Page 16 of 291 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166116 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wait since when is death to grown up for children? Or it seems to me like some of you are making that argument. And what the hell are children? 1-5?5-10?5-12?
    Believe me kids around 10 barely note death of side characters as a thing anymore, and when major characters meet their deaths well they should mean something damn it! That's what made Lion King, Tarzan, The Land Before Time and others stand out to me and other kids...

Today children are more informed and arguably grow up faster(in some regards), I really don't see why would they have any problems with much of the shows named in the previous posts except GoT. So what if storm troopers die? I don't really see how does this affect children in any way, the ones who don't understand what death is don't pay attention and the ones who do are also most likely to ignore it, because WHO THE CARES ABOUT THE MINDLESS STORM TROOPERS ???

Me, my brother and all of our friends watched a lot of movies that are pg-13 or R-Rated before the appropriate age, yet nothings is or has been wrong with us.

I personally would trust my own child to determine when is it to gruesome to watch, I just don't see a better parameter. As a kid I had a pretty good Idea what I want to see and what I don't want to see.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; October 04, 2014 at 04:41 PM.

I just watched it, actualy it kinda of suprised me in how solid the premiere was, also quite funny at times ( Steve Blum pretending doing a wookie voice win it for me for some reason .)
    I thought they managed to capture the tone of the original trilogy without making it too “kid friendly”. The voice acting was pretty solid, the only one I’m really worried about is Ezra. Although, I thought he got better throughout the episode.
    It's Disney alright, they recycled Aladdin.

The Empire lackeys seem more intelligent and have a sense of humour.
    Aladdin in what way? you mean for being a thief? I mean i dont remember very well Aladdin, but im guessing that is what you saying. That and his hair? Unless Sabine turns out to be royalty, a princess of mandalore or something.... sabine rhyms with Satine, maybe they are related, or is just a comon mandalorian name... wich makes kanan the lamp genie, and the inquisitor jafar... lol, i dont belive i remember this stuff... dam you condottiere.

I dont know for me just tickled my nostalgia of the original triology instead. Rural poor boy encounters jedi, or people with a mission, got traped in a star destroyed instead of the death star, they escape, also there was the cell scenes wich remind me a bit of the cells on the new hope, the scenes in their ship as well, reminiscent of the milenium falcom etc.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well that was well and truly .

This show has issues, big ones.

First, none of the characters are even remotely likable. Aladdin and that Jedi guy both just came across as obnoxious and annoying. The big dude repeated one line like thirty times and the rest hardly got any exposition. I suppose the flychick and the Mandalore chick could develop into something worthwhile, but with two main characters as hopeless as those it probably wont matter.

Secondly, the bad guys, What the flying happened to the bad guys? Stormtroopers hit their lowest low yet, they are about as effective and intelligent as battle droids from Clone Wars, actually less, the battle droids managed to kill a Clone once in a while, after 40 minutes of continued exposition, the Stormtroopers have yet to do achieve anything even remotely worthwhile at all. Two of them fire at point blank range at someone standing in a doorway and talking for a full 30 seconds. jesus. The Agent dude is apparently a new grievous just even less competent.

Then the tone is just not right. I never felt there was any danger at all, just a happy-go-along of the heroes playing and cracking jokes in situations where they all should have been ing dead. It reminded me of the Aladdin TV show. Much the same tone, just that it fits in frikin magic land of Agrebra and not in dystopian sci-fi Star Wars.

Man I just wanted something like Clone Wars, which had its fair share of sins but at least had a lot of interesting characters and story arcs. A lot of stupid episodes, but a lot of good ones too. It rarely got this low though. (The robots-trapped-in-desert-with-talking-toad-general three parter comes to mind) Then again, this is Disney Channel, goofy kids stuff is to be expected. I really just wanted another Clone Wars which had flashes of greatness. This is not it.

