Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    What do we learn from the general summary of The Last Jedi?

Event Driven Story is better for Star Wars, than Character Driven. This movie literally demonstrates it scene by scene.

And I'll Fight people over it.
    Sure dude. I'm up.

Character vs plot driven stories happens in the writers room, when the stories are developed. It's the approach HOW it's being done.

A typical way to tell the two apart is also whether or not those plot lines make sense from the character perspective, or if they wound up where they need to because the plot needs them to. Without even having watched that movie but knowing too much of that plot, I can tell you with an extreme degree of certainty that it's not character driven, in spite of all the "gotcha" moments and subverted expectations.

You're probably next going to tell me that you meant something different with character driven. In which case my reply will be: It's still been done badly. Something done poorly not working out isn't proof that it can't work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Anyways I've been watching Auralnauts' Star Wars Episodes 1-6 redub and they're pretty amazing.
    They completely change all of the characters (eg turning midichlorians into heroin and the Jedi into stoners) and craft a great overarching plot.

Have you guys seen any of the episodes?
    I have they are hilarious. They also have Kylo Ren doing reactions and reviews on Star wars Trailers and movies

BtW do you also know the Techno Union?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Sure dude. I'm up.

Character vs plot driven stories happens in the writers room, when the stories are developed. It's the approach HOW it's being done.

A typical way to tell the two apart is also whether or not those plot lines make sense from the character perspective, or if they wound up where they need to because the plot needs them to. Without even having watched that movie but knowing too much of that plot, I can tell you with an extreme degree of certainty that it's not character driven, in spite of all the "gotcha" moments and subverted expectations.

You're probably next going to tell me that you meant something different with character driven. In which case my reply will be: It's still been done badly. Something done poorly not working out isn't proof that it can't work at all.
    Go watch First Blood if you want good character driven action. Hell, if you want to stick with science fiction go read the Commonwealth Duology by Peter F. Hamilton. Point is, the world and technology are well defined and he lets the characters drive the story and he knows what's going on behind the scenes even if we as the readers don't.

Course, everybody who has a problem with the tactics the fleet are forced into in TLJ should really also have a problem with the neoBSG episode '33', one of the finest pieces of science fiction action written in history, loved when aired, and still loved to this day, but...you know...that's neither here nor there.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 18, 2019 at 05:07 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Go watch First Blood if you want good character driven action. Hell, if you want to stick with science fiction go read the Commonwealth Duology by Peter F. Hamilton. Point is, the world and technology are well defined and he lets the characters drive the story and he knows what's going on behind the scenes even if we as the readers don't.
    Star Wars had an established world and technology, it is just Rian ignored the established technology and technology throughout The Last Jedi whenever he felt like, and instead of having the action being driven organically by the characters and the technology, he kept pulling rabbits out of his hat. Luke light saber battle uses a miraculous force ghost teleporting ability never displayed in all previous 8 movies was one kd many such examples.

Course, everybody who has a problem with the tactics the fleet are forced into in TLJ should really also have a problem with the neoBSG episode '33', one of the finest pieces of science fiction action written in history, loved when aired, and still loved to this day, but...you know...that's neither here nor there.
    Why is that? Where in the Battle Star Galactica episode 33 did they go against the technology in the other 32 episodes simply so they could set up a tactic situation? Where did the Bay Star commander patiently wait avoid delaying destroying the Colonial fleet which would ended thd conflict so he could get a message related by a line Colonial Viper from someone he planned to unconditional my destroy anyways in just a few minutes?

Where in episode 33 did a lone Viper knock out all the defensive guns on a Bay Star so it could be attacked by a fleet of Colonial bombers while the rest of the Cylon fleet stands arounds and does absolutely nothing while watching their Bay Star get blown up. Oh, and instead of sending in Vipers to protect the Colonial ships, they allow the Cylon raiders to destroy all the Colonial ships. I must have missed all that in episode 33.

Seriously, what is it episode 33 that is even close to being as bad as TLJ? What specific elements compare?

You keep defending TLJ, but why? Why do you think it is such a great movie? And don't give "it defied fans expectations" pat answer, because that is not an answer but an excuse. I could have had Leia turn into a vampire, which would also have defied can:s expectations too.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; September 19, 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Mandalorian.

