Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    What do you guys think of Bad Batch? The visuals are amazing, it looks like the last season of clone wars which is great.

But Disney is not even hiding the fact that they don't give a crap about new canon continuity. The beginning of the show completely modifies the Order 66 events from the Kanan comics by inserting the Bad Batch crew into that story lol So i guess the whole 'single' canon is pretty much out the window and we are basically back to the old version of tiered canon.
    yup Solid episode, but they retcon the current canon. One more thing to be put off about the whole franchise.

Indefinitely Banned

I liked it but I believe fiction has no need of canon. Better infinite variety. Also more profitable long term in a world ever hungry for content. The books are great as are comics in general because this is the way.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

People love having consistent canon/lore. But that isn't the problem. The old EU had canon tiers which meant that movies followed by tv shows had the highest level of canon followed by the other media. So it was established that anything that was a movie or tv shows would have the highest priority.

But in the new canon Disney stated that there would be one canon and that every media would have the same level of canon, so for example a comic and a tv show would be equal. Which turned out to be false. And to be honest it was a stupid promise to make in the first place since it's obvious that visual mediums will always take precedence. But this event just shows how disorganised/misguided Disney is in its approach to continuity. They should have just left the old tiers in place and admit that other media will always be of lesser canonicity.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Disney couldn't get Lilo & Stitch canon right, much less Star Wars. More than anything they just wanted to cash in by replacing old content with copies of the old content. Although George Lucas was doing this since TCW when he kept pulling out of the old Clone Wars material which he himself retconned.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

So it seems to be the second Star Wars series about an elite fighter becoming a dad.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Indefinitely Banned

Bad Batch is great. Just clocked in Ep 3. Origin story of the stormtroopers continues. Oddball clones are fun enough. I think Disney’s unlimited funds and long horizons are a gift worth appreciating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Disney couldn't get Lilo & Stitch canon right, much less Star Wars. More than anything they just wanted to cash in by replacing old content with copies of the old content. Although George Lucas was doing this since TCW when he kept pulling out of the old Clone Wars material which he himself retconned.
    It's not really about whether Disney can get the canon right. It's more about what they're going to do once they had tied off Ep9. Star Wars was always a much bigger universe than people give it credit for, but never did a lot outside the Clone Wars and the Skywalker Saga ranging from the cartoons to the books to the movies. Until now. They might still play with Darth Vader's life in the comics because, facing it, they're selling on the comic fans, but people are also really buying into the new characters as well.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I am and for some time have been stuck in old republic style content. I probably won't leave there even if Disney somehow gets it right.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It's not really about whether Disney can get the canon right. It's more about what they're going to do once they had tied off Ep9. Star Wars was always a much bigger universe than people give it credit for, but never did a lot outside the Clone Wars and the Skywalker Saga ranging from the cartoons to the books to the movies. Until now. They might still play with Darth Vader's life in the comics because, facing it, they're selling on the comic fans, but people are also really buying into the new characters as well.
    Okay? But none of the content that they make is good, so who cares. Even Mandalorian which I had high hopes for is average at best. They retconned material, some of which was decent to great, to replace it with new content that is actual garbage.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Even Mandalorian which I had high hopes for is average at best.
    Tell that to the people eating Mandalorian up and watch them disagree with you.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

And i was right, at any case this is just laying ground for change to come at corporate level.

Streaming hits like “WandaVision” and “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” failed to deliver the kind of Disney Plus subscriber numbers that Wall Street was looking for, as the Walt Disney Company reported a mixed quarterly report on Thursday. The entertainment conglomerate’s stock fell sharply, dropping more than 4% in after-hours trading. Disney’s $15.61 billion in revenue for the quarter fell short of expectations, and its 103.6 million streaming subscribers missed estimates. The company reported diluted earnings-per-share of 50 cents, a 92% improvement on the 60 cents per share that Disney reported in the year-ago period.
    Analysts projected the company would report earnings per share of 27 cents and $15.87 billion in revenue. They also expected the company to report 109 million streaming subscribers.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...us-1234972687/

Okay? But none of the content that they make is good, so who cares. Even Mandalorian which I had high hopes for is average at best. They retconned material, some of which was decent to great, to replace it with new content that is actual garbage.
    Its not even true marvel comics, and star wars comics, dont sell at all. The american market is dominated by manga big time, and western mainstream comics industry is not making any profits. This includes SW. Lots of Indie GogGo comics are making more money.

The Mandalorian was good enough, but not perfect. From a narrative standpoint, first season was better. The second season, was fan service, and cameo galore. The story felt like a video game at times.
    Still it was the best thing that Disney has come up with, regarding the franchise.

Bad batch is okish so far. But i sense same formula of mando season 2 at play here. Its going to get old fast. Also whats with Omega?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

The Mandalorian and maybe R1 are the only solid live action products to come out of Disney. The biggest issue is this just pisses me off more knowing Kennedy chose JJ/RJ making an ST that just retcons whatever came before in the sequence over Favreau who actually understands and respects the source material
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Agreed.

Not only that, but they didn't even plan out the movies together. Each director worked independently. I remember one of them mentioned that he had no idea Rey's ancestry would be important. For s sake, this is the company that made the MCU, surely they can handle planning out 3 Star Wars movies ahead of time, right?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

You’d think that they’d have the awareness to put someone in charge of a strategic creative plan who cares about the property, especially being the company that has reaped the reward of the most successful film franchise ever by doing exactly that. But no, they’d rather throw at a wall and undo the previous film 3 times in a row. I hate that you can’t criticize Kennedy’s horrendous approach to the IP without it being framed as a sexism/hating diversified protagonists thing (the same company using Finn as a shield from all criticism after they literally removed him from foreign posters based on his race), and no matter how much success she had beforehand she has objectively overseen a colossal up with Star Wars.

I know they made a ton of money but there’s no doubt in my mind the ST left a ton of money on the table still and could’ve put up maybe close to Endgame numbers had they actually been willing to tell a semi-cohesive story.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I mean, they basically discarded Finn after the first movie anyway. They set him up to be a force user and then just went "nah, on the backburner you go. But we'll throw out some hints that you're gay".

I know they made a ton of money but there’s no doubt in my mind the ST left a ton of money on the table still and could’ve put up maybe close to Endgame numbers had they actually been willing to tell a semi-cohesive story.
    I'm not sure they've actually broken even on their investments yet with SW.

TFA was a movie that was at least in terms of plot basically just a crappy rehash/reused tropes of 4 that reverted 6 and made the Galaxy feel incredibly small and underdeveloped. This especially was jarring after the prequels, for all their faults, went super heavy on world building and went for a more epic tone. But, 7 at bare minimum seemed to have unique characters and potential with its setup for sequels. So Disney sees this rehash criticism of 7 (while also claiming they intended it exactly this way as a prequel trilogy palette cleanser) and decides to be over reactionary in how they make 8.

For 8 they toss out Abrams’ entire story treatment which is intended as a logical followup to his unoriginal film and let Rian Johnson do literally anything he ing wants even if it literally breaks the Star Wars universe. Personally, I hate the writing technique of completely changing Luke offscreen and undoing all his achievements from the OT as well as EU, but I’ll admit that at least it’s mostly executed decently even if just because Mark Hamill puts his heart and soul into a script he despises. The real issue is the horrendous B plot of Finn who was being pushed as a leading romantic interest in 7 getting a horrible side plot romantic interest and his/Finn’s entire part in the plot being rom-com misunderstanding tropes where the protagonists are turned into idiots who destroy themselves simply due to an illogical unwillingness to communicate properly. The film makes the world feel incredibly small, ruins any potential in its protagonists, nukes Luke’s/the Rebels achievements and characterization in the OT, AND despite being all about “subverting expectations” literally just remakes Empire in reverse with the Emperor’s throne room to boot. They even have a guy taste the ground on a random planet, look into the camera while saying “ew salt” so RJ can claim this totally isn’t just Hoth 2.

Then they decided “ it” let’s do important story developments in Fortnite and pull Palpatine out of our ass because we totally wrote ourselves into a corner by making two movies that barely even pretend to be in sequence with one another and killed off all of our villains while turning any remaining villains into unimposing morons who get stomped by yo mama jokes. I love Marvel humor (mostly) in Marvel. Marvel humor was not intended for Star Wars but these films were loaded with it and killed all stakes. So now we have to bring back the one villain we haven’t ruined even though he’s been dead forever and make him 100x more powerful than last time, rendering the entire OT pointless. Disney for this garbage.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It's sad because the EU already had a full "Palpatine returns from the dead" plot line already fleshed out, it was one of the better comic book plot lines Star Wars had. I have no idea why they didn't just adapt that idea rather than go with the Snoke red herring nonsense. And then announcing the return in Fornite? Go yourself, Disney.

I turned off the third movie whenever the Scout Troopers made that yo momma joke or whatever the it was. Only a few minutes into the movie. I haven't even considered watching one of those new movies again. I didn't even bother seeing the second one in theaters either.

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of 9. I hated every second of it. They had such a clear framework with the EU where they could take the basic ideas of the good storylines and nuke the bad ones into a new timeline, and then they just didn’t

Patrician

-They did not break even. So Gaidinistic claims that the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy was a success are redundant at best and untrue at worst. They could have, SHOULD HAVE, matched Avengers. With a brand like Star Wars possibly surpassing it. Who cares about the Mandalorian, the whole thing exists solely as some sort of apology and to get subscriptions for Disney+. Does anyone seriously think that Disney is making up the losses of billions of dollars of investments and missed box office glory through Disney+?

-Disney was expecting that it could beat Avengers in the box office. The Star Wars films didn't even meet half of their expected figures. They were looking at something in the 30 billions of dollars, which is a couple billion more than Avengers. Heck the Sequel Trilogy didn't meet the 7 billion they paid George Lucas.

-None of these mystery boxes or plot twists were planned. Obviously JJ Abrams had his own half-assed vision, which was derailed by Rian Johnson. Then they just winged the story line.

-Star War Sequels were never good. Not even Force Awakens.

-The aforementioned Palpatine resurrection arc was in the Dark Empire comic. In which Palpatine uses cloned bodies to come back from the dead and attempted to turn Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side. Naturally, since Palpatine was underwhelming even in Return of the Jedi. It only makes sense that such a strong villain should have a greater impact and be used more appropriately. According to Original Trilogy producer Gary Kurtz, the villain in their planned Sequel Trilogy would have been Palpatine. But George was going through a difficult time so they cancelled the Sequels and wrapped it up with Return of the Jedi.

-Mandalorian season 1 was average but it made me curious. Season 2 was bad and ruined the series. I don't care about all of these cameos which just seem like gratuitous bait. I have no expectations for Boba Fett, or Kenobi, or Baby Yoda Adventures, or Ewok Adventures 2, or More Droid Adventures, or Darth Maul: The Most Overrated Sith Lord, or Jar Jar Abrams: A Star Wars Story, or a series about Count Dooku recast as Charles Dance or Charles Dance as a CGI Christopher Lee, or a stand alone movie about Grand Moff Tarkin but made entirely of CGI with a software reconstructed Peter Cushing voice instead of just casting Wayne Pygram.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Heck the Sequel Trilogy didn't meet the 7 billion they paid George Lucas.
    They only paid 4 billion for LucasArts

Mandalorian season 1 was average but it made me curious. Season 2 was bad and ruined the series.
    Wrong.