Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Ashoka was created by Dave Filoni, Lucas just approved it. For all of his faults Filoni has done more to save and integrate old EU concepts into modern Star Wars than anyone else. So for that I am very glad as a big EU fan.

I am very hyped about Ashoka appearing in the Mandalorian. Although to be honest I would have preferred if she died in rebels. It's just such a huge hole the fact that she is never mentioned in Ep III and IV-VI and that she is still around albeit in hiding or whatever. Same with Ezra.

I wouldn't have minded the High Republic thing if it wasn't for the brain storm board that we could see in the video.

Diversity is included twice and for some reason it says 'not pro war'. What does that even mean? First of all, it is called Star Wars (yes there is a war in the stars) and second of all it was never pro war, many times it shows the horrible side of war. So it seems to be they are starting the story writing from an ideological point of view instead of an actual fun and insteresting story. This has alarm bells ringing all over.

Also, this whole story by committee is the most horrible thing in modern day media. We bag out George Lucas, but we are lucky that back in the day you could have one person come up with an original idea and create something new. Nowadays all of that is gone. And it's sad.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

It indeed be a shame if the High Republic will be like the sequel trilogy, more formulaic boardroom D and I stuff, and poor quality storylines.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't care for Ashoka as a character either way, and I honestly don't like Filoni.

Are aliens not diverse enough? Yall some racis ass Niktos!

By the way the thing I find funniest is that they want university and dinosaurs.
    Star Wars needs dinosaurs, they are essential to the plot. No idea wtf university means. Jedi university?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; March 24, 2020 at 01:29 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Looks like the writers just wanting to insert their own fantasies into Star Wars.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    No idea wtf university means. Jedi university?
    Star Wars Hogwarts.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Star Wars Hogwarts.
    Jedi Knight: Academy: The movie?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Patrician

I've got a PhD in Sithonomics. My thesis was on Watto's The Art of the Deal.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I am very hyped about Ashoka appearing in the Mandalorian.
    I am hyped about both Ashoka and Sabine appearing in Mandalorian. I was hyped since I saw the Darksaber in Mandalorian. Even if Sabine somehow doesn't show up in the 2nd season, she will definitely show up and play an important role. She's... a Mandalorian.

Diversity is included twice and for some reason it says 'not pro war'. [...] So it seems to be they are starting the story writing from an ideological point of view instead of an actual fun and insteresting story. This has alarm bells ringing all over.
    Here too. That is indeed not only alarming but downright disappointing. They want to pass a message and then they try to find the story. Screw the diversity, give us a story. If it happens to have diversity so be it. In Mandalorian the various people of color being around feels... natural. Not forced. Same with the powerful female characters unlike Last Jedi with the misandry.

And I think Sabine is a homosexual anyway.
    Also Hera's baby is probably ~15 years old by Mandalorian season 2.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Patrician

The original Star Wars was already pro-war. How are you supposed to overthrow the Empire without being pro-war? Giving me some mixed signals. It was the prequel trilogy which was not pro-war.

If Sabine does show up, and I am completely ambivalent to her character because she was really lame, I hope she looks nothing like her character model in Rebels. Sabine has to be the worst and laziest character design that I've ever seen.

Why Rosario Dawson to play Ashoka? Of the dozens of actresses to play Ashoka, why did they choose Rosario Dawson? Was she the only actor that could faithfully portray the character or something? When someone thinks of Ashoka was their immediate connection to Rosario Dawson? Just such a strange choice. Would be like if they cast Mark Wahlberg as Kanan.... what???

I think The Mandalorian is bound to have a significant quality decrease. You see this so much with shows that had good starting seasons but then the writers get greedy or they get some new guy and change direction. What made the first season have a certain charm is just how simple and unambitious it was. Already I'm starting to see cracks what with unnecessary cameos and presumably no idea what they are actually doing with the story line. There were already people who thought the show was underwhelming and if season 2 is going to go into this sort of territory I will probably join them and not watch this at all. A good example of this was Castlevania, first season of only 4 episodes was solid, but the second and third season were crap.

Similarly with High Republic, they seem to have no idea what they are doing. No real clue what they are doing with their story line. Honestly this is what happens when you fill up a boardroom with incompetent 20 year olds and 30 year olds. Where are the veteran writers? Do they have any good writers on this thing? Mind you this isn't just because they are focusing on social agendas, I think if they get rid of it whatever they ended up writing would still suck. Case in point when they were talking about it in that trailer... when talking about their villains, "What do the Jedi fear most?" and my first thought was obviously the Sith but then they go "the Nile". Okay first of all, what the actual is a Nile? Some lame pirate marauders? Second of all, no, the answer to that question was already the Sith. Anyway, there is no point in complaining about it because no one will even care about this property, just go read the Expanded Universe material. Honestly I started laughing when I saw "dinosaurs" as something listed under things that Star Wars needs. It just give you an idea at how green this team must be. The other thing that rustled my jimmies, which was pretty much everything, but this thing in particular, was how they didn't want just one protagonist. Great, now we get every character that we have to follow just to make the plot convoluted and constantly going back and forth between characters. There is a reason protagonists exist, because they allow you to focus the plot. Besides having a tonne of characters is what everyone already does, just go on Netflix, most of the newer shows do this... probably because they are incompetent noobs who think that they are clever.

Senator

They can have all the Dinosaurs in the Galaxy, as long as they don`t bring Gungans.

If I remember correctly, in the EU were some kind of Saurians, I think during the Black Fleet Crisis, after the defeat of the reborn Emperor.

Patrician

They have all sorts of dinosaur creatures in Star Wars. The Varactyl that Obi-wan was riding in Revenge of the Sith was really cool.

I am quite happy with Rosario Dawson as Ashoka. She is a good actress. Why do you think she doesn't fit Ashoka? Apparently there is a massive idiotic scandal with her anyway because there is some civil suit that she has with a trans person and the PC crowd is up in arms. Apparently even some Lucas arts authors which initially embraced her are now calling for her replacement. It's pathetic.

Pretty much all of the good EU writers except Zahn and Luceno are gone in the New Canon. There is just a bunch of bad authors like Chuck Wendig or Rae Carson, whoever they are, writing some terrible books that i will never read (they got terrible reviews). We will probably never get to read a quality Star Wars novel from established EU authors such as Mattthew Stover or Michael A Stackpole.

Speaking of JEdi Academy we already have a badass dinosaur guy in there

Desann himself

Last edited by Wallachian; March 27, 2020 at 05:23 AM.

Patrician

I'm indifferent to Rosario Dawson. But of all the people to play Ashoka why her? Just seems like a random casting choice.

All the writers they have suck nuts. If I were Zahn I would rather quit, better for my material to be "non-canon" than have it be part of some new sub-par brand.

Also the Darth Vader comics keep disappointing me. It is like the writers don't know who Darth Vader is, Darth Vader is not meant to be a sympathetic villain. For some reason they keep putting him in scenarios that make him a sympathetic protagonist. NO! Darth Vader should be a badass villain, the only real sympathy we need comes from Return of the Jedi.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; March 27, 2020 at 08:13 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Jedi: Fallen order spoiler below

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Speaking of Vader being a badass villain, I just finished the game yesterday. Hefty Rouge One end scene vibes there
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Also the Darth Vader comics keep disappointing me. It is like the writers don't know who Darth Vader is, Darth Vader is not meant to be a sympathetic villain. For some reason they keep putting him in scenarios that make him a sympathetic protagonist. NO! Darth Vader should be a badass villain, the only real sympathy we need comes from Retur
    I dont know i think they have some good stuff in there. Im not sure what are you referring in particular, that would make in sympathetic.

But I liked the one where he kills a creepy fan girl stalker nurse.

Rosario Dawnson plays funny action girls and she's never shied away from grit which is more common in The Mandolorian. Seems like a pretty easy fit to me, it'll take so much makeup and prosthetic to make her alien her general appearance doesn't seem relevant.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ashoka was created by Dave Filoni, Lucas just approved it. For all of his faults Filoni has done more to save and integrate old EU concepts into modern Star Wars than anyone else. So for that I am very glad as a big EU fan.

I am very hyped about Ashoka appearing in the Mandalorian. Although to be honest I would have preferred if she died in rebels. It's just such a huge hole the fact that she is never mentioned in Ep III and IV-VI and that she is still around albeit in hiding or whatever. Same with Ezra.

I wouldn't have minded the High Republic thing if it wasn't for the brain storm board that we could see in the video.

Diversity is included twice and for some reason it says 'not pro war'. What does that even mean? First of all, it is called Star Wars (yes there is a war in the stars) and second of all it was never pro war, many times it shows the horrible side of war. So it seems to be they are starting the story writing from an ideological point of view instead of an actual fun and insteresting story. This has alarm bells ringing all over.

Also, this whole story by committee is the most horrible thing in modern day media. We bag out George Lucas, but we are lucky that back in the day you could have one person come up with an original idea and create something new. Nowadays all of that is gone. And it's sad.
    Out of context the double diversity might not make sense but the categories are different. The first one could easily mean telling a variety of stories or utilizing a variety of settings beyond the like 13 planets we normally see all the time like Naboo or Geonosis. The second one does seem to blatantly mean ethnic/cultural/racial representation and whatnot.

As for not Pro-War? They said the aim of the era was to show the Jedi at the height of their power which would mean a more prosperous galaxy as that's their whole shtick. I think the big thing is we're not going to see a galactic scale conflict for this Era they're aiming for. Based off the other notes this Era will be a collection of smaller scale stories instead of major conflicts like the Rebellion, Clone Wars, Thrawn, Yuuzhan Vong, etc. They do list Arthurian Legend as a motivator and Arthurian Legend is actually less about Arthur and more about the dozens of characters involved in his court and their enemies. So adventure stories instead of war stories.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post

Why Rosario Dawson to play Ashoka? Of the dozens of actresses to play Ashoka, why did they choose Rosario Dawson? Was she the only actor that could faithfully portray the character or something? When someone thinks of Ashoka was their immediate connection to Rosario Dawson? Just such a strange choice.
    What? It was a very good choice! From the pics I've seen of her face, Rosario Dawson has facial structure that is similar in Ashoka on Clone Wars
    Last edited by alhoon; March 29, 2020 at 07:28 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Yeah not sure why the hate on Rosario, she really is a good choice. She has played in several action flicks and also is a good actress.

@Kamos. I am all for in-universe racial and planetary diversity. I want to see weird and interesting aliens, races and planets. I just don't want to see the politically motivated enforced ethnic representation.

A good example of this enforced representation is the forced addition of females in the Imperial military. In the old EU the Empire was pretty much Nazi Germany and there were very few females in the command structure. That is why the few female Imperials like Ysanne Isard or Admiral Daala were absolutely badass. Like Admiral Daala was the first female to become Imperial admiral and she eventually became the leader of the Galactic Alliance. By contrast the Rebel Alliance always had lots of female leaders, the first of which being of course Mon Mothma and Princess Leia. But now, in the new EU we have literally tonnes of random Imperial female commanders all over the place and this lessens the evilness of the Empire.

What? It was a very good choice! From the pics I've seen of her face, Rosario Dawson has facial structure that is similar in Ashoka on Clone Wars
    I think it was a wise casting, regarding Ashoka. I dont really understand the hate people have now for Rosario.
    Is it was because she and her Husband had an altercation with someone in the Alphabet people? If so that is silly.

I think she is a decent actress, seen her on Daredevil by far the best of Marvel Netflix shows, she also has done some voice acting for DC.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I think she is a decent actress, seen her on Daredevil by far the best of Marvel Netflix shows, she also has done some voice acting for DC.
    I have heard she has participated in some films too.