Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Instinct, in this case, taps into the Force.

Releasing passion is both force multiplier and instant power boost.

Dooku's might be more controlled, being fed by anger and disillusionment.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Is the mechanics of force really that important? Mysticism on Earth has also its fair share of contradictions.
    I know one thing, it was established in the OT to be controllable by old masters and Jedi needed training, although some had innate attraction to the force like Skywalker.
    Vader still beat Luke effortlessly in EpV
    It doesn't make sense in the established universe that a noone like MaRey Sue can instantly beat dark jedi/Sith.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    Is the mechanics of force really that important? Mysticism on Earth has also its fair share of contradictions.
    I know one thing, it was established in the OT to be controllable by old masters and Jedi needed training, although some had innate attraction to the force like Skywalker.
    Vader still beat Luke effortlessly in EpV
    It doesn't make sense in the established universe that a noone like MaRey Sue can instantly beat dark jedi/Sith.
    I would be happy to keep it vague and unanswered but George and Disney keep wanting to answer it in the stupidest ways imaginable.
    In this case it matters because it is the ultimate truth of the Star Wars Universe.

The actual mechanics could be done better. If you read the Expanded Universe material or played some of the games they don't put nearly as many limitations on how to use the Force. They also use the Force in smarter ways than in many of the films. The Prequels seem to have limited the Force entirely to jumping, Force Push (TM) and Force Choke (TM). Then a really strong bad guy gets to shoot Force Lightning (TM). Also a few general things like telekinesis, prophetic visions and mind reading. But there ought to be all sorts of other powers, in the Expanded Universe there are a few. The physics in Clone Wars and Rebels were really bad, the whole thing felt artificial. Logically a robot who has 4 arms and bird legs, as well as being completely made of metal, would be really strong but instead he was a complete pushover.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 22, 2019 at 11:58 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

What do you mean few? There are a lot of esoteric Force powers in the EU. Sith Alchemy, Sith mind tricks, Jedi smithing, healing, projection, stealth, etc...

Patrician

There are a few, it varies by material. There should be a lot more powers. Even if just to be applied in combat.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Jedi force building.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Instinct, in this case, taps into the Force.

Releasing passion is both force multiplier and instant power boost.

Dooku's might be more controlled, being fed by anger and disillusionment.
    well, thats only a bad thing if they are expressions of negative emotions, right? does it work with all emotions? codifying emotions is a problem in itself, and it seems the jedi idea is that all passions are bad, which is oc humbug.

why is dooku more in control tho, i dont get that part.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Does anyone here feel like they have wasted years of their life reading Expanded Universe Star Wars novels and comics which now don't mean anything anymore in the lore?

Senator

Wasted? no way.
    I gonna reread the X-Wing series again, the NJO and think to my self how much better I´ve been entertained in contrast to the new lore.

Patrician

Not really. I still read Expanded Universe comics and books. Only downside is that they will probably never continue that material. Unless Disney sees a massive loss in profits and Marvel/Disney stops wanking themselves. Honest question, did anyone even read the old Marvel comics? They should have brought back some of the novels instead. A lot of people wanted to read the Jaina Solo books which got canceled (not me personally but still). Could have kept the Luke story going etc.

Most read like fan fiction, so outside a couple of gems, not a great loss.

There were some fun issues from Marvel's run.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Does anyone here feel like they have wasted years of their life reading Expanded Universe Star Wars novels and comics which now don't mean anything anymore in the lore?
    scew the lore, its the story and its meaning that counts. the different levels of canon SW had never made any sense anyway, either it is canon, or it aint.

if i watch the movies, whats in them is canon. everything else is arbitrary.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Eh still, the new trilogy isn’t great lore. Lore is what makes large multi-movie sagas like this worth investing in.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Let's be real, the new trilogy has lore and world building. The story itself isn't necessarily bad, I've certainly watched and read a lot of different articles on the series that really helped me appreciate the new trilogy more. However, I don't think anyone here is particularly enthused with the lore. This is actually where the prequels were really great. They may have been bad movies but the lore was epic.

Patrician

For me the lore wasn't really a factor. I just think the movies and the characters really suck.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    scew the lore, its the story and its meaning that counts. the different levels of canon SW had never made any sense anyway, either it is canon, or it aint.

if i watch the movies, whats in them is canon. everything else is arbitrary.
    Well to me the lore is very important. The canon system was an organised mess and it worked really well. Even when they did the PT it didn't mess up the lore completely and any inconsistencies were nicely retconned.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    For me the lore wasn't really a factor. I just think the movies and the characters really suck.
    Daisy Ridley’s Rey is a really weak character. She’s just a boring action heroine, and Ridley seems to have on facial expression: surprised with her mouth agape all the time.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Patrician

These movies are so awful. Even if I cared about the characters, I would stop caring after sitting through two hours of that. Ruined the original trilogy in a way that the prequel trilogy could never do (by virtue of being a sequel of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Daisy Ridley’s Rey is a really weak character. She’s just a boring action heroine, and Ridley seems to have on facial expression: surprised with her mouth agape all the time.
    It's not entirely her fault, she was written as a bad character that started out as a Mary Sue. I guess the writers were afraid of catching heat from the usual grievance mongers, so they avoided making her as complex character and went straight into "strong womyn" mode.

Rogue One was great. The mainline stories and sadly the Solo stories have been crap. Want me to spend $17.00 to watch a movie? Abandon your politically motivated justice warrior timeline. I don't care. Write a good story devoid of overwriting political themes. When I PAY MONEY to ENTERTAIN MYSELF do you honestly think I not only pay money to hear (your idiotic, uninformed, unsourced, propaganda driven perspective) opinion, but hear your opinion uncritically? Bye.