Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upcoming BBC show "The Last Kingdom"

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

The guy who invented "Restrictions by nation" on youtube videos should be found and keelhauled.

I mean THE POINT of trailer is for me to watch it and get me exited. But I bloody cant so

The Armenian Issue

Citizen

Thanks man.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    The guy who invented "Restrictions by nation" on youtube videos should be found and keelhauled.
    Indeed

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I can't even watch this though since I don't have BBC. I think it's true for everyone else.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Citizen

I got BBC

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I can't even watch this though since I don't have BBC. I think it's true for everyone else.
    pay for a subscription.
    Last edited by Påsan; August 31, 2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: removed the insinuation
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Patrician

I'd rather not, I don't even watch television itself and my big screen has been broken for over a year. Our cable is free anyway and it would be too much work to try and get an extra channel.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Jeez... anglo-saxon historiography sure is annoying at times... it's just the WW2 videogames thing all over again...

It's ridiculous that we have two thousand million movies, series and games about the (pretty much insignificant) Dark Ages Britain and close to nothing (decent) on infinitely more relevant stuff like the Thirty Years War or the Ottomans (Siege of Vienna). I'll still watch it and it does interest me greatly (I like history and not just related to my own country)... but it's annoying to see how the tiniest border skirmish between some petty chieftains is given more more importance than actual important events just because there was no englishman around to take credit for what the russians (or the prussians ¬¬) did.

(By the way, don't take the comment as a nationalistic rant against the brits or the americans, no grudges against them, but rather as a complain about intentionally biased historiography). I know that the choice of what to base a movie, show or game on is largely dependant on what the audiences want to see... but the reason why they want to see that is because they have been bombed with bias since childhood.

Will they ever get tired of flooding our brain with Saxons, Gettysburg, D-Day or the Armada and look for inspiration somewhere else? It's not like one has to have a connection with the story to be interested in it. Western people enjoy samurais after all, don't they?

Ok. Rant over. The show does actually look good, definately a lot better than the huge disappointment Vikings was.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; September 13, 2015 at 11:57 AM.

The English make, what the English want.

Well I mean, countries entertainment industries make things that appeal to their customers. It would be pretty weird for say a Greek show to focus on the Saxons wouldn't ya think? Well think about how TV exec's probably feel about covering the Roman-Islam wars? Even though we can all agree that would be totally bitchin!

Citizen

World needs more thirty years war, I agree on that. Sadly the aglocentric media from the anglo countries dont seem to be interested.

Now if EU could collaborate into making a European answer to Hollywood economically feasible, there could be such movies. I doubt Hollywood or England would ever care about history they were not part in or not part of popular culture doe.

So thats why you have two major series on the same event in dark age Britain and none for the noumerus other exiting events of history.
    Last edited by Påsan; September 13, 2015 at 01:47 PM.

7wE PWe
    We prefer to identify with the winners.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Citizen

Except from when they are spartans, crusaders or samurai apperantly.

I'd say the Spartans won strategically at the Hot Gates; the Crusaders distracted Islamic expansion; and katana.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Patrician

Western Samurai movies really are the worst. Last Samurai wasn't bad but my god so much of it was wrong.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Well I mean, countries entertainment industries make things that appeal to their customers. It would be pretty weird for say a Greek show to focus on the Saxons wouldn't ya think?
    That might be true for countries with smaller movie industries, but the British and specially, the american TV/movie industries are pretty much globalized these days. They did not make Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings with just americans in mind, did they?

Well think about how TV exec's probably feel about covering the Roman-Islam wars? Even though we can all agree that would be totally bitchin!
    That's my point. They don't do it because people are not interested, but people are not interested because they have been bathed in their own country's propaganda for years. And it sucks. I myself had not even heard the word ottoman until after highschool... but once you get into it, you grow an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    World needs more thirty years war, I agree on that. Sadly the aglocentric media from the anglo countries dont seem to be interested.
    I would be happy even if they did a movie on the English Civil war properly depicting the period... I could even force myself to digest yet even another Henry VIII movie as far as it was a serious, thorough, unbiased biopic with a wider scope (european politic/religious struggles rather than a soap opera about love and divorce by beheading). But honestly I'm astounded that one of the most interesting periods in history (16th. and 17th. centuries) are so underrepresented out of Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and the Armada and Pocahontas...

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K
    We prefer to identify with the winners.
    Well, there have been winners in history other brits and americans. As a matter of fact, Britain was pretty much a craphole until a few hundred years ago. In the 9th century (where the show takes place), Britain was not preciselly the "Land of the Winners". We are talking of the time of the Carolingian Empire, the Caliphate of Cordoba, Macedonian dynasty Byzantium or the Abbasids...

The fact that Britain and the US have dominated the world for the better part of the past 200 years does not make them the center of the world of the previous thousands of years. And specially holding absolute power in a globalized world should go hand by hand with some historical responsability. I think we live in a period past brainwashing propaganda. And most of the time the character who is presented in a glorified way has nothing to do with its actual historical counterpart. For instance, take the example of the Armada or Henry VIII, if we were to believe the movies, we would think that England, Henry or Elizabeth where the most important stuff in the period, when the truth is that they all were second rate at the time.

I'd rather be presented with facts (or as close to the facts as unbiased, scientific historiography allows) and draw my own conclussions rather than just swallowing a nationalistic, hagiographic fairy tale which has little to do with what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan
    Except from when they are spartans, crusaders or samurai apperantly.
    Well, people had no problem relating to the Soviets, the Prussians or a storm. Of course, for anglosaxon historiography those words translate to "101 airbone division", "Wellington" and "Elizabeth".

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga
    Last Samurai wasn't bad but my god so much of it was wrong.
    That's actually a pretty good example of what's wrong about the movie industry. Can't we really have a nice movie about Japan without a hot murican as a protagnist? Are we really so unimaginative that we can't enjoy or connect with a movie if we can't relate with the nationality, culture or even race of the main characters?
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; September 13, 2015 at 06:39 PM.

Patrician

Everything in that movie was imagined though.
    The Gatling guns, the protagonists, what was happening. It's really just the story of Saigo Takamori plus Tom Cruise and a distorted version of that event.