Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Upcoming BBC show "The Last Kingdom"

yeah, i wasnt fond of "the church is dumb durrhurr" even then, can do without the black and white cliches.

The Saxon Stories always viewed the church as a plague. The church and its priests are usually seen in deceptive and outright stupid acts. Father Beocca, however, represents the good and loyal side of the coin.
    The Armenian Issue

see, thats still cliche, you got one good guy, who happens to be connected to the hero. #not all priests.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    see, thats still cliche, you got one good guy, who happens to be connected to the hero. #not all priests.
    Of the two priests we have seen, Uthred has been on goodish terms with both. The other one being the bearded hostage. So it's not like the series portrays priests as bigoted, just the church itself.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

They also have priests praying in a church building. That must be a cliche for you as well...
    The Armenian Issue

we have people trying to be witty round here, and not being good at it, thats a cliche for sure.

and how can the church be bigoted, while the priest are not?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

we have people trying to be witty round here, and not being good at it, thats a cliche for sure.

and how can the church be bigoted, while the priest are not?
    My point was just that the two actual priest characters we've seen (Beocca and the hostage dude) have been decent people. Background priests may have been :wub:s, but they remain just that; background priests. We don't know them, we probably never will. So far the priests have been decent fellows

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    My point was just that the two actual priest characters we've seen (Beocca and the hostage dude) have been decent people. Background priests may have been :wub:s, but they remain just that; background priests. We don't know them, we probably never will. So far the priests have been decent fellows
    Oh, you will. You definitely will know them.
    The Armenian Issue

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

A better episode this week, though Utred is still behaving like an utter cad. It'll be interesting to see how they turn him around and make him likable, but it'll take some doing.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I doubt they will make him likeable.

Blog Entries

Maybe likeable is the wrong word. Even an anti-hero needs some qualities that endear him to the audience. Ragnar (Vikings) is far from an angel but he has qualities that make the character likeable. Utred could be honourable without the petulance. Instead he's consistently self serving and throws a tantrum every time things go against him. He comes up with plans which could make his lot better and then makes a balls of them, he could at least be smart.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last week he came up with the plan to defeat Ubber but when he was told to go straight to the king to tell of his part he refused and allowed Odda the Younger to take the credit.

This week he heads off with his small force to raid disguised as Danes, yet the first time he's asked who he is he gives his real name! and leaves a witness (priest).

Being such a dumbass just makes him even harder to like.

He's a total , but the women are getting progressively hotter, so I approve of it all.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The most recent episode was really good

The duel between Leofric and Uhtred was awesome. Much better than I thought it would be. Alfred's performance was awesome as well

Promo for the finale

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I liked the finale but the ending felt a bit rushed.

Also mad that Leofric died....My favorite character besides Alfred

Hope it gets renewed. It is a good show in its own right, but what makes it even better is that it airs in the offseason between GoT and Vikings.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Really enjoyed the show, damn good finale too. Was a bit worried they wouldn't make the books justice, but they really managed to make it good. I'd even say it's better than Vikings, though the latter has some fantastic battle scenes, TLK has a better overall plot imo (not surprising since it's based on a coherent story, unlike Vikings which is just a bunch of historical events and legends merged together).

just a little laugh, aparently this is "the thinking mans game of thrones" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ne-review.html

seems now that a fantasy show dares being mainstream (for like, 5 years), the snobs are sharpening their monocles.

Blog Entries

Never really got out of the made for TV vibe. It was okay but killing Utred's child to make him seem less of a tool was extreme and didn't really work for me.

Killing Leofric was a huge mistake, replacing him with that goof and the nutty nun smacked of lazy writing.

Roll on the return of Vikings.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Finished it.

I honestly found it watchable but pretty mediocre. Way too many caricature characters.

Loved it myself, cant wait for season 2. (tell me its getting renewed pl0x). Back then by watching the trailers and all i didnt think Alfred and Uhtred were casted well but i was quite happily mistaken, both actors did their job perfectly in my opinion.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

The show was meh.

The person cast as Uthred didn't have the physical presence or temperament to pull of being a Viking Warrior. He looked more like a sculpted gym-bod instead of a strong man.

In addition, and whilst I liked that they attempted to bring authenticity into the battle scenes, they often failed to follow through with it. The final fight started fairly well, but quickly just degenerated into the same old hack-and-slash, every man for himself combat scenes we're accustomed to.