Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

What did you expect from the creators of Shorts and Iron Man 2?

My new Mandalorian name is Oda the Vindicated. I hated the whole thing since The Clone Wars and Dave Filloni. I mean did you watch the last season of The Clone Wars? They spent like a third of it on some redundant story about a Jedi teaming up with two idiots. This is the sort of thing we can expect from these guys.

I am sad to say that they inevitably got rid of the Sand People sub-plot and moved into actual storylines. Which means that they are going to screw this up. That being said the show was already wrong from the start when they started with a bunch of sequences out of order. They should have started with Boba Fett getting out of the Great Cancun, then Sand People, then whatever the heck happens after that, then Boba Fett as the "daimyo". Anytime these people actually go to the storyline they find a way to destroy their show.

Also can they at least use some kind of Star Wars terminology instead of friggin daimyo? I get it Favreau and Dave Filloni just want to rip off Akira Kurosawa and Lone Wolf and Cub, but could they be less on the nose about it?

Episode 2 - Boba Fett of Arabia was pretty awesome. The daimyo part of the episode was generic as always. How can they screw this up? Stupid attempts at humour almost ruin this show every time. If they say "do you have an appointment" one more time I am actually going to put a bounty on Jon Favreau. But being fair Boba Fett snorting geckos laced with Ayahuasca was pretty awesome. I now have a new found respect for Sand People and their barbaric traditions.

Episode 3 - A case study on how to ruin your show in just one episode. ing terrible episode. So they killed off the Sand People, which is the only thing that was somewhat decent and making this bearable.

Why is Boba Fett teaming up with the Mighty Morphin Hipster Rangers? Why doesn't he just recruit an actual army? Or hire some mercenaries? Also their bikes look literally gay. The whole Hipster Brigade has an aesthetic that doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. I am willing to bet that this was Robert Rodrigues smoking a joint before every episode and then the THC making him think that this was actually Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

The evil Wookie is pretty cool, too bad he doesn't do jack. Hey you know what would be awesome? Boba Fett fighting an overpowered evil Wookie. You know what we got instead? Boba Fett in his underwear fighting an evil Wookie, with the help of the Geek Squad. Like how do they this up? They had one job.

You know how I would have done this? Boba Fett hires some Trandoshan mercenaries, instead of the Pride Troopers. The evil Wookie bursts in through Jabba's front door, he beats the crap out of the Trandoshan mercenaries (cause Wookies hate Trandoshans, duh). Then the mandingo Wookie gets into his chamber, looks around, Boba Fett isn't there. Then Boba Fett comes out IN HIS SUIT and says "I'm right here" and they just start fist fighting until Boba Fett either beats him up, gets clobbered and smacks Mandingo in the head with his Gadhafi stick, or until backup shows up and they corner the Wookie. What we got instead is one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Joss Whedon was doing this better in 1998 with 16 year old girls. How the heck does Disney have worse action scenes in 2022 than low budget 90's TV shows?

Episode 4 - This episode was so redundant. Robert Rodriguez thinks he is making Spy Kids or something. Bobba Fett actually seems incompetent. The whole first bit with the Hutts just randomly gets the plug pulled for no reason. Also Machete (aka ROBERTO ANTONIO RODRIGUEZ runs this show now) tames Rancors, which sounds awesome but knowing these guys the depressed Rancor gets kidnapped so that Mulan and the Power Rangers can go save it while Boba Fett is running around in his underwear.
    Oh yeah, the episode ends with ominous music that when translated means Mando will get a cameo appearance or something. Whatever who even cares at this point. Well I do, he has a black lightsaber, woah so cool.

Ironically I literally asked my brother yesterday "hey how many episodes do you think it will take them to screw up Boba Fett?" and he said "I want to say three" and I was like "you sure dude? that is too soon, probably four or five". Well now I know I was wrong, cause it was actually three episodes. Holy . I am more worried for Kenobi now more than anything. If we are lucky they will give us a scene for scene recreation of a Masaki Kobayashi movie.

Finally, I am heartbroken that I can't even blame Dave Filloni.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    When I read this I couldn't help but think of Oda

No I actually don't like the idea of a cyborg biker gang. What the ?

Given the context of a Mandingo Wookie gladiator slave... then it only makes sense that evil Wookie's antagonists would be gigantic roided out reptilians. Which he hates, because as a Wookie he is a racist. But since these Trandoshans would be Boba Fett's allies, then Boba Fett would be justified in beating the crap out of melanin Chewbacca.

It isn't like Boba Fett has never teamed up with Trandoshans. We literally saw one in Empire Strikes Back, and then even in TCW (which I hate) on Boba's team.

Another interesting angle, rather than just recruiting Black Chewbacca (wtf was his name? Santana?), which they will do cause this is predictable. Is that this Wookie has become a savage and pretty much just craves bloodlust. Making him impossible to work alongside Boba Fett and more dangerous as an ally than as a potential enemy. This has been done before with Wookies and in this case there is no life debt. Having a Wookie become a main villain would actually be a step in the right direction. Something which Star Wars hasn't really done, very progressive.

So what gives? Why are FF (forfeit, Favreau and Filloni) such incompetent hack frauds?

Seems like they are largely phasing out Filloni with Robert Rodriguez though. Couldn't Robert Rodriguez go lick some underage girl's feet with Quintin Tarentino and Jeffrey Epstein and just leave Star Wars alone?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 22, 2022 at 08:29 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

What the are you even talking about?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    What the are you even talking about?
    That you're a hack fraud.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

He’s absolutely ing nuts but he’s also right. BoBF is really that ing bad. I must be a masochist because I should’ve stopped watching SW content nearly a decade ago
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Patrician

What part of it is nuts? Literally ALL of it is true. I am not even being hyperbolic.

Case in point: Boba Fett LITERALLY fights a friggin Wookie in his underwear until he gets saved by Ming Na Wen (the voice of Mulan), and the Special Snowflakes (the hipsters with augmented robotic parts that don't really do anything).

Between the cyborg hipsters doing a scooter speed chase and Boba Fett running around a kitchen chasing robots... I am pretty sure Robert Rodriguez walked on the wrong set and thinks he is directing Spy Kids 5.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I must admit the Book of Boba has been a major dissappointment for me. But not because of the reasons already discussed. In fact i love episode 4. The fact that Black Krrsantan is now introduced as a Boba sidekick is amazing. Gives me hope that we will get other cool characters like Vallance and Dr Aphra team up with Boba. Really enjoyed the parts with the bike chase and Danny Trejo as the rancor tamer is fantastic. I want star wars to be so groovy. That is not what bothers me.

The first problem is the timeframe. It's completely screwed after episode 4. If we look at the events of this episode and the timeline of Mandalorian (which takes place in 9 ABY) we have Boba with the sand people for like 5 years. That is ridiculous. So he spent 5 years with them and then he just assumes his ship is just sitting at Jabba's palace. Also, for 5 years he was on Tatooine but he didn't go to recover his armour?

Not to mention that Boba is made out to be way too forgiving and tame. Boba is meant to be an anti-hero not a straight up hero.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I must admit the Book of Boba has been a major dissappointment for me. But not because of the reasons already discussed. In fact i love episode 4. The fact that Black Krrsantan is now introduced as a Boba sidekick is amazing.
    That is predictable as hell though. It was amazing in like 1997 or 2005 when it would not have just been an expendable episodic villain.
    Why not make Krrsantan a main villain instead of just a sidekick for Boba or a lackey for some other worthless main villain?

Not that they need any good or interesting villains because so far they've produced a lot:
    -Smokey
    -school shooter Kylo Ren
    -whiter than mayonnaise General Hux
    -Moff Gideon (who did jack and crap)
    -so far the two least threatening Hutts in the Galaxy

Gives me hope that we will get other cool characters like Vallance and Dr Aphra team up with Boba.
    Who????

Really enjoyed the parts with the bike chase and Danny Trejo as the rancor tamer is fantastic. I want star wars to be so groovy. That is not what bothers me.
    The bike chase was terrible though....

