Page 11 of 291 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

flota's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

With CW they were targeting kids, if older fans like it was like collateral damage.
    They could come up with anime but as long it looks great I could care less. They could use the animators of aldonoah or other anime that looks legit, no more squares pls but oh well.
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOE...7ZJ1h&index=32
    Found this video on YouTube and I think it's rather interesting.

I've long suspected that they would kill off one of the original cast. In my opinion it will either be Han (as Harrison Ford wanted the character dead from the Carbonite or in the Endor battle) or Luke (seeing as they always kill of the master character in the beginning of every trilogy).

But do we even really want another trilogy? What for? Cause if it is to have the original cast I'd say they should have done that in the 90s (or maybe not if George was going to half ass it like he did the prequels).

Maybe the only reason we need it (not the studio, obviously they need it to make a trillion dollars for the third time) is to make up for the less than stellar prequels.
    Probably the biggest fear when it comes to some of the older nerds er I mean fans, is that they will screw up the main cast somehow or that they will try to rip off the originals for fanboyism or nostalgia value (like if maybe JJ won't lie again and say that Darth Vader isn't in this movie like he did with the last Star Trek ).

Really then that's why I think the above video makes valid points. Seeing as Star Wars has had some of the weaker parts in the first film then it is questionable as to where it might go. I know lots of people complain that New Hope is too slow, no I am not referring to that. I mean the very simple story basically from Joseph Campbell that would suck if it wasn't Star Wars or if other people not named George had caught up on that. Although in my opinion New Hope was pretty solid as far as all six Star Wars films go. Even then the plot and relative unimportance of Phantom Menace to the story was pathetic. So one has to wonder what this seventh film is about.

And to be completely honest I'm not too interested in a new Star Wars story seeing as so many others have been so poorly developed or resolved (Nomi Sunrider, Revan, hell even the prequels).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

There's a term for that, omake.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Patrician

I believe that is pronounced plagiarism

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

It's fan service, usually not meant to disrupt the original story flow, and allow you to spend more time with the characters being themselves and doing cute things.

Most of these previous Disney manifestations tended to go straight to DVD.

Patrician

can't wait for straight to dvd Star Wars episode 20.
    But as I said with JJ one has to wonder if Darth Vader won't be in Star Wars 7 and then wait how long til he has to deny it (and lie).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    can't wait for straight to dvd Star Wars episode 20.
    But as I said with JJ one has to wonder if Darth Vader won't be in Star Wars 7 and then wait how long til he has to deny it (and lie).
    Im pretty sure it was already mentioned That Vader would be there as well Sidious, as in flashbacks.
    The death of Han solo has been a long discussed topic, since everyone knows that the original cast is back.
    It is also knowned the original cast arent the main characters or the great dynamic behind the storyline. Other then Luke i belive pretty much everyone else is a gloryfied suport role.

Honestly as long as they put a good film, im happy. Knowing that George lucas isnt directing it, is already a plus.
    And to be completely honest I'm not too interested in a new Star Wars story seeing as so many others have been so poorly developed or resolved (Nomi Sunrider, Revan, hell even the prequels).
    Well its a new begining. Those stories are actualy not canon now. so it doesnt matter.
    As much as i love some of those characters.
    Btw how was Nomi Sunrider story arc unresolved? The Story of Ulic redemption, teaching Nomis daughter and dieing while protecting her and Nomi is a perfect resolution imo.

Or Revan? wich as far as i know is still ongoing in SWTOR. I hear rumors he might be back.

Regardless this is Old republic stuff, i doubt they were planing to will ever go there cinematic wise.
    Latest rumor though, places Obi Wan in a series of spin off movies i belive.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 15, 2014 at 03:51 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well its going to be interesting considering the near monopoly Marvel have had on quality Sci-Fi lately.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Honestly as long as they put a good film, im happy. Knowing that George lucas isnt directing it, is already a plus.

Well its a new begining. Those stories are actualy not canon now. so it doesnt matter.
    As much as i love some of those characters.
    Btw how was Nomi Sunrider story arc unresolved? The Story of Ulic redemption, teaching Nomis daughter and dieing while protecting her and Nomi is a perfect resolution imo.

