Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Yeah but some of the best stuff in the Expanded Universe came out between 2002 and 2008. TCW retconned so much of it and all of the new material was average at best, if not complete garbage. Remember Abeloth? No I don't want to remember... that story was dumb. Remember the Jaina books? No wait they never got made... Remember all of the other stuff they promised? Me neither, because TCW got rid of it.

I don't like Midichlorians either but Ghosts of Mortis was not the way to solve that. Maybe people think that Ghosts of Mortis was cool, but as a story device they are as bad, maybe even worse than Midichlorians. The concept of Ghosts of Mortis makes no sense and leads to more questions, they don't answer any questions. Now 10 years later they have never explained Ghosts of Mortis coherently. So there are Force Gods now? That is what we are going with? We can't have canon Sith ghosts but we can have Force Gods? The Force as a concept never required the use of gods. This is what I should have expected from George "I don't want gobbledeeguk in my story" Lucas. Proceeds to write gobbledeeguk.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Abeloth was introduced by the EU in the Fate of the Jedi, it had nothing to do with the TCW. And TCW didn't get rid of any Jaina books. What are you referring to. The only thing TCW wiped out was the Republic Commando books.

There has always been all manner of Force entities from the Ghosts of Mortis to the actual force ghosts and the Sith spirits and I am sure there will be a lot more in the future.

Patrician

Abeloth was a tie in to the Ghosts of Mortis arc. In fact Abeloth is referred to as "the Mother" and is part of "The Ones". Abeloth was introduced in 2009/10 which is concurrent with TCW and part of TCW canon.

George Lucas prioritized TCW and cancelled the Jaina Solo series. As well as a tonne of other things. This isn't directly the fault of TCW but it is the fault of George restructuring Lucasfilm and Star Wars canon in favor of TCW. TCW retconned other stuff as well. Not just Republic Commandos but also Gendy's Clone Wars, the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics, multiple Prequel tie in novels such as Labyrinth of Evil etc etc.

I am down with Force Ghosts and Sith Spirits. But actual Force entities and Force Gods are a terrible idea. George is basically creating the god like entities from Elric or Elder Scrolls at this point. From the stand point of Star Wars, it is as bad as Midichlorians. The Force doesn't require gods or struggles between godlike entities to balance the Force. George doesn't even understand his own material. He just keeps throwing on layers to his own concept that don't really go together, or aren't well thought out.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 09, 2020 at 01:16 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Abeloth was a tie in to the Ghosts of Mortis arc. In fact Abeloth is referred to as "the Mother" and is part of "The Ones". Abeloth was introduced in 2009/10 which is concurrent with TCW and part of TCW canon.
    The tie in was done by the EU to try and tie to the Ghosts of Mortis arc. Not the other way around. TCW and George Lucas had nothing to do with Abeloth and most likely hasn't even heard of it. Abeloth was never G-Canon and never considered part of the Ones outside of the EU.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

What i used to like the most from the expanded universe, was the old republic era. It was part of EU right? On one hand i would like to see something done about that period, but on the other hand maybe its best for Disney not to touch it. I mean im not even sure anymore if Koribban is now renamed and why. Still it would be pretty awesome to see some sith-jedi wars. I mean that red sith race, purebloods from SWTOR. Starting with the story of Marka Ragnos...

Korriban was renamed to Moraband by George Lucas because he thought it sounded too much like Coruscant. So bloody dumb, it's ridiculous.

Yeah the Old Republic stuff was the best, the KOTOR games, the KOTOR comic books (both the old ones, Tales of the Jedi and the new ones with the Mandalorian wars) and the TOR novels. And yes it was EU. Pretty much anything Star Wars pre 2014 which was not in the 6 movies or TCW was EU. And there is so much untapped material there. As you said we never had massive Jedi-Sith wars on screen and i think it would make for some pretty epic cinema if done right.

This new High Republic sounds pretty boring because there are lots of Jedi but no Sith. So the Jedi just fight space pirates and some weird sects. Not that interesting at all to be honest.

Moraband, yeah that was it. We live in some ridiculous times. Who knows maybe one day some CEOs will decide that the name Star Wars is too aggressive and we end up with Star Adventures or some .