As for Machete being a Rancor tamer, that was not the issue. The problem here is that they will inevitably not go anywhere with this and is just a pointless piece of fan service that has no real bearing in the story. For example Krrsantan fighting Boba Fett sounded pretty awesome. But what we got instead was Krrsantan fighting Boba Fett in his underwear and getting surrounded by the lamest biker gang this side of the Dune Sea.

Like who the heck wrote these teenage biker characters and thought it would be a good idea to introduce a bunch of useless kids to this story?

The first problem is the timeframe. It's completely screwed after episode 4. If we look at the events of this episode and the timeline of Mandalorian (which takes place in 9 ABY) we have Boba with the sand people for like 5 years. That is ridiculous. So he spent 5 years with them and then he just assumes his ship is just sitting at Jabba's palace. Also, for 5 years he was on Tatooine but he didn't go to recover his armour?
    Dude at this point that is not the problem. Boba Fett not fitting into an existing canon which has been butchered and reassembled shouldn't even matter. After the Disney acquisition none of the canon matters. Why would you want to accept a canon that shares a universe and necessarily has to lead to The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker?

The problem is that this show is unentertaining and downright braindead. Why would I want to see Boba Fett acting like a goof and chasing after one of Robert Rodriguez's little Spy Kids robots. Or his lame sidekicks with special cyborg powers that are completely useless and they can't even outrun a shopping cart.

Not to mention that Boba is made out to be way too forgiving and tame. Boba is meant to be an anti-hero not a straight up hero.
    I'll give you that. After about the third episode they just went way too far with good guy Boba Fett. The guy doesn't just disintegrate bad people, but also anyone who he thinks is crossing him. After that Ron Jeremy look alike asked Boba Fett for an appointment, Boba Fett should have just blasted him, kicked down the door, and then blasted the mayor as well.

If this is being played off as Boba Fett being smart, need I remind you that Boba Fett has so far:
    -decided to forego recruiting an entire army
    -but recruits some scrawny nerds instead
    -recruits a psychotic Wookie that has no loyalty to his employers and tries to kill people for no reason, who probably has no loyalty to Boba Fett either (yeah yeah but he will gain the respect)
    -thinks that being soft will get him respect from a planet where almost everyone who isn't farming with a dehumidifier is either a tribal savage, or a hardened criminal
    -decided to piss off both the Hutts and the Pyke Syndicate, and still has no army

Boba Fett seems like a complete retard so far. Which is to say nothing about how dumb he was when trying to break out his ship from Jabba's Palace.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 23, 2022 at 01:55 PM.

I disagreed for the most part with your prior Mando criticism but this is all spot-on. They got overly confident after S1 of Mando and now are blowing their load on disappointing me all over again. It’s like an abusive relationship I keep going back to

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

BoBF EP 4.

Boba is not very bright. It's been pointed out, he's a bit of a Homer, realising a good idea seems to coincide with an almost visible light coming on in Boba's head. Even simple stuff like walking around telling everyone you're the new boss when you have one ally (Fenec) a couple of hired guards and a bunch of kids to protect you, and none of them see an 8 foot Wookie walk straight into your bedroom and drag you out of your floatation tank.

I don't mind Boba wanting to be honourable and merciful, but maybe they could have made him a bit smarter. He had the entire boss level of organised crime sitting over his pet Rancour's pen, why not simply drop them and take over all the gang territories.

EP 4: was the least interesting of the series so far.

3 left, I don't think there's time for plotting and betrayals to play out, so ultra violence may well be needed to save this show.

Patrician

Dude I was literally thinking that. He could have gotten the crime lords to kill each other. He could have held them for ransom. He could have just killed them all and taken their territory with his army. Oh wait he doesn't have an army...

The fact that he didn't immediately waste The Mayor in the first episode, at the very least in the second episode, is proof that this Boba Fett is a moron.

The original Boba Fett is way smarter than this. A bounty hunter that has survived as long as Boba Fett, taken out as many bounties as him, pretty much has to be savvy, not just capable on a technical level. Boba Fett would not have screwed with the Pyke Syndicate, or gotten tricked into killing some biker gang. But this Boba Fett has neither smarts nor technical ability. So far all he has done is beat guys up and blow them up with his ship. But I couldn't see him carrying out a complex operation.

