Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

Default Re: Upcoming BBC show "The Last Kingdom"

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Never really got out of the made for TV vibe. It was okay but killing Utred's child to make him seem less of a tool was extreme and didn't really work for me.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Killing Leofric was a huge mistake, replacing him with that goof and the nutty nun smacked of lazy writing.

Roll on the return of Vikings.
    Agree with everything you wrote

Proud to be a real Prussian.

So I watched this up to episode 3... and my initial impressions were correct.
    Kun-Fury made a more realistic representation of "viking age" then this show. Uthred teaching Saxons how to fight in a shiedwall? Did they ever open a ing history book? No, okay, we get it, history is "boring" to average BBC audience, I guess, but did they even read any of Cornwell's books, on which this crap was supposed to be based on? First ing chapter of the first book, it is rather obvious that shieldwall was a part of Saxon military tactics for centuries. And what the hell are those square shields? Saxons had round shields and often looked very similar to the Danes. In this show, they look like some kind of budget version of crusaders. Ubba and Gutrum are dressed in some fantasy-looking crap, overall Danes look more like Nords from Skyrim then actual Norsemen from 800s. Uthred's sword (and other weapons as well) looks like something they had to pick up at walmart toy section 5 minutes before they started filming. Half the characters look nothing like they were described in books.
    What rustled my jimmies was the complete lack of effort to follow neither historical accuracy, nor the book itself. Its just a cheap attempt to cash in the hype over viking-themed stuff, from Vikings TV show (which is not very accurate, but aeons better then LK) to games like Skyrim. It does not justice to the amazing book series.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I really liked the show and I'm looking forward to playing some Age of Charlemagne in the next couple of days!

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    So I watched this up to episode 3... and my initial impressions were correct.
    Kun-Fury made a more realistic representation of "viking age" then this show. Uthred teaching Saxons how to fight in a shiedwall? Did they ever open a ing history book? No, okay, we get it, history is "boring" to average BBC audience, I guess, but did they even read any of Cornwell's books, on which this crap was supposed to be based on? First ing chapter of the first book, it is rather obvious that shieldwall was a part of Saxon military tactics for centuries. And what the hell are those square shields? Saxons had round shields and often looked very similar to the Danes. In this show, they look like some kind of budget version of crusaders. Ubba and Gutrum are dressed in some fantasy-looking crap, overall Danes look more like Nords from Skyrim then actual Norsemen from 800s. Uthred's sword (and other weapons as well) looks like something they had to pick up at walmart toy section 5 minutes before they started filming. Half the characters look nothing like they were described in books.
    What rustled my jimmies was the complete lack of effort to follow neither historical accuracy, nor the book itself. Its just a cheap attempt to cash in the hype over viking-themed stuff, from Vikings TV show (which is not very accurate, but aeons better then LK) to games like Skyrim. It does not justice to the amazing book series.
    You might enjoy this humorous video:

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

It's the leather that irks me most.

Leather left untreated is not an armour!
    And when it is treated (boiled in wax or however it was historically done, it's a bit unclear), it's nothing like you see in film or television, or read about in fantasy and pseudo-historical books.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is knitted chainmaill so difficult to do?

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

If you mean knitted as in the old timey fake mail shirts which were literally died knitwork, that's almost just as bad.

Just give them something gambeson like, a bit early for the gambesons you usually see in re-enactment but still loads better.

Or just have them create proper mail hauberks. These things don't have an expiration date, they could be used for dozens of projects, and with some minor touching up an 8th century mail coat can perfectly be adapted to a 12th century one
    Last edited by Manco; February 18, 2016 at 06:17 AM.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    You might enjoy this humorous video:

That was really good, thanks!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Nice!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Last Kingdom (BBC)

Yes please! And soon too

What's with historical show trailers and weird, illfitting modern music though?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

About time.

This music is terrible though.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Did anyone else see season 2 yet? I'm really enjoying this show, the story/setting is pretty interesting and the way they rotate Uhtreds gang (and the villains) works great. I think that's one area where this show has a leg up on vikings, where everyone died and then they only bring in some new guys because the main character is about to die. I think the only thing I dislike is the battle scenes where Uhtred goes "rambo" and cuts his way through the other army. Since everyone fights as a shield wall, you clearly see that it would be suicidal if most enemy soldiers weren't totally ignoring him.

mild spoilers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I thought the dead horseman thing was really overdone, I think he was in 3(?) episodes even when they know who he is. Kind of silly.

The brothers attacking Aethelflaed's camp was one of the best scenes so far, really well done imho. Might be something really common in cinema but I haven't seen many like it.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

It's a good thing that crap music from the trailer did not appear in season 2.

I just finished watching the 2nd season, empr_guy, and I have to say I'm massively impressed. Especially with that raid on the camp scene, if you know what I'm talking about. Really well done how they did that one continuous take/shot. The character development was fantastic as well.

2nd season was even better than the first! Massive improvement. Also though Ubba still was a better antagonist, the brothers were awesome too!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I just started watching the series a few days ago and binge watched the entire first season. I read the books about 4 or so years ago, but I've got to say I prefer the TV show.

Uhtred and Alfred are so much more infuriating in the books, they never get anything done and Uhtred gets blamed for anything that goes wrong. I feel like the show didn't set up Uhtred's reputation as a warrior well enough, it's just like from the second episode everyone thinks he's a one man army.
    Also it was a bit disappointing that his sword wasn't named until the first episode of Season 2, and that his catchphrase "Destiny is all" is only said in English rather than Danish.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Second season was good, fast paced (I think about two years go by in one episode, when he's a slave) but it works well for this show. It still bugs me Alfred is still such an ungrateful wimp.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I haven't gotten around to watching this yet for some reason. Guess I should do that but I don't want it to become a chore.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    I just started watching the series a few days ago and binge watched the entire first season. I read the books about 4 or so years ago, but I've got to say I prefer the TV show.

Uhtred and Alfred are so much more infuriating in the books, they never get anything done and Uhtred gets blamed for anything that goes wrong. I feel like the show didn't set up Uhtred's reputation as a warrior well enough, it's just like from the second episode everyone thinks he's a one man army.
    Also it was a bit disappointing that his sword wasn't named until the first episode of Season 2, and that his catchphrase "Destiny is all" is only said in English rather than Danish.
    I remember his catchphrase as "Fate is inexorable."
    The Armenian Issue

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I remember his catchphrase as "Fate is inexorable."
    Ah yep you're right for the books, "Wyrd bith ful araed".
    So that's an even bigger sacrilege, replacing "fate is inexorable" with "destiny is all" which is what he says in the show at the end of each episode's recap.