Thread: how you can find the CTDs, by other than system.log (with trace on)

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

Default how you can find the CTDs, by other than system.log (with trace on)

in the past years of modding, i have been in a number of instances where CTDs occur in a semi-random way...
    meaning, other times it tends to cause a CTD in a certain round, other times not...

e.g. having saved the game during the turn 20... 3/4 times the game crashes in the end of 22 turn... other times it "decides" to move on... or it may never crash again in that specific turn...
    all these instances, makes you think that the CTD might be random OR not...
    (i had instances where this happened even without scripts and trait/anc triggers... which are the most common causes of CTDs)

anyway... because the system.log (even with the trace option on) is not useful in these cases (it doesn't show WHY the game crashed.... the lines before the crash are in these cases irrelevant to the CTD...)... i was wondering if there is another way to see how the game crashes...
    in other words, is there any program that can show us what the .exe is trying to do, the moment that the CTD occurs?? sth like an elaborate log.. idk...
    how do the people who do the memory editing know how the exe works and the way and the order that processes things???

do you know any program that will help me??
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Guan Ziyang's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: how you can find the CTDs, by other than system.log (with trace on)

Other than the system log, there is no known 'other way' to determine what crashes the game. No program will be able to determine what crashed it unless it is made specifically to work with the .exe, which currently doesn't exist.

There might be a chance that something like that can be coded into the .exe with the new memory editing project going on however. (RTR Team managed to enable more developer friendly logs for RTW, perhaps something like that will happen with M2TW)