Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

Default Re: BBC to rip off "Game of Thrones" and "Vikings"

Those were the worst films, and probably would be revised to be a social commentary and a politically correct critique of imperialism.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

They should also use the Zeppelin "Over the Hills and Far Away" as the show theme. Or maybe "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You." That's a good song for a soldier.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; July 10, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    You know what'd be a good series: Ashoka the Great, Cyrus the Great, Pacal the Great, most people have never even heard of these people.
    It's annoying that the same stories get told over and over, I mean they're good stories, and deserve to be retold, but not at the expense of the entire history: it's practically the world being completely ignored, come on.
    What's so great about Pacal the Great? As far as Maya kings go he's really more of a footnote than anything. He was the ruler of a smallish kingdom on the western frontier of the Maya world and didn't make great waves in the politics and history of the real heartland where things were actually going on that would make great film. He only really got the appellation "the Great" because Palenque happened to be preserved pretty well and much of the architectural and artistic hallmarks and wonders can be traced to his reign, but even so I doubt it'd have been such a great city compared to Tikal or Calakmul or Chichen Itza or what have you. More fitting Maya kings to base stories around would be Jasaw Chan K'awiil, Yuknoom Ch'en (also called "the Great" and much more deservingly), Hunac Ceel, and so on.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    A new Sharpe would have been cool. Could have started in India too.
    "Sharpe's Pension"

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    You know what'd be a good series: Ashoka the Great, Cyrus the Great, Pacal the Great, most people have never even heard of these people.
    It's annoying that the same stories get told over and over, I mean they're good stories, and deserve to be retold, but not at the expense of the entire history: it's practically the world being completely ignored, come on.

I don't think Alfred the Great's era has actually been told a lot.

do people understand what a rip off is?
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Sometimes they are homages.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Don't really want another Sharpe, perfectly fine with the old one.

I want to see something one the Punic Wars or something. Maybe an actual war series about an ancient war?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Terrible books.

Will probably watch the series since I watch everything anyway.

Denmark are making a movie rip off of Vikings too due 2016. Story spans from Sweden, Frnace, Moorish Spain and Morocco though so not just England.

"We're going to make a ing Viking movie! There has been many Viking movies, but this will be the first good one!" - Danish Director.

Stellan (Everything) and Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood, Generation Kill) will probably star.
    Last edited by Påsan; July 11, 2014 at 07:01 AM.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    I don't think Alfred the Great's era has actually been told a lot.
    I was going to mention that too. I can't actually think of many recent films or TV series set in that era, apart from Vikings (which I haven't seen yet). I haven't read the Saxon Stories series either, although I've enjoyed a lot of Cornwell's other books, but there is plenty of space for a new story set in the Dark Ages.

When you think about it, there aren't actually that many historical dramas on TV at all. The majority, especially in Britain, are either period dramas or first/second world war based.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Terrible books.

Will probably watch the series since I watch everything anyway.

Denmark are making a movie rip off of Vikings too due 2016. Story spans from Sweden, Frnace, Moorish Spain and Morocco though so not just England.

"We're going to make a ing Viking movie! There has been many Viking movies, but this will be the first good one!" - Danish Director.

Stellan (Everything) and Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood, Generation Kill) will probably star.
    Source? I'm genuinely interested.
    I'm looking forward to this. The Viking series was my introduction to Cornwell

Comes Domesticorum

Is every Danish actor called Skarsgard?

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

The only Skarsgards I know of, including Stellan and Alexander, are all related. And they're Swedish.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Is every Danish actor called Skarsgard?
    There is a father and there is a son.
    And they arent Danish. They are Swedish.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I also hear there is a second younger son, also wanting to be an actor?! not sure about it.
    And i dont care, i only know these two, because they are actualy famous world wide.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 11, 2014 at 03:38 PM.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

He is from a performing family.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    There is a father and there is a son.
    And they arent Danish. They are Swedish.

I also hear there is a second younger son, also wanting to be an actor?! not sure about it.
    And i dont care, i only know these two, because they are actualy famous world wide.
    Bill Skarsgard is who you are referring to, he is in the show Hemlock Grove on Netflix. He isn't too bad.

Bill Skarsgard is who you are referring to, he is in the show Hemlock Grove on Netflix. He isn't too bad.
    Possibly, since father and Older Brother arent exactly bad actors, they are actualy quite decent.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default BBC to make adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's "Tha Last Kingdom"

I must say, I'm looking forward to this. I loved the books

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2014/07/mark-wallace-game-of-thrones-has-revived-interest-in-the-dark-ages-a-time-of-fact-and-fantasy.html

In the UK, the BBC has just announced that it will be producing a TV adaption of Bernard Cornwell’s Saxon Stories novels. The books are brilliant, as with Sharpe and the rest of Cornwell’s offerings, and should make a good series. I hereby predict it will feature muscly, tattooed blokes travelling across 9th century England to chop up monks and/or pagans, combined with a hefty dollop of sex, magic and political scheming.
    For all those similarities to Vikings and other series, The Last Kingdom (as the BBC has titled their Cornwell adaptation) should be pretty good, if done properly – I’m already looking forward to it.

Default Re: BBC to make adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's "Tha Last Kingdom"

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Maybe they should have gone with something a bit more different than vikings for the BBC. I'm affraid it will be too similar to that.
    Spain during the reconquista,
    Too sensitive what with Christians reclaiming their lands from Muslims... in an era of Islamophobia vs extreme correctness, your bound to insult a lot of people muslims and extreme liberals mostly but still...

Aside from that, film and tv makers have a tendency of displaying crusaders, knight etc... as the bad guys, blinded by religion the Spaniards could very well end up being portrayed as the bad guys

the political intrigues of the Holy Roman Empire in the medieval period including the Teutonic order's rise to power,
    wouldn't work with a modern audience, since they hardly know anything about it, and Germans in general (your biggest target audience for something like this) have been thought to be ashamed of history they only look forward

I would watch it though

The dutch struggle for independence against Spain in the pike and shot era
    That would be pretty awesome, as it would give us lot's of action and some intrigue and pike and shot is possible to make look good on screen as Alatriste has shown:

the first conquests of Europe in America and their interactions with the natives..
    god no, that always ends up as evil Europeans vs enlightened nature harmony indian who has no concept of killing anything

there's room for a lot of things where most people really dont know that much about, so it leaves more room for wonder and surprises. Unless they look it up.

I mean, with anything medieval its always about france and england it seems. The Holy Roman Empire is never seen, aside from a few soldiers in Kingdom of Heaven. With it being a collection of many countries, I feel that the tensions of that alone could make for a great series. The teutonic rise to power could also be included in this to some extent.
    the problem is that productions are expensive, and studio's will want to earn their money back, so if they can't be sure of success they won't take the risk.

Your idea about the HRE is awesome, but there isn't a big enough target audience for it