Thread: retraining mercs

Default retraining mercs

I imagine this has been covered but searching didn't really find what I'm looking for.

How can you retrain merc units you spent so heavily for? If it can't be done in SS6.4 can someone tell me how/where to edit that file to make it possible. Imo merc units are so few and far between you should be able to retrain them after battle, it's not like you're raising thousands of them, couple hundred here and there...

Thanks,
    Rot

Fishers of Men's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: retraining mercs

I believe I was able to retrain merc units at a city or castle in the region where I recruited them. Someone else can hopefully verify this.

puddingkip's Avatar Tiro

In the areas where the mercenaries are avaiable they will also be able to be retrained, once they have replenished enough in the mercenary pool. I don't think that SS differs in this from Vanilla

vin2579's Avatar Civis

Also don't forget that if for example you hire mercs and then take them to a castle (or city) with a blacksmith that can upgrade their armor to the next level you will be able to "retrain" them with the better armor, ALTHOUGH only their armor will be upgraded they will stay the same size, (ie if you have 1 unit at 50 men and the other at 90 men they will both stay the same.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishers of Men View Post
    I believe I was able to retrain merc units at a city or castle in the region where I recruited them. Someone else can hopefully verify this.
    Confirmed. The local mercenary pool must have refilled, which may sometimes takes a while (especially if the unit(s) is heavily depleted). The pool may be emptied again by AI factions recruiting new mercenary units in the same region (not necessarily the same province). Also keep in mind that as time progresses, the mercenary units available may change. If your mercenary unit has become outdated, it cannot be replenished anymore.

Yes, you can not replenish a merc unit in any city/castle.
    But you can (when replenished in a given area) recruit another unit of the same type and transfer enough of that unit into your pre-existing unit (that maybe has 2 gold chevrons) to replenish its numbers...
    Though the replenished unit will then be reduced in 'skill' based upon the addition of the new 'green' additions to its ranks.

So... you have an experienced unit of 45/90 crusader sergents with a single gold chevron.
    You recruit a new unit of 90/90 crusader sergents.
    You drag the new unit into the old one and then you have a replenished unit of (formerly 45/90) 90/90 crusader sergents with only a single silver chevron... because you mixed green troops with your experienced ones... bringing down the overall average.
    Last edited by Duck of Death; July 09, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!