Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Yeah i read, that. I think they are preparing ground to remove kathleen kennedy from the Lucasfilm position.

Probably Bob Chapek, after the shareholders meeting where he was asked if there is a blacklist for conservatives at Disney relating to the Gina Carano incident.

Next there will be a an article about the finances side of things ( which are horrendous right now for Disney and Lucasfilm.)

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net...o-shareholder/

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Yeah i read, that. I think they are preparing ground to remove kathleen kennedy from the Lucasfilm position.

Probably Bob Chapek, after the shareholders meeting where he was asked if there is a blacklist for conservatives at Disney relating to the Gina Carano incident.

Next there will be a an article about the finances side of things ( which are horrendous right now for Disney and Lucasfilm.)

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net...o-shareholder/
    Second link is sort of nonsensical. Streaming, movie and similar entertainment are doing fine. Its the Parks, Cruse lines and related destinations that are cratering the bottom line.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Second link is sort of nonsensical. Streaming, movie and similar entertainment are doing fine. Its the Parks, Cruse lines and related destinations that are cratering the bottom line.
    Streaming is doing fine, but it isn't enough to support the blockbuster industry or the Giant that is Disney.... And the production of movies that cost 300 million dollars and cost another 200 million to distribute and its marketing. They need those Box office numbers. And has you already sad, the upkeep of the parks and other entertainment venues, is also making a dent.

Streaming is cool, but its not enough for their needs.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 29, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Obi Wan casting is epic!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Obi Wan casting is epic!
    In what? Revenge of the Sith or?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Indefinitely Banned

Obi Wan Kenobi

Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell, and Benny Safdie.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

It looks really good! I'm also quite excited for the Bad Batch.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    In what? Revenge of the Sith or?
    Disney Plus Obi wan TV show.

Indefinitely Banned

100% Bad Batch too. High hopes for the stars wars shows. Mando is so perfect.

Streaming is doing fine, but it isn't enough to support the blockbuster industry or the Giant that is Disney.... And the production of movies that cost 300 million dollars and cost another 200 million to distribute and its marketing. They need those Box office numbers. And has you already sad, the upkeep of the parks and other entertainment venues, is also making a dent.

Streaming is cool, but its not enough for their needs.
    Are you saying that an average of above 400% profit is not enough for the Star Wars movie industry?

Which movies are you watching and are they the same ones I'm tracking?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Indefinitely Banned

Invest in Disney. Trust me. 20 years of investing in Disney has always gone great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Are you saying that an average of above 400% profit is not enough for the Star Wars movie industry?

Which movies are you watching and are they the same ones I'm tracking?
    Im saying they need the theaters and its box office numbers to keep making movies like that, perhaps you missed it but there is a global pandemic killing theaters and the industry, we are walking into an unknown regarding movie industry for the future to be honest. Point being streaming services revenues are not enough to cover for such productions like those movies. Same thing for marvel as far im concerned.

Also 400% profit? do you made those calculations taking in consideration the costs of the marketing for each movie, and distribution, or just the costs of production? Also im pretty sure you are only referring to the force awakens, because the other two made half of what that one made each.

Also lets not forget Solo lost money, so its not like the star wars brand is guaranteed financial success any longer, that time is over for this franchise. Merchandising numbers also have not being great for a long time. There has been a peak now with the Mandalorian stuff, but sequel trilogy merchandising doesn't sell. Even galaxy edge isn't doing great, besides covid, it was a stupid decision to design a star wars theme park based only on the sequel trilogy.

Invest in Disney. Trust me. 20 years of investing in Disney has always gone great for me.
    Personally, ill rather not invest in it.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 15, 2021 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Insulting part removed

Im saying they need the theaters and its box office numbers to keep making movies like that, perhaps you missed it but there is a global pandemic killing theaters and the industry, we are walking into an unknown regarding movie industry for the future to be honest. Point being streaming services revenues are not enough to cover for such productions like those movies. Same thing for marvel as far im concerned.

Also 400% profit? do you made those calculations taking in consideration the costs of the marketing for each movie, and distribution, or just the costs of production? Also im pretty sure you are only referring to the force awakens, because the other two made half of what that one made each.

Also lets not forget Solo lost money, so its not like the star wars brand is guaranteed financial success any longer, that time is over for this franchise. Merchandising numbers also have not being great for a long time. There has been a peak now with the Mandalorian stuff, but sequel trilogy merchandising doesn't sell. Even galaxy edge isn't doing great, besides covid, it was a stupid decision to design a star wars theme park based only on the sequel trilogy.

Personally, ill rather not invest in it.
    You just went straight to money(not quality of film or story). I just went to back of the napkin and underestimate 400% profit which accounts for things they don’t really tell you about. Also I don’t make assumptions about movies they haven’t released during COVID. When, if, that happens I’ll add it to the list.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

It should be noted their next scheduled film is Rogue Squadron in December 2023 and doesn’t have a screenwriter yet. If you think COVID will last that long as an economic event you should stop thinking about Star Wars and start thinking about underground shelters.

Right now during covid and telecommuting Star Wars is smartly focused on TV, Books, and Comics.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

More like accidentally focused. The Sequel trilogy garbage led to them making a good move just before Covid hit. As for books it doesn't seem like anyone is read them.

I would watch Kenobi. But after the painfully uninspiring Mandalorian then this one will probably be very anti-climactic as well. It is almost like they purposely made bad movies knowing that anything that came out after that which was at least average would get eaten up by the starving audience. It is astounding how the Star Wars brand name is able to survive the onslaught of mediocrity. Rather it thrives on that, or so it seems.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    More like accidentally focused. The Sequel trilogy garbage led to them making a good move just before Covid hit. As for books it doesn't seem like anyone is read them.
    Funny thing about business.

Life happens.

And you make decisions.

Could’ve been like Marvel and had to sit on Black Widow for a year and still let people stream it. But no. Get over it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Indefinitely Banned

Mandalorian was Tits. And PG. Hurtful.

Campidoctor

No matter what they say about Star Wars. I will always love it for this snip :

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You just went straight to money(not quality of film or story). I just went to back of the napkin and underestimate 400% profit which accounts for things they don’t really tell you about. Also I don’t make assumptions about movies they haven’t released during COVID. When, if, that happens I’ll add it to the list.
    I went straight to money because that was the topic of the conversation.

As quality goes, it is rather subjective. In my mind sequel trilogy is crap. Regardless the fact is that the Sequel trilogy is very divisive on that front.

How can you state 400% profits when by your own admission there is things they wont tell you about?

I didn't make assumptions of anything. I have been talking about the things as they are now with the numbers they have provided. I didn't mention movies they didn't released, i mention movies they already release. And i said they need the theaters to make those kinds of numbers. The streaming services isn't enough. It isn't just Disney, it is the whole industry.

I would watch Kenobi. But after the painfully uninspiring Mandalorian then this one will probably be very anti-climactic as well. It is almost like they purposely made bad movies knowing that anything that came out after that which was at least average would get eaten up by the starving audience. It is astounding how the Star Wars brand name is able to survive the onslaught of mediocrity. Rather it thrives on that, or so it seems.
    The franchise is kinda dying, just like other major franchises. Star Trek completely butchered of late, SW increasingly irrelevant, and as marvel is concerned is only a matter of time. The High republic books and comics, are not for me, in fact it seems to be intended for a niche demographic, in already niche medium. And from what i can tell the old republic did it all better.

The Shang shi trailer was ratioed to hell in China... the Disney plus marvel shows have been uninspired, and uninteresting imo.

I think the future of the industry will be increasingly fragmented, given the failure of Hollywood of late ( only 9 million of people watched the Oscars lol), and it isn't a bad thing to be honest.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 01, 2021 at 09:13 PM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

What do you guys think of Bad Batch? The visuals are amazing, it looks like the last season of clone wars which is great.

But Disney is not even hiding the fact that they don't give a crap about new canon continuity. The beginning of the show completely modifies the Order 66 events from the Kanan comics by inserting the Bad Batch crew into that story lol So i guess the whole 'single' canon is pretty much out the window and we are basically back to the old version of tiered canon.