Or Revan? wich as far as i know is still ongoing in SWTOR. I hear rumors he might be back.

Regardless this is Old republic stuff, i doubt they were planing to will ever go there cinematic wise.
    Latest rumor though, places Obi Wan in a series of spin off movies i belive.
    I'm glad George isn't directing but I think they're playing with expectations way too much.
    It's actually kind of hard for me to care about a new story to be honest. I realize that the old cast isn't the most important which leads me to question the point behind hyping it up like they really matter anyway.

I don't consider Revan resolved or even well down since the TOR game ruined Revan in my opinion. Revan most certainly will come back as he is the game's biggest motivation among the fan base. The hype of another KOTOR was what led much of their fan base to play that game... and then disappoint them.
    I wasn't aware that the Nomi Sunrider series was over. I'm pretty sure they were still going to release several books about that which they have never gotten around to. I wasn't expecting them to go to the big screen with these ones but some actual resolutions to their other stories would be nice, so I pretty much care more about this other stuff than a new Trilogy.

Disney's newly acquired Marvel franchise has paid off I am actually wondering when they will break. I just can't believe that they can keep making this stuff successfully. Star Wars on the other hand is an instant cash cow even if it sucks. The name Star Wars will still attract people and if not it can always sell toys and light sabers so they will most likely never go wrong so long as they can keep making money. Just look at the prequels for instance and compare the discrepancies between review scores and profits.

There's plenty of examples of what not to do for superhero films, so may be less genius on Disney's part, and more paying attention.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well the Marvel train show no sign of stopping,

The latest film, Guardians of the Galaxy was a massive box office success as well as an excellent movie.

If the next Star Wars come out better than Guardians did, I'd be surprised.

Star Wars carries a lot of expectations, even if on reflection you might feel that the original three films actually could have been better produced and directed.

Personally, I rather like the alternate universe take of Star Trek, but the limited scope of the movies attempts to squeeze in too much, and over paces.

Patrician

I seriously am concerned whether the near sightedness of those two Star Trek films has to do with the writer/producers or with JJ Abrams directing. I mean the directing is good but who knows if JJ had a hand in the failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I seriously am concerned whether the near sightedness of those two Star Trek films has to do with the writer/producers or with JJ Abrams directing. I mean the directing is good but who knows if JJ had a hand in the failure.
    Do you remember how bad some of the old films were? Let's not act like you believe you're seeing a new thing. You're just watching Star Trek.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

One does not simply just watch Star Trek.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    One does not simply just watch Star Trek.
    Yes. One apparently worships Star Trek until the new films come out and then thinks the old films are a whole helluva lot better than they actually were.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Yes the more I watch Star Trek the Motion picture I realise how deep and nuanced the story actually is and I forget how bored I was watching it the first ten times in my life.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    Yes the more I watch Star Trek the Motion picture I realise how deep and nuanced the story actually is and I forget how bored I was watching it the first ten times in my life.
    Don't get me wrong. That story, great for a 300 page sci-fi book. Piss poor execution for a movie. That movie was crappier than Star Trek V.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am yanking your chain a bit here.

It was actually better in the original series with NOMAD the probe that beamed itself aboard the enterprise and Kirk was the name of the creator. Needless to say Kirk defeated it with logic.

Actually for 1978 I would say that ST:TMP was a well executed film both technically well made and well directed. It just wasn't exciting because of pacing of scenes.

Also Star Trek V would have been better if Paramount had backed Shatner and gone darker with less humour and given him the proper ending he has been asking for with the Rock monster.

Also credit avatar from.

Well, like I said, great for a book. You can actually deal with that pacing in a serious sci-fi book, and add a little more besides. And it was the scene where Spock's brother dealt with McCoy's and Spock's pains and Kirk refused and McCoy and Spock still back Kirk that to this day is the second best scene in the OST Star Trek movies in spite of it being one of the worst movies of all of Star Trek history.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson