Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Disney doesn't care about Gina Carano's internet activity. They think that people care enough to #cancel because of Gina Carano. That is their only motivation. But most of the people watching Mandalorian either don't care or they agree with Gina Carano.
    I mean, this is the first smart thing you've said. They let Carano run her mouth for a solid minimum of five political or social topics and let her finish her contract for the season. And it took her posting anti-semetic memes comparing modern conservatives to Jews of the 1930's for her to well and truly get thrown out of negotiations. They canned comics writer Chuck Wendig after one tweet thread, not even waiting for him to finish the title he was working on.

So if you really want to talk about contracts cancelled...you might want to pick the right hill to die on when it comes to LucasFilm.

Last edited by Gaidin; February 16, 2021 at 03:53 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

That's true. Nobody cares about what Gina Carano wrote on twitter. Disney only cares about money and virtue signaling so that it can get more money.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    That's true. Nobody cares about what Gina Carano wrote on twitter. Disney only cares about money and virtue signaling so that it can get more money.
    Disney isn't exactly special here. The idea that they'll ignore 99% of what you post publicly, but there are tripwire topics that can get you thrown out on your ass can happen to anybody ranging from celebrities to your average person.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I mean, this is the first smart thing you've said. They let Carano run her mouth for a solid minimum of five political or social topics and let her finish her contract for the season. And it took her posting anti-semetic memes comparing modern conservatives to Jews of the 1930's for her to well and truly get thrown out of negotiations. They canned comics writer Chuck Wendig after one tweet thread, not even waiting for him to finish the title he was working on.

So if you really want to talk about contracts cancelled...you might want to pick the right hill to die on when it comes to LucasFilm.
    I wouldn't have fired Chuck Wendig either. Well I mean other than that his books are trash, but I wouldn't fire him for a tweet.

Although I don't think that makes Gina Carano an anti-semite. The label doesn't work.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Although I don't think that makes Gina Carano an anti-semite. The label doesn't work.
    If it walks like a duck...
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patrician

If it walks like a duck...
    So correct me if I am wrong but, she said that Republicans were being persecuted like the Jews in Germany? Therefore she is an anti-semite?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

So correct me if I am wrong but, she said that Republicans were being persecuted like the Jews in Germany? Therefore she is an anti-semite?
    The general attitude these days is “we’re not gonna tolerate Nazi jewish ghetto BS when you’re not being walked inside walls”. At least watch what you post and read a book.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Disney shooting itself in the head over what the wokerati demand it do over twitter will be so chuckable. Rumor is Pedro is on his way out as well. The sooner they realize that there is no way to satisfy the woke-disgruntled SJW crowd the better. Until then, they already pozzed Star Wars into oblivion with the tragic and ""diverse"" sequel series speaks for itself. Disney can continue to pump out the politically leftist pozzed idiocy, or it can actually just detach and make good TV and tur a profit.

Either way, I win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    People complained about Rey because she was a Mary Sue that was instantly better at anything than everyone and because the acting was horrid. The Rose character was useless and added in only to meet diversity quotas.
    everyone recalls how Luke struggled to grab his lazer saber in the cave...generally telekinesy was too strong once in Episodes I, II, III, it goes along Tiger and Dragon style of fighting. At this point they missed the beauty and simplicity of sword fights from IV, V, VI.

Even if this aged, I find the old dynamisms were better in my opinion.

On quotas...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This sequence shot was particulary painful.
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; February 17, 2021 at 11:19 PM.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

I didnt even know that Carano has political views, nor do I care about her posts on Twitter but I liked her as Cara Dune because she was believable as a veteran who can actually fight (thanks to her MMA past) oh well at least Disney has the "capacity for empathy and socal responsability" *laughs in uyghur*

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Disney shooting itself in the head over what the wokerati demand it do over twitter will be so chuckable. Rumor is Pedro is on his way out as well. The sooner they realize that there is no way to satisfy the woke-disgruntled SJW crowd the better. Until then, they already pozzed Star Wars into oblivion with the tragic and ""diverse"" sequel series speaks for itself. Disney can continue to pump out the politically leftist pozzed idiocy, or it can actually just detach and make good TV and tur a profit.