Patrician

That is the issue. They were inserting things in the Expanded Universe from TCW. Concepts like Abeloth and The Ones were just dumb to begin with. The Expanded Universe was always downstream from Canon. I don't know that George was entirely aware of what was going on but the Expanded Universe material was always managed by someone at the top. There were actual people in charge of what could go into the Expanded Universe and what couldn't. George distanced himself from the Expanded Universe but he wasn't oblivious to it. Ultimately the people making these decisions worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Korriban was renamed to Moraband by George Lucas because he thought it sounded too much like Coruscant. So bloody dumb, it's ridiculous.

Yeah the Old Republic stuff was the best, the KOTOR games, the KOTOR comic books (both the old ones, Tales of the Jedi and the new ones with the Mandalorian wars) and the TOR novels. And yes it was EU. Pretty much anything Star Wars pre 2014 which was not in the 6 movies or TCW was EU. And there is so much untapped material there. As you said we never had massive Jedi-Sith wars on screen and i think it would make for some pretty epic cinema if done right.

This new High Republic sounds pretty boring because there are lots of Jedi but no Sith. So the Jedi just fight space pirates and some weird sects. Not that interesting at all to be honest.
    Both names still apply though. One is the ancient name, and the other is the more modern name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    That is the issue. They were inserting things in the Expanded Universe from TCW. Concepts like Abeloth and The Ones were just dumb to begin with. The Expanded Universe was always downstream from Canon. I don't know that George was entirely aware of what was going on but the Expanded Universe material was always managed by someone at the top. There were actual people in charge of what could go into the Expanded Universe and what couldn't. George distanced himself from the Expanded Universe but he wasn't oblivious to it. Ultimately the people making these decisions worked for him.
    No, as I mentioned Abeloth was not from TCW. Abeloth was introduced in 2009 in the Fate of the Jedi and was purely an EU character with no other connection.

Than in 2011 the Ghosts of Mortis arc aired and introduced the Ones. So the EU thought it was a good idea to link Abeloth to the ones and say she was related to them so they retconned the relation.

But yes George had no idea about the EU stuff and didn't really care. Like that story when he wanted Darth Maul to be friends with legacy era Sith Darth Talon even though they lived 100 years apart.

Would it be possible to implant the whole EU into a different franchise, or create a new one for that purpose? So that its no longer part of the SW? Im wondering.

A new animated TV show called 'The Bad Batch' by Dave Filoni just got announced for 2021. The show will follow the story of the Bad Batch clones after Order 66. Very very excited for this!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/13/2...sney-plus-2021

@Vladyvid. I doubt Disney would want any other Star Wars material not under its licence. They want to keep it all under their control and don't want to create competition for their new 'canon'. If they released more EU it would confuse new Star Wars fans.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to this new tv show. I have faith in Filoni to be honest
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

A new animated TV show called 'The Bad Batch' by Dave Filoni just got announced for 2021. The show will follow the story of the Bad Batch clones after Order 66. Very very excited for this!
    I actually love the idea. Im pretty sure we are going to learn what become of them, up until and after the order 66.

Apparently the show will focus on their adventures as mercenaries in the post Order 66 period. But I am sure it will show us what they do during Order 66.

I am curios to see if we will see Ashoka at all (probably as a cameo) and also if they bump into Rex and the other clones. Also, if they had the inhibitor chip and they did or didn't execute Order 66.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

How did Rex resist order 66?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

So, do i get it right, the Kaminoans created a faulty batch of clone troopers? Isnt that "a little bit" far fetched? Expert cloners and a bad batch? Or am i missing something and the Kaminoans were not very expert at all? Besides, clones are all the same, how can there be a "bad batch" if they are all of the same genetic material, they would all be a bad batch or not in my understanding. For me its not a good idea, because in my opinion there wouldnt be any bad batches cause the Kaminoans would have not provided such.

I mean come on, it took 10 years to grow and train a clone, more than enough to weed out any defective ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    How did Rex resist order 66?
    It's in the last season of Clone Wars. I will put it in a spoiler

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

He doesn't resist. He tries to kill Ashoka but she manages to knock him unconscious and take him to a medbay where she removed his inhibitor chip.

@Vladyvid. Well there was a faulty clone from the very first season of Clone Wars, that hunchback clone 99.

I don't have an issue with the existence of faulty clones. This sort of stuff happens, there are always some accidents when you are dealing with millions and millions of samples. In the end it's just a narrative device to have more varied and weird clones and it's Star Wars so anything can happen.
    Last edited by Wallachian; July 15, 2020 at 09:27 AM.

Patrician

I remember when Order 66 wasn't caused by brain chips and just happened because the Clones were following orders.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Good soldiers follow orders.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman