Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Well they were bred in tubes to follow orders. Much like dogs, horses, sheep, or cows.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

The most amusing for me is that all clones were CGI.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The thing we forget is that they’re chattel slaves. They are literally property of the Kaminoan government.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Yeah, when you think about it for a moment, it actually makes very little sense to produce clone troopers instead of battle droids. Droids are much cheaper and easier to manufacture. Now that i think about it, the whole idea of a clone army doesnt make much sense. The problem is that most things in SW dont make much sense when i think about them for a while. ;P

Why do i like SW... oh right Darth Vader!

So, do i get it right, the Kaminoans created a faulty batch of clone troopers? Isnt that "a little bit" far fetched? Expert cloners and a bad batch? Or am i missing something and the Kaminoans were not very expert at all? Besides, clones are all the same, how can there be a "bad batch" if they are all of the same genetic material, they would all be a bad batch or not in my understanding. For me its not a good idea, because in my opinion there wouldnt be any bad batches cause the Kaminoans would have not provided such.

I mean come on, it took 10 years to grow and train a clone, more than enough to weed out any defective ones.
    The bad batch were the product of experimentation, in genetic manipulation by the kaminoans. In order to give this clones certain abilities. Which they did, at the cost of them look different, or faulty, then the rest of the clones.
    One of them has enhanced strength, other enhanced vision and spatial awareness, their squad leader has enhanced sense of smell. and then there is eco a regular clone who was turned into a cyborg, by the techno union, when was captive.

I remember when Order 66 wasn't caused by brain chips and just happened because the Clones were following orders.
    Yes i remember, And still i prefer the chip storyline. makes Sidious plan much more insidious and evil. Also extra dramatic on the emotional conflict, if you are to relate to the clones, on a human level. Which is one of the points of the clone wars.

Well they were bred in tubes to follow orders. Much like dogs, horses, sheep, or cows.
    "I will not be undermined by creatures bred in some laboratory!"- Pong Krell
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yes only they are people and they are sentient. One of the best things in the clone wars is to see their struggle with that.
    In fact one of the very early episodes of the show deals with a traitor clone, choosing to betray the republic and his brothers for money, and a sense of freedom.
    Then there is Cut Lawquane a clone who deserted and married a twilek woman named Suu Lawquane, having a family with her in Seleucami.

Not to mention most of the clone story lines which deal exactly with this dynamics. From the cadet story lines, with rex and fives story lines. Darkness in Umbara being one of the best and coolest clone story arcs, of the whole show.

The thing we forget is that they’re chattel slaves. They are literally property of the Kaminoan government.
    Property of the Republic. The kaminoans were just the contractors.
    Jedi master Sifo Dias ordered the construction of the grand army for the Republic, ( not just clones, but Venators as well) funded by the banking clan on behalf of the republic, secretly. Who Darth Plagueis controlled.
    Later on Sidious and Dooku would finish what Plagueis started to push for.

How did Rex resist order 66?

Yeah, when you think about it for a moment, it actually makes very little sense to produce clone troopers instead of battle droids. Droids are much cheaper and easier to manufacture.
    Maybe but clones were far superior to battle droids. And there was an ulterior motive for the use of clones, of course.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 17, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries

It would be awesome to see more echo, he’s the only living clone whose story we’ve seen on screen start to finish.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Yeah, when you think about it for a moment, it actually makes very little sense to produce clone troopers instead of battle droids. Droids are much cheaper and easier to manufacture. Now that i think about it, the whole idea of a clone army doesnt make much sense. The problem is that most things in SW dont make much sense when i think about them for a while. ;P

Why do i like SW... oh right Darth Vader!
    They explained in the Attack of the Clones movie why using clones instead of droids. They said clones were more flexible than droids, not as limited as the droid programming, capable.of showing more initiative.

Plus a lot of Star Wars society has a bias against droids, clones as living beings might have been more acceptable. Plus non clone normal beings could be more easily clones than with fighting with droids. And perhaps clones poised less of a risk for being hijacked - perhaps a droid runs a greater risk of being hacked and turned against its owners than clones.

Many of the droids in Episodes 1 and 2 seemed rather limited, and seemed overall less effective. More capable droids might have been more expensive.

