Page 3 of 281 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 5604

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

  1. #41
    RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Telmachian mountain range
    Posts
    4,350

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    The thrawn trilogy is the only EU that I consider to be truly canon. I loved the idea that the bad guy was winning not because he had some "force" like super powers. He just was able to plan things logically and methodically and that he wasnt a super evil guy. I still read that trilogy all the time. I hope J.J Abrams actually incorporates some of the thrawn books into his movie.
    but he had that jedi guy with him too, so it wasn't just that.

  2. #42
    Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Azuchi-jō Tenshu
    Posts
    22,891

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    I always thought that the Yuzang Vong stuff was really pretentious. Never really liked it to be honest.
    I also don't get how Clone Wars ruined the Mandalorians, I agree with what Pasan said.

    Personally though my interest is in the Old Republic and that KOTOR 3 which we never actually got. The TOR bits with Revan absolutely sicken me.

    "Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

  3. #43

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    but he had that jedi guy with him too, so it wasn't just that.
    Ya but he was manipulating him the whole time. It wasnt just some crazy jedi mind trick manipulation either, he was playing to the jedi "master" weaknesses. Thats why I like him as a character, he would be a perfect movie character too.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

  4. #44
    RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Telmachian mountain range
    Posts
    4,350

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I always thought that the Yuzang Vong stuff was really pretentious. Never really liked it to be honest.
    I also don't get how Clone Wars ruined the Mandalorians, I agree with what Pasan said.

    Personally though my interest is in the Old Republic and that KOTOR 3 which we never actually got. The TOR bits with Revan absolutely sicken me.
    we almost all of eu was pretentious. seemed like every book there was a bigger and bigger superweapon the imperials managed to develop in record time, or some god shattering super stardestroyer that couldn't be destroyed by man that was forgotten about inexplicably. where the was that at the battle of endor?

    True Adamwestisgod, I enjoyed that part of it, kind of a mind game between brains and the force, however it usually seemed like the jedi dude got the upperhand (been years since I read it so I could be wrong) also if IRC it was in the thrawn trilogy that battle meditation was used for the first time by that guy, which explained why thrawns troops were so uber motivated.

  5. #45
    Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Azuchi-jō Tenshu
    Posts
    22,891

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Which is why I am so picky the stuff I read, much like how I was selective about Clone Wars episodes.

    "Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

  6. #46
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Timothy Zahn was the god of the Star Wars EU, so I hope his stuff is kept.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  7. #47

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    we almost all of eu was pretentious. seemed like every book there was a bigger and bigger superweapon the imperials managed to develop in record time, or some god shattering super stardestroyer that couldn't be destroyed by man that was forgotten about inexplicably. where the was that at the battle of endor?

    True Adamwestisgod, I enjoyed that part of it, kind of a mind game between brains and the force, however it usually seemed like the jedi dude got the upperhand (been years since I read it so I could be wrong) also if IRC it was in the thrawn trilogy that battle meditation was used for the first time by that guy, which explained why thrawns troops were so uber motivated.
    There were moments where the jedi master guy would freak out and say he wouldnt work with Thrawn anymore, but then once again Thrawn would just manipulate him into working for him. J J could make the Thrawn trilogy and I would be pretty confident that they would do very well. The dark empire story line was pretty ridiculous though. (even timothy zahn thought so in the sequel thrawn books he throws in a statement that makes it sound like one of the characters didnt even believe the dark empire thing happened.).....Its sad how much I know about Star Wars EU.......lol
    The one thing that does piss me off about the EU, is that they are deathly afraid of killing of main characters/ making them go through a major event to much. I mean seriously luke skywalker is like what in his 60-70's? according to the newest books, with major wars and events happening like every 5 years of his life. Its getting ridiculous, just kill off some of the characters and move on.
    Last edited by Adamwestisgod; July 12, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

  8. #48

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    The one thing that does piss me off about the EU, is that they are deathly afraid of killing of main characters/ making them go through a major event to much. I mean seriously luke skywalker is like what in his 60-70's? according to the newest books, with major wars and events happening like every 5 years of his life. Its getting ridiculous, just kill off some of the characters and move on.
    Major events happening in a 30 year war. Think about that. A 30 year war on galactic scale. That's..actually kind of short. It took us 5 years to well and truly take Europe back. And that was just a continent. Now a galaxy? And Luke was only ever as high as his 40's when the peace treaty was signed if I've got my timeline right. This is a Universe where humans can be pretty healthy and hale in their 70s, with Lando getting happily married in his damn 60's. I'm good with it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  9. #49

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Should hire George RR Martin as a script consultant to make fans apprehensive.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

  10. #50

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    There were moments where the jedi master guy would freak out and say he wouldnt work with Thrawn anymore, but then once again Thrawn would just manipulate him into working for him. J J could make the Thrawn trilogy and I would be pretty confident that they would do very well. ...
    JJ Abrams is good at making Super Fun Happy Slides, he is really crappy concerning telling actual stories with characters. His movies are visually stunning but the underlying stories are an incoherent mess. Not much confidence how this makle the Star Wars franchise better than the prequels other than updating the visuals to give you seizures.

    Just like George Lucas this guys needs to be bolted down to the floor with a straight jacket with competent script writers and good directors to fill that creativity of his with content and purpose.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

  11. #51

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Major events happening in a 30 year war. Think about that. A 30 year war on galactic scale. That's..actually kind of short. It took us 5 years to well and truly take Europe back. And that was just a continent. Now a galaxy? And Luke was only ever as high as his 40's when the peace treaty was signed if I've got my timeline right. This is a Universe where humans can be pretty healthy and hale in their 70s, with Lando getting happily married in his damn 60's. I'm good with it.
    No its the fact there are galactic wars happening every few years. You have the orginal galactic civil war, then the thrawn campaign, then the dark empire war, the yuuzhan vong war (which wiped out a crap ton of the pop.) , the swarm war, the bacta war, the 2nd galactic civil war, and im sure im missing even more wars that are happening. All with only one of the original trilogy characters dying. Hell writers will kill off luke and hans kids before they get ballsy enough to kill them even if its from old age.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

  12. #52

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    One campaign in a war. A Galactic scale war. Where the Peace Treaty was not signed until 25 years after the Emperor died and they tried many times after to take back their territory. That war went on for decades whether you like it or not. There is no way you can mince words with me and it took the Republic decades to back the Empire into a corner where they had no choice but to sign the Peace Treaty or be knocked off the map within the next decade.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  13. #53
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Still, that's like 5 wars listed. The Yuuzhan Vong, Swarm, Bacta and Second Galactic Civil War were not part of the First Galactic Civil War. I'm not sure about Dark Empire. Plus, these characters are involved in almost every battle, operation and event without suffering any major injury other than the occasional limb sliced off.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  14. #54

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    The Yuuzhan Vong, The Swarm, And the Second Galactic Civil War are the only ones. The Yuuzhan Vong was the only one that can be called Galactic Scale and they managed to find a magic solution to that one. At least it lasted something resembling years. The Bacta War is a sub part of the First Galactic Civil War and was pretty much just a battle in a war for a planet that produced a key supply and can't be listed here, and it happened mostly because one squadron went rogue(lol pun) out of principal and told a politician to screw off. It wasn't a war. That was just a title of a book. The fleet conveniently lost their resignations when they won and came back. They'd probably be in prison in real life, btw. Aren't character shields nice?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  15. #55

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The Yuuzhan Vong, The Swarm, And the Second Galactic Civil War are the only ones. The Yuuzhan Vong was the only one that can be called Galactic Scale and they managed to find a magic solution to that one. At least it lasted something resembling years. The Bacta War is a sub part of the First Galactic Civil War and was pretty much just a battle in a war for a planet that produced a key supply and can't be listed here, and it happened mostly because one squadron went rogue(lol pun) out of principal and told a politician to screw off. It wasn't a war. That was just a title of a book. The fleet conveniently lost their resignations when they won and came back. They'd probably be in prison in real life, btw. Aren't character shields nice?
    Fair enough, Ill admit my EU knowledge is outdated/ a little mixed up, but I do seem to remember alot of "crises" though. Like the bothan crisis in the second thrawn books, or the outbound flight battles. The point that bothers me is that through ALL of this, all of these battles, wars, campaigns, assassination attempts, invasions, finding of a new super weapon, kidnappings, mind control (or whatever dark side equivalent of it is that the emperor does to luke in the Dark Empire storyline) that seemingly nothing seriously bad happens to the main characters. (Idk how to add spoilers but for peoples sake but SPOILER FOLLOWS)..............................................................

    except the authors have zero problem with making their kids go through some completely horrible life changing events/ kill them off. I think only one kid is left now cuz the rest died. It would just be refreshing to see them kill somebody off besides chewie (like boba fett, if I remember right hes approaching his mid 60's/ 70's in the books, but we all know that isnt going to happen lest the collective nerd rage would kill the author).

    Maybe I need to pick some of the books up again. I stopped reading them because all of the tension was gone after the xth time that luke/leia/han/lando were in a dangerous situation.
    Last edited by Adamwestisgod; July 13, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

  16. #56
    RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Telmachian mountain range
    Posts
    4,350

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    they dont kill any major movie characters because of the ing riot they had when they killed off chewbacca who wasn't even a crucial character from the films. (which I think is stupid)
    however the book only characters they have no problem killing (like the children)

  17. #57

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    they dont kill any major movie characters because of the ing riot they had when they killed off chewbacca who wasn't even a crucial character from the films. (which I think is stupid)
    however the book only characters they have no problem killing (like the children)
    They don't kill any major movie characters because literally it was the law of George Lucas not to until the Yuuzhan Vong war. And then according to rumor, he said pick one and off him as part of the start of the war. The author wasn't sure who to pick, and then George Lucas picked one seemingly at random and it happened to be Chewbacca. Poor damn readers. That's why the children go through more hell.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  18. #58
    RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Telmachian mountain range
    Posts
    4,350

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    They don't kill any major movie characters because literally it was the law of George Lucas not to until the Yuuzhan Vong war. And then according to rumor, he said pick one and off him as part of the start of the war. The author wasn't sure who to pick, and then George Lucas picked one seemingly at random and it happened to be Chewbacca. Poor damn readers. That's why the children go through more hell.
    iirc they could have killed han too but chose not to. the only characters that were off limits were luke and leia (it says so in the behind the scenes at the back of one of the books in the YV series, dont remember which one) they could have killed lando, han, chewie or the droids. they killed off chewie because they felt it would have the most impact, aka as they put it "we killed off the family dog"

  19. #59
    G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,607

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Would have been really good if they red wedinged it and just killed Luke, Leia and Han all at once. It would have forced them to be more creative and I bet it would have increased sales of the book and interest in the next lot they did.



    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

    Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

  20. #60

    Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    Would have been really good if they red wedinged it and just killed Luke, Leia and Han all at once. It would have forced them to be more creative and I bet it would have increased sales of the book and interest in the next lot they did.
    Oh god yes, that would of totally cemented the seriousness of the whole invasion too. I sorta liked the Vong story (although I only got maybe 5 books into it before I had to go to Basic Training). I just wish they would kill them off more often. I AM curious though as to whats going to happen EU wise after the next movie is released.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •