Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Music - Making the most of Wwise

Mackles's Avatar Roma Invicta

Default Modifying Music - Making the most of Wwise

This guide is intended to give users a thorough grounding in the audio modding tool, Wwise, released by Creative Assembly, in conjunction with Audiokinetic. It will walk you through terminology, what areas you can and will need to edit and, hopefully, enable more people to give music modding a proper go while getting the most out of Wwise. It might look a bit wordy but that is to keep things as simple as possible so that anyone can jump in and understand what they are doing.

Throughout this guide I will be using screenshots from an older version of the R:TW Music Mod project, which I helped work on and got me familiar with the tool.

Disclaimer
    Please remember that you can only modify the game with content that you own the copyright to and must not include any material that infringes the IP property or copyright of any other company or individual – as per the terms set out by the ROME II EULA you accepted on installation of the game.
    In the same vein, please do not use this tutorial to aid in any form of copyright infringement. If you do then it is on your own head, you're a bloody eejit and I'm not your friend. Now that unpleasantness is out of the way...

Pre-Requisites and Installation To fully create and implement a music mod for Rome II you will need:

1. The Wwise Audio Modding Tool
    Available from this link, to download you must read and accept the EULA. Ensure you are running a version of Total War Rome 2 that includes patch 12. Install Wwise version 2013.1.1 provided with the kit making sure to only install the options Authoring Data, Authoring Binaries 64-bit and SDK(Common). Extract “rome2_music_wwise_project.zip” to a suitable location. Ensure before you begin that you do not have any other versions of Wwise installed on your computer.

(N.B. Included with the download is some basic documentation written by CA. It is highly recommended that you read this and use it in conjunction with this tutorial.
    )

2. Pack File Manager
    For those of you with experience of modding Rome II you should already be well versed with this tool. If not, head over to this link to grab it. This guide will not serve as an introduction in how to use PFM, so have a look through some of the other available tutorials if you are feeling unsure about what to do.

3. Your audio files of choice in .wav format
    It is imperative that the music you will be importing is in .wav format. If not it will not work, plain and simple. Converters are freely available online. I use this one to convert from .mp3. Obviously this entails that you are able to obtain the music in a format that can be converted to .wav, and you have permission to use this music as per the EULA you agreed to.

Navigating the Wwise Layout You will want to refer back to this section throughout the tutorial until you are familiar with Wwise. Here I will name the various sections and terminology which I will periodically refer back to in. I will also provide a brief explanation that should make a lot more sense once you’ve finished reading the next few sections than when you browse them now.

Before you go any further, the first thing you should do upon opening up the example project is to hit F10, which will switch you to the Interactive Music Layout within Wwise. From here you can access everything you need to import music and set everything up correctly.

Spoiler for Key Definitions
    Before launching into an overview of what you are seeing in Wwise as a whole, here are the key levels within Wwise you will need to navigate through. Look at the box in the top-left of the screen, called the Project Explorer. The only location in the hierarchy here that should need to be edited is the Interactive Music Hierarchy. Opening out the virtual folders from here, you should see several different types of levels feeding back into each other. Clicking on “music”, near the top of this part of the hierarchy, should show you a screen similar to the one below.

Each type of level has its own symbol, the names of which can be seen by mousing over the corresponding symbol at the top (highlighted in the red box). These are, from top to bottom:

Music Switch Container
    Music Playlist Container
    Music Segment
    Music Track

Each of the first three levels are useful in terms of organizing your music, making it easier to see what goes will go where in game and which parts to edit for effect. As you can see with the initial set-up, it’s fairly plain where to put some stuff already. We will explore what to do with these different levels later on.

The reason I have highlighted Music Track in blue is that when you import your music this will be automatically created for each track. Generally speaking, with one important exception, you will not need to descend to this level during most of your project work.
    Spoiler for Complete Wwise Overview

1. Project Explorer
    From here you can organize your project, import music and navigate to all the various screens you’ll need.

2. Property Editor
    Important for managing transitions between tracks, as well as setting music segments to stream. Contains other functionalities of limited usefulness, or which can be accessed in other areas.

3a. Association Editor
    Accessed by selecting a Music Switch Container in the Project Explorer. Allows creation of and application of state paths to trigger music at the intended point.

3b. Playlist Editor
    Accessed by selecting a Music Playlist Container in the Project Explorer. Allows you to assign Music Segments within the selected Playlist Container to the playlist. You can then use the various options to configure how the playlist should proceed in game.

3c. Segment Editor
    Accessed by selecting a Music Segment in the Project Explorer. Not particularly useful, although you can listen to the selected segment by pressing the space bar.

4. Contents Editor
    Allows you to edit the volume of tracks, either individually or at a playlist or container level.

5. Transport Control
    Doesn’t seem to directly affect anything, so far as I can tell with my experience. You won’t need to bother with this one.

Importing and Organizing Audio This section requires you to work only in the Project Explorer (1). Importing music into Wwise is a very simple process. First, open up all the Music Switch Containers, so that you can see all the available Music Playlist Containers. Next, open up a window overlaying Wwise (if using the default layout on the right-hand side is best) with the music you wish to import. Select this music, either individually or as a batch, then drag and drop it onto the corresponding Music Playlist Container for that track/s.

For example, looking at the project overview image provided in the previous section, you should be able to see how easy it would be to import the ambient campaign music into this project. Simply bring up a window with the desired music overlaying the right-hand side of Wwise. Grab the music you want then drag and drop it onto the Music Playlist Container named “ambient”. A box should pop-up and just hit import.

For now you can content yourself with the initial set-up of Switch and Playlist containers, but later on you will see how you can manipulate these and create your own as required.

Checklist for Correct Set-Up There are two main things you will need to do to get everything working within the initial framework. First, all Music Tracks should be set to streamed, with the exception of loading screen music which the game is set up to load if needed to ensure it doesn’t stutter because of other hard-drive access. This is a simple enough process but must be carried out for each and every track individually. In the Project Explorer (1) expand out all the Music Segments and select the Music Tracks. In the Property Editor (2) you should be on the (default when opening) General Settings tab. In the top-middle section of this tab you will see an unchecked box next to the “Stream” option. Check this for every Music Track, with the exception of the loading screen music.

The other thing you need to do is to set-up the playlists for each Music Playlist Container. In the Project Explorer (1) select a Music Playlist Container and you will see the Playlist Editor (3b) come up. Initially setting up the playlist is as straightforward as importing the tracks. Simply drag and drop each Music Segment for the selected Music Playlist Container into the Playlist Editor.

There are a few things you can do in the Playlist Editor to influence how the music plays in game. There are four different playlist types that can be selected. Essentially, “Sequence Continuous” will play tracks in the order you place them, while “Random Continuous” will play tracks from the playlist at random. The Step options aren’t too difficult to get your head around, but it would be easier and more beneficial for you to learn about them through the videos recommended in the CA documentation, as opposed to me blathering on about them here. In any case, the one you are most likely to use is “Random Continuous”.

With the “Avoid Repeat” column you can set the number of other tracks that will need to play before that track can play again. If this number exceeds the total number of tracks in the playlist then it will simply not play it again until every other song in the playlist has been used once. You can also set tracks to loop for a certain number of times in the “Loop Count” column. This might not seem immediately useful although it can come in handy, such as in the below example of the campaign music playlist for the R:TW Music Mod.

Spoiler for Example Playlist – Campaign Ambient Music

Triggering Music Correctly Up till now, you’ve been a bit like an electrician. You put the light bulbs (music) in place and you’ve done a lot of the wiring to hook it all up. What’s missing, or rather what you’ve been relying on from the initial set-up, is the switches to turn the bulbs on in the right places. These triggers in Wwise are called “State Paths”. Creating, manipulating and managaing these is done from the Association Editor (3a), accessed by selecting a Music Switch Container in the Project Explorer (1).

A State Path is a linking of individual States, chosen from the available State Groups. As these are all tied into the game itself this is not something you can edit, change or create new ones, so all you need to understand is what each State Group refers to. An explanation of some of these can be found in the CA documentation, but I will reiterate them below:
    Spoiler for State Group Definitions
    battle_intensity:
    Is determined by the percentage of units close to the camera that are in combat
    battle_state:
    Can be used to set different music for deployment, battle and postbattle phases
    campaign_music_state:
    Menacing is played for one track after war is declared, prebattle is set before a battle occurs otherwise it is set to standard
    frontend_state:
    Can be used to provide a different piece of music to many different front end screens
    music_culture:
    For battle this is set based on the factions present in the battle, for campaign this is decided upon your faction and the factions you have conquered
    music_key:
    This can be used to ensure that music in one key can only jump to a piece of music in an adjacent key

To create a new State Path, you first need to add a State Group to your Switch Container. This is done by pressing the “>>” button, found above the list of current Paths. You can then add the State Groups you need, or at least think you might need. To create a new State Path, select one of the available States from each of the State Groups you have added, then press the “Add Path(s)” button. You should then see your new State Path appear in the Path column of the list below.

There may be cases where you need to include several State Groups but not need every Group for certain Paths. You must still select a State from each group, so in this scenario simply choose the top (*) option from those Groups.

The object column refers to the Music Playlist Container you want to link to each State Path. This can be done either by drag and dropping the desired Playlist Container from the Project Explorer (1) or browsing the available Playlist Containers by clicking the “…” button. Once you do this your music is hooked up and should trigger at the right times in game.
    Spoiler for Example State Paths – Campaign Music
    Here there is only one set of ambient campaign music, intended to play as standard in almost all situations. The one exception is campaign pre-battle music, for which I have created a separate path, selecting the “prebattle” State from the “campaign_music_state”. There is no current differentiation by faction culture so I have selected the (*) option from the “music_culture” Group for both Paths. With both Paths set up I have then hooked up the respective Switch Containers to the correct Paths.

Final Tweaks One thing you will probably want to do is balance out the volume of tracks in certain areas. This is most easily done from the Contents Editor (4), and can be done by adding a positive (increase volume) or negative (decrease) value in the Voice Volume column. This can be done on an individual, playlist or container level, depending on what level you are working from. This makes doing it as a batch fairly straightforward, and can then let you fine tune if you so wish.

Another area to explore at this point is transitions. Transitions are managed from the “Transitions” tab of the Property Editor (2), when you have selected either a Switch Container or Playlist Container in the Project Explorer (1). The project is set up with some basic transitions. This may not be suitable for all locations depending on the music and what states are used. To create a new transition simply click the “Add” button, located to the left of the list of existing transitions. You can then choose the Source (what you’re going from) and the Destination (what you’re going to) from the respective columns, clicking “>>” and browsing for what you need. This can be from any Music Segment, Playlist Container or Switch Container to any other Music Segment, Playlist Container or Switch Container. You can then play around with the options underneath the transitions list to customize how each individual transition should function.

Be as comprehensive as you can be when arranging transitions. One bug I had pointed out to me was that when entering the pre-battle phase one the campaign map and then neglecting to fight, the pre-battle music would continue to play to completion before switching back to ambient music, as I had set that type to carry on over the loading screen music. This was easily fixed by adding in an extra transition from pre-battle to ambient, but is an example of how simple it is to overlook these scenarios.

Speaking of which, a desirable outcome for some tracks is for them to play over the next mode. This can include, as per the example above, the pre-battle music continuing over the loading screen music, or similarly with the post-battle win/lose music over the campaign loading screen music. To do this you will need to do two things.

First, set up a transition from the track/playlist/container you wish to continue playing to the track/playlist/container you want it to play over. Depending on what and where you’re looking to play over you may need to access the Transitions panel from a Playlist or Switch Container. Set the source to play at the Exit Cue. Secondly, you will need to individually give all the tracks you want to play over a long look-ahead time. This can be accessed from each track’s Music Track, and is right underneath the Stream option. Around 1500 should do the trick.

Transferring to a Mod Pack File Once you have completed your project and are happy with the way things are working, you will want to get it working in the game. To do this:

1. In Wwise go to the sound bank layout (F7).
    2. Ensure both “Global_Music” and “Music_Data”, the windows platform and the English language are checked. (These can all be found in the area normally occupied by the Property Editor (2))
    3. Hit the generate button above them and wait for the process to complete.
    4. You will then have a “GeneratedSoundBanks” folder within the “rome2_music_wwise_project” folder that includes all the generated files.
    5. Create a mod pack including “Global_Music.bnk”, “Music_Data.bnk” and all .wem files present in the “GeneratedSoundBanks” folder. Do not include the Init.bnk file as it will not be used.

The files need to be in a folder called “audio” within the mod pack. First, go to your PFM root directory (the default place PFM saves your mods to) and create a new folder called “audio”. Copy and paste all the necessary generated files into this folder. Then open up PFM, and click on “Files -> Add -> File(s)…”, then go into the “audio” folder and select all the files. Click “Open”, then save and install your mod pack file.

Remember – once you reach the point where you generate the files you cannot edit the files in PFM after this. To make changes and updates you will need to open up Wwise again, before repeating this entire section to regenerate the files and place them in a .pack file.

N.B. Wwise doesn't delete old files from the “GeneratedSoundBanks” folder so it is best to delete the folder before generating the files each time so that old unreferenced music files no longer exist.

Frequently Asked Questions Here be answers for common problems and occurrences.

Q. I can’t import my music into the Wwise project?
    A. Wwise will only import audio tracks that are in the .wav format. Use a converter, such as Audacity, if your tracks are in the wrong format.

Q. I generated my project but no .wem files were created in the “Generated Sound Banks” folder?
    A. Check that you have set each individual track to Stream in the Music Track Property Editor. There is no multi-function so far as I know, so do them all one by one, with the exception of loading screen audio.

Q. The music isn’t working properly/at all in game?
    A. Ensure that you have assigned your music segments to their parent Music Containers. Check that all your containers are properly hooked up to the correct state paths so that the tracks play when intended.

Q. The music in game is going haywire?
    A. Check that all your containers are properly hooked up to the correct state paths so that the tracks play when intended. Remember to manage the transitions between tracks and modes correctly.

Q. How can I set up my music to play differently for each faction?
    A. This is not possible. The most you can differentiate by in this respect is by culture, and this is through the four main cultures – Roman, Barbarian, Hellenic and Eastern – rather than the by sub-culture.

Tips & Tricks Tip
    When creating a project, bear in mind that this will completely replace the vanilla music throughout the game. So if you had only completed the battle music and wanted to test this in game, there would be no music in any of the other game modes (campaign, loading screen, front end). This makes it important that you cover all bases when planning your mod.

Trick
    At the end of a battle there is a drum/cymbal sound that plays, depending on whether you win, lose or draw. These three jingles come under UI sounds, rather than music. So if you want to put in post-battle music then both the music and the sound effect will play at the same time. The work around for this is to do a manual like for like replacement of the original UI sound files with 1 second blank .wem files in PFM. These files are named:

Positive: 871911808.wem
    Negative: 803425031.wem
    Neutral: 826593738.wem

Tip
    Currently, the function for differentiating music by faction culture seems to be bugged out in certain scenarios. It is not yet known what causes this issue, so the best bet for getting it fixed is to help bring it to CA’s attention by posting in their Official Forums Support section.
    Last edited by Mackles; July 04, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
    MacklesMod - A series of mini-mods that apply tweaks, changes or fixes to Rome II & Attila
    Sigs out of date, mods ain't!

Patronized by Inarus. Constantly.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Modifying Music - Making the most of Wwise

Thank you very much, can't wait to see what I did wrong in my attempts
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Updated OP with a Tips & Tricks section, to highlight some problems and workarounds that may not be immediately obvious.
    MacklesMod - A series of mini-mods that apply tweaks, changes or fixes to Rome II & Attila

Miles

Awesome job Mackles

filou's Avatar Laetus

Many, many THANK'S for this !

What about sound effects modding?

Quote Originally Posted by Nacktschnecke96 View Post
    What about sound effects modding?
    That's currently impractical with this tool. However, if you could use trial and error to work out which file was what effect then a like for like replacement could be possible. The trouble being that Rome II has positively tons of sound effects to work through.

Thank you for quick reply!

I have a problem with Wwise programme. When I click on icon I can see only this-

[IMG][/IMG]
    Really sorry but its in Slovak language but I hope you will be able to help

So Wwise isn't working at all? Did you have any other version of Wwise (free trial for example) installed before? I would recommend deleting and re-installing to see if the problem persists.

No, I hadnt this type of program before- before releasing this program by CA I didnt even know that Wwise exist . I tried a lot of times to re-install and install Wwise but always the same problem. Its a very dissapointing for me because I was looking forward to making my own music mod- I have already songs in wav format.

Could you translate the error message?

Yes sure:
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Audiokinetic/Wwise v2013.1.1 build
    4677/Authoring/x64/Release/bin/Wwise.exe

Unable to run this application because of its parallel shared configuration is incorrect. For details, see the application event log or display using the command-line tool Sxstrace.exe.

I hope its correct...

Hmmm I wish I could be more helpful, but probably the best thing to do at this point would be to bring this issue up on the Official Support Forums.

The only other thing I can say (annoying, I know) is to check the installation process. The download comes with a word file to guide you, so did you follow the installation instructions exactly? Delete all references to Wwise on your computer then run through it again and see if the error persists.

Getting Started:
    1. Ensure you are running a version of Total War Rome 2 that includes patch 12
    2. Install Wwise version 2013.1.1 provided with the kit making sure to only install the options Authoring Data, Authoring Binaries 64-bit and SDK(Common)
    3. Extract rome2_music_wwise_project.zip to a suitable location
    4. Open rome2_music_wwise_project.wproj with Wwise version 2013.1.1

I have already posted it on the Officiall Forums but nobody replied. During installation I was following these instructions, but I dont understand number 3- what does it mean suitable location? Location where I have installed Wwise or everywhere in computer? And how can I open rome2_music_wwise_project.wproj with Wwise?

Thanks for this, just starting to wrap my head around it. I was wondering if you could upload the actual project that you used when you made your rome 1 music mod. I'd be interested to look around and kind of match up what you are saying in your tutorial to how it works out in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Clavdivs Germanicvs View Post
    I have already posted it on the Officiall Forums but nobody replied. During installation I was following these instructions, but I dont understand number 3- what does it mean suitable location? Location where I have installed Wwise or everywhere in computer? And how can I open rome2_music_wwise_project.wproj with Wwise?
    When you download the files from CA you should have unzipped the folder and have another zip file, the word file and a folder. In the folder (called ""Wwise_2013.1.1") there should be an application called "Wwise_v2013.1.1_setup". Run that and install according to the instructions provided. Then you need to unzip the "rome2_music_wwise_project.zip" file (same as for the original zip file) and put this somewhere on your computer. Desktop is good for ease of access but whatever is your preference will do. Once you've done this you should open up this folder and be able to run the "rome2_music_wwise_project", which should now be of the file type "Audiokinetic Wwise Project".

Quote Originally Posted by opock View Post
    Thanks for this, just starting to wrap my head around it. I was wondering if you could upload the actual project that you used when you made your rome 1 music mod. I'd be interested to look around and kind of match up what you are saying in your tutorial to how it works out in practice.
    Once the site maintenance calms down I'll look into putting up one of my projects as an example.

OK so agan I have uninstalled it and tryed to go step by step with tutorial.
    Pic. 1 ( here is my downloaded file and I have unzipped it with WinRar)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 2 ( here is Rome_2_music_Modding_Kit folder)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 3 ( In this picture is word file, folder and zip file which locate in Rome_2_Music_Modding_Kit)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 4 ( One of a files in Rome_2_Music_Modding_kit is folder Wwise_v2013.1.1. and in this folder I have folder Wwise_v2013.1.1_Setup_Components and app Wwise_v2013.1.1_Setup)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 5 ( In this pic I have opened app Wwise_v2013.1.1_Setup and selected Authoring Binaries 64-Bit, Authoring Data and SDK(Common), accepted the licence terms and started installing)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 6 ( When installing finished, I have returned to the Rome_2_Music_Modding_Kit folder and unzipped rome2_music_wwise_project into computer)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 7 ( Here are files which arose after unzipping rome2_music_wwise_project)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pic. 8 ( In this pic is showed what I see after clicking on rome2_music_wwise_project app so I clicked on app Wwise v2013.1.1 build 4677 64-bit which arose after installing Wwise_v2013.1.1_Setup but I see same error as before...)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have mentioned during installation ( you can see it in pic. 5) that I can register on Audiokinetic.com to update license status and latest components. Do I have to register here? Or isnt problem fact that I have installed few mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackles View Post
    When you download the files from CA you should have unzipped the folder and have another zip file, the word file and a folder. In the folder (called ""Wwise_2013.1.1") there should be an application called "Wwise_v2013.1.1_setup". Run that and install according to the instructions provided. Then you need to unzip the "rome2_music_wwise_project.zip" file (same as for the original zip file) and put this somewhere on your computer. Desktop is good for ease of access but whatever is your preference will do. Once you've done this you should open up this folder and be able to run the "rome2_music_wwise_project", which should now be of the file type "Audiokinetic Wwise Project".

Once the site maintenance calms down I'll look into putting up one of my projects as an example.
    Appreciate it! I have somewhat got a test project working but some other issues have creeped in. I got the music working in game but now I have an issue where the volume of the music is normal but all the other sound effects are super low. And still a bit confused with the transitions etc. Will definitely help to take a look at the inner workings of the Rome1 project and compare it with my own test efforts at it.

Hmm so I have it setup where it plays the pre buttonclick deploy phase music, but that keeps playing even after I click start battle and right up until the point where I make contact and then it switches to the battle music. I can't figure out how to set it up to play marching music after you click start battle and before the armies actually meet.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast