Thread: What do command traits do in this mod?

Default What do command traits do in this mod?

Since they increase command and then decrease your attack and defense by the same amount, having a higher command does not give your general more command stars in battle.
    so what is the reason of this design?
    Can someone explain to me please?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: What do command traits do in this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by lampuiho View Post
    Since they increase command and then decrease your attack and defense by the same amount, having a higher command does not give your general more command stars in battle.
    so what is the reason of this design?
    Can someone explain to me please?
    In Medieval II, a common misconception is that Command Stars actually improved attack, defense or other tangible battle related stuff of a general. The truth is, Command Stars only increased morale modifiers (hard-coded); they do not increase attack, defense, or things of that nature. The Leadership trait works in conjunction with other traits, such as Attack, Defense, the various situational traits (Infantry, Cavalry, Riverine, etc.), and the various FEATS. All of these have an effect on the commander's net Attack and Defense in battle, not just the Leadership trait by itself. Also, do not forget the importance that Command has on morale and how morale affects unit fatigue, length in combat, and the resistance to morale shock(s).
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

I think attack and Defense effect the command stars you get during attack and defend battles.
    If you have 10 command stars and then -10 in attack and defense then you get 0 star in battle, effectively making the trait useless, unless I misunderstood that.

I said nothing about command stars' effect in a battle. I am talking about the trait itself.

Perhaps giving an example of this would better demonstrate the problem:

Trait Jn3000

Level Jn3008
    Description Jn3008_desc
    EffectsDescription Jn3008_effects_desc
    ; GainMessage Jn3008_gain_desc
    Threshold 8000
    Effect Command 7
    Effect Attack -7
    Effect Defence -7
    Effect Authority 2

This level of trait would give the general 0 star and authority in any battle because if the general is attacking for example, he would receive 7 command stars and -7 attack stars, thus + 7 - 7 = 0 stars in the battle as the attacking side. This would be the same if he was ambushing since it also counts as attacking.

As I stated in my previous post:
    The Leadership trait works in conjunction with other traits, such as Attack, Defense, the various situational traits (Infantry, Cavalry, Riverine, etc.), and the various FEATS. All of these have an effect on the commander's net Attack and Defense in battle, not just the Leadership trait by itself.
    While you are only talking about Jn3000 (Leadership trait), I told you that you also need to take into consideration Jn4000, Jn5000, JnA1000, JnA2000, JnA3000, as well as the various FEATS traits, in order to understand the true net Attack and Defense of a general. Command Stars, by themselves, don't mean much of anything; it is the totality of traits that actually have tangible meaning and effect.

So command trait effect to unit's morale. How much command point an officer can get actually. I mean I wrote a new Jn3000 trait, and I set Cao Cao's leadership +99 command (obviously he get 10 command star). While he has cavalry lead -1 command. Does it mean he has to lead 99 cavalry force to decrease command to zero. Or there is max value, example only get 15 command point, and if he lead 15 cavalry command star is zero? Same question with other trait: hitpoint,attack, defence, honor, authory, conviction, law, health, unrest, squalor. I also set Cao Cao hitpoint is 72. Testing by let his buqu atack ZhangLiao, he is the last one die but still die . So offcier's hitpoint has limit.One more thing, his atack +94. Does it mean his buqu atack +94, or all troops lead by him +94.

For general modding questions such as these, you should really refer to the Medieval II Mod Workshop. They have all of the docudemons and tutorials on all manner and aspects of modding.

Still not getting it.

So what is the difference between not having

Effect Command 7
    Effect Attack -7
    Effect Defence -7

than having these lines?

Does Effect Attack -7 reduce the attack of the general?

So have you tested if removing those effect command + and effect attack - / defence - lines would result in the same net attack / defence, command stars during battles?

Of course you wouldn't have the same net Attack/Defense or Command Stars. If you removed Attack/Defence effects from the Leadership trait, that would allow the actual Attack and Defense traits (and their respective effects) to go through unimpeded. This would vastly increase the net Attack/Defence (as the negating balance found in the Leadership trait would be removed) and, by extension, Command Stars.

Although you said you're still not getting it, I have to once again reiterate what I already posted as I can't explain it any simpler terms:
    While you are only talking about Jn3000 (Leadership trait), I told you that you also need to take into consideration Jn4000, Jn5000, JnA1000, JnA2000, JnA3000, as well as the various FEATS traits, in order to understand the true net Attack and Defense of a general. Command Stars, by themselves, don't mean much of anything; it is the totality of traits that actually have tangible meaning and effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    If you removed Attack/Defence effects from the Leadership trait
    I said if you removed command + AND effect attack - / defence -

This would vastly increase the net Attack/Defence
    So that means effect attack -/+ / defence -/+ does actually effect the general's unit's attack / defence. Could have answered my earlier question to clear up the reason behind this (from #8)...

Of course you wouldn't have the same net Attack/Defense or Command Stars.
    Since I said removing command + AND effect attack - / defence -. Why would you have the same command stars during battle?