Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

Default Re: The Last Kingdom (Third Season Teaser)

I binged watched the season 4 some days back. Way better than S03 and it has come as a great saviour after being thoroughly disappointed from Vikings which became shite over the years.
    @Seth
    Yeah nothing about the wolf banner. Would've been an interesting add.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: The Last Kingdom (Fourth Season Out)

They made way too many changes from the books but still very enjoyable. This is way better than Season 3 and probably many times better than Vikings.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Just finished watching S04. The same problems with accuracy still persist, but overall it's enjoyable. Liked the addition of Sigtryggr (sp?), a charismatic villain who has understandable goals and some complexity.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It's unfortunate though that the main villain of the show survived. Was really looking forward to seeing her finally getting offed.

The filming locations made me remember what the LotR movies missed out on.

Patrician

Where was this filmed? Britain? Ireland?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Where was this filmed? Britain? Ireland?
    Hungary. If you look closely, many of the extras look more Hunnic than Anglo-Saxon (obviously, given the history of their ethnogenesis, Hungarians can look very different from one another, but on average there is more of Central Asian SE European elements than in NW Europeans). Also, the credits feature many Hungarian names.
    Lots of historical (maybe fantasy ones too, have to look that up) movies/series are made in Hungary these days. It's cheap and apparently has enough unspoilt landscape (the lush meadows in this series made me think of Rohan). IIRC Marco Polo was also filmed there.

Patrician

I could have sworn that they filmed Marco Polo in like Kazakhstan or something.

Somethings that I think the TV show is missing from the books:

• Importance of reputation (use of his wolf banner and whatnot) for Uthred
    • Uhtred's love for being on the sea
    • Uhtred's dilemmas when choosing to follow or giving his oaths
    • The importance of fighting in a shield wall
    • Detailed description of the fights - step by step
    • Uhtred's cunning in battle or capture of towns

There are many changes to events and characters, sure, but these are the concepts that are very important in the books. Not that the TV show is bad but these are important differences.
    The Armenian Issue

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Somethings that I think the TV show is missing from the books:

• Importance of reputation (use of his wolf banner and whatnot) for Uthred
    • Uhtred's love for being on the sea
    • Uhtred's dilemmas when choosing to follow or giving his oaths
    • The importance of fighting in a shield wall
    • Detailed description of the fights - step by step
    • Uhtred's cunning in battle or capture of towns

There are many changes to events and characters, sure, but these are the concepts that are very important in the books. Not that the TV show is bad but these are important differences.
    They did a very good non CGI shield wall battle earlier. But that wide shot of it says budge burner - time extras and practice. Why do think the suits in Hollywood flipped out when realized how big Kubrick's Spartacus final battle was going to be.

Detailed description of the fights - step by step
    The Bard would have words because last time I checked I can't properly reconstruct Agincourt from Henry V.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Recently binged the whole series, and holy . Amazing, go watch if you haven't.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

but what I can't get over is FATHER BEOCCA AND STEAPPA DYING. My heart is broken...especially for Father Beocca.

I guess they changed some locations froms the books because it saved money to not create Cheaster etc. but i ask myself what is of the other Uthred-son. I rewatched and in Season 2 there is another son but i have the feeling that they storywise mixed both which would cause some problems later on with the events between Uthred and Brida. Probably also to save money they decided to not let Uthred go around with a warband of ca. 100 man as in the books. Would have been cooler though.

What i wonder however is that in this show like in vikings they totally forgot to fight in shieldwalls. In both series they to that in the first battles but later on it's often just carnage and single combat. Everything i watched recently The Outlaw King, The King, The Last Kingdom, GoT, Vikings, Barbarians etc. i am astonished of the lack of formations, the lack of a bodyguard for the leader and this stupid single combat. I actually can't see it anymore when they throw canon fooder at the heroes. It really gets old.

I love The Last Kingdon as a show, though. It's actually one of the few exceptions where the series is better than the books. Cornwall chooses interesting set pieces and stories but i find him very repetitive. Every time when a shield wall appears he writes the same. Man themself etc. Exact the same sentences. Than i alway know i will skip the page what i usually never do in a book.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Patrician

I was asking the same question. They've deviated so much from the books that I don't know what is happening anymore. Wasn't Utredd's cousin actually called Utredd as well???

I saw The King and it was bloody terrible.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Season 3 and especially 4 have been weak compared to the second season in my opinion. I see them making a lot of the same mistakes as Vikings, unfortunately. Even battles aren't as cool to watch anymore since they have become slash fests.

I hope season 5 is better.

Probably gonna start reading the books this winter along with Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Season 3 and especially 4 have been weak compared to the second season in my opinion. I see them making a lot of the same mistakes as Vikings, unfortunately. Even battles aren't as cool to watch anymore since they have become slash fests.
    Yeah, it always converges on the same arsenal of blue filter, leather biker gear, liberal application of indoor torches, lots of brown, black, and dirty blue "dung ages" costumes, Hollywood Tactics, disheveled huts in the middle of a forest, and random environment noises. I recently watched another scene from "Vikings" on Youtube - the acting was alright, but the costumes (including armour) were pure cringe.

Patrician

I thought Season 3 was weaker than Season 4. They deviated so far from the books in Season 3 that I have no idea what the retained from the books from that point on. Season 1 was the best in my opinion. Season 2 started out really strong, but I think the latter half was a bit weaker. Still better than Season 3 on the whole.

Blog Entries

https://tvline.com/2021/04/30/the-la...inal-episodes/

Ending with season 5, leaving the final three books unadapted (not adapted?)

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Patrician

They really should just go for a season 6 ending. It might not matter anyway because they have already deviated a lot from the books. But hopefully the ending will be satisfying.

When is the season 5 going to release?

Blog Entries

It sounds like they only recently started shooting.

I'm gonna guess, at best, later this year, or between January -- March 2022. Probably depends on when Netflix will release it too once it is done.

I have no idea how COVID is affecting actual production speed for crews out in the field but I imagine any pre-production and post-production work inside is probably a bit more hampered. I also don't know how Hungary is handling production for any movies or shows in their country right now in general.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; May 07, 2021 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Five seasons...and a movie?

Surprised. I'm not sure how they will do it. Season five will adapt books 9 and 10 (loosely, of course) so I'm not sure if the feature film will be a weird amalgamation of books 11-13 or if it will just be its own thing.

@TDK: When will new season release, Bro? I've completely lost track of this one but pretty sure it should've been out by now.