Page 6 of 291 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Phantom Menace: $1,027,044,677
    People were only drawn in by the legacy of the previous trilogy
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Some people can say the prequels were failures... failed what?

Phantom Menace: $1,027,044,677
    Attack of the Clones: $649,398,328
    Revenge of the Sith: $848,754,768

That's $2,525,197,773 !!!
    I'm not even counting all of the toys, video games, posters, shirts and cartoons. Probably comes down to twice as much.
    I think most of those people are actually aware that the prequel trilogy made money. But as you can see critics and fans can make a dent in movies.

Phantom Menace earned big on the hype, Attack of the clones struggled and Revenge Of the Sith got it back on it's legs because it widely regarded as the best of the prequel trilogy.

Hell I remember that as a kid Revenge of the Sith trailer got me hyped waaaay more then any other SW commercial.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I realize that Phantom Menace's success was due to parasitism of the previous films. Compare that to Star Wars 2 and it had considerably less.
    What I am saying is that it is probably the most money of any franchise. The prequels were never needed and Lucas only made them to get money, which he was evidently very successful.

Hell it was the same hype that got me out to watch Revenge of the Sith.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Hell I remember that as a kid Revenge of the Sith trailer got me hyped waaaay more then any other SW commercial.
    That's because of the fan service: Palpatine's outcoming, Anakin turns to Darth Vader, rise of the empire
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    That's because of the fan service: Palpatine's outcoming, Anakin turns to Darth Vader, rise of the empire
    revenge of the sith was basically what I wish all three prequels would have been. They should have started the first movie with the clone war and gone from there. too much space in between movies. Most people wanted to see the clone war in the movies like was promised but instead we got an adolescent cartoon show. (its not bad just not my cup of tea and I prefer live action if possible)

You can still watch Star Wars for the special effects, fully aware how cheesy and/or crappy the acting and story were.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    revenge of the sith was basically what I wish all three prequels would have been. They should have started the first movie with the clone war and gone from there. too much space in between movies. Most people wanted to see the clone war in the movies like was promised but instead we got an adolescent cartoon show. (its not bad just not my cup of tea and I prefer live action if possible)
    I find amusing that Anakin is able to be more mature in the cartoon show like The clone wars, then he was in the movies, and in revenge of the sith.
    Honestly, i cannot make my sefl to watch revenge of the sith again, or any of the prequels, dont know why.. its not like i hate them, its just they are just mediocre movies all arround.
    Empire strikes back on the other hand it never gets old... even return of the jedi, if not for the Ewoks.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    You can still watch Star Wars for the special effects, fully aware how cheesy and/or crappy the acting and story were.
    The special effects in the prequels are mediocre as well. They were grand at their time but in comparison didn't age well at all.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The special effects in the prequels are mediocre as well. They were grand at their time but in comparison didn't age well at all.
    Episode I looks dated, but II & III are still cracking, even a decade later. The space battle above Coruscant would hold against any effects coming out today.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

^ Agreed.

Say what you want, but if there was no shadow of the original trilogy, and Revenge of the Sith is reviewed on its own, its actually a great movie that is quite underrated. I'd say all of the 3 prequels are underrated, obviously no masterpieces, but they are just as good as episode 6 IMHO... (Well 1 and 2 might be below it, but episode 3 surely just as good or even better. I personally find it ten times better than 6)
    Last edited by Wulfburk; August 07, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Aymer de Valence View Post
    Episode I looks dated, but II & III are still cracking, even a decade later. The space battle above Coruscant would hold against any effects coming out today.
    Not really, it's very video gamey aka fake in feeling. It's not so much a lack of capability but false application of it (gamey looking characters and vehicles plus gamey feeling filters and composites that do not really merge with live action).

James Cameron, Ridley Scott and JJ Abrams make all more stunning visual effects shots (even if I hate their storywriters).
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

The Star Wars prequels at least don't have lens flares in every shot

Episode I JJ Abrams cut
    Last edited by Mayer; August 07, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I find amusing that Anakin is able to be more mature in the cartoon show like The clone wars, then he was in the movies, and in revenge of the sith.
    Honestly, i cannot make my sefl to watch revenge of the sith again, or any of the prequels, dont know why.. its not like i hate them, its just they are just mediocre movies all arround.
    Empire strikes back on the other hand it never gets old... even return of the jedi, if not for the Ewoks.
    I can still watch all of the originals and Empire Strikes Back is still number one!
    Some people complain that New Hope is too slow but even if that is the case the ending makes up for it with the awesome space battle.
    Return of the Jedi also makes up for its killer teddy bears with the awesome Death Star battle and the giant space battle.

Just a show of hands but who actually thinks Attack of the Clones was better than Phantom Menace?
    Personally I thought that Attack of the Clones was one of the worst movies ever. Not only was it bad and boring as but the fighting was certainly a step down. Most boring fights evar.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I personally found AotC more enjoyable, mainly because young Anakin and Jar Jar were so annoying in Episode I
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Just be glad they went Jamaican lizard and didn't go Ewokative koala.

Empire Strikes Back, New Hope, Return of the Jedi, in that order, are my all time favorite movies. Hands down. Don't know what it is, but I watch them, and just love very second of it (except some of the new stuff George put in...). Probably watch them all at least once a month, and I'm the type of guy who will go years in between watching movies again (aside from Drive, and 1 & 3 of Indiana Jones, those I also watch pretty frequently).

Revenge of the Sith, all things considered, is actually a pretty decent movie. It could have been better sure, but over-all I can stand to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    The special effects are not any worse than Farscape, especially the muppet aliens. I actually quite enjoy them. I'm talking original non-cgi effects of course. IMO late 70s-80s special effects were the height of special effects in sci-fi. One of the shows that has my favorite effects from this period is Star Trek 6, like the Excelsior shot when Praxis explodes that is a great scene.

When they introduced CGI effects they would go over the top ridiculous with the action as well as it looking like animation, though the effects are much better today they still can't resist going over the top with the effects. Think of like an anime where some high school kid is fighting another, they will jump like 12 feet int he air to punch someone in the face. That is how CGI effects have been used in big budget movies. The only recent shows I can think of with good restrained effects is like Battlestar Galactica. Star Wars prequel trilogy was certainly part of the over the top cartoonist crowd which is another reason I hate them.

Which goes into why I dislike the prequels. They went over the top with cartoonishness like it was a disney movie already. Ironically disney is going to take the restrained approach more than likely. Though not star wars a perfect example of lucas films cartoonish CGI is the Indiana Jones movie with the groundhog reaction shots like they are cartoon rabbits giving a double take. Scenes like that were every other minute, figuratively, in the Star Wars prequels completely destroying immersion. Jamaican, jew, and asian aliens not even trying to hide it. A 1950s diner in Coruscant complete with Brooklyn accent robots. Every scene with Jar Jar. The kid flying that ship playing adult and accidentally fighting. The droid army acting like cartoon robots, complete with 1980s saturday morning cartoon dialogue, instead of being war machines. Etc. It goes on. These things were subtle in the original trilogy if they were included at all and most of the scenes like that were on Jedi or added in the remaster.

Abrams couldn't resist added things like this to Star Trek but they were more like the original trilogy not shocking you out of the film, they were also gone once approaching the climas where Lucas would just shock you out of the action or serious scene with some cartoon garbage as if it's Excel Saga or something. It make's sense that the Star Wars live action series never came and they decided to just make cartoons as Lucas Film seemed more wanting to make Scooby Doo than Star Wars.
    Last edited by Kanaric; August 08, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Who still watches Scooby Doo? I noticed when I watched an animated movie for curiousity that they tried to introduce humour rather than slapstick, but it's still dated.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Empire Strikes Back, New Hope, Return of the Jedi, in that order, are my all time favorite movies. Hands down. Don't know what it is, but I watch them, and just love very second of it (except some of the new stuff George put in...).
    If you want a proper special edition, check out what this guy is doing: http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/
    otherwise i recommend the original versions without Lucas cgi crap
    Last edited by Mayer; August 08, 2014 at 02:07 AM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    The special effects are not any worse than Farscape, especially the muppet aliens. I actually quite enjoy them. I'm talking original non-cgi effects of course. IMO late 70s-80s special effects were the height of special effects in sci-fi. One of the shows that has my favorite effects from this period is Star Trek 6, like the Excelsior shot when Praxis explodes that is a great scene.

ahem:

We are in agreement then. I think there are plenty of examples of well done CGI in movies, it's just that the new Star Wars movies by George Lucas weren't really one of them despite having tons of it. The man reason actually being that they were without purpose
    Mangalore Design