Pretty good. And that banger at the end of ep1.... oooooo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Why is that? Where in the Battle Star Galactica episode 33 did they go against the technology in the other 32 episodes simply so they could set up a tactic situation?....
    Well then...that's as interesting a take on the episode 33 as I've ever seen.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    The Mandalorian.

Pretty good. And that banger at the end of ep1.... oooooo.....
    Big fight wasn't bad. I had not known that ex-stormtroopers were so diverse though. The ending got me a bit worried TBH.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Looked too much like they're setting him for the old "guy starts to care" thing, like Solo in original trilogy. I was hoping for something more...grey.

Overall, not bad, but could do with a little bit less cliche.

Anybody heard of what to expect from Ep IX?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Talking of Ster Wers, the Mandalorian is soooooooooooo bad. The final fight scene was just a rip-off of The Wild Bunch.
    The entire episode just jumped around so much, and no plot was laid out. The sole characterisation that occured was...
    The mando's have lost all their dank armour, our fella is an orphan, and that's presumably what makes him feel sorry for Yoda's illicit love child

MEANS I'LL LIKE IT.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Talking of Ster Wers, the Mandalorian is soooooooooooo bad. The final fight scene was just a rip-off of The Wild Bunch.
    The entire episode just jumped around so much, and no plot was laid out. The sole characterisation that occured was...
    The mando's have lost all their dank armour, our fella is an orphan, and that's presumably what makes him feel sorry for Yoda's illicit love child
    Im of different opinion on the Mandalorian. I do find the new Trilogy terrible. But i do think Disney as done good with the Mandalorian, so far anyway.

Influence of westerns and Old Samurai movies is all over, which is what i dig. Did enjoyed the second episode, and the reference to Shogun Assassin.

Him walking around and doing stuff with the baby..

Had a rather fun time with the first episode. Looking forward to the rest.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

someone needs to stop disney

https://www.gq.com/story/werner-herzog-baby-yoda

nobody should control such power

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    someone needs to stop disney

https://www.gq.com/story/werner-herzog-baby-yoda

nobody should control such power

Damn straight. Nobody should be allowed to learn from their errors and do their job right.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

just finished Fallen Order. Respawn made a precious little gem. Im surprised EA let them. I wonder if they will continue to let them.

The story, is ok, nothing really amazing. Acting is great. The music is superb. But where this little game really shines is the gameplay, combat in specific. It is probably the Star Wars video game with best combat implemented. Loved it.
    If you haven't tried yet, totally recommend it.

Here is a excellent review.

Also hilarious play trough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post

Overall, not bad, but could do with a little bit less cliche.
    Star Wars was built on a big old dollop of cliche with added tropes, a pinch of twee and a nice drippy scoop of schmaltz. After EP 2 I'm thinking it's closer to grizzled but good hearted old pro gets goofy with young cute side kick. It's a kids show. Looks great though and if it's funny I can live with it.

Utini!

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Star Wars was built on a big old dollop of cliche with added tropes, a pinch of twee and a nice drippy scoop of schmaltz. After EP 2 I'm thinking it's closer to grizzled but good hearted old pro gets goofy with young cute side kick. It's a kids show. Looks great though and if it's funny I can live with it.

Utini!
    nonono, it was always serious buisness and exactly how i remember it!

ugh, i hope the new LOTR series on Amazon isnt full of fantasy clichees. surely, they wouldnt dare to besmirch the legacy of lucas... i mean tolkien.

sorry, what was i talking about?

Blog Entries

Ep 3.

If you thought mini Yoda and 'I have spoken' were going to be the end of the instantly smile inducing elements of the show, Disney would like you to hold their beer. We get some deeper knowledge of the Mandalorian's and more gun play. The humour/cutes is toned down a notch from last weeks episode as the story moves on but, there's still enough to keep the kids happy.....

Starting to look like Disney should just hand the Star Wars universe to Faverau and Filoni, they seem to have hit their stride...

ugh, i hope the new LOTR series on Amazon isnt full of fantasy clichees. surely, they wouldnt dare to besmirch the legacy of lucas... i mean tolkien.
    I love LoTR as much as the next red blooded sports fan, but it's as camp as a scout jamboree. The show is in pre-production though so news could start to filter out by Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post

sorry, what was i talking about?
    Well, as far as writers taking inspiration, yea, LOTR is full of fantasy cliches, but mostly because LOTR invented them. If there's any one show that's going to be full of tropes, it's going to be the LOTR show. Just not for the reason people think.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

i mean, thats the joke....