Thread: Topographic map ?

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Default Topographic map ?

Im having trouble at times with the elevation levels on the very nice map. Simple fix for this would be another box ,you click on it and it brings up the exact same map but with the circles showing the elevation of ground. Very small gripe I'm loving this game.
    Last edited by nigelnire; June 27, 2014 at 04:36 AM.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Topographic map ?

Yes Got the lastest patch this evening and it works perfectly when M is pressed ,Great work Darth and team .

Default Re: Topographic map ?

It's a nice feature, but it's not as good as it could be IMO. A better solution would be to normal map the terrain to have shadows:

(from http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=171)

Although AFAIK the UG:G terrain is 2d, it's still possible to make it pop out and seem much more 3d with normal maps. Indeed, much of the terrain in the picture above is very simplistic and essentially "painting" 3d details onto flat surfaces:

I'd like to mention that these pictures actually use light-mapping/shadow-mapping, which is a similar but subtly different technique. I'd suggest normal maps, however, as it allows for the lighting to come from different directions, such as the sun moving around.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)