Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wow, a female liked it! /sarcasm

My last bit regarding the mandalorian; this show would have been canceled in the first season if it were a western about a taciturn bounty hunter with a dramatic past who was tasked with carrying a baby with someone of his race. But yes, sure,many of us are enjoying it, the force of star wars and its merchandising are strong in this series.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Yeah but Mandalorian is like their only content on Disney+. Everything else is for little kids.
    Besides you could slap a Star Wars label on anything and so long as it isn't god awful someone would watch it.
    All Star Wars is for little kids, the only caveat is that the original kids grew up. It's always been non-sexual, non-graphic violence, acceptable nonsensical swearing (Dank Farrik!) with goofy characters. When 'older' fans start trying to make it a grown up thing they sound like idiots.

Mandalorian has proved a massive hit with kids now, my 3 nephews aged 5-9 are obsessed, and they've gone back to the original trilogy and the prequels. Though the new films have proved a bit of a stretch so far.

Series has been amazing, as was the first, the level of effects and production are movie quality, even the LS cameo was reasonable and any flaws forgiven because, it was Mark Hamill.

With this show they've dished up a huge plate of fan service without crapping on the lore, they also managed to bring Star Wars to a new generation of kids.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    All Star Wars is for little kids, the only caveat is that the original kids grew up. It's always been non-sexual, non-graphic violence, acceptable nonsensical swearing (Dank Farrik!) with goofy characters. When 'older' fans start trying to make it a grown up thing they sound like idiots.
    That really wasn't my point. My post had more to do with Disney+ itself as a platform and why adults would even be subscribed to Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    With this show they've dished up a huge plate of fan service without crapping on the lore, they also managed to bring Star Wars to a new generation of kids.
    But why does the fan service need to be a good thing? Why is this the main attraction?

For the record I didn't think that the Rosario cameo as Ashoka Tano was that bad. Although I thought it would be. Some of my friends didn't like it but whatever I don't care.

The Temuera cameo was the only one that I really liked. That episode was just cool.

Bill Burr again... don't care.

The last episode cameo was weird. If I wasn't so pessimistic about the franchise maybe I would like it. But I am indifferent. They had too many cameos to count and something like 5 reveals in a matter of two episodes. Including two reveals in the same episode, which is a big no.

The show as a whole has not been good enough for me to actually care. What made season 1 bearable was that it was small in scale and not pretentious. Season 2 is a step into fan bait and pretentious, which is exactly what I was expecting.

Obviously Disney is going to use this as a platform to launch like another 20 Star Wars series. So basically another MCU, which sounds horrible and I haven't actually liked 90% of the Star Wars franchise ever since Clone Wars came out in 2008. Now we can finally justify that subscription to Disney+ even though I am 37 and have no kids. Or you can avoid Disney's trap and not subscribe to anything, and watch it or don't watch it regardless.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

That really wasn't my point. My post had more to do with Disney+ itself as a platform and why adults would even be subscribed to Disney+.
    Tons of adults love Disney content. Disney+ subscriber projections already beat optimistic forecasts.

But why does the fan service need to be a good thing? Why is this the main attraction?

For the record I didn't think that the Rosario cameo as Ashoka Tano was that bad. Although I thought it would be. Some of my friends didn't like it but whatever I don't care.

The Temuera cameo was the only one that I really liked. That episode was just cool.

The last episode cameo was weird. If I wasn't so pessimistic about the franchise maybe I would like it. But I am indifferent. They had too many cameos to count and something like 5 reveals in a matter of two episodes. Including two reveals in the same episode, which is a big no.

The show as a whole has not been good enough for me to actually care. What made season 1 bearable was that it was small in scale and not pretentious. Season 2 is a step into fan bait and pretentious, which is exactly what I was expecting.

Obviously Disney is going to use this as a platform to launch like another 20 Star Wars series. So basically another MCU, which sounds horrible and I haven't actually liked 90% of the Star Wars franchise ever since Clone Wars came out in 2008. Now we can finally justify that subscription to Disney+ even though I am 37 and have no kids. Or you can avoid Disney's trap and not subscribe to anything, and watch it or don't watch it regardless.
    If you guys don't like it, okay. I enjoyed it tremendously and so did many other people. Fantastic ratings and reactions across the board. The show has been a massive success and really turned many around on Disney's handling of Star Wars.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Tons of adults love Disney content. Disney+ subscriber projections already beat optimistic forecasts.
    Like what? Highschool Musical: The Musical: The Series?

If you guys don't like it, okay. I enjoyed it tremendously and so did many other people. Fantastic ratings and reactions across the board. The show has been a massive success and really turned many around on Disney's handling of Star Wars.
    I wanted to enjoy it but season 2 was a step in the wrong direction for me. Not that I didn't call it. But I suppose it could have been a lot worse. My main gripe is that this reeks of Dave Filoni style of boring, cliched, episodic, "homage". The writing is average at best. For a lot of the episodes I had seen similar concepts done in 90's TV shows. Most of it just felt like filler or an exact retread of season 1. Only really thought that maybe 3 episodes in the entirety of season 2 were any good.

As for the second part there... well that was literally Disney's plan. They have restored the confidence of the disgruntled fan base to keep buying their product. Hooray!
    The only takeaway was that they should do lower budget shows rather than movies. Kathleen Kennedy still heads Lucasfilm and she doesn't seem to have actually let up her grip. Just waiting for her to screw it up again.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Like what? Highschool Musical: The Musical: The Series?
    Pretty much all Disney animated movies. Forget the fact that there are family nights where people want to sit down and watch a good, inoffensive film. Tons of adults have kids and Disney stuff is generally a safe, entertaining time killer. Then there's also "adults" my age, 25-35. Don't think I've even met a peer who hasn't enjoyed at least 1 Disney film. Disney, as a subscription service, probably makes the most sense after Netflix. it's catalogue is really strong.

I wanted to enjoy it but season 2 was a step in the wrong direction for me. Not that I didn't call it. But I suppose it could have been a lot worse. My main gripe is that this reeks of Dave Filoni style of boring, cliched, episodic, "homage". The writing is average at best. For a lot of the episodes I had seen similar concepts done in 90's TV shows. Most of it just felt like filler or an exact retread of season 1. Only really thought that maybe 3 episodes in the entirety of season 2 were any good.

As for the second part there... well that was literally Disney's plan. They have restored the confidence of the disgruntled fan base to keep buying their product. Hooray!
    The only takeaway was that they should do lower budget shows rather than movies. Kathleen Kennedy still heads Lucasfilm and she doesn't seem to have actually let up her grip. Just waiting for her to screw it up again.
    There is a real thirst for good, inoffensive, and well directed Star Wars content. Mandalorian is similar to Rebels and Clone Wars in that regard. I don't see as either three as particularly exceptional (though the Mandalorian is by far my favorite out of the three), but they are definitely fairly well done. As such, in my opinion, their ratings get ridiculously inflated in comparison to other content that doesn't have huge followings like Star Wars. Even Star Wars Prequels tend to get much more love these days, simply because of how bad the Sequel Trilogy is. Put in that context, it makes sense for why well done Star Wars content gets a lot of accolades that they may not necessarily deserve. That's my theory for why there is so much hype over The Mandalorian. A bunch of new shows have already been announced, and I hope that at least a couple of them are as good as The Mandalorian. If this is going to be a new beginning for good Star Wars content, I can't wait.

As an aside, I wouldn't call myself a Super Duper Star Wars fan, but I did overpay for a few DK Star Wars Incredible Cross Sections books that are now out of print. 79.99$ for a mint copy for the RotS one.

Blog Entries

I just saw this on twitter. Aside from being offensive, don't you, star wars fans, feel a bit like this? A bit insulted by the company?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1341139299094433792

I have felt represented by that .gif (or video, whatever) and I only consume some of their products. I know they are selling me a mediocre product and that I swallow it simply because "lightsabers, star wars, this is not really that bad".
    Last edited by mishkin; December 22, 2020 at 07:45 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I still haven’t watch TLJ or TRoS, and probably won’t. So people don’t necessarily consoom blindly.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

May i ask why you haven't seen those movies? Maybe the sequels seemed offensive to you towards the original product? Heresy, almost?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You don't like it, fair enough, certainly not going to try and change your mind.

From my perspective they brought me something that's been an irritant in the back of my memories since RotJ - Luke's story just ended. The selfish part of me wanted more of his journey and, in truth, I've harboured an anger at George Lucas for not telling that story. Then we got the new movies an aged Luke and Luke's death. Imagine 30 years of less 'important' stories being reimagined-rebooted and regurgitated, while Star Wars went off on tangent after tangent never giving Luke a moment as a Jedi master.

The cameo's were okay and probably served a need considering the main character wears a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I still haven’t watch TLJ or TRoS, and probably won’t. So people don’t necessarily consoom blindly.
    Don't bother. Coming from somebody who really doesn't like whining about SJWs, Mary Sues, and whatnot, I think the sequel trilogy as a whole is pretty garbage and the last two films, especially, are a disservice to Star Wars fans. Just pretend they don't exist. That's what I do.

Patrician

You could change Rey for a man and the writing of the Sequel Trilogy would still be garbage.

Also Love Mountain, I was referring to people who didn't have children. Why even pay for Disney+? If the only thing you want to watch are two shows you can just borrow someone else's account or watch it on the web.

Really hate the attitude that a lot of these corporate cucks are coming from. Not that anyone here is, mostly smug 30 year olds on Twitter that hate on people for not consuming Disney's content. Since when am I beholden to Disney as a corporate entity?

Speaking candidly here, Mandalorian and season 2 especially is just bait. Disney wants you to watch this, get over the awful Sequel Trilogy and then buy their other products again. It is just a cynical cash grab and the content is mediocre. Not that I expect anything less from Dave Filoni who was literally just hired by George as a puppet, and kept on board by Kathleen to be a puppet.

Now my issue with season 2 of Mandalorian really just is that it is just a cash grab. It literally is bait with all of their cameos and stuff. A lot of the episodes feel like filler and a repeat of what was done in season 1. The Kraayt Dragon hunt was basically just the episode where Mando gets the egg. None of it really feels meaningful.

But the main reason I see it as being weaker than season 1 is that there doesn't feel like there are any stakes. Storm Troopers are push overs, so seeing 5 guys blow through 20 Storm Troopers is nothing special. Much less 1 Jedi. Which is a huge mistake because fighting Storm Troopers was never this easy in the Original Trilogy. But it completely deflates any sense of tension. Where as season 1 at least had some tension. The season finale in season 1 was far superior. The season 2 finale had a weak final boss and just a cameo appearance.

But I think you are right Love Mountain. Maybe you do not realize how profound it really is, but people literally are dying of thirst and they want anything with a Star Wars label after the absolute crap that was the Sequel Trilogy. That doesn't make Disney's content anything other than average though. None of this stuff even erases the Sequel Trilogy either, it is all in the same universe and it is only a matter of time until they reference it.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 22, 2020 at 07:17 PM.

You could change Rey for a man and the writing of the Sequel Trilogy would still be garbage.

Also Love Mountain, I was referring to people who didn't have children. Why even pay for Disney+? If the only thing you want to watch are two shows you can just borrow someone else's account or watch it on the web.
    Well I for one do, and so do many of my peers. Most of us don't have kids. Disney has a lot of content that "normal people" like to watch. I know a lot of people on this board don't seem to like "mainstream" stuff, but most people don't really play Total War games. In fact, Disney's catalog is, arguably, better than Netflix's if you're the type who prefers movies over TV Shows.

Really hate the attitude that a lot of these corporate cucks are coming from. Not that anyone here is, mostly smug 30 year olds on Twitter that hate on people for not consuming Disney's content. Since when am I beholden to Disney as a corporate entity?
    It's Twitter. I'm quite stupid, crass and rude on Discord and Twitter myself, but that's not how I act in person or during serious conversations.

Speaking candidly here, Mandalorian and season 2 especially is just bait. Disney wants you to watch this, get over the awful Sequel Trilogy and then buy their other products again. It is just a cynical cash grab and the content is mediocre. Not that I expect anything less from Dave Filoni who was literally just hired by George as a puppet, and kept on board by Kathleen to be a puppet.

Now my issue with season 2 of Mandalorian really just is that it is just a cash grab. It literally is bait with all of their cameos and stuff. A lot of the episodes feel like filler and a repeat of what was done in season 1. The Kraayt Dragon hunt was basically just the episode where Mando gets the egg. None of it really feels meaningful.

But the main reason I see it as being weaker than season 1 is that there doesn't feel like there are any stakes. Storm Troopers are push overs, so seeing 5 guys blow through 20 Storm Troopers is nothing special. Much less 1 Jedi. Which is a huge mistake because fighting Storm Troopers was never this easy in the Original Trilogy. But it completely deflates any sense of tension. Where as season 1 at least had some tension. The season finale in season 1 was far superior. The season 2 finale had a weak final boss and just a cameo appearance.

But I think you are right Love Mountain. Maybe you do not realize how profound it really is, but people literally are dying of thirst and they want anything with a Star Wars label after the absolute crap that was the Sequel Trilogy. That doesn't make Disney's content anything other than average though. None of this stuff even erases the Sequel Trilogy either, it is all in the same universe and it is only a matter of time until they reference it.
    I think you're treating it a bit too seriously. The subscription is like ten bucks. I can end it or renew it whenever I want. In fact many people do just that, they cancel when they're bored or too busy, and resign when they want to watch something again. Any fandom or popular media is done for profit. Whether it's Eric Nylund's beloved Halo novels, or The Force Awakens, all of this is done for money first and foremost. Buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't. Cry if your franchise is being ruined, rejoice if it's being brought back. But let's not assign a level of profoundness or veritas to what is ultimately a mechanism for profit, regardless of whether it comes from a small-time author or a corporate behemoth.

