Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Blog Entries

I never thought they were real. It is incredibly expensive to have extras. They generally do not pay them, but they feed them and they have to outfit each one. I know with ACW reenactors were provided with black powder, food, etc... during their time on the films. I wish I could have done some, but it seems I always had something going on when they called for "volunteers."
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝

There are mechanisms in Star Wars, wouldn't really call it science though. I mean there is a magic crystal which powers a flashlight that shoots out a laser beam which they use like a sword.

Is that true by the way? The guys who made Game of Thrones are making a Star Wars trilogy?

Jesus this video is painful. The Collider guys keep cucking for the New Trilogy. "Love Force Awakens and Last Jedi"... I hate both and I hate you.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Midichlorians.

Hate Midichlorians but somehow the Plagueis novel made it palatable.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Vladyvid's Avatar Senator

Mary Sue Wars

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar Aetī Avēas!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So yeah, the first official Legends work since 2014 was just announced. It's a one-shot continuation of the original Marvel comics.

The ones that came out in the 70's and 80's? I never read those. They just keep jerking off don't they?

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Is that true by the way? The guys who made Game of Thrones are making a Star Wars trilogy?
    ENDLESS TRASH!!!!!

Seriously, Star Wars is dead
    I am just going to ignore the new movies and Disney's commercial junk can rot in the garbage.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Blog Entries

I have no interest in the last movie in the series. I don’t care for any of the characters- mostly poorly developed if you can say develop at all. I saw Solo because I like Han Solo. It was better but the cross double cross was dumber then the “cliffhanger” at the end.
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Jesus Christ how I wish that the people who say that Star Wars is now dead to them would just stop talking about Star Wars.

It's dead to you, just leave! I don't need to hear about how it's dead to you for the 9,000th time.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen CarnesÓr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

They hate the current form that Star Wars stories and canon has taken shape, not the franchise in itself; it's the way religions fracture, not that they don't believe in their pantheons, just their enactment of rituals, priesthood organization, and interpretation of scripture.

The worst thing for Disney is if everyone, or a large part of the fanbase, became atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Jesus Christ how I wish that the people who say that Star Wars is now dead to them would just stop talking about Star Wars.

It's dead to you, just leave! I don't need to hear about how it's dead to you for the 9,000th time.
    But i love the old stuff! I recently replayed Dark Forces, when toxic masculinity in the form of Kyle Katarn was allowed to save the rebellion
    I am not going to throw away Ep.I-VI or Legends era books, no Sir.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    They hate the current form that Star Wars stories and canon has taken shape, not the franchise in itself; it's the way religions fracture, not that they don't believe in their pantheons, just their enactment of rituals, priesthood organization, and interpretation of scripture.

The worst thing for Disney is if everyone, or a large part of the fanbase, became atheists.
    so, catholicism is canon, and arianism is fanfic?

does that make the original star wars pre-vatican II catholicism, and "hardcore" star wars fans traditionalist catholics?

thing is, the canon hasnt even really changed, certain fans just hate that the new trilogy doesnt align with the fanfic in their head. get me drunk enough, and ill tell you how i would rewrite the prequels, and even then they wouldnt be that different. but i guess they now have feeeeemale priests and worshippers, so that fits.

are film critics, the ones who actually deconstruct movies, and arent fans at the same time, the atheists? or are all non-fans the atheists? fans are always in the the minority when it comes to big franchises, the average moviegoers bring the big bucks. china having more star wars fans would help, simply because there would be so many (see: warcraft movie), but reaching the average audience there is still the endgoal. i doubt transformers fans alone pulled the numbers it got in china.

Blog Entries

I actually like the more "Buddhist" aspect of the force int he original.

There was something mystifying about it.

------

Honestly, if I were to rewrite anything, it would be to undo Vader has Luke's father. "Star war's first" plot twist. I actually like the idea that Vader betrayed "his friend, Luke's Father." The training of Luke could be a debate on whether or not revenge or a true interest in force for becoming a Jedi. The movie could have explored Vader's regret upon learning who Luke was. Luke could then have an internal struggle between revenge (the dark side) or forgiveness. Lucas made it easy for him. It obvious that Vader would be turned at the end. It was also obvious that Luke was not going to kill Vader, his father. However, if Lucas stuck with the original idea, then the final battle would have been physical and psychological. ( I am sure I am not the first to suggest this)

Obviously, the prequels could have been very different. Even sticking to how it actually played out, the prequels would've been different. Anakin would have been like teenagers and the timespan would have been much narrower in order to allow for more character development.Anakin woud have been willful, rather than whiney. Obviously, I would have connected the plotholes, at least from my certain point of view.
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 20, 2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: meant to advance to add video and final thoughts.

Patron of
    _Tataros_

After digesting the Prequels, fans wondered if it could be worse, however, The Clone Wars redeemed the concept.

After watching the first two Sequels, a lot knew that the Prequels could've been worse, and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I was a critic of the Prequels, then i watched the Sequels with their terrible world-building and SJW characters, it revalued the Prequels and George Lucas work for me. Plus the god-awful humour in TLJ, it felt like a Marvel ripoff or Spaceballs, the difference being that Spaceballs was actually funny and ridiculed extreme merchandising and corporate culture in the movie industry.
    Last edited by Mayer; February 20, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

the problem with anakin is GLs instistence to sell us on the conflicted villain trope. anakin being a whiney, insecure, emotionally stunted teenager makes perfect sense, considering how the jedi essentially brainwash children. the lovestory is the other problem, it only exists to justify his manpain, and to give him a single, simplisitic motive to fall for palpatines stories.

would have been easy to resolve: a short fling based on initial attraction, it doesnt work out, ani is too possesive to let it go, and palpy swoops in to encourage his anger, using his disdain for democracy and rejection by padme.

imature manchild, relationship gone wrong, embraces a hateful ideology. sound familiar? georgie had a more complex and believable villain giftwrapped for him.

The concept of the Force as per George's interpretation sounds like a Christian attempting to explain Buddhism. In the original form of Buddhism there was no concept of good or evil. Both were earthly phenomena. An enlightened person would reject both as a dogmatic trap. Doing good does not necessarily result in good being achieved, doing evil is self destructive. Accepting the matters of the world is pointless because it is beyond the control of any individual. The cycle would always continue regardless and so the goal is to break the cycle by abstaining from the world. It is extremely nihilistic however the end goal is enlightenment which supposedly even the gods have not achieved.

The Dark Side and Light Side dichotomy really only makes sense to Christians. Though it bears a striking resemblance to the concept of Yin-Yang in Taoism. Taoism has much more mysticism than Buddhism. Aside from being literal magic it also says little about morals and social mores. The whole idea is that a positive energy and a negative energy work in tandem and indirectly cause the events in the universe. However Yin is associated to negativity there are also good aspects to it. Yang is associated to positive but there can be bad aspects to it. Ultimately the rejection of all the bad aspects and the acceptance of all the good aspects in Yin-Yang gives you something akin to perfection. But since it is based in mysticism and folk magic it is a lot more complex than that. Yin is darkness or shadow (generally that which is hidden) and represented physically by the Moon, it also represents females because women are a dark vacuous hole which will destroy your life. Yang is light and represented physically by the Sun (that which is overt), it is also the male energy because they embody all sorts of good things like strength, charisma, energy etc.

The concept of good and evil really has more to do with religions which are concerned about organizing a society. For example Confucianism which is an ideology and not a religion, but which had elements of folk mysticism as well. The more or less secular point of view of Confucianism was therefore not all encompassing and did not answer natural phenomenon, many also considered it as an insufficient method of examining human affairs. It is easy to see why peasants retained their mysticism (in the period of war why a form of Buddhism caught on) but also why Chinese scholars were so dismissive of Buddhism and religions in general. On the other hand it also created a sort of Confucian bias or dogma which people attempted to address as a result of the collapse of the Han Dynasty. But not coherently and usually just taking the opposing positions of Taoist mysticisms or a Legalist perspective.

Anyway the point is that George was trying to apply basic moral concepts in the form of a Jedi religion to real world events. This is something that only an Abrahamist would try to do, so he basically conflated eastern mysticism with a western notion of good and evil. In George's universe the all encompassing mystical Force is actually fundamentally good and the Dark Side is supposedly a perversion of that good and therefore evil. Clearly a reference to the original sin, but in Star Wars that makes no sense. The Expanded Universe tried to address this by not really addressing it. Though sometimes we got the "Dark Jedi" or basically a Centrist which claims that you can be both Dark Side and Light Side while still having what amounts to "good". But if the Dark and Light have tangible effects how does that really make sense? Is it just that you can be Dark Side but still have good motives? But then George said that every villain has good motives or considers themselves to be fundamentally good. Doesn't make sense either.

Taoism is coming to terms with Nature.

Confucianism is coming to terms with patriarchy.