Either way, I win.
    Lol yeah I heard those rumors about Pedro too, before season 2 came out. Star Wars man babies will latch on to any rumor that promises to cleanse their precious franchise of any hint of women or people of color.

And yeah, not everyone is a social justice warrior, and most people don’t care that much about representation and such. but not everyone is a status quo warrior either who gets outraged every time they see a woman or black person on the screen. Disney is betting that the former group is growing and the latter group is shrinking, and it has been paying off for them so far.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Lol yeah I heard those rumors about Pedro too, before season 2 came out. Star Wars man babies will latch on to any rumor that promises to cleanse their precious franchise of any hint of women or people of color.
    How do you write stuff like this with a straight face? The rumor was that Pedro was getting really angry because they weren't showing his face enough. The story was that he threatened to leave if they don't show his face more and so they just fired him. But that was just a rumour that likely had little substance. How is that in any way linked to race?

The Sequel Trilogy had mostly white characters and just a 2-3 women as actually important characters. Finn, the only important black character was relegated to a running joke. And people hated it.

Meanwhile the Mandalorian has literally almost no white male main characters (that is if you see Pedro Pascal as hispanic and not white). Meanwhile, it has plenty of non-white characters and actors including Carl Rogers as Grief Karga and Giancarlo Esposite as Moff Gideon as well as Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett. There are a tonne of female characters such as Cara Dune, Bo Katan, Ahsoka Tano and Fennec Shand. There was an all female action scene in the very last episode of season 2 when all the female characters saved Din Djarin. And all the fans absolutely loved the show.

So what are we talking about here? It's like some people come from an alternate reality or something.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    I didnt even know that Carano has political views, nor do I care about her posts on Twitter but I liked her as Cara Dune because she was believable as a veteran who can actually fight (thanks to her MMA past) oh well at least Disney has the "capacity for empathy and socal responsability" *laughs in uyghur*
    I said "more capacity for empathy and socal responsability than some people". Which is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post

The Sequel Trilogy had mostly white characters and just a 2-3 women as actually important characters. Finn, the only important black character was relegated to a running joke. And people hated it.
    I never complained about Lando Calrissian or Windu, but that Finn feels particulary inserted as "wait we need more blacks there". Same for the asian girl, she's out of place. Holdo might be the worse.

Humor in general and how Luke desacralized himself are embarassing, really hated how in VIII he plays like a nihilistic boomer. Also Kylo Ren was such disappointement, he's very marked by past serie B movies he already played, he looks straight coming from Scary Movie or something...character is not credible, neither role is.

Even Rogue One was more respectful of canons and what I expect from a Star Wars. In fact, at this point we should have fired JJ Abrams, the two others writters, the purple haired bookstore owner and this whole clique of bad actors, and make a whole new trilogy on Dark Vador if its too hard to create new characters.

Just make 9 hours of Dark Vador wrecking rebels , Obiwan escaping...etc

Have you felt how this Rogue One scene was powerful?

"Hurr durr Imma waste your time with a google search."
    Also, none of her comments I've seen fit the definition of "anti-Semitism" or any of the other "isms" thrown around as accusations. Maybe you and makawa need some reminder, since we're being patronizing here already?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Or you could dig out the actual quote, if you think there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    So what are we talking about here? It's like some people come from an alternate reality or something.
    What do you expect from individuals who think it's OK to refer to other people as "people of color"...

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

You guys still here tormenting eachother over the corpse of that franchise?
    Brilliant!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    What do you expect from individuals who think it's OK to refer to other people as "people of color"...
    What’s this mean?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    You guys still here tormenting eachother over the corpse of that franchise?
    Brilliant!
    Seems Disney is sucking people dry for at least three different mediums with the possibility of a fourth. That corpse is either not a corpse or the dead horse is still quite worth beating.

The cash must flow.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

And yeah, not everyone is a social justice warrior, and most people don’t care that much about representation and such. but not everyone is a status quo warrior either who gets outraged every time they see a woman or black person on the screen. Disney is betting that the former group is growing and the latter group is shrinking, and it has been paying off for them so far.
    Yeah Rey was a woman of color.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. That people wanted Gina Carano to leave? Or that people wanted Pedro to leave?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

he said "women or people of color". What are you doing?