Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Aragorn1963's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War Suggestion Thread

Please give a lot of attention to the period of the Crusades, both sides big armies and a sophisticated infrastructure. Also would love to see the Teutonic Knights.

Would love to see TO as a playable faction as well. It was a lot of fun in Med2 to wipe out the pagans with them and then battle in the Baltic area for land possession.
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

First let me say that you guys are doing a fantastic job on this mod so far. I wish that this mod had more publicity because it looks awesome.

I made an account just so I could post on this subforum an just through my own thoughts. First off let me just say that I have no problem with the colour variation of certain units despite my preference for uniform colour/looks. I noticed that you guys were having a problem with people disliking the variation in knights despite it's historical accuracy. You can either keep it how it is, make each unit have less variation and more uniformity but still have 30% variation with of course correct emblems. So to give an example you could have different patterns with different emblems, red-yellow coloured English knights but still have and odd few who are all blue and red. Or you could have a small download that changes the varied units to a more uniform look. Doesn't matter what you do but that's just a few things you could do.

You guys made an awesome roster for western factions and I hope you put as much time and work into eastern factions. I noticed that you guys have little for Poland and since I'm Polish I'd like to make a few suggestions. For polish units you could include the tarczownicy, druzyny, rycerze, squires, hussars, man at arms, sergeants, javelin men and strzelcy.

Tarczownicy means shield bearers. They had spears axes swords and would throw javelins or axes before engaging in melee. They were the ones who could afford their own equipment and served as a heavy infantry force in the Early middle ages. They were realistically not all that armoured as in the early middle ages Poland did use mail. These warriors would be armed in studded leather, jerkins with small metal plates or brigandine. They used a large rectangular shield and wore nasal helmets. Their armour might be lined with fur. They were strong in the early ages but are more of a medium infantry as they became obsolete. Medieval 2 total war's Polish Spearmen are a decent representation.

Druzyny means quite literally leagues, squads or teams. They are the mounted equivalent of a tarczownice except more slightly more armoured. They might wear the same armour as their own foot equivalent but may also wear scale armour. Chain male is possible but rare (most likely worn by a captain or prince). They were Poland's early cavalry and also accompanied Polish princes. Became obsolete like shield bearers around the late 12 - early 13 century. In game both shield bearers and Druzyny should be medium infantry and should be available early game. Druzyny can be an optional body guard unit.

Rycerze means knights. They become more common in Poland as the 13 century progresses. This is because the lance system begins to be introduced in Poland. They look like your average western knights wearing anything from mail to full plate. The cream of Poland's armies.

Squires - 1- 3 squires accompanied Polish knights on the battlefield serving as the knights personal guard in battle.

Hussars can be added if you want but they weren't armoured until 1500ad so you decide to add them make them similar to the models in MW2 unless you plan to include years beyond 1500ad.

Man at arms and sergeants replaced the shield bearers and looked like they're counterparts. They appeared around the middle of the 13 century with the introduction of the lance system.

Strzelcy are like in MW2 and appear around the 14 century with German influence from Prussia and the HRE.

Javelinmen are used all throughout Poland's history until muskets become popular.

The weaker parts off Poland's armies was obviously the militia/levies that were quite numerous in every time period. Seeing as you already made militia units I shouldn't need to explain. If this isn't enough you can also add regular archers and composite bow archers that were introduced when the Mongols arrived in Poland. Keep in mind that Poland changed a lot in the middle ages. They went from eastern influenced armies with no mail or plate to a lance system with mail and plate armour. It occurred around the middle of the 13 century so it's perfect for in game as total war players will probably be starting to research or recruit their first elite units roughly 50 - 70 turns later or 1262 - 1282 in game. I looked up everything and to make sure I was as unbiased and correct as possible (if that helps) and I did using multiple sources including a few of my medieval books. This is just a suggestion or aid and I hope this helps a little bit.

Hello there
    I offer my help to create your mod.
    I'd like to help you in creating icons and building units and technologies. I thought the illumination to the 13th century style.

@Han_Yolo

I gave some ideas to the team a while ago:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13990028

Don't want to sound rude, but Your proposed units are not really accurate.

Tarczownicy is just a name, their arms and usage in battle is as generic as any other type of medium infantry at given time, just like "woje", warriors/soldiers in english, the only different thing about them, and any generic western unit is their name. From what i saw in current previews this mod will not get "national" names for units, their all will be in english.

Druzyna/Druzhina was no longer used in 1212AD in Poland. Druzhina is an early medieval unit formed from prince personal guard, they live with the prince, he feed them, he pays them, and they protect him in battle, they also serve as keep or castle guard for him. Druzhina was build mostly from mercenaries, they are similar in purpose as viking houscarls (first Polish druzhina was made mostly from viking mercenaries, like Russian Varangians, Cnut the Great, Danish king was son of Polish princess, Poles and Danes got strong bindings at the time) but at the time we speak about Druzhina no longer existed in Poland, as feudal contract was more and more popular, and they were replaced by knights.

Hussars are Hungarian light cavalry, they were used by Poland at time frame of the mod, but they were mercenaries from Hungary, not Polish units, first Polish hussar unit was created in 1500.

I think that You just stretched time frame of the mod with Your units a bit back, to 12th century, and mod starts in 13th century At this time Poland is reforming it's forces from heavy reliant on peasant "conscripts" to western knight based warfare, with unique battle tactics developed by contacts with Mongols, and Russian kingdoms. I would also like to see some really unique Polish flavoured units, there are some unique composition of arms, and tactics at the time, but two best known strictly Polish, or eastern units are either not used any more (Druzhina) or not developed yet (hussars, and their later incarnation of winged hussars). So we must live with what we got

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

and your list, azgard, comes in very handy as I happen to work on Poland as we speak cheers

@azgard
    You are correct in saying that the druzyna were gone by 1212 but I thought that giving the modders plenty of options in my suggestion would be a benefit. Whether or not they chose to use them would be entirely up to them.

Can you link me the source you used to get info about the druzyna. I'm curious because I never found any information like that on them and I would like to read it for myself. I know that the Danes and Poles were close so I don't doubt that your telling the truth.

Hussars were actually in use before 1212 but were not armoured and not used only by Poland but Hungary too. They were mainly mercenaries and only a light cavalry at the time.The Tarczownicy can simply just be renamed Shield bearers if need be.

I was unaware that you made your own suggestion so forgive me if I making my own came off as ignorant or rude. Yours seems more detailed so it would not be any thing controversial if Ltd would use yours rather than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    and your list, azgard, comes in very handy as I happen to work on Poland as we speak cheers
    I read Your comment under my first post (@edit looks like it was Lord Giovanni ). I'am really happy that i could help, even in such small matter. If there are any questions, or any suggestions You want feel free to ask, i drop from time to on TWC, and always visit this sub forum. But from what i checked internet is full of eastern medieval inspiration to work on
    Last edited by azgard; September 01, 2014 at 02:11 PM.

calgacus_1314's Avatar Foederatus

Seen on this forum a lot of talk about what to do with the Teutons, maybe you can make them recruit able mercenaries in certain parts of the map and you can do that for all of the order knights/special units?

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

I may have a suggestion on the Teutonic thing too !

So, first, you gives the teutonic order a territory ( in prussia, in that case ? )

Then, when editing the faction, you put the pagan tribes on it.

Therefore, as the Hugarian Kingdom / HRE, when you capture the city, you could "free" the teutonic order and they would have a territory, which could represent the teutonic state ?

I have two question !

1) Do you think we could have the campaign part before 2015 ?

2) The crowned helmet Ltd did for the Hungarian king, are you going to give it to others factions for the upcoming release ?

Probably not for the first question and definitely down the road for the second.

Thanks for the quick answer and good luck for the upcoming days !

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Yes, a king / sultan/ tsar / khan etc unit should definitely be possible for all factions. Maybe with the added /new politics mechanic it is even more immersive.
    I also have another crowned helmet version, imported already though not added to any unit so far, since it is a great helmet version. Later period units will have it.
    Also, I began working on the muslim factions, added some helmets already, though no finished units yet.

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

love the mod. all the best for you guys
    i was wondering if you could add grand principality of rascia/serbia
    if so, i would like to join for research for serbia, since i have experience working on tsardoms total war, lots of info to share.
    basically you would need no different stuff that you already have, mix of weatern faction and eastern faction, italian style units with mix of byz/bulgarian stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Grand_Principality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom...bia_(medieval)
    long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna

Quote Originally Posted by BalrogOfMorgoth View Post
    I have a suggestion to make :

In one of your preview, warman, the french officer have a blue helmet with blue clothes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._the_Loire.jpg

This tapestry shows Phillip 2 ( the king who rules France in 1212 ) with some knights and an officer : Yellow helmet, red/yellow clothes and blue gloves. The current french officer is pretty legit, but this one seems to be more accurate.

Also, are you going to make ingame models for the kings ? Because Phillip 2 wears the fleur-de-lys spangled blue clothes in various tapestries.
    First of all, that's no tapestry, that is from a manuscript that pretty much covers the history of France throughout the middle ages. Secondly, that is accurate, but it's not definitive. That depicts one retinue of knights in all of France, therefore that piece of art is in no way representative of all of the forces in France (Officers included). Medieval armies lacked common uniform types. Tabards or painted helmets represented soldiers heraldic backgrounds (individuals states/fiefdoms/lineage). The style of a French officer's armor and heraldic representations could go either way...blue helmet, yellow helmet, red clothes, etc.

How will you deal with the provinces look in the campaign map? are they going to look like medival cities?
    Also, what about cities that has no presence in the vanilla game, like Constantinople?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix[illusion] View Post
    love the mod. all the best for you guys
    i was wondering if you could add grand principality of rascia/serbia
    if so, i would like to join for research for serbia, since i have experience working on tsardoms total war, lots of info to share.
    basically you would need no different stuff that you already have, mix of weatern faction and eastern faction, italian style units with mix of byz/bulgarian stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Grand_Principality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom...bia_(medieval)

Lord Giovanni, I think we should add Serbia, I keep getting requests for it and we have Phoenix here willing to help us research, what do you think?

calgacus_1314's Avatar Foederatus

Suggestion: Someone should make a Game of Thrones Sub Mod for this very awesome mod!

Question : Is there a map of what the campaign will look like ? I have seen fanmade map but nothing official from the team