Patrician

It's Twitter. I'm quite stupid, crass and rude on Discord and Twitter myself, but that's not how I act in person or during serious conversations.

I think you're treating it a bit too seriously. The subscription is like ten bucks. I can end it or renew it whenever I want. In fact many people do just that, they cancel when they're bored or too busy, and resign when they want to watch something again. Any fandom or popular media is done for profit. Whether it's Eric Nylund's beloved Halo novels, or The Force Awakens, all of this is done for money first and foremost. Buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't. Cry if your franchise is being ruined, rejoice if it's being brought back. But let's not assign a level of profoundness or veritas to what is ultimately a mechanism for profit, regardless of whether it comes from a small-time author or a corporate behemoth.
    Specifically I saw Chuck Wendig and Rian Johnson doing it. That was probably part of the reason that Chuck Wendig got fired from Marvel/Lucasfilm.

My issue isn't so much about the subscription fee. I am merely referring to the quality of the content that we are getting and are going to get.

Seriously though, anyone notice how so many episodes start with Mando doing something completely unrelated? He is flying around or something, then has to go find a character somewhere else, even though they just introduced the character in the previous episode. Wtf someone please acknowledge that Dave Filoni is a writer.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    May i ask why you haven't seen those movies? Maybe the sequels seemed offensive to you towards the original product? Heresy, almost?
    What i find insulting is some people on Lucasfilm attacking the fans directly, as mocking a emotional reaction of a fan to the last episode of Mandalorian season 2.

It is disgusting really.
    But to the point yeah, that meme is insulting. How dare they give content the fans actually appreciate.

This show has been awesome. What you call filler, i call part of the journey. It never felt boring at all. Thank god it reeks of Filoni and Jon Fraveau. Imagine if it didn't. I mean i dont need t,o we just need to look at the sequel trilogy after all.

I think you are asking too much of star wars. Star wars never meant to be breaking bad, or the sopranos, or citizen kane etc.

Seriously though, anyone notice how so many episodes start with Mando doing something completely unrelated? He is flying around or something, then has to go find a character somewhere else, even though they just introduced the character in the previous episode. Wtf someone please acknowledge that Dave Filoni is a writer.
    What you mean doing something unrelated? chasing the only leads that he got? His main lead was to find some Mandalorians that could point him to a jedi. Goes to tatooine, didn't find any, but found someone who knew where they were ( the Frog lady), in exchange for transportation, she gives the information, found said Mandalorians ( Bo katan and the night owls), Bo point him to Corvus to Ahsoka Tano. Ahsoka said he coulndt train Grogu, points him to typhon where Grogu could use the force to contact any remaining jedi. Does so Boba comes him for his armor, Grogu gest taken by Gideon, mando joins forces with his companions, to find Gideon, location and to get Grogu back.
    If anything the plot line is economical, and straight forward, being 8 episodes and all. It didn't felt much filler to me. And if you must consider his journey filler, at least did built on something, towards something. Man personally one of my favorite episodes on anything, and i mean anything, is episodes, that many consider filler. ( That episode 2 of season 8 of game of thrones for example, because the rest is unspeakable).

Btw the writing for the show is mostly Jon Favreau if im not mistaken.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 29, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So Disney fired Gina Carano and called her comments about censorship ‘abhorrent’, proceeding to censor her anyway.

What a bunch of politically correct, stuck up pieces of human crap.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Don't really care so much about her firing. I highly disagree about firing someone for their political opinions in a democracy. However, from what I read she was also a covid denier. As someone that has both suffered through covid and had both parents hospitalised with covid I don't care for these type of people, so not going to shed a tear about not seeing her in the show anymore.

What I do care is that I am about 70% through the new High Republic book Light of the Jedi and it's become a terrible drag. The first 30% was fairly decent. After that it's become almost unreadable pulp. Feels like the whole book was written by a committee and they had a list of tick boxes for the number of times they needed 'We are Republic' spoken by someone. It turns out that as I feared the whole High Republic will turn out to be just more utter trash.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'm not up to date on this, what did she say?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

She wrote "beep/bop/boop" on twitter and compared cancel cultists to the nazi censors of the 1930s.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Patrician

Gina Carano got fired? Part of me doesn't care at all because I am not enthusiastic about Mandalorian season 3. On the other hand I don't see why Gina Carano deserves to get fired.

I'm not going to bother reading High Republic or any other material that they come up with.

Wake me up when the Kenobi series airs. Maybe I will watch Mando 3... not sure.

Anyways Star Wars is dead. We know who killed it. So I don't really care for the dissected corpse they call Star Wars, or whatever Disney decides to do with it.