At least the visuals look nice. Animations were so-so. Some very clunky running.
    Last edited by Påsan; October 04, 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Okay, now I really have to go and see what the hell is going on.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

One problem seems to be that they want to move the plot along, whereas the more ideal story would slowly allow all the elements to fall into place, rather than force feed us the enormous coincidence of that that endangered species, Jedi Knight, has a potential padawan drop in on him.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I remember the first episodes of clones wars were terrible, couldnt stand Asoka, or the droids, o Anakin to be honest... i think this in comparisson is better.
    The question is, will it become better in time, just like clone wars?

Patrician

Personally I didn't start liking Clone Wars until Season 2 mostly. Even then it went sort of on and off for the rest of the show. Some arcs were just boring and others happened to be great, by some strange supernatural anomaly.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Clone Wars had to grow on you.

Apparently there's something called The New Yoda Chronicles made by Lego. Saw episode three of the second season and it's very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Well that was well and truly .

This show has issues, big ones.

First, none of the characters are even remotely likable. Aladdin and that Jedi guy both just came across as obnoxious and annoying. The big dude repeated one line like thirty times and the rest hardly got any exposition. I suppose the flychick and the Mandalore chick could develop into something worthwhile, but with two main characters as hopeless as those it probably wont matter.
    Well, 23 minutes of showtime. You got an hour long special for a pilot. Best you ever get is characters get a development episode. What were you expecting? There are reasons I was skeptical when they brought on a 15 year old thief.

Then the tone is just not right. I never felt there was any danger at all, just a happy-go-along of the heroes playing and cracking jokes in situations where they all should have been ing dead. It reminded me of the Aladdin TV show. Much the same tone, just that it fits in frikin magic land of Agrebra and not in dystopian sci-fi Star Wars.

Man I just wanted something like Clone Wars, which had its fair share of sins but at least had a lot of interesting characters and story arcs. A lot of stupid episodes, but a lot of good ones too. It rarely got this low though. (The robots-trapped-in-desert-with-talking-toad-general three parter comes to mind) Then again, this is Disney Channel, goofy kids stuff is to be expected. I really just wanted another Clone Wars which had flashes of greatness. This is not it.
    They're a smuggling crew. Not an army brigade during a war. You want the latter go watch Clone Wars again. Seriously. I mean, I haven't even watched the episode, wasn't going to until there was something to bingewatch and then see if it was worth taking into the second season, but you really have to throw the right complaints at this thing. "I want something like the Clone Wars" when they're flying as a freighter fifteen years after the Clone Wars and five years before A New Hope as smugglers is not the way to go.

Of course, now that I think about it, a cool Clone Wars show would be without any Jedi, and just a brigade...hmmm...

And to think I was getting criticized in the other thread about shows having to get their feet under them. Happens, well...everywhere. Of course, pilots are written without writers seeing actors do voice acting or animation, you know...things usually get better when they see things in action and get ideas. But what do I know. Been watching TV for decades and seen every show do better than its pilot as that's just written to convince producers to film...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

I agree that Clone Wars was not stellar first season either, the problem here is that Clone Wars could draw from a huge cast of characters from the prequels and also bring in new ones to interact with the movie characters. Also maybe its greatest achievement was it brought identity on the clones which were faceless goons in the movies. So it appealed to me. It more than anything else got me interested in the Star Wars world.

This new show is getting praise for being very close to the Original Trilogy, which was indeed full of lulzy, surreal and goofy moments. I'm honestly not a great fan of the Original Trilogy, I liked it when I was 10, I do not like it now so much. I see it as a great hallmark in the Sci-Fi genre, but the aforementioned lulzy, surreal and goofy moments kind of ruins the experience. That and the 80's acting and outdated cinematography. And crappy extras. And Ewoks. Especially Ewoks.

So yeah maybe the show will grow into something good. but from the looks of it, it does not seem to be my cup of tea either way.
    Last edited by Påsan; October 05, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

flota's Avatar Tiro

I read that Disney could make 3 movies about Obi Wan, if they do hope they stick with McGregor
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Patrician

I agree. Ewan McGregor was the best actor they had, together with Ian McDirmid. I think outside of the obvious issues with those films he still did his role excellently.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well both did pretty good but had some cringeworthy moments too. For Ian it was the scenes where he converts Anakin and for Obi-Wan the reaction to Anakin turning was a bit.. simple.

I'd say Christopher Lee was the best actor included, he even got away with changing a bit of dialogue which kind of shows how much respect George Lucas had for him. It was first intended that Dooku would beg for his life before being beheaded but Christopher Lee thought this was out of character.
    A shame his role was so small.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Well both did pretty good but had some cringeworthy moments too. For Ian it was the scenes where he converts Anakin and for Obi-Wan the reaction to Anakin turning was a bit.. simple.

I'd say Christopher Lee was the best actor included, he even got away with changing a bit of dialogue which kind of shows how much respect George Lucas had for him. It was first intended that Dooku would beg for his life before being beheaded but Christopher Lee thought this was out of character.
    A shame his role was so small.
    Well to be honest as good of an actor he is he is very old and i'm sure a major role in the films would be very taxing on him. Like he has to walk with a cane for example. He is very much his age.

However it would of been cool if they could CGI him like Yoda and have him do voice acting but that kind of inhibits his skills as an actor.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

He was still a bit younger back then, it was around the time of the LOTR movies where he did have a larger role.

For most of the fighting a stunt double was used in star wars, in EPIII I believe they even managed to digitally put his face on the stunt double. But he did do some of the fighting himself, likely the parts where he speaks during the fight.
    Some more scenes of him talking could have worked just fine, he was in three battles after all.

I can live with him dying rather early in epIII, but they could have made his role in epII bigger. Appearing earlier and through the entire movie. Would have been even better if he died later in epIII of course.

Citizen

Yeah a big part of the problem with he prequels are the underutilized villains. I think Star Wars need strong villain characters in general, and while the Originals had Vader and Palpatine, the Prequels have Maul who appears and dies towards the last half an hour of Menace, then Dukou towards the last part of Clone Wars and then Palpatine finally turns towards the end of Revenge.

There's no overall strong Villain character, and Palpatine does not fill this role. I feel both Maul and Dokou should have been used much more.

What i funny about Dukou is that Lee was basically just reprising his role as Saruman
    Last edited by Påsan; October 08, 2014 at 08:59 AM.

Lucas obviously saw the last two episodes as a vehicle to explain Anakin's fall from grace.

Latest episode of Rebels has three cameos, and the plot was unbelievable. Also, Stormtroopers have again reached the pinnacle of their incredible marksmanship.

Patrician

^what do you mean? Unbelievably stupid or....

Very hard to dispense with my sense of disbelief and immerse myself in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Yeah a big part of the problem with he prequels are the underutilized villains. I think Star Wars need strong villain characters in general, and while the Originals had Vader and Palpatine, the Prequels have Maul who appears and dies towards the last half an hour of Menace, then Dukou towards the last part of Clone Wars and then Palpatine finally turns towards the end of Revenge.

There's no overall strong Villain character, and Palpatine does not fill this role. I feel both Maul and Dokou should have been used much more.
    Very true yes. In the original trilogy the villains where featured very strongly. We got to see their meetings and some of their plans but there was still room for surprises. The prequels dont really have that despite great villains being made.

Both Maul and Dooku had a lot of potential, especially Dooku. Maul's death was just a bit silly since he had the upper hand and was just making sparks fly. He just stood there and let himself be killed when Obi-Wan jumped out too.
    A better ending to that fight could have been him pushing Obi-Wan in that pit and walking away, presuming Obi-Wan died. Afterwards he could escape the planet as the battle is lost.

In episode 2 and 3, Maul and Dooku could be the mayor villains, with Palpatine being the puppeteer behind them. Dooku being more an ally than an official apprentice. Perhaps they could even have Dooku and Maul plot together against Palpatine but fail. No need for grievious at all, that was a useless villain.