Thread: Austrian line speaking French.. What went wrong?

Icon5 Austrian line speaking French.. What went wrong?

Hello there!

I tried some basic modding. I decided I wanted the Moscow militia from this mod:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-fix-upc-2-61)

So what I did was remove all other units from the "units to exclusive faction"
    Then I added the file to the data folder and wrote the name in the script file.

However by doing so the Austrian line infantry starts speaking french. That is the only unit I know that changes voice, the Austrian skirmishers and cavalry etc have the same.

Anyone have a clue what went wrong?

Cheers!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Austrian line speaking French.. What went wrong?

This is strange. Usually when you edit units, they can say the wrong lines (like infantry says "artillery"), but always in the same language.
    Normally, all the units recruited by a faction speak the language of this faction, whatever the region where recruited (so if you recruit Austrian units as French, they would speak French).

The language used by each faction defined in the faction table.

So my first idea would be that somehow, the Austria faction has been modified in the faction table to use the "Fr" language instead of "Ge"

Hmm ye I found the "faction table" but the language was as it should, "Ge" for Austria. What I thought was suspect however was that all in the "settler rebels" column was austrian_rebels.. Doesn't seem correct?

I tried once again and the same thing. The artillery, cavalry units, light infantry, skirmishers.. All have the correct Austrian voice but the line infantry (both German and Hungarian) says "revolutions gardé" etc and that is what the French says right? I believe the Austrians said something like "linie infanterie bereit sir"

Patrician Artifex

Strange... I'd love to be able to easily change the language for a specific faction. But I coudn't find how. It should be possible (look at the Portuguese units in the Peninsular Campaign: they speak Portuguese although owned by Britain), but I never found how CA did that.
    Maybe you discovered it accidentaly.
    The line infantry, do they speak French when they are owned by Austria (so they have an Austrian flag). Is it in campaign? In custom battle? Both?

Yea Austrian lines speak french when owned by Austria both in campaign and custom battle. But I tried with the portugese and denmark-norway in custom battle.. And guess what? They all say revolutions gardé but with their accent. This isn't right I think, it's only the french fusiliers that's suppose to say that right? I think I must've clicked something by accident when I was browsing in the pack files. Gonna try and reinstall later and try again.

Patrician Artifex

Any mod that change the unit table in some way (to add, remove or change the order of the units) will result in screwed up sound, unless you use Symphony tool to recompile the sounds.
    That's a "flaw" of CA's design.
    Look at patch7: it has been done only to add the compile sounds, since they forgot it when they did patch6.

Not to hijack this thread, but in my mod I tried to change the British 42nd Foot "The Black Watch" from Elite Class to Line Infantry Class. It stopped saying "Black Watch" when I selected them, but instead said "Republican Guard". Is the sound tied to class as well?

Patrician Artifex

Sound can be tied to class, to category, to unit. It's relatively complex.
    But more than that, the sounds are compiled: so if you change the class of a unit, then you create a situation in the DB which is different from the situation when the sounds were compiled. And so it's likely to create this kind of issues, unless you compile the sounds again with the new situation.