
    Rename the copied file to kingdoms.exe
    Copy it back to the Medieval II Total War folder
    Now try the running the BAT file again
    If that doesn't work then try by right clicking the BAT file and choosing 'run as administrator'

Still no luck, what is the EXACT files i need to download and proper steps to install?? I'm going to just do a reinstall - i feel like i downloaded all the wrong stuff.

Blog Entries

If that (start kingdoms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg) was the line to start the mod normally then the copy\rename procedure I listed would have started the mod. If that didn't work then downloading anything from this thread (toolbox) will not work either.
    Under these circumstances it will be better to post in their forum to get directions on how to start the mod in Steam - there may some custom commands attached to the bat file.

Default Re: The ToolBox - The 'Universal' Batch File v1.0 (Steam-Compatible)

I know its maybe been asked and answered but, my mcafee anti virus prevents me using this as in (I try to extract it and the launcher itself gets deleted) the only way i can use this is to shut off my anti virus, anyway I can use this without needing to turn anti virus off?

Blog Entries

Try this instead:

Open your Medieval II Total War folder
    Look for the medieval2.exe file and copy it to the desktop
    Rename the copied file to kingdoms.exe
    Copy it back to the Medieval II Total War folder
    Now try the running the BAT file again
    If that doesn't work then try by right clicking the BAT file and choosing 'run as administrator'

I'm having a problem I use the launcher it launches, then shows the loading screen for a split second then closes, it does this every time.

This is the log:
    [Universal Mod Launcher by Guan Ziyang - Copyright 2014] started on 27/04/2016 20:08:42.92]
    [20:08:42.92] Steam version of Medieval II was detected.
    [20:08:42.92] Configuration checking was succesfully executed...
    [20:08:42.92] Configuration file exists. (If the .cfg file is any name other than Configuration.cfg, it has been automatically renamed to Configuration.cfg in order to make this program work.)
    [20:08:42.92] Directory changed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War. Beginning to launch game in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War.
    [20:08:42.92] Proceeding to start Steam version executable
    [20:08:42.92] Steam Version of Medieval II was launched through the merged Medieval2.exe. If problems were encountered, check the log for errors
    [20:08:42.92] ENDING LOG...