View Poll Results: Uniform Colors or Mixed?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed Colours

50 30.49%
  • Mixed Colours for Most

64 39.02%
  • Uniform Colours for Most

39 23.78%
  • Uniform Colours

11 6.71%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: General Overview (OLD THREAD)

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: 1212 AD (New Thread)

Thank your Bercor for the thorough explanation I was aware of this option, what I could not figure out however was, why on my edit signature page, in the bottom there is this: "Can Upload Images for Signature: No " and why I should not be able to upload pictures.
    EDIT: well, one has to insert the URL for the image, not upload the image per sé...
    Last edited by Ltd.; July 11, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

If I can offer my services, I'd like to help in any way I can.

History, PR, 2D Art and literature are my confidence areas and I'd love to be on board here.

Well, I'm going off a limb here that you know a lot about Scandinavia? I could use someone to give me an idea for unit rosters for that part of Europe at this time. I'm curious to know what you mean by literature, like faction descriptions? Also we could use someone for 2D Art as well. Can you show me some examples of your work with that?

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Well, I'm going off a limb here that you know a lot about Scandinavia? I could use someone to give me an idea for unit rosters for that part of Europe at this time. I'm curious to know what you mean by literature, like faction descriptions? Also we could use someone for 2D Art as well. Can you show me some examples of your work with that?
    Huscaaaaaaaaaaaarls!

I thought huscarls were earlier than our time frame?

I thought huscarls were earlier than our time frame?
    I just checked and you're right they disappeared by the 12th century, but I believe some form of retainer infantry would still be accurate for the time.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Good news!!!

Kuauik from the 1257 A.D team just sent me a PM and gave us permission to use their mod assets. A big thank you at this point. For me it is very helpful not having to redo those units from scratch
    Thanks again.

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

What excellent news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Good news!!!

Kuauik from the 1257 A.D team just sent me a PM and gave us permission to use their mod assets. A big thank you at this point. For me it is very helpful not having to redo those units from scratch
    Thanks again.
    That's great news! 1257 AD has a lot of great resources we can use for the eastern factions as well as swords and armor we can use to flesh out the european factions. Once I find out how to get this 3ds max thing sorted (shouldn't be too long) I will begin porting the resources needed for the islamic factions.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Congrats!

So, from what I understand, the potential "copyright issues" are out of the way now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Congrats!

So, from what I understand, the potential "copyright issues" are out of the way now?
    Pretty much. I mean there never really were any, OSP resources are free to use Taleworlds can't really say anything since they do not own rights to the personal work of the modders who make them.

It's just now we have permission to use more non-OSP resources. I guess there was some non-OSP stuff from a few other mods (?)

Well that was part of it. Some of the MODELS we were using weren't open source, but the textures were. If it's a vanilla mount and blade model it's no good either. Just try to be mindful of that. For a more detailed story go back a few pages Brivime.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Ok, so I made a few horse armours.
    Credits: the lamellar armour and the padded armour texture, though heavily modified, belong to rus XIII century mod (M&B). Thank you.
    The chainmail texture is my own creation.
    Model is CA horse
    As always, WIP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-13_00002.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	310173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-13_00001.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	699.5 KB 
ID:	310174

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Ok, so I made a few horse armours.
    Credits: the lamellar armour and the padded armour texture, though heavily modified, belong to rus XIII century mod (M&B). Thank you.
    The chainmail texture is my own creation.
    Model is CA horse
    As always, WIP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-13_00002.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	310173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-13_00001.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	699.5 KB 
ID:	310174
    I love the textures, my only quibble is that on the scaled horse armor, the metal head-plate seems a little out of place. Its just, the red shading at the edges is really pronounced and looks out of place with the other models, if that makes any sense.

Well, while I've been waiting for Grudge to finish his body armor models I've been looking over the way I've been depicting the units in this mod. It's been very tricky finding reference pictures for the early 1200s. It's either a couple decades before and after. For instance I've just discovered now that the great helm, used on a couple of my knight variants wasn't being used at all during the starting year of this mod. Now you could make an argument to cheat it or something like that but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Incidentally it was those inaccuracies that nearly prevented us from getting permission to use stuff from 1257 AD. The point is I'm going to be adjusting things in this mod to make it a little more accurate. I found these depictions of knights from the 4th Cursade. It's a little earlier than the timeframe, but only by a decade or two. I don't think things changed that fast. Here's one of the pictures.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So as you can see, some of the helmets I used for the knights are seen in that picture, but there's also more some simplistic helmets in the mix too. Plus some of them are not wearing surcoats but rather mail or even light armor. I actually found this helmet pack that contains a bunch of era appropriate helmets here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,193272.0.html

I actually changed the chain mail texture so it looks better. Anyways I'm combining these new helmets with some of the old knight helms and soldier helmets I've been using and the result should be something more accurate to the timeframe.

Biarchus

Well, while I've been waiting for Grudge to finish his body armor models I've been looking over the way I've been depicting the units in this mod. It's been very tricky finding reference pictures for the early 1200s. It's either a couple decades before and after. For instance I've just discovered now that the great helm, used on a couple of my knight variants wasn't being used at all during the starting year of this mod. Now you could make an argument to cheat it or something like that but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Incidentally it was those inaccuracies that nearly prevented us from getting permission to use stuff from 1257 AD. The point is I'm going to be adjusting things in this mod to make it a little more accurate. I found these depictions of knights from the 4th Cursade. It's a little earlier than the timeframe, but only by a decade or two. I don't think things changed that fast. Here's one of the pictures.

So as you can see, some of the helmets I used for the knights are seen in that picture, but there's also more some simplistic helmets in the mix too. Plus some of them are not wearing surcoats but rather mail or even light armor. I actually found this helmet pack that contains a bunch of era appropriate helmets here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,193272.0.html

I actually changed the chain mail texture so it looks better. Anyways I'm combining these new helmets with some of the old knight helms and soldier helmets I've been using and the result should be something more accurate to the timeframe.
    How long is the timeframe for this mod? I mean Rome 2 timeframe is like 300 years? So including some armours that wheren't there in 1212 shouldn't be that big of a problem if the game runs to say 14-1500?

Well my plan was to get the 1200s stuff done first. Remember that this mod will start out custom battle only so timeframe can be more specific if you know what I mean. What might be a thing to do is maybe have a representation of units from 1212 AD to around 1300 AD. Because armor did change quite a bit during that time have variants of several units, like early knights and (slightly)later knights for instance. I think mods like DeI do that so it's not unheard of. Meanwhile Grudge sent me the first of the new body armors. He just finished the base model that will be using for the peasant tunic and light armor. This is really something great here. He made a solid replica, at least enough so it looks the same but on close examination isn't. Here's a before and after between the original Taleworlds model and ours.

Taleworlds:

Ours:

The new one has a better shape and is designed to avoid clipping better than the old ones. Pretty good yes?

Biarchus

Well my plan was to get the 1200s stuff done first. Remember that this mod will start out custom battle only so timeframe can be more specific if you know what I mean. What might be a thing to do is maybe have a representation of units from 1212 AD to around 1300 AD. Because armor did change quite a bit during that time have variants of several units, like early knights and (slightly)later knights for instance. I think mods like DeI do that so it's not unheard of. Meanwhile Grudge sent me the first of the new body armors. He just finished the base model that will be using for the peasant tunic and light armor. This is really something great here. He made a solid replica, at least enough so it looks the same but on close examination isn't. Here's a before and after between the original Taleworlds model and ours.

Taleworlds:

Ours:

The new one has a better shape and is designed to avoid clipping better than the old ones. Pretty good yes?
    Yea makes sence for the custom battle mod, otherwise you could just have the late knights only be available if you have a late game tech researched.

Also, the new model looks great. Definantly an improvement around the sleeves and such, however... what is up with those giant feet/shoes?

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Taleworlds:

Ours:

Perhaps have a reform done when the players reach turn 50-75? Might not necessarily have to change any stats, just the appearances of certain units(such as knights).
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

Greetings again, everyone! We now take a different turn from the previous reveals; as we move from Cross to Crescent in this latest reveal: the MEDITERRANEAN UMMAH!

MEDITERRANEAN UMMAH
    Jizya Tax: +6% Tax Rate
    Corsair Piracy: +50% Wealth from slaves

The Almohad Caliphate
    Legacy of Cordoba: +10% Research Rate
    Vanguard of Islam: +20% morale bonus when fighting members of a foreign religion
    Perpetual Jihad: +30% Unrest from presence of foreign religions

The Almohads originated as a tribal confederation in the Atlas Mountains of Mauretania. Roughly a century ago, under the influence of the fiery preacher Ibn Tumart, the Almohads adopted an incredibly strict Islamic creed, coupled with a mandate to wage war against those who would not follow it, be they Christian or Muslim. The ruling dynasty of the Moors at that time belonged to the Almoravids, who had adopted much of the vibrant culture present in al-Andalus, or Islamic Spain. Cordoba was the seat of their empire, and the high education and culture (and, to an Almohad, other questionable influences) of that city had spread south back to North Africa.

Ibn Tumart and his new followers revolted against this atmosphere, and led an army of converted Almohad zealots and other rebels to overrun the Almoravid cities in Mauretania, before swinging north to conquer al-Andalus as well. Although the Almohads had rebelled against the culture of Cordoba, that city remains one of the great seats of learning in the Islamic world, and the Almohads recognize the value of it- so long as it has been purged of all infidel influences. The hatred of the Almohads to any who do not share their views means that their rule in cosmopolitan al-Andalus has not been an easy one, and only conversion of their subjects can ease the tension. In the meantime, the plight of the Christians under Almohad rule has increased the tenacity of the various Christian kingdoms to the north, who have attacked Almohad territory.

Almohad Caliph Muhammad al-Nasir has finally had enough of the upstart infidels to the north with their so-called "reconquista", and has assembled a massive army from his African domains, an army larger than any force ever assembled in Iberia, to conquer the Iberian Peninsula once and for all. Gripped with terror at the host bearing down on them, the Christian Iberian kingdoms have formed an alliance and marched all the forces they could muster south, to face him in open battle. The entire strength of both sides has been put into this engagement.

The time of reckoning has finally come, and the outcome of this battle will decide the fate of the Iberian Peninsula for all time.

The Ayyubid Sultanate
    Sons of Saladin: +15% morale bonus when attacking
    Guardians of the Holy Cities: +4 religious conversion rate
    Mamluk Dependence: +15% recruitment costs for all non-cavalry units

The Ayyubids are arguably the foremost of all the Islamic ruling houses at this time. The empire is massive, holding lands from Libya and Arabia to Damascus and Mosul. This is the legacy of the legendary king and general Salah al-Din, or Saladin, as he is known to the Franks. After uniting almost all of the Muslims of the Levant, Saladin crushed the crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem at the Battle of Hattin, and drove the crusaders from Jerusalem to the coast. When another crusade was launched to retake Jerusalem, Saladin faced the great warrior-king, Richard the Lionhearted, and fought him to a draw. When Saladin died in 1193, he was among the most powerful of all the kings of the earth. His subjects and successors have tried to emulate him ever since.

This has not been easy. Saladin did not structure his empire on a centralized model, but gave many of the regions that he acquired to his family members to rule. The years following his death have led to squabbles among his sons for who would control the empire. Although all of these different Ayyubid rulers nominally swear fealty to the Sultan in Cairo, they have begun to manage their affairs outside of his influence. The situation is becoming tense, and there are rumors that these other descendents of Saladin would seek to overthrow the current sultanate and found one of their own.

In order to maintain and extend his authority over his restive relatives, the current Ayyubid sultan, Al-Mansur, has begun to rely on powerful soldiers whose loyalty to him alone is unquestioned. He has found these soldiers in the Mamluks, powerful slave-soldiers purchased from the Turks and Circassans north of the Black Sea. These horsemen have proven to be utterly decisive on the field of battle, and only the Sultan has the wealth to maintain a strong standing force of them. Whether the other sons of Saladin rebel or another crusade is launched, the Mamluks will always be at the ready to defend and expand the Ayyubid realm.

Still, the increased dependence on the training and equipping of Mamluks that the sultan has set upon has made his efforts at raising other levies harder. There are also whispers at court that the Mamluks may try to exercise their power not just only at the sultan's enemies...

The Sultanate of Rum
    Turkish Legacy: +2 XP ranks for all ranged cavalry
    Steppe Horses: +20% movement range for all units
    Harriers: -20% morale when defending

The Sultanate of Rum in Anatolia is the last remnant of the great empire of the Seljuk Turks, which once had dominated most of the Middle East. Wars and invasions for the past 200 years have laid that empire low, and now only the leading edge of the Turkish conquest retains that glorious identity. The Turks have had to deal with successive waves of Christian offensives through Anatolia, but each time they have managed to maintain their holdings. At the same time, however, expansion has been slow, with the Byzantine coastal territories receiving reinforcements from the Byzantine territories in Europe.

The arrival of the Latin crusaders in 1204 has been a great, if unexpected, boon for the Turks. The Byzantine Empire is no more; the heartland of Byzantium has been ripped from it, and now a series of disjointed successor states are in the empire's place. No longer unified and coordinated, these realms will surely prove easy pickings for the expansion of Turkish power. The Turks have already conquered more territory that was formerly Byzantine, and more conquests are sure to come. With the great Ayyubid empire to the south teetering on the brink of collapse and civil war, the Turks can expand in any direction from their central enclave, ready to be the harbingers of the next great Islamic empire.

The Turks are master horsemen, and their harrying tactics of horse archers have won countless victories against Persians, Byzantines, Arabs and crusaders. The flip-side to these mobile tactics is that the Turks do not see a great necessity in taking and holding ground, and are all too ready to engage in false retreats against aggressive foes, until they are strong enough to counterattack and drive them back. Although this method has served them well strategically, it is at the expense of the tactical level.
    Last edited by Lord Giovanni; July 13, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM