Page 290 of 291 FirstFirst ... 190240265280281282283284285286287288289290291 LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,800 of 5816

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Yeah I know. But I would have preferred a proper duel.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Yeah I know. But I would have preferred a proper duel.
    But that takes away the sting of not acknowledging her as a peer (even one who never had a chance to win) - calling her youngling the same kind of insult.

Still feels the they are forcing these episodes with too little time. I think every episode so far could have been done better with a 2 part episode (12 total) don't tell me Disney could afford that.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Either do 10+ episodes and flesh out the world more or just make it a movie like they originally intended to - 6 episodes just feels meh.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    But that takes away the sting of not acknowledging her as a peer (even one who never had a chance to win) - calling her youngling the same kind of insult.

Still feels the they are forcing these episodes with too little time. I think every episode so far could have been done better with a 2 part episode (12 total) don't tell me Disney could afford that.
    Yeah that's fair enough. But i just want to see some badass lightsaber duels. I don't even care who it is. Haven't had a proper lightsaber duel in Star Wars since Clone Wars S5. That's 10 years ago.

This is what I want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

There hasn't been one since Disney acquired Star Wars. And they had the perfect opportunity in Ep 9 with Rey vs Palpatine.
    Last edited by Wallachian; June 22, 2022 at 12:15 AM.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Fair enough on the duels.

------

@Akar. So its over and I am more certain than ever they really hurt the whole project with amounts to 6 40 (actual) minute run time episodes. that's rather 100 minutes less than they gave to the clone wars season seven. Pretty much every episode felt forced for lack of time. You spend the money to get Ewan Mcgregor back, a cameo from Liam Neeson, A good actress to play the fallen young ling solid and solid casting for the inquisitors. than you decide lest jam them into six short episodes where none of them will have time to develop the story arcs that were provided set out for them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Even the nod to Vader's potentially clouded feeling in chasing Ben seemed an after though nod to the same question asked by the emperor about the son of sky walker in the original movies. With more episodes it could have a more effective tool with more time and raised earlier

Having Disney+ as one of the options in our family budget for streaming was not an ndividual choice. But if I added just on the potential to watch Obi One I say I be a bit disappointed.

On the plus side nice to see them have the turbo laser blasts hit the shields away from the ship and not the ship. Reminded me of playing X wing or Tie fighter.
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2022 at 02:21 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I stand corrected on the duels.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But that Star Destroyer chase and splitting up was dumb. Why didn't the Star Destroyer just send TIE fighters after the transport ship? The transport was damaged so it couldn't go to lightspeed. The TIEs could have tracked it and destroyed it.

Well sorta canonical seeing has they did not in the VI either. Or even in V where what they two star destroyers run into each other trying get at Falcon. Sure in X wing or Tie Fighters they are endless source of disposal fighters but not so much in the movies.

Add - a disappointed they sorta just re hashed the final chat from Askoa meeting Darth from Rebels. If they were going to that it might have been more interesting for the Emperor to mention Darth's apparent failure to kill her as well.
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Been busy with work and I don't watch this stuff unless my friends want to.

We did start Kenobi, watched the third episode. Friend said it was so bad he didn't want to watch anymore. He probably will come back to it so we will see. Here is what I think about it.

-this is anything but Star Wars... aside from the surface level similarities and the name, this is not goddamn Star Wars... this is so excruciatingly boring... the Star Wars Prequels were actually many times better than this... friggin Mandalorian and Boba Fetta were many times better than this trash... HOW???

-Kenobi is ing incompetent as

-we all knew that Darth Vader would come back even though we also know damn well that was the one thing they really should not have done

-for what god forsaken reason did they decide to put a child actor in this? I have no sympathy for this Princess Leia and honestly if Darth Vader decided to chop her in half I would not complain

-moreover why is Princess Leia even in this show??? It is called Kenobi so characters like Darth Vader and Princess Leia should not even be in this

-the Grand Inquisitor and all of the Inquisitors are incompetent as

-okay elephant in the room... Reva is a third wheel and shouldn't be in this, she is literally the same role as Asshoka but even more obnoxious
    -The actor who plays Reva is pretty bad but I can't tell how bad. The biggest issue though is she seems completely unfit for Star Wars. Like damn she should be in The Wire or some . While I said a long time ago that Rosario Dawson made no sense in Star Wars, but having seen her in Mando and Boba Fett she actually wasn't that bad. But my god Reva is not just a pointless character, the casting choice is terrible.
    -finally who the heck is Reva and why don't I care? Oh wait cause she isn't KENOBI!!! She should not have this much screen time!

-Kenobi isn't just incompetent but he is weak as hell. Kenobi wouldn't struggle against a bottom tier inquisitor. Come on ffs, this is the guy who defeated Darth Maul (twice apparently), Asajj Ventress, General Grievous, Durge, and I can't even remember who else... the 10 year old Princess Leia seems more competent than "The Hero of the Clone Wars"

-whole thing is boring and superfluous and there is nothing in this show to make me care so why even bother making this at all?

EDIT:
    I forgot that they actually showed Darth Vader so far...
    If Vader wanted to kill Kenobi why would fire make him stop? His suit is resistant to fire. Oh wait... is VADER scared of fire??? REALLY???
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 26, 2022 at 12:59 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

This is literally all Kenobi needed to be:

Yes this is the cantina fight.

Someone with video editing skills put a lightsaber on this guy, and slap a "Kenobi" logo on this.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 26, 2022 at 12:49 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

The Mandalorian was a fluke. The Star Wars Disney+ series have ranged from meh to absolute trash.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Patrician

Finished this turd. Painfully and slowly.

Can't really add much to it though.

-Princess Leia gets captured more than Princess Peach. Completely pointless character in this. ALTHOUGH Bail Organa is probably a character they could have kept. But I'll admit the kid isn't a bad actor. At least not for a little kid. Still weird as hell how she is supposed to be 10, looks 7, and acts like she is 30 or something.

-Kenobi is a grandpa with osteoporosis one minute and then the next he is slamming Vader through rock formations.

-last episode was naturally better than the others but the sword fight was really average. Arguably Kenobi is the strongest Jedi of all time at this point and during 1977 Star Wars. Since due to the training he should have received in the past 10 years, but which apparently he will receive anyway he became a master in the Force. Probably surpassing juggernauts like Mace Windu, maybe even Yoda, in his connection to the Force. At least in so far as Yoda hasn't done anything or fought anyone since Ep 3. So on the one hand him spamming rock throw on Vader makes no sense because Vader should be able to keep up with Kenobi in his training, but also I find it strange that Kenobi being this powerful for no reason means he should have at least bested Vader in the 1977 film. Yet both of them were playing strategically during their duel on the Death Star which means that Vader at least was wary of Kenobi, and Kenobi probably wasn't sure he could have beat Vader (unless he was solely buying time for Luke et all to escape, and otherwise could have destroyed Vader, but that is questionable).

-eh Reva (Reeva? Riva?) kind of improves but not a whole lot. Her character motivation actually makes even less sense. The fact that she has a scene fighting uncle Owen and aunt Beru and chasing after Luke for some twisted reason just shows how little sense this character makes to begin with. I also don't get how many times Reva can take a lightsaber through the body without dying. Wait so she is still alive right? Wait how? Did Kenobi give her medical attention or??? Wait how? Does he just keep a Bacta Tank in his cave or???

-Vader getting btfo by Kenobi then having a tantrum while screaming "OBI-WAN!" was friggin hilarious and shows how little these writers understand Vader. The bad influences of the Prequels and TCW have now infected the Original Trilogy and Vader himself. Instead of making Vader into a badass he seems like some poser who is still the annoying school shooter from Attack of the Clones. Got nothing against Hayden but damn this was stupid.

-This really just needed to be Obi-wan doing cool Jedi stuff. Preferably the setting would be entirely on Tatooine with him being some sort of wandering ronin fighting Sand Persons, gangsters, and then eventually the Inquisitors. There could have been this cool scene where Obi-wan shows the difference in power between a Jedi Master and like 6, better make that 10, Inquisitors. Honestly there is no reason why Obi-wan had to be this depressive weirdo the entire show. Screw struggling, he should have just been overpowered and made us revel in how overpowered and badass he was. This is the guy who just casually removed some dude's arm in a cantina full of hardened criminals. You think he would hold back against Vader if the guy made a come back? The same guy who told Luke to kill his own father? Come on now.

-fights in this were awful. Please forgive me for criticizing the choreography in the Prequels. I was led astray by some hack fraud. Kenobi wouldn't struggle this much. Could he outright beat Vader in round 2? Who knows. But not if he was so weak he could barely move an object like the day before. Reva vs Vader could have been decent, but for some reason Reva didn't just walk up to Vader and stab him. Instead igniting way before that and Vader obviously noticing. For what reason? If she wants this so badly she wouldn't care if Vader killed her. She should have planned this out better.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Is this the place where we discuss the Obi-Wan series? Or it is for mostly the movies and I need to make another thread?
    In any case, I have watched half-way to ep5 and I find the series... underwhelming. Not bad, but not good either. This thing draws a bit too long and Kenobi and Vader seem and react somewhat different than they are in the later movies and the earlier movies. Kennobi seems too indecisive, Vader seems too ... inpatient. I don't know, it kinda feels a bit off. But as I said, that's not my main gripe. I just find the series somewhat underwhelming and too stretched. The "Kennobi has survivor's guilt and here's his trauma" goes a bit too far. He's supposed to be a jedi and he has been through the Clone wars with hundreds of Jedi dead and all - many next to him and he didn't break. He had Duchess Satine (his romantic interest) die in his hands and he didn't get all these nightmares etc.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Obi-Wan should have cut all the fat and been a movie.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The only issue I have with new Star-Wars is that plots get too much in the way of diversity/feminism etc.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The only issue I have with new Star-Wars is that plots get too much in the way of diversity/feminism etc.
    oh please elaborate

(just sarcasm, sorry)
    Last edited by mishkin; October 29, 2022 at 06:59 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

It's ok, not all of us are sympathetic enough to important causes. The problem with many art products nowadays is that they put art first, and so we are perpetuating the social ills that need to be addressed.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Obi-Wan should have cut all the fat and been a movie.
    You know what? I agree. This could have been a 130 minutes movie with the needed 5 mins before and after for credits. Not even need to be those three hour long movies. Honestly, I would have liked it much better. Also, I would have watched it in a cinema with good sound and such.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    You know what? I agree. This could have been a 130 minutes movie with the needed 5 mins before and after for credits. Not even need to be those three hour long movies. Honestly, I would have liked it much better. Also, I would have watched it in a cinema with good sound and such.
    I would say really Obi-Wan could have gone either way. In that either a taunt movie length treatment. Or a longer show. Ether would likely have been better. It felt forced all around as it was.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/da...ms-2023-04-07/

Interesting news.

The Filoni-Furveau movie sounds very promising. These are the people behind my favorite Star wars series.

The "Rey 15 years later" movie sounds ... OK-ish. I have my reservations but I would be interested to see a grounded movie on how Rey tries to rebuild a new Jedi Order, without a reincarnated villain and a fleet of death stars, while said villain that returned in a blink force-lightings an area about as big as a planet.

The "Origins of the Jedi order movie" sounds meh. Considering Kennedy is deeply involved I expect a lot of men being uncoordinated, uncooperative, needlessly aggressive and practically useless while ladies save the day.

The biggest problem is that Season 3 of Mandalorian has been such a train wreck I am beginning to get worried. Either Favreau-Filoni dropped the ball or more likely Kennedy has been getting her tail into it and derailing it. I can't explain the huge drop in quality from Season 2 to 3. It's like it's a different show written by different people. Which makes me not very excited for that movie.