Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football 2014/15 (EPL - kicks off 16/8/14)

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Re: Fantasy Football 2014/15 (EPL - kicks off 16/8/14)

Oh and I think you have unlimited transfers until this saturday? My advice from playing first time last year is try to spread the team a bit, I had too many from the same teams at times, but if all 3 teams have an off-day you get miserable points, and if you have an expensive player who is not performing it may be worth dropping rather than persevering in the hope he will improve. (RvP for me last year, kept thinking he was going to be better and he just stayed injured).

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Søren FC has joined the league. Looks like Adam isn't here yet though, hopefully he'll be taking part again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    Søren FC has joined the league. Looks like Adam isn't here yet though, hopefully he'll be taking part again this year.
    I should have just renewed the league instead of creating a new one in hindsight, would probably have made it easier for last years teams then a new code, you'll be able to join the classic at anytime of the season though so he'll be along in his own good time I'd imagine, anyways good luck.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

Perth United signing up.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I'm in and I'm ready to get schooled once again .

I think we're missing some people. Perhaps spamming such people by pm is in order!

EDIT:

BTW any chance of some tips on my team? Here's what I have right now.

GK - Mannone

Def - Cameron, Ivanovic, Phil Jones

Mid - Eriksen, Fabregas, Sanchez, Ramsey

Fwd - Diego CostaRooney (C), Dzeko, Bojan
    --------------------
    Bench - Krul, Rio Ferdinand, Hooiveld, El Ahmadi
    Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; August 13, 2014 at 06:12 AM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    I should have just renewed the league instead of creating a new one in hindsight, would probably have made it easier for last years teams then a new code, you'll be able to join the classic at anytime of the season though so he'll be along in his own good time I'd imagine, anyways good luck.
    Is it too late to just renew it and close the new one?

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Joined.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post

I think we're missing some people. Perhaps spamming such people by pm is in order!

EDIT:

BTW any chance of some tips on my team? Here's what I have right now.

GK - Mannone

--------------------
    Very similar to mine. I like of course!

Do you think Rio will be a first choice CB at QPR? Also heard someone say Cameron isn't first choice at Stoke, not sure on the veracity mind.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    Perth United signing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    Joined.
    Thanks, good luck guys.

We've still plenty of time, IMB and Ash are the only two regulars left to join now, not sure how active they are on the boards these days, I'm sure IMB was last minute last season but 13 or 14 is good enough to go for me with most of the old enemies on board and a few new ones as well, good luck Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Is it too late to just renew it and close the new one?
    No can do I'm afraid, I had a spring clean of all my leagues as I'd planned on joining a couple of extra charity leagues and cash leagues (use one to pay for the other) so I just deleted the lot not thinking, we'd need a new code for the H2H league as I don't think they are renewable. (You still need to join again)

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Very similar to mine. I like of course!

Do you think Rio will be a first choice CB at QPR? Also heard someone say Cameron isn't first choice at Stoke, not sure on the veracity mind.
    I'm confident on Rio starting but I'm not keen on Cameron, I think Bardsley has replaced him in the pecking order at Stoke.

TW any chance of some tips on my team? Here's what I have right now.

GK - Mannone

--------------------
    I think Pantilimion will be the starter for Sunderland in GW 1 but it's a tough call between him and Mannone with Pants starting 3 games in preseason and Mannone starting 2, Cameron see above, I'm not brave enough early in the season to have double coverage in midfield as if the Arsenal have one iffy result both players scores will be affected I'll be spreading my coverage more than that. Hooiveld I don't think will get any game time but he looks like a filler player at 4.0m, I think Hutton might start from Villa at 4.0m but GW's 4-7 for Villa look terribly hard.
    Last edited by Charlatan; August 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Grøfteknuserane representin'.

Edit: Instead of Hooiveld you could be getting Wisdom at WBA. I reckon he will be a starter this year. Given a starting number and he played 90 mins against Porto in their final pre-season match. Only 4m and did well at Derby last season.
    Last edited by Ishoss; August 13, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Grøfteknuserane representin'.

Edit: Instead of Hooiveld you could be getting Wisdom at WBA. I reckon he will be a starter this year. Given a starting number and he played 90 mins against Porto in their final pre-season match. Only 4m and did well at Derby last season.
    In with a pearl of wisdom ishoss, Good luck mate.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

final team:

----------------------------Begovic------------------------
    ----------------Caulker-------Ward--------Davies-----------
    Sanchez-----Sigurdsson-----Mata-----Fabregas------De Jong
    --------------Rooney(c)------------Diego Costa(v)----------

Bench: Gilks, Jutkiewicz, Chester, Hutton

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    final team:

----------------------------Begovic------------------------
    ----------------Caulker-------Ward--------Davies-----------
    Sanchez-----Sigurdsson-----Mata-----Fabregas------De Jong
    --------------Rooney(c)------------Diego Costa(v)----------

Bench: Gilks, Jutkiewicz, Chester, Hutton

Nice one. Not the same as me but I cannot say if it is better or worse .

Civitate

I am so eager for the season to start .

Got a new tactic this year with a small flow chart to make sure that I don't end up with "hard to trade" dead ends. Essentially I know the player I got an a replacement player for each position and will hopefully be able to adapt the team without too much issues. The only deviation from this tactic is that I got no reasonable route of adding Kevin Mirallas and Siem de Jong to the team if I really want them

My budget midfielders are to cheap and my luxury ones will probably better be replaced by other high end midfielders.
    Last edited by Adar; August 14, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

I am so eager for the season to start .

Got a new tactic this year with a small flow chart to make sure that I don't end up with "hard to trade" dead ends. Essentially I know the player I got an a replacement player for each position and will hopefully be able to adapt the team without too much issues. The only deviation from this tactic is that I got no reasonable route of adding Kevin Mirallas and Siem de Jong to the team if I really want them

My budget midfielders are to cheap and my luxury ones will probably better be replaced by other high end midfielders.
    Glad to see you finally made it into the leagues, good luck. I'm quietly confident going into this season, I've had slow starts to the last two campaigns but with a little bit of luck I'm hoping that will all change this time around, I'd love my (c) to have a good game on the opening day.

Civitate

My question of the week: Is Gylfir Sigurdsson going to be a massive success or a disaster?
    I was lucky to sign him early the last time he went to Swansea and he have been okay when playing for Tottenham in the hole. So in the first iteration of my team he was among the first to be added.

During the preseason Gylfir started out well but I am starting to worry that Monk likes the combination of Gomis and Bony so much that he will play a 4-4-2 instead of the anticipated 4-5-1 with Gylfir in the hole as the offensive midfielder. So I've decided to drop Gylfir in favour of a true budget midfielder and I am not even sure on if he is the most promising player on the Swansea midfield. Jonjo Shelvey had a very productive end of the season and Ki Sung-Yueng seem to be highly regarded despite not scoring that much in Sunderland.

What do you think, am I crazy for dropping him or for sharing my thoughts around here? .

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    Glad to see you finally made it into the leagues, good luck. I'm quietly confident going into this season, I've had slow starts to the last two campaigns but with a little bit of luck I'm hoping that will all change this time around, I'd love my (c) to have a good game on the opening day.
    Took me a while to notice that you had messed it up... ;-)

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Final team now:

----------------------------Howard-------------------------
    -------------Rosenior-------Caulker------Tomkins------------
    ----Eriksen--------Ramsey(v)----Fabregas------Barkley------
    -----------Rooney(c)----Jutkiewicz----Diego Costa(v)-------

subs: Schmeichel, Williams, Henderson, Ward

My question of the week: Is Gylfir Sigurdsson going to be a massive success or a disaster?
    I was lucky to sign him early the last time he went to Swansea and he have been okay when playing for Tottenham in the hole. So in the first iteration of my team he was among the first to be added.

During the preseason Gylfir started out well but I am starting to worry that Monk likes the combination of Gomis and Bony so much that he will play a 4-4-2 instead of the anticipated 4-5-1 with Gylfir in the hole as the offensive midfielder. So I've decided to drop Gylfir in favour of a true budget midfielder and I am not even sure on if he is the most promising player on the Swansea midfield. Jonjo Shelvey had a very productive end of the season and Ki Sung-Yueng seem to be highly regarded despite not scoring that much in Sunderland.

What do you think, am I crazy for dropping him or for sharing my thoughts around here? .
    I'm avoiding Gylfi to start with, Man Utd on the opening day has a lot to do with that but even when Gomis and Bony have started together in preseason it's been in a 4-5-1 formation with Gylfi out on the left, I don't see Monk switching to two up top anytime soon. The Gomis/Bony situation will be an interesting one to watch as neither are going to be happy sat on the bench for too long.

[QUOTE=Adar;14024957Took me a while to notice that you had messed it up... ;-)[/QUOTE]

That one's on the house

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    Final team now:

----------------------------Howard-------------------------
    -------------Rosenior-------Caulker------Tomkins------------
    ----Eriksen--------Ramsey(v)----Fabregas------Barkley------
    -----------Rooney(c)----Jutkiewicz----Diego Costa(v)-------

subs: Schmeichel, Williams, Henderson, Ward
    If your not going to be playing Henderson in GW 1 against Southampton I doubt you'll be wanting to play him in GW 2 away at Man City so you might be wasting a little bit of spending money in having a 6m player benched Ybbon, I'd probably downgrade him to a 4.5 or a 5.0 priced midfielder and use the 1.0 saved to upgrade Rosenior to a Debuchy, I'd like to see at least one Arsenal/Chelsea defender in most teams. Everton have a tough start with Chelsea and Arsenal in GW 2 and 3. Looking good though.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

This is what I'm rolling with right now, though I'm sure it'll change by 11am tomorrow. So. Many. Options.

Bego
    Caulker - Terry - PvA
    Mata - Ramsey - Young - Arnie
    Giroud - Costa - Roonpig

Myhill, Siggy, Clyne, N Taylor

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

I see very few have gone for Sturridge, a proven goal scorer in the Prem, but many have gone for Costa despite costing nearly as much and never having played in the Prem before. It threw me off, but I'm just going to have to hope Sturridge plays a blinder.

I am having second thoughts about Lukaku. He was quality last season, but then Everton do have to play both Arsenal and Chelsea the first few weeks. However both of those games are at Goodison, and Everton will start the season running I imagine as they are pretty much the same starting XI as last season.

Basically, it seems people are brushing off the Merseyside clubs prematurely. I'm keeping the faith
    Under the Patronage of Jom!