Page 5 of 291 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    You'd think they learned their lesson after Palpatine took over the Republic. I mean he blames the Jedi of some bs charges so the whole galaxy will be ruled exclusively by him and everyone just cheers. Clearly force influence.

Maybe there can be a Jo McCarthy guy who hates Jedi.
    There's always a McCarthy guy who hates Jedi. It's sort of a feature. They're just sort of not trusted by the powerful, even if the people like them. Not after Palpatine anyway, if you want to give the EU any grounding in this conversation. On the flipside there's also someone in the powerful that's got enough of a power base to counter him at the same time and make the Jedi sort of politically neutral but that's neither here nor there. Luke made sure to stay out of the politics, and in the EU Leia didn't accept training until she was out of politics. But that doesn't really change the fact that training didn't lock you out of politics. It might make political negotiations harder with some, easier with others, but that was always a reality. Some people would put up a fit no matter what's done or what choice is made by anybody.

And, well, Leia was Leia. She could've gotten away with a lot of stuff just by being her given the resume she had.

And no. No citing Jacen. Jacen was just a dick who thought he had to save the Universe by dragging it to hell in a handbasket. He was a special sort of crazy.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Leia seems to be the wildcard yes.. I mean with Luke we know he'd be a high ranking jedi, likely grandmaster. I gues Han could do all kinds of stuff too, maybe he's a general or maybe he is retired.
    But Leia can either be playing politics or be jedi.. and both make sense. But together it can get messy.

I mean its hard to believe that she wouldnt have developed her force powers at all in all those years. She could sense Luke after all so she must have learned something more.

Possibly Leia could be on the council, and serve as the jedi's representation at the senate? Not being able to hold any office of power, simply speaking on the jedi's behalf. She'd be better at this than Luke.

My point largely is this: the Jedi Academy should largely be treated as exactly what it sounds like. An Academy. Go there, learn your trade. Learn how not to mess with the Dark Side. Learn how to resist it. Then you go into a field. None of this travelling wanderer Jedi BS. Sure, they'll need people training Jedi. There's your 'Masters', and a Grandmaster heading it up. But any Jedi can learn any field after they learn their powers. A Healer? Make that Jedi go through Medical school if he thinks he can at all be responsible for healing people. License him. A fighter? Put him in the military. Chain of command. Likewise for many other fields. There were examples of Jedi that liked to say they were historians in the EU for god's sake. Make them defend a damn PhD. Etcetera. The only thing they're qualified to say they are after training is a Jedi. They want anything else, they gotta earn it.

That's what I'd do anyway.
    Last edited by Gaidin; July 27, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Any thoughts on the upcoming CGI show 'Star Wars - Rebels'?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Only that is looks like a dumbed-down and childish Disney series version of Clone Wars.

This is so painful to see again and quite unbelievable. You have this show/movie/game that people like for certain reasons and it's successful, then you make a follow up that is stripped down of all the stuff that made people love it in the first place.

Great thinking Corporate America, Great thinking in deed.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Positives: they have Steve Blum...

I don't know

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

It might start childish, then it becomes better as they go along. I remember star wars the clone wars, was a mix bag, it had story archs aimed at kids, in between on Story archs aimed at star wars fans.
    From what i gather the same creators might folow this same patern. Even though the premise, isnt exactly specialy atractive.. cant say i like the kiddy main character, thankfully there is ( steve Blum) as adult captain/hiden jedi of the ship... we will see how it goes.
    It all depends if they sell enough toys sadly.

I mean i was angry when they decided to cancel young justice because it didnt sell enough toys... i was never into it at first, it sounded silly... baby justice league and all, some friends of mine convinced me to watch, it, and safe from some episodes at start wich are cringe worthy at times, never was a fan of the romance stuff either meh, the truth is it became quite decent and solid along the way and then they decided to cancel it at season 2 finale, just when Darksied was entering the story.... bastards.

Disney has a tradition of doing three seasons, enough episodes to syndicate. Also, usually, the point where the creative team run out of ideas.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    It might start childish, then it becomes better as they go along. I remember star wars the clone wars, was a mix bag, it had story archs aimed at kids, in between on Story archs aimed at star wars fans.
    From what i gather the same creators might folow this same patern. Even though the premise, isnt exactly specialy atractive.. cant say i like the kiddy main character, thankfully there is ( steve Blum) as adult captain/hiden jedi of the ship... we will see how it goes.
    It all depends if they sell enough toys sadly.

I mean i was angry when they decided to cancel young justice because it didnt sell enough toys... i was never into it at first, it sounded silly... baby justice league and all, some friends of mine convinced me to watch, it, and safe from some episodes at start wich are cringe worthy at times, never was a fan of the romance stuff either meh, the truth is it became quite decent and solid along the way and then they decided to cancel it at season 2 finale, just when Darksied was entering the story.... bastards.
    That show made me so angry because, why simply not invest all that writing and sweat into an Actuall JL show, why bother with stupid teenagers just to get views when you can do it with original characters anyway.

I also sense that the new SW movies might affect the further development of this show.

The Original Ending
    According to producer Gary Kurtz, the first draft of Jedi left the Star Wars universe even more bleak than it was at the end of The Empire Strikes Back. For starters, Han Solo is killed while trying to destroy the shield generator. The Death Star still gets destroyed, but Luke becomes so disturbed over his final encounter with Darth Vader that he decides to venture off on his own, leaving Princess Leia to lead the tattered remains of the Alliance by herself. We assume that, after all that, nobody wanted one goddamn thing to do with the Ewoks.
    20th Century Fox
    Chewie, about to suplex Wicket off a tree.

Apparently, Harrison Ford really wanted Han Solo to be killed off at some point during the trilogy. In fact, the whole reason he was frozen in carbonite at the end of Empire was because the producers weren't sure if Ford was going to return for the next film. If he had decided not to, at least they'd found a way to write him out of the series.
    20th Century Fox
    "Just put Han's clothes on Billy Dee Williams and no one will know the difference."

However, George Lucas decided not to go with this ending, taking a firm stance against killing off any of the trilogy's heroes. Not because of how depressing it would make the movie, mind you, but because he was worried about how it would affect toy sales. Both Kurtz and Ford have confirmed this, claiming that Lucas "didn't see much of a future in 'dead Han toys'."

http://www.cracked.com/article_20377...#ixzz39YURQANN

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well Lucas is ridiculous caring more about toys sales than his work. Which is why we got ewoks instead of wokees I suppose. Again, absolutely ridiculous.

Patrician

Also he saved a few bucks on Ewok costumes instead of Wookie costumes.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Well Lucas is ridiculous caring more about toys sales than his work. Which is why we got ewoks instead of wokees I suppose. Again, absolutely ridiculous.
    he essentially joined the dark side. He took the quick and easy path to make a fast buck.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    he essentially joined the dark side. He took the quick and easy path to make a fast buck.
    That sums it up quite well yes..

This original ending of episode VI sounds a lot better actually.. I mean you'd actually get the feeling that its the empire's elite troops if there where wookies there and Han died, along with many wookies while securing that shield generator. Would be kind of poetic even.. having been friends with Chewbacca for so many years, and dying at this time when Chewbacca got reunited with his kin where he could stay with after Han dies.
    And the whole dark side would actually seem to have an effect on Luke if he went off to travel on his own to try and make sense of it all.

A George RR Martin version of Star Wars.

As Han lies dying, Leia tells him she's pregnant. He dies happy.

Luke's actually the father.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

and incest intensifies
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I think I have never known an Author so utterly ignorant and disrespectful to his own work.

Patrician

Some people can say the prequels were failures... failed what?

Phantom Menace: $1,027,044,677
    Attack of the Clones: $649,398,328
    Revenge of the Sith: $848,754,768

That's $2,525,197,773 !!!
    I'm not even counting all of the toys, video games, posters, shirts and cartoons. Probably comes down to twice as much.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

but you can see that Phantom Menace successful ticket sales were the result of hype
    interest for Attack of the Clones was much lower because people were already disappointed by the first prequel
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL