Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: [三国上] Rise of Three Kingdoms - Official Mod Preview

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [三国上] Rise of Three Kingdoms - Official Mod Preview

Yeah new campaigns would be another way to be superior to Total War: Three Kingdoms
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Well what I meant was more hero campaign missions like we have for the 3K, Yuan Shao & now Lu Bu, but new campaign would be cool too, a lot of work though haha. I was thinking of one earlier for the Han Empire, idk how viable it is though. It'd be cool to have missions for them and maybe if possible when you take over a Liu family faction, ie Liu Bei, Liu Biao, Liu Zhang etc, it could spawn them in as a character or characvters that join you, kind of like when you taker Liu Bei out as Lu Bu. Idk if it's viable, but I usually end up allying with Liu Factions so it'd give me more incentive to fight them off

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomMills View Post
    Well what I meant was more hero campaign missions like we have for the 3K, Yuan Shao & now Lu Bu, but new campaign would be cool too, a lot of work though haha. I was thinking of one earlier for the Han Empire, idk how viable it is though. It'd be cool to have missions for them and maybe if possible when you take over a Liu family faction, ie Liu Bei, Liu Biao, Liu Zhang etc, it could spawn them in as a character or characvters that join you, kind of like when you taker Liu Bei out as Lu Bu. Idk if it's viable, but I usually end up allying with Liu Factions so it'd give me more incentive to fight them off
    The Han Empire already has custom missions

It doesn't show on this menu if they do. Unless you mean the one thing where you get Xu Huang, I don't recall any custom missions for Han.

Yeah they don't have custom missions.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

It's doubtful I will be doing any more missions. Even though Morrowgan talked to theharkonnen, and he graciously allowed for me to update and integrate his mission sub-mod, the main issue I have is how it affects turn times. The more stuff you add, specifically to campaign_script, the longer turn times take to process. Right now turn times are longer than I want them to be, and I'm not enthusiastic about making them longer by adding more long mission scripts.

In regard to another campaign, I'm on the fence about it. Depending on the start date, it could pretty much be like making an entirely new mod. Someone on modDB had asked about a 182 or 200 campaign, but I doubt it. Neither of those start dates really interest me. If I were to make a new campaign, it might be more along the lines of 189 (pre-Guangdong Coalition) or 217 (Liu Bei's Hanzhong campaign).
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

^.^ fair enough, it's already a stellar mod as it is anyways! I started a Lu Bu campaign and wanted to look at the missions so I rushed through it all to see what they were etc, and I got a bit stuck on Sun Ce's one. I took the three cities and wiped him out but didn't get anything, so I figured maybe wait a bit so I waited 20 turns and nothing happened. I figured because I rushed through it maybe it didn't work or bugged out somewhere down the road so I started a new Lu Bu campaign in which I'm taking my time with, and hopefully it was just me getting unlucky once

What is the idea behind the Zhang Ji death event?

^.^ fair enough, it's already a stellar mod as it is anyways! I started a Lu Bu campaign and wanted to look at the missions so I rushed through it all to see what they were etc, and I got a bit stuck on Sun Ce's one. I took the three cities and wiped him out but didn't get anything, so I figured maybe wait a bit so I waited 20 turns and nothing happened. I figured because I rushed through it maybe it didn't work or bugged out somewhere down the road so I started a new Lu Bu campaign in which I'm taking my time with, and hopefully it was just me getting unlucky once
    I just looked over the script for that and everything looks fine. Either it bugged out for no reason or the Sun Clan wasn't entirely dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowgan View Post
    What is the idea behind the Zhang Ji death event?
    Two things really - flavor and historically it happened to bring Zhang Xiu to power.

ahhh that makes sense then, because I believe I bribed in Sun Ben so he'd still count towards the family members. I'll make sure to not do it before getting the next event next time

Have to say I love little things that are happening in the mod! Because of the extra route to Luoyang there is more variety in who takes it, used to be always Cao Cao, sometimes unlikely to be Liang. But now the Nanyang and Cao Cao in my games are pretty erven to taking it, and it helps Nanyang not die out in the first 50 turns! And the new officers are a cool addition too!

Thank you! The team is happy that you are enjoying it!

So I gave the missions a test run and had the same issue as you: once defeating the Sun Clan and taking Jianye, Wu, and Kuaiji, the next mission did not start. So I looked over the code for the mission again and did not see anything wrong. But then I changed the conditions a few times (only needing Wu, only eliminating the Yue faction, etc.) and every time the next mission failed to start. That told me it wasn't the conditions to "finish" the mission and start the next one - there was something wrong with the monitor for the event somewhere. After going through the code with a fine-tooth comb, I finally found the issue...

The missions for Lu Bu's faction will stop if Lu Bu dies. Each of the missions first checks if the prerequisites (settlements controlled, factions eliminated, etc.) are met, then checks to see if Lu Bu's "tag" is still active. What I did was mess up his tag, starting with the mission after taking out the Sun Clan, and so the system thought Lu Bu was dead and stopped his missions. His tag is lvbu_main1 and I forgot the "1" in the latter missions. To fix this yourself, do the following:

1) Open campaign_script.txt
    2) Press Ctrl + F and search for: All Roads Lead To Chang'an , click 'Find Next' to locate and highlight that entry.
    3) Now press Ctrl + H
    4) For 'Find what' put: lvbu_main
    5) For 'Replace with' put: lvbu_main1
    6) Use "Find Next" and "Replace" - DO NOT use "Replace All"
    7) If you want to double-check the entire file, ensuring there is only lvbu_main1 (not lvbu_main or lvbu_main11) entries, feel free to do so
    8) When done, save and exit

I'm pretty sure this won't be save-compatible, but you can test that yourself.

Ah, glad to see it's something easily fixable Thank you!

Greetings once again, everyone!

This will be a relatively short article, compared to previous ones, as most of the changes found in this update are either text, script, or trigger related. I can show a few screenshots, however it would be pretty much fluff to show multiple pictures of similar items. As such, I will be keeping the amount of screenshots to a minimum and instead attempt to relay all relevant information on the changes as possible.

So, to start off, the main focus of this update is the reworking of the numerous aspects relating to character traits. Up until this point character traits were sorted into FEATs, EVENTs, MASTERPIECEs, and the like, with FEATs being further divided into FIXED, ASSISTANCE, & CONTINGENT sub-categories. For the latter, all of those have been removed and are now just labelled as FEATs. Along with that, I decided to completely rework two specific FEATs, Beastmaster and Transport, as those two were far too situation-specific to ever be of much use. They were replaced with Drillmaster (increases experience of bodyguards) and Prepared Defense (Increased defense when attacked with 100% MP remaining), both of which are useful to any character that has those FEATs. There was also an issue with the default supply traits and triggers, where characters would stand to constantly lose supplies while in the field in friendly territory. That has been changed so that, while you can still lose supplies in that situation, you also have a chance to increase your supplies as well. In conjunction with that, you will now find that the Logistics trait now works in tandem with the supply system - something that was overlooked and not properly implemented before.

In addition to that, I did some reworking of EVENTs and MASTERPIECEs - for those unaware, both are character specific and are triggered to provided bonuses/penalties under specific circumstances that a character finds himself in. Events are typically things that happened to a specific character, such as Xiahou Dun fighting Cao Xing and losing his eye, while masterpieces are literary works written during the Three Kingdoms period. Previously, with both, they would be listed as "Hidden" until criteria to trigger them occurred, at which point the title and text for them would be visible. I decided to eliminate the entire aspect of being hidden, so now the title and text to the event and masterpiece can be viewed, however the bonuses/penalties are not revealed until the event/masterpiece was triggered and active. Below you can see three of the literary works of Wang Can with one, 'Climbing the Tower', for your viewing pleasure.

There was also a bit of changes to the map, but nothing major. While all Yellow River ports were removed in the prior update, after some discussion it was decided to bring a select few back. Namely Anyi, Luoyang, Dingtao, Donglai, and Linzi all once again having access to ports. Jiyin commandery, where Dingtao is located, had its border modified slightly so that it now has sea access, while a few of the commandery borders on the Shandong peninsula were given slight adjustments. Below you can see the re-introduced river ports for both Anyi and Luoyang, with the remainder further down river (and off-screen).

The last thing I want to make mention of is a few changes to Lü Bu. First, you will see that his wife is no longer Diao Chan and is now Lady Wei. This is based on history, as that was his real wife and his subordinate Wei Xu was his brother-in-law. Diao Chan is not gone, however, and still remains as an ancillary for Lü Bu and is considered his concubine. As you may have read in the posts here, there was an issue with Lü Bu's missions where, after defeating the Sun clan, the missions would not update. That script issue has been fixed (it was just missing a "1" and tossed the whole remainder of the script ) I also decided to give Lü Bu, specifically, a unique unit. Previously it was the Bingzhou Cavalry, however that unit was also shared with the Henei faction. What I did was make the Bingzhou Cavalry exclusive to Henei and created a new unique unit called the "Flying Cavalry". For those of you who know much about Lü Bu, you will understand where this comes from. As with all unique units there can ever only be one of them and you can see a screenshot of them below.

The Version 4.7 (Triumph) Update can be downloaded here and has instructions on how to properly install the patch (point installer at Medieval II Total War folder).

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must have the Rise of Three Kingdoms 4.5 Full Release and the RoTK v4.6 Update installed prior to installing the RoTK v4.7 Update. Also, as usual, the patch is NOT save-game compatible (will break your save-games).

Happy gaming!

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I KNEW IT!

Great to see new update.
    Also good to see Lady Wei being Lu Bu's wife, since Diao Chan wasn't.
    There's even accounts that she was murdered in Chang'an whend Lu Bu was defeated by Li Jue and Guo Si, but i like to see her as a ancillary, being that she's a important part of Lu Bu's story, and also there is another account that she was murdered by Zhang Fei after Lu Bu's capture in Xiapi, so there is references to let her be in the mod!

Edit: Does 4.6 patch needed? Because the link is no longer working.
    Last edited by Fahnat; May 28, 2021 at 05:37 AM.

Not sure how it got deleted, but 4.6 is re-uploaded now

This mod got even better now that CA dropped support for their Three Kingdoms game

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowgan View Post
    This mod got even better now that CA dropped support for their Three Kingdoms game
    Amazing to see that a mod can be better than a official game, with high budget and game industry professionals working on it!

Greetings once again, everyone!

This will be the final update to the Rise of Three Kingdoms mod and, for the most part, this update is focused on rounding out various content aspects and squashing the last of the remaining bugs. That is not to say that no new content was added - far from it, in fact. For starters, zen's Skynet Battle AI has been implement, adding a more intelligent battle AI to the mod in an attempt to improve the otherwise excellent quality of the Rise of Three Kingdoms mod. In addition to that, two new units have been added to the mod's roster: Gaya Infantry and the Skin Walkers.

First, we will discuss the Gaya Infantry. During the Three Kingdoms period, Gaya was a notable confederation located in the southern reaches of the Korean peninsula. What is interesting about adding these troops, aside from a more complete representation of Korea in the northern regions of the map, is that the armor the soldiers of Gaya wore were a direct influence on later Japanese designs. They also fought as foot archers, wielding a 1.5 meter long bow, and were highly effective as a military force. They can only be recruited by Goguryeo, in Korean regions, through the Tributary System line of buildings. Below you can see an image of the new Gaya Infantry readying themselves for battle.

The other unit added is the so-called Skin Walkers, exclusive to the Nanman faction. Up until now the Nanman did not have a faction-exclusive unique unit on their roster, but now that has finally be rectified. The Skin Walkers represent, essentially, the epitome of the bravery, courage, and tenacity of the people of the Hundred Yue in the face of Han encroachment onto their ancestral lands. Proving their worth by personally killing an adult tiger, these men wear the pelts as a "badge of honor" and serve as an inspiration to the other warriors fighting alongside them. Aside from boasting significant attack and charge ratings, the Skin Walkers are also masters at ambushing unwary foes and have the 'Chant' ability - able to raise the morale of allies while disheartening nearby enemies. below you can see a screenshot of the Skin Walkers in action.

And the last bit of content I would like to discuss is the inclusion of Li Ru as a subordinate of the Liang faction. "How can you add Li Ru, wasn't he also killed when Dong Zhuo was assassinated?" you may ask. The answer, in short, is no. According the historical source Li Ru survived Wang Yun's purge of Dong Zhuo's officials and went on to serve Li Jue. Not only did he never receive any sort of punishment for poisoning the former Emperor Shao, at the command of Dong Zhuo, but he was even promoted to a position within the Imperial palace. Despite not having as much of an integral part of the story as he did in the fictional novel, Li Ru is still one of the better known characters of the age and rightfully needed inclusion.

Additionally we cleaned up some minor bugs, script issues, and other database problems, while at the same time improving various UI content, such as event pictures and 'Historic City' images. All in all this update is, essentially, tying up whatever loose ends remained and finalizing the content of the mod to finally make it "complete". And, so, version 5.0 of Rise of Three Kingdoms is now released and the past 8 years of development has finally come to a close. Thank you all for your years of support and making all of this worthwhile.

The Version 5.0 (Sanguo) Update can be downloaded here and has instructions on how to properly install the patch (point installer at Medieval II Total War folder).

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must have the Rise of Three Kingdoms 4.5 Full Release, RoTK v4.6 Update, and RoTK v4.7 Update installed prior to installing the RoTK v5.0 Update. Also, as usual, the patch is NOT save-game compatible (will break your save-games).

Happy gaming!