Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

As far as I know SS has a special start up file which at the end calls the kingdoms.exe file. Which means that (after the copy\rename of medieval2.exe) you will have to create a shortcut to that start up file and start SS with that - the launcher is of no help here.
    The missing date is an issue of a CFG file entry, that should be fixed if you use the start up file.

Mmmmh! Would help if you'c give me the name of the special startup file I should link to
    Cause I don't see what you're talking about :x

Blog Entries

Give me a list of any file (with extension) that is in the root folder of the mod (mods\stainless_steel or similar). If there is an exe file then that's most likely the one I am talking about.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 14, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Many thanks Gigantus but don't worry, I just got the mod fully work with all its features after tens of attempts.
    Only had to modify the config file so that I stopped being stuck after 30 secs. I don't know yet what caused this since I deleted several lines and changed some others (like from steam=false to steam=true - seems so obvious that one don't even understand why nobody already noted it here somewhere! )

I still haven't made any battle yet though so can't say it's 100% sure but as long as I'm confident enough on what caused this frozen window, I'll quote my own config settings so that it helps other that could face the same problem.

In any case thanks for you support (and rep, but well.... )

Well then, back I am... Finally found what caused me the frozen window: quite obviously the autoborderlessmode setting which seems pretty useless today.
    But this only to get into another bug: 'fatal error'... which, I think, is much more annoying.

Playing with the Crusader States, when right-clicking on the horses 'Miles' unit located in Antioch so that I can disband it I get a CTD (I hadn't before since I wasn't playing with all SS6.4 features enabled). I think that some link/reference was forgotten or badly written for that specific unit (and maybe others) which now causes a CTD. There's no way I can figure out how to correct this since I guess it's in the exe file.

Will have to play without SS6.4 features and gracul's BAI between others. Or play with another faction, hoping this bug is the only one of its kind. Except if you've got an idea to correct it, Gigantus?

Seems like a bug introduced by the Bugfix compilation
    Melooo182, if you could correct it before leaving your great project, I'll really appreciate

Apologize!
    ade a fresh clean install of everything. Woks fine now. Really apologize

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ushuaia69 View Post
    Will have to play without SS6.4 features and gracul's BAI between others. Or play with another faction, hoping this bug is the only one of its kind. Except if you've got an idea to correct it, Gigantus?
    I haven't got the mod installed. But the crash would indicate that something is wrong with either the text in text\export_units (not too likely) or the large unit info pic (wrong format). Sometimes pictures in grey shades are saved in indexed format - that tends to cause problems. Locate the picture and rename it. If that was the problem (you should get the Roman Peasant pic as placeholder) then it's a simple matter of changing the formatting.

Steps to trace the entries and pic:
    1. Write down the display name of the unit
    2. Open text\export_units and search for the entries (3 lines), check for special characters between the brackets.
    3. Note the unit name in the brackets and then open the data\ui\unit_info\[faction name] folder and rename the picture

Alright so im going to ask here because this is where i think it goes. I have the steam version of M2TW and Kingdoms. I have read about the whole "recent" steam patch that broke all mods apparently. So i managed to both download and get Third Age working. Now im trying to play this mod again. And ive managed to get everything in place to do so... expect for the whole you are missing Kingdoms.exe bit of the problem. So i follow as many of the guides as possible and i manage to get the Run as admin launcher part to work, except it instantly CTDs before i even get the intro screen of SS to come up. So i try the "bad workaround" of replacing my americas campaign file with the SS 6.3 file. Again it comes up and instantly CTD before i get a logo screen or anything. I have little idea as to what im doing wrong. Please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by domingoxxiv View Post
    Alright so im going to ask here because this is where i think it goes. I have the steam version of M2TW and Kingdoms. I have read about the whole "recent" steam patch that broke all mods apparently.
    Calm down, buddy. The fix after the most recent patch is a simple matter of adding a "launch option" to tell Steam it to use a mod instead of the vanilla game. Unfortunately I don't think this information was stickied anywhere in the TWC forums for some reason. Follow these directions — it will take you less than 30 seconds to play Stainless Steel

1. Install your mod in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\
    Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3
    2. DO NOT rename any folders
    3. Right click on Medieval 2 Total War from the Steam Game Library and select Properties
    4. Click on “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…”
    5. Insert the following text (double-check YOUR folder name in YOUR ...\mods directory):
    Code:
    --features.mod=mods/SS6.3
    6. Click on OK and close the Properties window.

YOU'RE DONE! Easy as pie. Now, simply start Medieval 2 as normal through Steam and select “Play Medieval II: Total War". Your specified mod will be launched automatically.

Source, from Creative Assembly

Blog Entries

This is certainly an option if you only play one mod. You can actually use that procedure in any desktop shortcut leading to bat of a mod.
    Due to the large amount of mods the emphasis was on providing a general option by simply changing the BAT file of the mod (changing kingdoms.exe to medieval2.exe) and starting the mod via that BAT file.
    Alternatively one can copy and rename the medieval2.exe to kingdoms.exe and again use the BAT file of the mod to start the mod.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 21, 2015 at 09:49 PM.

Bottom line - I can load up SS seemingly no problem.

My issue is that it did not work with this fix. First I manually did the copy. Followed all instructions. Click "Medieval II: Total War" and "Play Game...". Steam loads vanilla MTW2. I thought maybe I'm just dumb (wouldn't say I'm computer savvy like some of you guys) so I start fresh and run with BAT file. Once again click MTW2 and play game...once again loads vanilla. I followed all instructions to the T. It "worked" with the bad workaround. How I currently have it running is with the optional option of creating a steam shortcut for the SS_launcher.exe.

My irritation is just with why it wouldn't work without having to do the optional way? Nobody else seems to be having an issue with it, so idk if there is a step that is not listed and is assumed everyone knows to do or something? Also I'm not entirely sure how I know I'm running it with all features. So if how I currently have it is running all the features...great because eventually I would like to install DaC submod for TATW once their next update is out.

Blog Entries

The game defaults to vanilla (if you use the mod's BAT file) if the path in the mod's CFG file is not correct. In most of the cases it's a matter of the mod being installed into the wrong sub directory or the mod's folder name has been changed.

[features]
    mod = mods/[name of mod folder]

Went through the procedures here and on this page, and can't get the mod to run. I double-checked to see that the modpath was correct, but for whatever reason, it loads up the splashscreen then crashes back to Windows.

Could be that the mod doesn't recognize that Kingdoms is installed.

Blog Entries

If your mod's splash screen appears then the mod starts fine but has a problem itself.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

I try to launch the mod (I have used the instructions as above) and it doesn't even start all I get is "MTW II experiences a fatal error and will now close" I've tried using the "--features.mod=mods/SS6.3" and this gets me to the faction selection but when I click to play a faction it crashes... I have SSHIP installed if this means anything...

Blog Entries

If you get to the faction selection then your method works fine and the problem is with the mod itself - ask about your problem in the forum for SSHIP.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If you get to the faction selection then your method works fine and the problem is with the mod itself - ask about your problem in the forum for SSHIP.
    Problem solved... realized I had the late campaign installed not the early one... the late era is not compatible with SSHIP.

Blog Entries

Great to hear it got solved

Does anyone have the Teutonic Knights fix for 6.4 EDB handy?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast