Page 2 of 291 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Never liked Mind's Eye, it felt fanfictish.

The one where Solo fights the Man (or the Corporate Sector) wasn't too bad, as I recall it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

and blondes in their underwear.
    wich even that, they dont even bother to show dam you JJ Abrahms.
    Allthough i hink he is a ok director, liked Super 8, even though it kinda felt a dated movie(genre) imo. It felt so 80/90s

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I liked all of Timothy Zahn's storylines and I thought Karen Traviss' writing was pretty good. I pretty much just pretend her vision of the Mandalorians is canon over what they replaced it with. I can't stand the Cartoon Network Animated series, unlike most of you it seems. I only watched early episodes and it supposedly improved greatly as it went on, but I just can't stand the way it ruined the canon of the few Clone Wars things I enjoyed in the EU. As for Abrams, I'm hoping for a good 5 movies (I read awhile back there'd be two prequels for Solo and Fett being made) but I won't hold my breath.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

I pretty much just pretend her vision of the Mandalorians is canon over what they replaced it with.
    I realy never understand why some people whine so much about that, since there isnt realy much cause. That series didnt changed canon, only added to it, it didnt even medle with EU, the show makers where very cautions regarding that, regardless wasnt diferent time frames anyway? all i seen was everything plausable, not to mention the only people who whine about that issue, its always the same people that never watched the show in the first place, safe for the earlier episodes? wich are not very good. The clone wars only starts to kick in the second season.

I thought Karen Traviss' writing was pretty good.
    lol what? im yet to see good literature coming out of Star wars the EU. Other then the Trawn Triology, and other few exceptions of the old republic era. (some stuff not everything old republic is good)
    Everything else, it was always very transparent as what they realy are, fan service for profits, it always put me off.
    Im actualy glad they "erase" all that crap from canon.

I only watched early episodes and it supposedly improved greatly as it went on
    It did. it become more entertaining at least. Just keep in mind, they had childish archs l in the midle of great and fairly interesting episode archs.
    Its obvious you never watched the series the mandalorians as pacifists? i think you dont know what you are talking about, half truths arent good basis for a fair judgement imo.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 30, 2014 at 09:32 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I watched very select episodes of the Clone Wars. I don't think they ruined the canon but a lot of the episodes just annoyed me as not being anything more than a somewhat simplistic cartoon series. about half of all the episodes I even really enjoyed, so I guess only half the show was up to my standards when it came to writing and character development (my primary concern). Much of the other things in that show were prequel apeasement episodes where they genuinely tried to do things in the prequels or clarify prequel things (and hence also flawed). Like I remember in the last season Liam Niesson was voicing Quigon and just explaining those midichlorians using different words than in the movies, I couldn't help but laugh during that episode and how hard they tried to excuse the prequels.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Star Wars is best enjoyed as talking moving pictures.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Only watched select clips of the cartoon, and I dont care for it at all. People dont move realisticly, they move as cartoon figures. It makes the battles look silly. I also dont like the stylised look thats used here.

And gods.. Ashoka Tano is more annoying than jar jar binks and also seems way too young to be sexualised in such a way. she's like twelve or such?

Boba Fett Movie Casts Jango Actor Temuera Morrison In 2016 ‘Star Wars’ 7 Spinoff

The Boba Fett movie may have cast Temuera Morrison as the fabled bounty hunter for theStar Wars spinoff.

In a related report by The Inquisitr, one of the rumor out there is that the writer for theWalking Dead video game series will also being writing the Boba Fett movie script. We also know that the Star Wars spinoff will be filmed at London’s Pinewood Studios in 2015 and that Disney is having a hard time transforming the feared bounty hunter into a good guy.
    The Boba Fett movie release date was accidentally confirmed for 2016 when toy manufacturer Hasbro leaked out a list of the entire Star Wars release years:

• 2014: Rebels
    • 2015: Episode VII
    • 2016: Boba Fett
    • 2017: Episode VIII
    • 2018: Solo
    • 2019: Episode IX
    • 2020: Red Five

