Thread: pace of battles query

Default pace of battles query

so with the release of patch 14 I thought id give rome2 another try after many months away. this is the first time ive tried this mod and thought id give it a go even though its not been updated for patch 14.

after a couple of battles something ive noticed is the pace of the battles are fairly slow. both battles took pretty much the full 60 mins. don't get me wrong, it way better than the super fast vanilla battles but I noticed that units take several minutes before the casualties start to mount, even units that were totally surrounded.

is this as designed or has patch 14 possibly unbalanced the mod?

im playing on hard difficulty.

Default Re: pace of battles query

I'm also playing Silven with 14 beta now and I can't see much differences comparing the battles with earlier patches. The good thing with Silven is, that you have the time for flanking manouvers or to send your cav into the back of the enemy forces. However none of the battles took longer than 30 minutes, even on hard.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Ya the battles should NEVER take 60 minutes. 20 minutes is the max, 30 minutes would be the absolute max if you had like 6 full stacks fighting each other and reinforcements kept slowly filtering in. I would venture to guess that your results might have been influenced by another mod??

The mod has not been updated for patch 14 yet, but given the way my last update structured the mod, I believe it should run (perhaps not optimally) with the current release until I get things updated and fine tuned again.

So while you wait for an official update of STIM, it CAN be played with Patch14 in the interim.

I've had some battles go the full 40 minute limit, but these were siege battles that dragged out due to the buggy siege AI. A large field battle is usually 15-20 minutes for me, and the pacing with STIM is just fantastic -- you have time to maneuver, to outflank, to place reserves, etc. while the main lines are locked. And then either due to gradual whittling by superior troops, or outflanking by superior tactics, one side will crumble and run.

To me, the pacing with STIM feels just right. Much more 'meaty' than vanilla, but not nearly as long as DEI (which is an excellent mod, don't get me wrong -- I just think they overdid the battle length...)