Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    They get chevrons, some of them are golden, but no command stars.
    like Morifea said. use the young generals against small rebel armies. make sure you outnumber them by a good margine. i use a stack with 4 young generals to attack the rebels, sometimes supported with a infantry unit or 2.
    also good tactic is to use young general unit as cav unit in your big armies, use them for flanking pinned down infantry units. and running down fleeing enemies.
    make sure that you transfer good command traits from older generals to the young ones. dunno if its the case but the beter their traits are the faster you get higher stars
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

[IMG]look at this one,not seen battle but already a 6 stars general. past retinue on to him from a old commander, bye the time he is 25 i get him to 10 stars probably.
    [/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Thanks, another question, none of my Generals get any command stars, they are winning battles, and most of them had good military related traits and are not "Regional Governors"
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Followed all the instructions to play with the steam version. After launching the game and starting the campaign I get a crash in the loading screen just before starting to play. Help?

Playing on Windows 10.

Senator

@tungri: keep a good eye on him. Whom the goods love, they take to them early.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @tungri: keep a good eye on him. Whom the goods love, they take to them early.
    he wil be king by name but not by title

Hello. I am a big fun of Total War games, and i cant think of an installation of them in my pc without Roma Surrectum. I have a "painful" problem since when 3 and 3.1 are out. I cant start battles. It just crashes to desktop. In 2.5 and 2.6 everything is fine. But in 3.0 and 3.1 its a no go. I have RTW with both its expansions, both from disks and steam. I have tried many different solutions/approachings but to no positive result. Although i can play normaly in the strategy level, i cant initiate combat. I am using windows 7 proffessional, and although my rig isnt top notch, it surely can handle easily RTW. Proof of that is that i play flawless Roma Surrectum 2.6. Any advice it would be highly appreciated.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by arrahik View Post
    Followed all the instructions to play with the steam version. After launching the game and starting the campaign I get a crash in the loading screen just before starting to play. Help?

Playing on Windows 10.
    Have you installed 3.1 patch? do you use ALX.exe?
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Omiros View Post
    But in 3.0 and 3.1 its a no go. I have RTW with both its expansions, both from disks and steam. I have tried many different solutions/approaches but to no positive result. Although i can play normally in the strategy level, i cant initiate combat.
    I have answered many questions for players on this subforum but this a unique issue I have never heard of, can you give me some more details and I will try to help you?

Thank you for your reply.

My software is : Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    DirectX 11

My hardware is : Intel Core i5-2500K , 8,0 GB RAM , GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 with latest drives.

As for what i have done so far. I was using only the disk version of RTW , including BI and Alex. Having a copy of the game folder where i was installing RS , every new version was going to that folder. Everything was fine till version 2,6. At some point i got the Steam version as well, RTW , BI and Alex, but to be honest i didnt really try to install RS 3 there as i am reading that its not working. I have found some solutions but i havent tried any.
    I decided to uninstall everything , RS and RTW , the disk version, and install fresh. I did the same exact thing, making a copy of the RTW folder, installing RS in that folder. I started with RS 2.5 , tried it , everything fine. Same with RS 2.6, tried it, everything fine again. The i installed RS 3.0 and RS 3.1. Tried both ofcourse, but although as i said in my previous post, the strategy level is working fine, when i try to start a battle it crashes to desktop. To be more exact i only have tried with Rome One Turn. I have tried the first battle , with the Carthaginians, and i also progressed through campaign a little , by autoresolving few battles, and randomly i choose to play some battles, both with big armies , and with small ones. The result was the same, crushing on desktop. The crash occurs right after it tries to load the battle. Just few seconds after i press "play battle" , to put it simply. I may see the background when loading the battle , i may not see it. Depends how fast it will crash. I again uninstall everything, as it concerns the disk version of the game , and RS , install again , i am playing RS 2.6 flawesly. Ever after many hours of gaming , and having fought several battles, big and small, i have no crash. It happens only with RS 3.0 and RS 3.1. I dont know how else i can help. Thank you for your time ,trying to help me, and if i can assist with any other information , please feel free to ask me.

Thank you for your reply.

As for what i have done so far. I was using only the disk version of RTW , including BI and Alex. Having a copy of the game folder where i was installing RS , every new version was going to that folder. Everything was fine till version 2,6.
    At some point i got the Steam version as well, RTW , BI and Alex, but to be honest i didn't really try to install RS 3 there as i am reading that its not working.
    1st) you're more than welcome. 2nd) I assume you are aware that each time you install RS it has to be into a FRESH install of the base game, you cannot uninstall RS 2.6 then install 3.0/3.1 into the same base, you have to delete everything. 3rd) RS only works on the ALX .exe using Steam 4th) I am sending you a pm with more help I cannot explain here because afaik it contravenes TWC rules. 5th) what settings are you using? 6th)you're rig is quite old now and although it manages 2.6 it may not handle the extra content of 3.0/3.1. I've known more powerful pc's to struggle.

2nd) Yes ,its what i do. I just use that same method , by duplicating the game folder. But i unistall RS before i apply any new version, running a ccleaner, doing a custom clean and a registry clean, doing a restart, running a ccleaner again, and then i install any new version of the mod.
    3rd) I read about that here in twcenter, but something in the whole process isn't "bonding" well with me, and that,s the reason i didn't even try with the steam version. Besides, having the disk version, i don,t see the reason to try with the steam one , since as i read , RS and steam version aren't ment for each other . Not that i would mind trying if it could solve my problem.
    5th) When i type one parameter, it means i only use this one. When i type two, it means i have experimented with both :
    -Resolution - I am using both in campaign and in battle 1280x1024x16 (not wide screen monitor), but especially in battle i have also tried any resolution native to my monitor, even the lowest one.
    -High res unit models
    -Post-Marian Roman General
    -No Anti-Alliasing
    -Terain Detail - Medium
    -Building Detail - Low
    -Grass Detail - Low
    -Unit Scale - Huge (i am willing to play RS in black and white, but not play with less than huge )
    -Unit Detail - Medium / High
    -Effects detail - High / everything below high
    -Vegetation Detail - Low
    -Battle map shadows On/Off
    -Detailed Unit shadows On/Off
    -Campaign Shadows - On/Off (altough i guess is irrelevant in my case)
    -Smoke/Dust - On/Off
    -Reflections/Glints - On/Off
    -Desynchronise Animations - On/Off
    -Unitshaders - On
    6th) As Virgil said , "Fortunate, who was able to know the causes of things". If that's the answer , i am happy to know it. At least i can continue using RS 2,6 knowing that till i will change my rig, that,s the best i can do.

At least i can continue using RS 2,6 knowing that till i will change my rig, that's the best i can do.
    Sorry, I had sent you a reply to your pm before I read this post
    Try without High res unit models & Post-Marian General, I've seen several reports of these causing issues, I never use them, same with "click to change vegetation quality" tab DON'T touch, it always causes ctd's.
    If you MUST have huge units try reducing to somewhere in the middle, go into "preferences" and change unit size from 160 to 120 and save, though here could be a big part of your problem, when it comes to loading up the battle, this(along with High res unit models & Post-Marian General) means your PC may not be powerful enough to handle it and that's why your game crashes, my rig is more powerful than yours and can load the battles but cannot handle huge unit size without lag.
    My rig is a self build consisting of an AMD FX (tm) 6300 - 6 core processor x 3.5 GHz - 8gb RAM - 650w 80+bronze PSU -1Tb sata III HDD - GeForce nVidia GTX750 2gb GPU and is now 5 years old. Click on pic of my settings below to enlarge.
    Watch one of my Roma Surrectum Let's Plays(currently playing as Seleucids now) to see it in action. link is in my signature below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPTIONS.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	363032
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; November 16, 2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typos & added info

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well.

So, I was playing a Rome 1-turn H/VH campaign the other day, 4tpy scripted, on my 3.1 install. I was in the middle of the 1st civil war and all was doing well until suddenly, more and more CTDs occured. None before that. During a few turns, it was on specific battles (on battlefield or automatically resolved, no changes), and then it became impossible to just pass the next turn, CTD every time ...

So I'm thinking that it must be the 4tpy script that is messing with the all package and I took the decision to make a clean, fresh install without it. So RTW Vanilla => RS 2.5 => RS 3 then applying the patch 3.1. in the same folder, and changing the "start in" path in the shortcut from "data/ui/wonders to" to /launcher. But here's the kicker : 3.1 does not seem to be working.
    How do I suspect that : the missile units are firing from the opposite corner of the map and the artillery units have the huge amount of soldiers, just like in RS3.
    So what I am doing wrong ? It kills me because I had it working previously.

I am thinking maybe, when I overwrite 3.1 files to the main folder, the "data" one must go to the "BI" folder perhaps ? Instead of the main. I really don't know what am I doing wrong ...

Humm, I may have misspoke.
    Maybe 3.1 was operative but in my previous install, I remember having those two specifics (range of missile units and number of soldiers and artillery pieces in one siege weapon unit) different from RS3.
    So I guess I'm gonna have to adapt the EDU but that's still very strange cause I have no memories at all of doing that in my previous install. Don't want to mess the whole thing and get CTDs again ...
    So really, I guess I have only one question : In the EDU (if it is IN the EDU) what is to be rewritten in order to have 3 artillery pieces (let's say for ballistas) instead of just one ?

Sorry for the double post...

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Double post (Delete please)

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathoustra View Post
    So really, I guess I have only one question : In the EDU (if it is IN the EDU) what is to be rewritten in order to have 3 artillery pieces (let's say for ballistas) instead of just one ?
    To have 3 artillery pieces is to revert to previous version's unit stats. - data>important stuff>EDU changes and swap stats in and out of the campaign you want to play

RS3 plays with one artillery piece to avoid pathfinding issues.

Personally I'm having huge problems with battle lines forming/ ai behaviour on RS3 unit stats so I've swapped in RS2.5 stats from the EDU on a previous RS2.5 install and just adjusted some stats for elephants (overpowered) etc so I'm playing with 3 artillery pieces

Yes, I realized that and finally figured it out that the work was already done and went back to 2.6 EDU stats ... (thank you so much mod team)
    I was also struggling with strategy and battle FPS until I overwrite the "descr_vegetation" file, from the one in "Low_res_vegetation". The game is now flawless both in strategy and battle map.
    Do you know if the "descr_vegetation" file is savegame compatible though ?
    Thanks for your answer !

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

No I don't know if its save game compatible, sorry. I forgot the vegetation could be adjusted for performance though, thanks for pointing that out. I sometimes get low fps on bridge battles with full stacks so that might help.

Also how do I know if I've installed the RS3.1 patch properly? On my launcher in the top left it says RS3. 0 but I extracted the patch as instructed in the download file and played until 680AUC with the Romans and no problems so I'm thinking its okay but I just wanna be sure.

I had a bit of trouble getting used to the pace of battles etc again in the mod but now that I've adjusted again, this mod still stands out as a masterpiece. Its still my go to game after all these years, being trying to get into Imperator:Rome lately for a more up to date game but it falls behind RS3 so much in satisfaction and relies far too heavily on graphics.

I remember reading somewhere that there were still plans to add slavery buildings, trait effects for the Greeks as they don't get the high influence and command as easily as the Romans. I really wish it had continued, dvk, tone and all the rest of you really did the finest of jobs with this mod.

Hi, I have a question/problem which I would appreciate if anyone could help me.
    I want to change the recruitment restrictions for regions. For Example I want to be able to recruit spartans anywhere around the map.
    In Medieval 2 mods I know how to do it and what lines must be changed/removed in export_descr_buildings using Notepad+. However, same edits and removing lines do not work here and I don't know how I can change it.

Anybody can give me any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance

Hi all. Have recently come to RS3, absolutely love the mod. It's made one of my all time favourite games that much better (immensely so). I am playing a 1-turn campaign on M/M difficulty, I am a bunch of turns in and have just notice that I am not struggling with cash flow, I have a ton of it. I checked that the script was running correctly, just wondering if this is normal and cash flow will get harder as I expand or if something is slightly off?