Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: BBC to rip off "Game of Thrones" and "Vikings"

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Maybe they should have gone with something a bit more different than vikings for the BBC. I'm affraid it will be too similar to that.

Spain during the reconquista, the political intrigues of the Holy Roman Empire in the medieval period including the Teutonic order's rise to power, The dutch struggle for independence against Spain in the pike and shot era, the first conquests of Europe in America and their interactions with the natives.. there's room for a lot of things where most people really dont know that much about, so it leaves more room for wonder and surprises. Unless they look it up.

I mean, with anything medieval its always about france and england it seems. The Holy Roman Empire is never seen, aside from a few soldiers in Kingdom of Heaven. With it being a collection of many countries, I feel that the tensions of that alone could make for a great series. The teutonic rise to power could also be included in this to some extent.
    I don't see a problem with a the British broadcasting cooperation making TV about British history. If you want to seen Spanish, Dutch, Germany history set in the dark ages, then Spanish, Dutch and German TV companies might be your best hope.

Anyway. The dark ages is a fascinating period of history that has has very little mainsteam coverage wherever it's set.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

We really have reached a sad state of affairs in historical programming when anything with swords and medieval sounding names is considered a 'rip off' of game of thrones. Is Eastenders a 'rip off' of coronation street? Is Downton Abbey a 'rip off' of Upstairs Downstairs? Why can't we just have a genre of 'Medieval epic' like we have modern soap operas, Imperial period dramas, sitcoms, etc.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Pĺsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Simple: Beacuse Stav does not like the BBC.

Anyway I'd personally love something from the thirty years war. But nobody knows wtf the thirty years war was in the Anglosphere so good luck getting anything from there. The english civil war, little more than a sideshow to the real conflict in Europe, have gotten twice, if not trice the media coverage.

Whose fault is that? Well mainly the European nations who let the Anglos monopolize the quality media. Germany and France should get their thumbs out their asses and start to produce some historical epics of their own.

Since you know, their history is worth telling.

If it's the Beeb I reckon the restrictions on Sex and Gore will count against it. That's why HBO is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pĺsan View Post
    The english civil war, little more than a sideshow to the real conflict in Europe,
    I don't think it's accurate to describe the ECW that way. They were pretty much separate conflicts.
    Last edited by Markas; July 18, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I'm pleased they are making this series, I've been waiting a long time for this.
    Currently following these promising mods - Imperia Antiquitatis by Splenyi
    Traits, Talents, and Toadies
    by Hellbent
    Real Roman Reforms
    by Aodh Mor
    Unit Icons project
    by Bullgod
    Also recommended:
    City Sack, Liberation and Diplomatic Options
    by Dresden

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Sex and gore? That doesn't really matter, if the story is good and the characters are well fleshed out then I can watch it.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

As long as it's not as bad as Atlantis. I don't think I could bear to watch any Uhtred if he's going to be like he was in the books, Warlord Chronicles would've been much more interesting if only they hadn't made Merlin so recently. If they make it as good as the White Queen was last year though, I'll be very happy.
    ...ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Default Re: BBC to make adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's "Tha Last Kingdom"

So when does it start?

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I hope there are some people from Rome involved in this.

It is fantastic that this is a thing. Instead of just recycling the same old same old they are branching out into making books into films. Fantastic, turns out not everything requires a super original screenplay when books are writing compelling stories that make great TV shows. When Sharpe and Hornblower were made (less of the hornblower really) I hoped that was going to spawn a few more historical dramas and after years I'd given up hope then pow, GoT, Vikings and more.

I'm interested, I thought the books were pretty good, although I think Cornwell's best work was the Warlord chronicles. Also lol at this being a ripoff of GoT.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Alternatively, to create a historic series with surprises, an alternate scenario can be used which allows the story to be surprising like game of thrones is, to get that suspense of not knowing what will happen. It should stay within reason of course, and would require a lot of historical research to determine what realisticly could have happened.

What if Hannibal got his reinforcements from Carthage?
    Such a series could start with establishing the situation as it was, with Hannibal's great victory at Cannae and moving forward from there.. first giving the idea there wont be reinforcements but surprising audiences when reinforcements do show up! Rome's position could weaken, and perhaps while Carthage and Rome are bleeding each other dry, other nations could take advantage of this.

What if Julius Caesar was not assasinated? A very familiar story thats been told many times, though this could actually make for an interesting retelling. Or what if Pompey defeated him?

What if the knight's templar where not destroyed?

What if Alexander the great did not die young?

What if the Goths became a dominant power instead of getting destroyed from all sides?

What if Japan kept their isolation?

What if Hitler never came to power?

What if the french revolution never happened?

what if the south won the american civil war?

What if the French defeated the British in their conquest of America?

What if England completely conquered France during the 100 years war?

So many possible scenarios..

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Alternatively, to create a historic series with surprises, an alternate scenario can be used which allows the story to be surprising like game of thrones is, to get that suspense of not knowing what will happen. It should stay within reason of course, and would require a lot of historical research to determine what realisticly could have happened.

What if Hannibal got his reinforcements from Carthage?
    Such a series could start with establishing the situation as it was, with Hannibal's great victory at Cannae and moving forward from there.. first giving the idea there wont be reinforcements but surprising audiences when reinforcements do show up! Rome's position could weaken, and perhaps while Carthage and Rome are bleeding each other dry, other nations could take advantage of this.

What if Julius Caesar was not assasinated? A very familiar story thats been told many times, though this could actually make for an interesting retelling. Or what if Pompey defeated him?

What if the knight's templar where not destroyed?

What if Alexander the great did not die young?

What if the Goths became a dominant power instead of getting destroyed from all sides?

What if Japan kept their isolation?

What if Hitler never came to power?

What if the french revolution never happened?

what if the south won the american civil war?

What if the French defeated the British in their conquest of America?

What if England completely conquered France during the 100 years war?

So many possible scenarios..
    What if the Persians had won at Kadesia?
    What if Bâbak Xorramdin's uprising had succeeded?
    What if the Mongols had been defeated by their Turkic/Chinese/Persian/other enemies?

Or, in keeping with the English theme, what if the Saxons had won at Hastings?

We'll miss our mutton and beef.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Only read Azincourt (think they are making a movie about that one too) and the Warlord Chronicles, both are outstanding. I guess if they do the show right it will be very good!

(oh and ps, GoT and Vikings are real bad IMO )
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Only read Azincourt (think they are making a movie about that one too) and the Warlord Chronicles, both are outstanding. I guess if they do the show right it will be very good!

(oh and ps, GoT and Vikings are real bad IMO )
    Must be joking they are not just bad, awful !

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Must be joking they are not just bad, awful !
    How so?

I think he is being ironic.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

As far as the five episodes of Vikings I saw I actually enjoyed it.
    Game of Thrones on the other hand had me quit after two seasons.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I have bought each of the Saxon stories by Cornwell on their release day, so I am immensely excited by this announcement and will be looking forward to this with extreme pleasure!

I am only hoping they cast Uthred with an intriguing actor. He must be a Northumbrian with an anti-hero stance and somewhat of a grimacing face.

I'm going for Charlie Hunnam - a Geordie native.

Is anyone going to actually substantiate a reason why Game of Thrones is a) now the original source for all vaguely medieval entertainment or b) terrible?
    ...ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.