Clones were ultimately better but also much more expensive to grow and train for 10 years. Thats probably one of the main reasons why later the Empire used recruits. Droid is a simple machine that is relatively easy to be mass produced. As long as you have the resources and facilities necessary, you could always crank out more droids than clones and defeat the enemy with sheer numbers.

Blog Entries

What do you think of the second Mandalorian season?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Massive fan service. From baby yoda to ahsoka. If you take that away, it is just a seedy science fiction series reminiscent of westerns.

Blog Entries

Why is baby yoda fan service? What about the tuskens? Mayfeld?

Patrician

A huge fan wank, more of the same episodic nonsense, no real feeling of progression, and kinda boring.

Oh yeah and they redesigned the Kraayt Dragon which I didn't really appreciate. But I thought that particular episode was really cliched and basic. Which is all you can expect from Dave Filoni.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Why is baby yoda fan service?
    Baby yoda is a direct reference to one of the most endearing characters in the saga (we didnt call him baby yoda just because) and the wettest dream of the star wars marketing / merchandising department
    What about the tuskens? Mayfeld?
    I should google tuskens. Mayfeld was the small guy dubbed by Nick Nolte? What about them? With that you mean that they also added new things?

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    What do you think of the second Mandalorian season?
    Greatest piece of Star Wars media since Revenge of the Sith. This is what the ST should have been.

You can see that Favreau and Filoni are actually fans and love Star Wars. They don't want to make a good tv series, they want to make a good Star Wars tv series.

Hopefully Filoni/Favreau take over Star Wars from KK and hopefully we will actually have good quality star wars going forward. This final episode feels almost like an apology and Dinsey trying to redeem itself and save the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Massive fan service. From baby yoda to ahsoka. If you take that away, it is just a seedy science fiction series reminiscent of westerns.
    Never understood what fan service means. Sounds ridiculous. Shouldn't star wars be made for people that like star wars? Why would you want to make a product that the fans would not like? Isn't this meant to be a profitable business? How would you make money if not by making stuff that people like?

And the whole idea is for the series to be an homage to old Western movies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Never understood what fan service means. Sounds ridiculous. Shouldn't star wars be made for people that like star wars? Why would you want to make a product that the fans would not like? Isn't this meant to be a profitable business? How would you make money if not by making stuff that people like?
    I basically agree with you, it is a good product for most of the star wars fans. but I think that they can also aspire to make good television for the general public, risk a little even, I'm not sure that the two are incompatible. I really tend to think that no, that both things (having the hardcore fans happy and creating something worthwhile beyond what they expect) are not compatible.

Patrician

I hated the celebrity cameos. "Woah it is Bill Burr"... yeah so what? For me the only good cameo was the original which was Apollo Creed. Clancy Brown was cool too.

Why would they not be compatible? They are perfectly compatible and I am sure fair amount of the general public watched and enjoyed Mandalorian considering that it is by far the most viewed show on Disney+, 5 times more viewed than any other show on the platform.

Patrician

Yeah but Mandalorian is like their only content on Disney+. Everything else is for little kids.
    Besides you could slap a Star Wars label on anything and so long as it isn't god awful someone would watch it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Why would they not be compatible? They are perfectly compatible and I am sure fair amount of the general public watched and enjoyed Mandalorian considering that it is by far the most viewed show on Disney+, 5 times more viewed than any other show on the platform
    Yes, star wars is a very popular franchise. But would you recommend the mandalorian to someone you know is not interested in star wars? I'm not saying that they can't kill time or even enjoy the series. but without a doubt they would prefer to see something else that does not expect their viewers to get goose bumps every time they see the light of a lightsaber.
    Last edited by mishkin; December 21, 2020 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    But would you recommend the mandalorian to someone you know is not interested in star wars?
    For sure, I actually recommended it a female friend of mine who hasn't seen all star wars movies just because of baby yoda. I think a large amount of non-Star Wars fans would watch it because of the culture icon status now attached to baby yoda and the cuteness factor.

Although one thing to remember, this is generally a 30 minutes show (with a couple of exceptions). So it is more on the level of a sitcom or a procedural show rather than a Game of Thrones type series.

I expect the next Disney shows to be 1 hour long shows and aim towards the high end of the tv series market.