Thread: First Impressions: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default First Impressions: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

As many people are aware, a son of Total War Center has recently expanded into the world of gaming by creating his very own game; Ultimate General: Gettysburg, by DARTH VADER. This game is set during the three days (with a possible fourth day) of the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War, a battle that claimed fifty thousand casualties, nearly eight thousand of those being killed. It was a bloody few days in American history, and one in which you may now re-enact. Shall you help the Union maintain history by defeating the army of Robert E. Lee, or will you instead lead Lee’s army to victory over the Union? The choice is yours to make.

Based on my first impressions of the game, there are several things worth noting that contribute to making Ultimate General a rather fun game. For one, the AI of the enemy is absolutely ruthless, and with nine different options for how the AI behaves, every battle and every scenario can turn out differently from the last. The AI, combined with the rather fast-paced gameplay, makes for a challenge, as you will shift your units about the map as new weaknesses open up, whether they be your own or the enemies. Another positive is how the battle evolves depending on your choices and your successes or failures, with every individual scenario ending with two or more choices for you to make on how the next stage should begin. It really is a fantastic way to go about the game, and really sets it apart from the games inevitable comparison, Sid Meier’s Gettysburg. Depending on how many casualties are incurred and whether you manage to hold on to enough key points on the battlefield, the whole battle can end with your victory or defeat, with the option for the battle to go on to a fourth day. Darth and his team also managed to create a rather beautiful map that accurately portrays the geography of the area at the time of the battle. Every unit in the game is detailed to the exact number of soldiers they had at the time of the battle. While not every man is visually represented on the battlefield, the representative number of men still makes for an impressive sight. This is especially true as those bodies begin to pile-up along the harshest points of the battlefield.

There are a few frustrating things that do arise in the course of gameplay. Though the units all have their own AI that allows them to focus on the enemy on their own without your micromanagement, the mostly brigade structure can often lead to frustrating situations. For example, I had an entire brigade turn towards a skirmisher unit of about two hundred men, exposing its whole flank to withering fire from a brigade of about 1,500 men. Needless to say, it did not take long for my brigade’s morale to drop to a point of retreat, leaving a gaping hole in my line. In my opinion, this flaw could be rectified by allowing brigades to separate into regiments, to allow a more appropriate response in this situation. Factoring into this is the inability to set formations for the brigades, which can be rather useful if you need to stretch a line more. Another, more minor problem, arises when it comes to the terrain. While the map is quite beautiful to look at, it is often difficult to tell exactly how high a particular hill is, which can make it confusing as to how vital that hill might be and how much it can affect the course of fighting in that particular part of the map. Now for someone like me that is well aware of the importance of some of this terrain is due to study of the battle, it is not a huge problem, but for others it could be a problem, and can also make it difficult to determine if there are obstacles blocking fire from infantry or artillery. Another slightly frustrating problem is the morale system, leading to some units routing rather quickly and leaving holes in your line that would be more at home in a Swiss cheese. Holes the often clinical and brutal enemy AI will not hesitate to exploit.

If my criticisms do seem harsh, it might be because the memory of hundreds of hours on the Sid Meier’s games have left a lasting impression on me. Despite these small flaws, I do feel that Darth and his team have created an impressive game. It is certainly a challenge at times, and will often leave you scratching your head as to what you should do next. But the ever changing nature of the battle of Gettysburg, based on your choices, will lead to many hours of exciting gameplay. And some of these small issues may be resolved when the full game is finished. Overall, I am satisfied with this game, and I am hoping to see Darth and his team continue this into an epic franchise, perhaps not just with the Civil War but beyond.

I cannot rate this game based on a number right now considering it is not completely done, but I heavily recommend this game to anyone who loves these sorts of games, and especially anyone that is interested in the American Civil War.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is available on Steam Early Access. Check out the Game-Labs hosted forum right here on Total War Center to learn more about this neat game.

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; July 19, 2014 at 07:54 AM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: First Impressions: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

While the map is quite beautiful to look at, it is often difficult to tell exactly how high a particular hill is, which can make it confusing as to how vital that hill might be and how much it can affect the course of fighting in that particular part of the map. Now for someone like me that is well aware of the importance of some of this terrain is due to study of the battle, it is not a huge problem, but for others it could be a problem, and can also make it difficult to determine if there are obstacles blocking fire from infantry or artillery.
    Press the "M" key.

It was patched in due to popular demand
    Last edited by Huberto; July 19, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Excellent write up and overview of a stunning first release by one of TWC's undisputed brightest sons. Finally,through this project,we are able to experience battle the way Darth always intended it,without being restricted by hard codes and engine limitations.As you are witnessing the always unpredictable and equally stunning AI respond to your every move,eliminating the feeling of exploitation vs an uninspiring and lazy AI as is often seen in strategy games of today,and the ebb and flow of the battle play out in dynamic and cinematic splendor,you will wish your battles in Empire and Napoleon were equally impressive,and will get the full perspective concerning what Darth meant to achieve with his respective battle modifications for each title.
    Last edited by Chevalier IX; July 19, 2014 at 06:37 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Press the "M" key.

It was patched in due to popular demand
    I wrote this based off of the first release, so next time I get a chance I will definitely download the patch.

Even with the minor issues I pointed out it is *exceptionally* fun. I only wish I had more to play.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Thank you very much for the review! I would like to inform that Ultimate General: Gettysburg has had 5 updates and is now on version 0.845.
    Our next big update will have multiplayer support and I will inform when this comes in the hosted TW Center forum for the game.

Issues reported in first release, such as high battle pace and other inconsistencies and bugs have been fixed and we continue to listen to the fans and to offer weekly patches.
    We thank everyone from TWCenter community who has supported the game up to now and we hope you enjoy it.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

It is really good to see TWC are supporting darth with his own business venture and supporting his game here on TWC. As a founding farther to the world of modding TW games and an inspiration to me and many others I know here on the site.

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Great stuff Darth. Will buy when I get a chance.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It's a great achievement. Look forward to future work pushing the boundaries.

Great game Darth, and fantastic value for its very low price. Hope that you'll generate enough income from it to be able to keep making stuff
    "I will say it again, there are no bugs in this game. No melee bug, no formation bug, no suicidal general bug, nothing."

M2TWRocks, when speaking of N:TW (Source)

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

It is a great game, having a lot of fun with it!
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Wow. That was a pretty vague preview.
    CA needs competition.

ish666's Avatar Foederatus
    A field listening to Cello suite 1 in g major

One good thing about this game, i can run it on max settings which is more than i can say about napoleon.

Marines's Avatar Civis

I just picked it up.

The AI is absolutely brutal. I left a small gap in my lines and they exploited it mercilessly, forcing me to abandon a key position on the high ground which ultimately led to me losing the battle. This is what a RTS game with tactical-depth looks like. Creative Assembly should take notes.

The low price persuaded me to buy, and it's a bargain given the quality of the game even at this stage , with a clean, attractive look and an ebb and flow that usually seems very natural. I have a lot of play time in and unlocked less than half the battle scenarios by reaching them through the overall battle campaign. I expect to keep coming back to it.

Bought it today and played 30mins. Its worth 7.49 Euro for sure! Great game and i will play more this weekend.

klesh's Avatar Senator

I bought this yesterday and played through both campaigns a few times. I really had a blast. Now that I've learned about turning units with "tab" I'll be unstoppable!
    $9.99 on Steam and worth every penny. I really like this game Darth! I look forward to updates, and maybe other Ultimate General battles in the future.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW