Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Default Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Post your questions and suggestions for MKTW here!

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

what are you doing in regards of the UI (user interface)? and congrats on the mod forum.

I'm not sure at this time. We could use someone more active for that honestly.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Will crossbow be present in the game ?

There will be eventually once we get the animations and such that we need.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is the map accurate in that Venice owns no Italian provinces?

About the crusade : Does the color scheme change between the knight and the crusaders ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Is the map accurate in that Venice owns no Italian provinces?
    That map is old one that was put together before the team took its current shape. Venice will indeed own the region around the Ri'Alto Lagoon.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

What I am wondering is will the Sultanate of Rum have modernized troops as time goes on? Seeing as the the ottoman empire began around 1299. Seeing how the mongols effectively defeated the Sultanate of Rum leaving a power vacuum that only helped the Ottoman Empire expand and spread as well as the downfall of the Byzantium empire =(. I can only wonder what we will see in this altered version of history how will the Sultanate of rum if played by a character reflect on the technological advancements but not just that also the sociatal changes and the continued downfall of the Byzantium then again if the ottomans are not to become a part of this game then could one surmise that the chances are high for the Byzantium empire to set up and reestablish the True Roman Empire? Also I notice you guys added the Abbasid Caliphate who had been severely weakened but by this point in the game timeline and in a historical context they had revived their military strength something I wonder how will this be shown? Also by this time the Khwarazmian Shahs had been defeated their homelands taken by the Mongols the reaming forces lead by Jalal ad din helad tabriz so will that be shown? or how do you plan on representing the 200,000 invasion force of the mongols and the remnants of the Khwarazmian Shahs? One thing you could do is make a lot of mercenary units out of them since alot of those people turned to that also on the mongol side they assimilated the people into their culture creating the Sartuul. During this time the Ayyubids where suffering for a disintegration phase as I said Jalal ad din attacked them and they where having isues with the tribes of Arabia losing control of Yemen in like 1229. SO how will that be represented and shown? Will they have debt to begin with or high public order penalties or what would be the issue? anyways i'll ask more later =D thank you

I have a suggestion to make :

In one of your preview, warman, the french officer have a blue helmet with blue clothes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._the_Loire.jpg

This tapestry shows Phillip 2 ( the king who rules France in 1212 ) with some knights and an officer : Yellow helmet, red/yellow clothes and blue gloves. The current french officer is pretty legit, but this one seems to be more accurate.

Also, are you going to make ingame models for the kings ? Because Phillip 2 wears the fleur-de-lys spangled blue clothes in various tapestries.
    Last edited by BalrogOfMorgoth; August 03, 2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: forgot link

calgacus_1314's Avatar Foederatus

You updating your unit pack anytime soon with some of the new units?

First of all: great work it looks fantastic! I can't wait to play it. Some suggestions

-The Zweihander is a much later period weapon (16th -17th c.) and was very particular to the type of pike warfare that was popular at that time. It simply has no place in the 13th century. I would suggest replacing those with regular greatswords or epee's de guerre of the style of type XII's or XIII's (although those would still be in slightly the wrong timeframe, as they did not become common until later in the 13th c.).

-The English billhook and what you call Voulgier units here are also far out of period. Just like the Zweihander, the halberd-like weapons were developed for a specific type of warfare that really only existed from the 15th - 17th centuries. We should be cautious, here, because terms that we use to mean very specific things nowadays were either thrown around very loosely back then, or simply didn't exist. A case in point is that the terms 'voulge' and 'glaive' are general terms that the French often used to describe nothing more than spears, or in some cases different types of cutting-specific swords (i.e. messers). The weapons you have for these units may be good to use (in their simpler, earlier form) with the peasant units, as the later forms of these weapons essentially arose from peasants adapting everyday farming tools in times of desperation. But there certainly would not have been organized units of them during this period.

There are other things, but I'm not going to continue nitpicking, as I'm sure you already have a monumental task ahead of you finishing up this mod. Again, the mod looks great so far, and I am in no way trying to detract from what you are doing here, just trying to contribute in a small way to make it better. Let me know if you want any further suggestions on the historicity of the mod, especially when concerning Western European factions, I would be happy to help, and I have a very comprehensive understanding of the subject.

(sources: Oman, Charles, The Art of War in the Middle Ages http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-War-Mi...s=charles+oman; Delbruck, Hans, Medieval Warfare http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Warfa...dieval+warfare, Brunner, Jean-Claude, "The Swiss Weapon of Choice - The Halberd," Medieval Warfare Magazine, Vol. 3, Iss. 5; and Robinson, Nathan "Ewart Oakeshott: The Man and His Legacy" http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html)

I'm aware of the inaccuracies, I might change the weapon of the Zweihander unit to the suggestions you mentioned but I am cheating the accuracy on purpose for gameplay reasons. I needed some more exclusive units for the various European nations so I took inspiration from Meideval 2's rosters. I'm going for a similar approach to how CA did Rome 2, except slightly more leaning towards accuracy than what they did.

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

May I suggest a more complete representation of the HRE. I see that you have Austria, Bohemia, and Prussia, but I think a few more of the more prominent German principalities would make the HRE more true to what it was. Very excited to see a mod like this, and I know you're focus right now is custom battles, but I was curious as how you plan solve the family tree issue for campaign.

What are the plans for the internal politics, for example will England have several noble families that will be vying for political dominance?

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    I'm aware of the inaccuracies, I might change the weapon of the Zweihander unit to the suggestions you mentioned but I am cheating the accuracy on purpose for gameplay reasons. I needed some more exclusive units for the various European nations so I took inspiration from Meideval 2's rosters. I'm going for a similar approach to how CA did Rome 2, except slightly more leaning towards accuracy than what they did.
    When you put it that way, I completely understand. 13th century Euro armies were a bit homogeneous for a TW game. True branches of service (like archers, cavalry, infantry) didn't re-develop until much later. At the time it was mostly just the mailed horsemen and their support personnel. Will the knights be able to dismount?

Not adding Serbia to playable factions or even non-playable faction is a huge mistake. I will not go deeper in this statement but if you are even interested in medieval history you would see the place and potential of Serbian principality, kingdom and then tzardom. Not to mention army completely effective and with Serbian knights who were good as their western counterparts.

Second part of this message are things that mare every Total War game - endless recruiting, spamming of units, complete erasing of differences between numerous skirmishes and few decisive battles.

So my suggestions are limitation of recruitment via manpower system and fixed numbers for some elite units.
    One commander of the era said ''give me 100 years of war and no battle'', meaning that general battle is the most risky endeavor and that war consisted of endless skirmishes, maneuvering, sieges and deblockade of sieges, raiding, pillaging, war of cutting supply lines and flow of money...

Sieges must last longer and attrition in cities under siege made no sense to me in tw games. Either you have food and supplies in besieged city or you haven't.
    Longer lasting sieges, for instance 12 months or even few years, were not uncommon. To ''crack'' one city was the one of the most laborious and heavy undertakings. And here in tw we have that utter stupidity of few catapults or mangonels destroying walls built to sustain their pounding.

Another thing - city militia units and feudal peasantry are most common and weak in open field, so they have their purpose as mass auxiliary troops. There was examples that feudal lord amassed few hundreds of horsemen and thousands of infantry where he didn't allow infantry to enter the battle and won or lost with cavalry only. Only few nations like free cities of Flamania or Novgorod militia, or similar people's militia had any military value, including Swiss in 14th century and Czech Hussites in 15th.
    The point of this is the ability to withstand attack of cavalry on open field, one of the most difficult tasks for medieval infantry.

All above mentioned militias succeeded in that, including different Scottish and British approach to the same problem.
    Elite and good units are rare but deadly, armies are very small in comparison with ancient era, heavy cavalry predominant and deadly, and infantry underpowered and gradually rising and developing through centuries via professionalization of local militias and rise of mercenaries. The latter applies to cavalry also.

We need also dinastic wars, civil wars, complex system of gaining land through marriages and claiming of foreign crowns... etc.

I will end now, but field for suggestions and commentaries is virtually endless.

All the best in development within time frame and era that is very appealing for me.

It would be awesome to see a more realistic stamina system. TW games always annoy me with the gamey feel from being able to run your troops across half a battlefield in heavy gear and be able to fight a battle while still "fresh" or "active." The NTW3 mod for Napoleon Total War has the right idea, and while that model might not specifically fit this mod's image, something like it would make the battle gameplay feel so much more natural and satisfying. Or, you could at least make it a mod option for farbs who don't like it. :3

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Rest assured, we will try to make things realistic and also fun, and should the things in the official version not be to some ppl's liking, there will be the possibility of submods. I for one, however will definitely try to make things, stamina as well, as realistic as I envisage them. At the end of the day this is a game, so anyone can have different views on what he deems as realistic. Luckily stats are very easy to mod.

Suggestion about the problematic vassal system : When the major faction would be on his vassal territory, he could enroll knight and peoples and stuffs for 0 moneys but still have to take care of them ? It could represent the fact that the local lord gives men to his master !

Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast