Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to start?

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Where to start?

So regarding Ishan's comments, he requested to be added to the group so he could post here. Only problem is he's not a Citizen currently. Maybe some of the other people here can help me sort out what we should do regarding membership restrictions. The decision stated Citizens specifically, though decisions are just recommendations and it didn't expressly exclude non-Citizens from involvement. Considering the fact that this forum is deader than would be optimal for its successful execution, it's probably in our best interests to vet anyone who's capable and interested, Citizen or not. Thoughts? Concerns? Beedleblorgs?

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?662156

Created that to try and get discussion flowing again, any news on how the purge is progressing?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    So regarding Ishan's comments, he requested to be added to the group so he could post here. Only problem is he's not a Citizen currently. Maybe some of the other people here can help me sort out what we should do regarding membership restrictions. The decision stated Citizens specifically, though decisions are just recommendations and it didn't expressly exclude non-Citizens from involvement. Considering the fact that this forum is deader than would be optimal for its successful execution, it's probably in our best interests to vet anyone who's capable and interested, Citizen or not. Thoughts? Concerns? Beedleblorgs?
    Eh, curial decisions are binding for curial officials, including the Curator. There are only not binding if they are advises to HEX and then they are only non-binding to HEX. That's clearly how the passage in the TWCC was intended. Also, it's not up to a curial officials to change passed decisions, that is up to HEX.

In addition, the original draft of the decision had "full members" instead of "citizens", that was changed to "citizens" because GED specifically requested that change. Hence, if you want full members to participate, I suggest to petition HEX, specifically GED, to change the decision with regards to that.

I'm not too sure whether it's a particular good idea to circumvent the original intend of the project just to enable one member with a huge work ethos to participate. But since I don't believe that any curial project will ever succeed (for a variety of reasons, but mainly because the overwhelming majority of citizens couldn't care less ), I personally don't care one way or the other. So if you like to open this up to all full members, you can always petition HEX/GED to change the decision as he/they see fit.

Now enough of my curial by the letter aiking, how about cake everybody?
    Last edited by Aikanár; August 11, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Is it chocolate?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

We could pretend that Hex specifically told you to let him, and you do have to listen to Hex

Or he could just reapply, it's not like he would get rejected and the great purge won't be done in a week either.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

(Just venting).
    This (Ged's idea) started more than a month ago. I dont understand this delay and find it disappointing. I assume my responsibility: I like performing simple tasks and I hate the phases of preparation, so I have contributed nothing.

The delay is caused by the need to purge the old tags. GED is going through them but it's a lot of work and very time consuming.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Okay, it's not disappointing, it's frustrating

Citizen

Blog Entries

I shall remind you of that when you are fed up with tagging gizzilions of tags.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Eh, curial decisions are binding for curial officials, including the Curator. There are only not binding if they are advises to HEX and then they are only non-binding to HEX. That's clearly how the passage in the TWCC was intended. Also, it's not up to a curial officials to change passed decisions, that is up to HEX.

In addition, the original draft of the decision had "full members" instead of "citizens", that was changed to "citizens" because GED specifically requested that change. Hence, if you want full members to participate, I suggest to petition HEX, specifically GED, to change the decision with regards to that.

I'm not too sure whether it's a particular good idea to circumvent the original intend of the project just to enable one member with a huge work ethos to participate. But since I don't believe that any curial project will ever succeed (for a variety of reasons, but mainly because the overwhelming majority of citizens couldn't care less ), I personally don't care one way or the other. So if you like to open this up to all full members, you can always petition HEX/GED to change the decision as he/they see fit.

Now enough of my curial by the letter aiking, how about cake everybody?
    I'm talking with GED about the project, he's just very busy at the moment and so am I. His last PM indicated that I could handle the project how I saw fit, though as you say he also indicated he wanted to start with Citizens and go from there. Keeping it to Citizens during the formative stages is fine, though it absolutely won't be sustainable over the long term if we use that approach, which he also indicated in the post where he asked to change it. As far as Ishan in particular is concerned, he's a bit of an edge case so I'll just ask after him since we clearly need more boots on the ground.

The current order of actions I suggested we take is:

1) Post the announcement so that there's visibility and users have a chance to move their tag clouds to thread subscriptions in case their tag gets purged.
    2) Edit all usergroups so that only the Taggers Anonymous group and a few other select groups (such as Staff) can tag threads.
    3) Purge all existing tags, or alternatively, allow a couple users in this project to administer tags for a selective purge.
    4) Start going around and tagging threads with the decided upon tags for each forum area.
    5) Create some method for a member to request a tag cloud to group their project threads together.

For now, while we await that being put into motion or altered, I suggest cleaning up all of the tag proposal threads so that they each list an actual 'approved' tag list, rather than are of a suggestive nature. Just figure out if each has a reasonable consensus and go from there.
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; August 12, 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries

True that! And good to know

With regards to Ishan, he'd be more than just a pair of boots on the ground. I just wanted to point some things out in general. In case this project might be opened up to full member as well, as was my intention in the initial discussion, it'll be great to utilize Ishan's huge work ethos and potential.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm not saying anything against Ishan's work ethos (it is very admirable) but we should at least see what the Citizen's who have volunteered to do this are like in terms of work ethos before thinking about brining new people to help. Just saying.

I think the main thing is to agree on a system for general tagging, and then from that we can work on particular forums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    True that! And good to know

With regards to Ishan, he'd be more than just a pair of boots on the ground. I just wanted to point some things out in general. In case this project might be opened up to full member as well, as was my intention in the initial discussion, it'll be great to utilize Ishan's huge work ethos and potential.
    As far as I know (and I know almost nothing of what happened), Ishan was judged and is serving a sentence, and offering to him this "privilege", making an exception for him, (although in our benefit) would go against that punishment. This is in the hands of those who judged him, if someone wants to make the request.
    Last edited by mishkin; August 13, 2014 at 04:20 AM.

Blog Entries

^It is because of the spirit of the Decision and with regards to the nature of "status" (i.e. citizenship) of the participants, why I said: it is up do GED/HEX discretion to change that; we (regular citizens) cannot.

Blog Entries

My bad. My fishy brain forgets what was said just yesterday.

Any updates on this?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123