Thread: [SUBMOD] Another Story: The Greek Wars, v.1.0

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Default [SUBMOD] Another Story: The Greek Wars, v.1.0

Another Story: The Greek Wars
    by Ryoga84

Hi, this is the "Another Story" Mod, a submod for The Greek Wars 1.1.
    It's a quick mod I made, tuning The Greek Wars (great mod), for a slower, ampler and more roleplayed game.

The mod has 6 major focus:

1. Underling Poleis: Every Greek faction from the mainland Greece (i.e. all faction besides Macedonia, Thessalia and Epiros) can, after conquering another major poleis, enlist the hoplites of that poleis in their army (thus recruiting, "Allied Athenian Hoplites", "Allied Theban Hoplites", "Allied Megaran Hoplites" and so on). But, it's not a trivial matter, as said faction need an high military background (so, at least, level 4 Barracks in that given city), for less than Level 4 Barracks, can be recruited the normal Allied Hoplites.

2. More than a village, less than a city: If a (mainland Greek) faction cares enough for its lesser settlements, they will become proper cities, as cities they will produce Allied Hoplites (again, you need a level 4 Barrack).

3. Balancing Barbarian Takeover: The three northern factions usually cannibalize each other, resulting in a big northern reigns trying to swarm the southern mainland in only a decade or two. The trick was that all these faction had useful factional troops they could train anywhere.
    The factional troops are now restricted to the kingdom area of recruitment, as tradeoff they can recruit some factional troop of the nearest factions.

4. Shifting the balance: The core problem was promoting the greek factions, smallest and more balkanized than their northern kin without giving them too much power. As result, the northern factions get an increasingly negative law bonus for managing cities outside their native area (Epiros AoR for Epiros, Macedonia AoR for Macedonia and Thessaly AoR for Thessalia), the bigger the city the bigger the malus.

5. Economical Issues: Historically, the Greek poleis were richer than their northern neighbors. Thus, empathizing the advantage they got from trade, different factions get economic bonus for different advanced building (Shipwright, Armory, Schools, Theatres, etc.), simulating the commercial benefit gained even from these buildings.

6. New Units: Ahistorical units, added to the faction roster of almost all the factions: Olympian Hoplites, similar to the Delphian ones, and Chalcidian Hoplites, the hoplites of the little cities of Chalcidia, less armoured and less tough than the seasoned greek hoplites, but still better than militia.

INSTALLATION GUIDE
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Take your clean installation of The Greek Wars
    -Delete the "map.rwm" file in ...\tgw\data\world\maps\base\
    -Unzip the Another Story archive in your tgw folder (...\Rome Total War\tgw\), all files should go in their position.
    -Play

CHANGELOG
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    V.1.0 (2014/07/24)

-Added 17 units, "subjugated" version of the national hoplites [Table 1].
    -Added 1 new unit to all faction (Olympian Hoplites) e 1 new unit to all greek faction + Macedonia (Chalcidian Hoplites) [Table 1].
    -Restricted the AoR of the Spartans Periekoi only to Laconia and Messenia.
    -Sparta can now recruit Greek Militia outside Laconia.
    -Restricted the construction of the Royal Barracks only to the city of Thebes (it was already restricted to the Theban faction, but gave bonus only in the city of Thebes, resulting, in the long run, in a massive loss for a Theban CPU player).
    -Added Tegean Hoplites to the roster of all the faction, as the hoplites of all the lesser cities
    -Arcadia Mantinean and Tegean Hoplites get 1 bonus experience.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Thessalian Cavarly only to Thessalia.
    -Added Thessalian Medium Cavarly to Macedonia and Epiros.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Epirote Light Hoplites only to Epiros.
    -Epirotes can now recruit Greek Militia outside Epiro.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Epirote Cavarly only to Epiros.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Macedonian Cavarly only to Macedonia.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Akarnian/Aetolic Elite Javelinmen only to the Aetolian region.
    -Restricted the AoR of the Messenian Slingers only to Messenia.
    -Added Epirote Light Hoplites to Macedonia, Akarnania and Aetolia.
    -Added Athamanian Cavarly to Macedonia, Thessalia, Akarnania and Aetolia.
    -Added Macedonian Levy Phalanx to Epeiros.
    -Added Macedonian Light Hypaspist to Epeiros and Thessalia; expanded the AoR of Macedonian Light Hypaspist.
    -Added Thracian Auxiliary Cavarly to Epeiros, Thessalia and Athens; expanded the AoR of Macedonian Thracian Auxiliary Cavarly.
    -Advanced City Government buildings give law malus to Epiros, Thessalia and Macedon outside their native
    regions.
    -Advanced Blacksmith building give trade income bonus to all factions
    -Port building give trade income bonus to all factions, and more income more for the more maritime factions
    (Athens, Corinth, Argos, Euboia, Elis, Achaea, Megara).
    -Advanced Farms give extra taxable income bonus for the more agricultural-oriented factions (Thessalia,
    Macedonia, Sparta, Messenia).
    -Advanced Instruction buildings generate extra income bonus for Athens and, even more, Sicyon.
    - Advanced Theatre buildings generate extra income bonus for Achaea, Arcadia, Argos, Corinth, Elis, Euboia,
    Locris, Megara, Messenia, Phocis, Sicyon, Sparta and Thebes, a little more for Athens.

DOWNLOAD LINK
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v.1.0
    Last edited by Ryoga84; July 28, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

Default Re: SUBMOD [Another Story: The Greek Wars] v.1.0

cool, I really like the Greek Wars, I just might have to start a new campaign with your changes.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Default Re: SUBMOD [Another Story: The Greek Wars] v.1.0

by the way, there's a little .pdf guide in the archive, for the sake of easing the play

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Another Story: The Greek Wars, v.1.0

Great job! It's excellent that people still enjoy this mod enough to put the time and creativity into creating such a well thought out submod. I am frankly blown away by the number of improvements you have made, just from reading the changelog!

Just a few quick points/suggestions I would like to make:
    • I remember when we released version 1 of this mod that we didn't include resources for the provinces in the newer parts of the map. Have you included them in this submod? (I know it's kind of bad to be asking this but it was an oversight that we never rectified)
    • It might be a good idea to specify that this is a submod for version 1.1 since I'm not sure you have in the OP
    • Did you do any reskins for the "subjugated" versions of the Greek city hoplites, as well as the units which are now shared between several of the more northern factions?

If you have any further improvements you would like to add and need assistance with, just ask. It has been ages since I have worked on this mod since my life has kind of moved on from Total War modding, but this has certainly renewed my interest in this mod! There are a few changes I have always wanted to make to myself (such as adding extra units in the north of the map for variety's sake and maybe even some Thracian factions.) I'll fire up the mod with your changes in a day or two's time and see where I think this could go.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    Great job! It's excellent that people still enjoy this mod enough to put the time and creativity into creating such a well thought out submod. I am frankly blown away by the number of improvements you have made, just from reading the changelog!
    Thank you. I always wanted to mod TGW (because, with all those awesome skins, you simply can't evade the "I want 'em all" temptation), but laked experience. Now, after modding EB for 8 months or so, I learned the ropes, gave it another try and, before realizing, it was a full submod
    I'm somewhat proud

Just a few quick points/suggestions I would like to make:[*]I remember when we released version 1 of this mod that we didn't include resources for the provinces in the newer parts of the map. Have you included them in this submod? (I know it's kind of bad to be asking this but it was an oversight that we never rectified)
    no, but I'm planning a couple of updates, so it'll be in.

[*]It might be a good idea to specify that this is a submod for version 1.1 since I'm not sure you have in the OP
    Yup, first line of the topic

[*]Did you do any reskins for the "subjugated" versions of the Greek city hoplites, as well as the units which are now shared between several of the more northern factions?
    sadly, I suck at graphic issues (and english, so the descriptions of the "new" units are somewhat concise), so I didn't touch anything, but I think the submod would positively need the hand of a pro.

If you have any further improvements you would like to add and need assistance with, just ask. It has been ages since I have worked on this mod since my life has kind of moved on from Total War modding, but this has certainly renewed my interest in this mod! There are a few changes I have always wanted to make to myself (such as adding extra units in the north of the map for variety's sake and maybe even some Thracian factions.) I'll fire up the mod with your changes in a day or two's time and see where I think this could go.
    That would be great!
    As a sidenote, in some future release I wanted to introduce a Thracian and an Illyrian faction (as there are two "free" faction slots), and some other things, like adapting the Spoils of War mod (for EB) to this submod (of course, I've already got permission).

A reenacted custom battle of Mantinea (not strictly historical)

The Argive host assault the Spartans' line, on the right side

Argive and Thebans against the Mantineian host, in the center

The Athenians repel a Boeotian encircling, on the left side

While the Athenians chase the Boeotian, the Achaean troops clash with Thebans in the central-left side, and the Eleian allies flank them

Center-right, the Spartans repel the Argives, while in the back (far right), the Spartan Hippeis chase the Arcadian troops

Aftermath. The Theban Sacred Band is trapped between Spartans and the Eleian troops.

The Theban Sacred Band succumb. Sorry, Epaminondas.

Still assembling the 1.1 version.

I've already added the resources, as in the map linked by Marmaduke in some other topic.

Iron: SE Laconia
    Marble: N Attika
    Timber: Thrace, Epiros, Illyria, Makedonia-Thessalia Borders, Aetolians Mountains
    Silver: N Attica, Makedonia-Thrace Borders
    Copper: S Laconia, S Thessalia, Central Epiros
    Lead: E Attika
    Gold: Makedonia-Thrace Borders, N Kalkidia, E Thrace
    Hides: Thrace, E Illyria

anyone has suggestion for more resources?
    I'm mostly interested in placing more wine, textiles, pottery, purple dye, olive oil and silk

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Textiles could be added in Thrace I guess, as Thracian cloaks were very popular among southern Greeks.

Purple dye is hard to place as it was made by the Phoenecians rather than the Greeks- maybe it should be left out?

Here's a map showing olive oil production in modern Greece, which I imagine hasn't changed much since ancient times- maybe you should put some in the islands on the west coast and Kalkidia?

Edit: apparently Thasos was a major wine production centre.
    Last edited by cpdwane; August 12, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Ok, then

Textiles: Thrace (not Thessalia?)
    Oil:
    Wine: Thasos

Wikipedia add
    gold in Thasos and Sifnos
    silver in Sifnos
    iron in euboea
    copper in chalcis and euboea

for the purple dye, it's located in Aulum, Laconia, but I don't know why
    better leave at it...

as a sidenote, you got a PM

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Well, I don't have much time in this period, but being in the development team of this mod has been my best experience in this forum (and by the way, this is still one of my favorite mods)! If you need anything from me, just ask! At the time we were developing this mod, I took care the historical research and unit balancing but I can also work on basic reskinning!

Hi,
    I sent you reply on totalwar.org.

Hello,

I have with TGW always 12 seasons per year.
    Now I have only two seasons per year. Which mod has been changed?

Micha

None, as I remember
    this mod mantain the 12 turns/year system

I have now definitely 2 turns/year. summer and winter in Exchange.

Uhm.... I can assure you it's not a problem generated by the me, as the /scripts/ folder (where said script is based) is not modified

however, maybe your TGW_script file is corrupted, sometimes it happens (for example if you load previously saved games directly from the map screen instead of going back to menu) but is totally unrelated to this mod, in this case you can copy back the /scripts/ folder from your backup.

Or maybe, as the 12 turns/year scripts starts from winter 360, the successive turns is "summer" 359 (and then other 10 "summer" 359 and so on)
    so, if you play only the first two turns it may appeare as they are on a 2 turns/year rate
    Last edited by Ryoga84; September 14, 2014 at 08:12 AM.