At this point all Disney is willing to confirm is that there will indeed be up to three Star Warsspinoff movies but no titles have been announced officially. That being the case, IMDB lists the 2016 spinoff as “Untitled Star Wars Project” and very little information is available at this point. For example, Gary Whitta is mentioned as screenplay writer as mentioned above (although some believe that Lawrence Kasdan will still be involved somehow) in addition to producer Kathleen Kennedy.
    But really catches our attention is that Temuera Morrison is specifically listed as Boba Fett. Morrison portrayed Jango Fett and the clone troopers in Attack of the Clones. He also voiced Bobba Fett in the 2004 special edition of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. The other two cast members listed are Mason Brett and Mike Kasem, son of recently deceased Casey Kasem. Maybe one of them could be a droid buddy?
    If Morrison is indeed going to be Boba Fett then that likely means we’ll be treated to a story that follows an older bounty hunter who manages to survive the sarlacc pit similar to the Star Wars Expanded Universe story lines. But considering that Fett spends pretty much all his screen time wearing a helmet it’s possible that a younger Boba Fett could be done similar to how James Earl Jones voiced Darth Vader while another man provided the body. So even if IMDB is correct about Morrison being Fett we still cannot derive a possible plot timeline from that information.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Abrams is only going to direct Episode 7. 8 and 9 will be directed by Rian Johnson, who directed Looper

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...wars-episode-8
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Looper was hit and miss for me. Parts of it were well done other parts were a bit off. I don't know if he did the story for Looper but some of the time travel logic did not work as well as they wanted it to. What I am worried about is how bad will JJ Abrams leave it for his one effort before the new guy has to pick up the pieces?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    The problem with Star Wars, including the EU, is that it's all made up on the fly. The simple fact they have so many types of canon is testament to it.
    Leia and Luke were obviously meant to be possible lovers more than kin, sword fights are slower than real ones in the original and suddenly become acrobatic whirly circus acts, the Force changes from a few vague and unfocused powers to magic with a different name, the Death Star changes from a singular effort and achievement to one of many dozens wunderwaffen projects, Force users go from extremely rare to ubiquitous (even retroactively as the EU decides practically every single Imperial extra not wearing basic armour is actually a Force use)...

There was no baseline to gauge everything with until after a whole bunch of over the top ridiculous stuff came out
    Yeah, I agree that large chunks of the EU are not very good. But there are good parts too, like the story for 'The Force Unleashed', the game itself might not be very good but I like the story. Generally, with the EU, just pick the parts you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic7bR9IXWRQ

They picked the After Earth writer for a SW spin-off, I don't ing get you Hollywood.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1729428/

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

​Friendly reminder that none of EU is canon anymore

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Friendly reminder that Star Wars is fantasy.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

They picked the After Earth writer for a SW spin-off, I don't ing get you Hollywood.
    Luke take a knee! Im your father! and take a knee!

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Extended universe was never cannon anyway. But my response to new Star Wars is. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Knight of Heaven, I thought the Yuzahn vong (dont know how to spell them and don't care anymore) was pretty good portion of the EU, which was about 23 books if i recall correctly. those ceased being fan service during the first book where they killed chewie (which was masterfully done) however people that were used to the eu stories that were just fan service like you said gave death threats to R.A Salvatore who in turn said he would never do a star wars book again. In the YV series it really felt like something was at stake. then it went back to being stupid again with the whole solo turning to the dark side becoming darth caedan or whatever the he was called. again don't care.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

People mad about the Mandeloreans in the clone wars series? I thought their story was pretty damn good, a world conflicted over its own past that arched into the best storyline in the series when maul&Bro stumbled into them.

And it was made pretty clear that the old school Mandeloreans was the best soldiers in the whole universe. (non-magic hax)

Temuera morrison is awesome, did a great job in republic commando too.

Now really, a spin off about the KOTOR era (perhaps following the 1st game) would be much better than Solo/rebels/even Boba Fett IMHO.

But i can see why they wont do it, what might drive them off is the fact that not many "normal" people would understand its way back on the timeline and the fact there aint no protagonists from the original and the prequel trilogies.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

The thrawn trilogy is the only EU that I consider to be truly canon. I loved the idea that the bad guy was winning not because he had some "force" like super powers. He just was able to plan things logically and methodically and that he wasnt a super evil guy. I still read that trilogy all the time. I hope J.J Abrams actually incorporates some of the thrawn books into his movie.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.