Boba Fett also had a lot of backup. Lets see Dengar and Bossk at the very least. Which for the record Bossk is a Trandoshan, and would have made a great antagonist for the dark Wookie Chris Santana. Instead they just do something predictable. Actual low budget 90's shows were better than this.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 24, 2022 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    I disagreed for the most part with your prior Mando criticism but this is all spot-on. They got overly confident after S1 of Mando and now are blowing their load on disappointing me all over again. It’s like an abusive relationship I keep going back to
    I stopped coming back for sure. I didn't even bother watching Boba Fett. And apparently i was right in following my decision.

For me Star wars has become something i just dont care anymore.

Moved on to other stuff i really enjoy like Warhammer 40K and Korean shows and movies.
    Watched Arcane the other day, loved it.
    There has been a few shows i enjoyed lately, and star wars kinda stopped being on my radar.

Yeap, ep 4 was the most rubbish of all of them due to the convoluted timeline and weird decisions made by Boba. I guess their reasoning is that Boba is acting like this due to the time he spent with the Tuskans. There is literally no other explanation and it's still dumb.

I am 90% sure Bossk will make an appearance probably in the next few episodes. Black Krssantan has fought Bossk before so it's likely this will be introduced at one point in the show

Patrician

Wait so I literally predicted their storyline? What is that from anyway? Obviously Bossk is from Empire Strikes Back. But who the heck is Black Chris Santos anyway? Is that from the Marvel comics?

Well you can't really predict something that has already happened.

But yea, Black has been a reoccurring character in the Star Wars comics for many years. He first appeared in the Dr Aphra series as a sidekick for Dr Aphra and had many adventures with her. The battle with Bossk was in the first issue of the Bounty Hunters series.

Patrician

Well you can't really predict something that has already happened.

But yea, Black has been a reoccurring character in the Star Wars comics for many years. He first appeared in the Dr Aphra series as a sidekick for Dr Aphra and had many adventures with her. The battle with Bossk was in the first issue of the Bounty Hunters series.
    Well I predicted it because I didn't know about it.

Dr. Aphra is kind of the point where I lost interest in the Marvel comics. At least in so far as she was introduced in the Darth Vader comics. Not only do I hate the character but on the whole I found the Marvel comics very boring and unappealing. The Darth Vader comics were doing bad things with the character, things that Darth Vader shouldn't be doing. So I didn't really read the Marvel run of Star Wars beyond a certain point.

Out of everything that was done by Disney (movies, tv series, cartoons, novels and comics) I found the Marvel comics as the highest quality. Not as good as old Dark Horse series like Kotor, Empire, Rebellion, Republic or Legacy. But I actually really liked the Vader series and the Aphra series. And there is a new series called Bounty Hunters which has Beilert Vallance as the main character and this is an old character from the 1980s Marvel comics. Found them quite better than the last few Star Wars series published by Dark Horse.

Probably because Disney doesn’t care enough to really interfere in something with such low margins/importance in modern media so they actually get to do what they want creatively.

Patrician

That is true. But Disney probably would not do it regardless. Since it is controlled by Lucasfilm.

But that begs the question how experienced film makers like Jon Favreau can be so incompetent. Admittedly I never had a high opinion of Jon Favreau and his fellow 90's hipsters like Robert Rodriguez and so on.

Still, whoever is writing the script and making these bad calls should be replaced. I see that Jon Favreau gets credited as the writer and it is surprising that he is this bad at it. I almost want to say that there are multiple writers to blame. But that is too easy of an explanation. Jon Favreau should fix the writing if that were the case.

I think we are seeing a lot of Robert Rodriguez influence and I don't understand why Jon Favreau is letting this happen. Or if he thinks that these are good calls. Which if he does... is he insane? This has to be a favor he is doing for Robert Rodriguez. I also have to assume that Favreau is maybe being a bit lazy. He is kind of fat.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 26, 2022 at 05:46 PM.

Latest episode was the best of Book of Boba by far lol and it didn't have Boba in it.