Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Both seasons were uneven but did a great job of sticking the landing and putting it all together in the end
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Star wars anno 2021: sequel series was bad and a gigantic failure, they dont even sell merch which for a star wars propperty is a death sentence . Animated shows have been bad and they never manged to catch the thunder of clone wars. They never realized their main audience is like 30+ years old and are still trying way too hard to appeal to kids. Mandalorean was a huge success and was actually enjoyable to watch.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 04, 2021 at 07:06 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    They only paid 4 billion for LucasArts
    Actually they only paid him 2.2 billion in cash and over 37 million shares. So George made something absurd like 10 billion dollars to date. His total stock value is something like 7 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Wrong.
    Not wrong. Mandalorian season 2 was sloppy, with gratuitous cameos, redundant episodes, and disappointing plot point conclusions. The whole thing was basically an advertisement for the Star Wars MCU.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 05, 2021 at 07:34 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I don't know why you're determined to die on this hill but they very clearly gave him 4 billion for Lucasfilms. Whether or not the stocks they gave him at the time have increased in value is completely irrelevant, they paid 4 billion.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.
    source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/dis...-lucasfilm-ltd

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Yeah you can’t judge the value of a sale based on current stock value. By that logic you can retroactively change what was actually paid indefinitely which is absurd

Patrician

Then if his stocks are irrelevant Disney only paid him 2.2 billion in cash. They gave him 1.8 billion in stocks. To date George is one of their largest stock holders, and Disney has not made the returns on that. The point is that George made bank off of them and Disney is struggling to break even on all of these expenditures. Yes it does matter, how doesn't it matter. Do you think that George sees it that way? Then why do you think he accepted almost half of it in stocks?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The stocks are relevant based on what they were worth at the point of sale. You can’t retroactively assign a different value than what they were worth to Disney at that point of time.

Patrician

Yes... who is saying otherwise? That really wasn't my point though.

….you did? The stock value matters and only matters for what that stock was worth at purchase otherwise literally any transaction ever can be given unlimited opportunity cost. Disney didn’t “pay” 10 million dollars because the total cash payments and Lucas’ stock eventually a decade later became worth roughly that amount.

Patrician

Right, and as I said they only paid him $2.2 billion and the rest was in stocks. I don't think that Disney lost a lot by giving $1.8 billion in stocks. But the point is that Disney has not made a worthwhile return on their investment. George milked them for what has amounted to $10 billion. If the rising value of the stocks don't actually matter then why did George agree to it? Would he have taken the stocks if the value was depreciating? I don't think so.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It wouldn't matter if the stock tanked in value or tripled in value, it doesn't change the fact that he was paid 4 billion at the time for Lucasfilm.

Quote Originally Posted by You
    Right, and as I said they only paid him $2.2 billion and the rest was in stocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Also you
    Heck the Sequel Trilogy didn't meet the 7 billion they paid George Lucas.

Patrician

Yes I gave a wrong figure. I gave an exact figure the second time. The point is George has $10 billion and Disney has only made just over $5 billion. Even if we only count $2 billion or $4 billion to George, Disney has not made a good return. As I said they fully expected Avengers levels of success, if not surpassing it with the Star Wars brand.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm still hoping they scrap the entire new trilogy and remake that

I wish. I can’t believe they didn’t give Favreau the trilogy. Respects the material? Check. Worked in the IP before? Check. Worked on SFX heavy and/or action films and has a working relationship with Disney? Check. Launched the most successful movie franchise ever that has succeeded based off of heavy story planning and having a producer-architect running things from the top? Check.

Nah it let’s waste the OG group in their last years all alive together and make a movie that retcons the OT so that it can be half retconned in the sequel which is retconned in the finale

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

We'll always have Luke giving a squad of Dark Troopers a tune up in the Mandalorian. The CGI was a bit hooky, but it was Hamill being the best Luke we've seen.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Book of Boba Fett.

Episode 1. Stranger in a Strange Land.

Favreau does it again. Fan service and nostalgia done right.

Totally forgot it’s out today. Favreau literally doing everything he can to save the IP from the post-Disney Lucasarts. Hell, they even wasted like 7-8 years of gaming with that EA exclusive deal

Patrician

Saw Boba Fett episode 1. Decent episode. As usual I think it is dangerously close to average. But the solid concept made this hard to screw up and Temuera just carries it. Can't wait until they screw this up somehow. Maybe with random filler episodes that have no relevance to the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Yes I gave a wrong figure. I gave an exact figure the second time. The point is George has $10 billion and Disney has only made just over $5 billion. Even if we only count $2 billion or $4 billion to George, Disney has not made a good return. As I said they fully expected Avengers levels of success, if not surpassing it with the Star Wars brand.
    I dont think we are going to see such numbers for star wars ever again. The brand is kinda winding down slowly. As time went for various reasons, it became less popular. I mean even Marvel i do think is slowing down. If it wasnt for the new Spiderman movie riding the wave of nostalgia, the rest of Marvel shows, and movies, haven't been very popular or a great success at the box office.

While we cant discount the pandemic effects, there several movies like james Bond, fast and furious and the new spidermam that disprove the pandemic logic. So i do think is interest dying down, on a general scale at least.
    Same thing is happening to star wars.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I dont think we are going to see such numbers for star wars ever again. The brand is kinda winding down slowly. As time went for various reasons, it became less popular. I mean even Marvel i do think is slowing down. If it wasnt for the new Spiderman movie riding the wave of nostalgia, the rest of Marvel shows, and movies, haven't been very popular or a great success at the box office.

While we cant discount the pandemic effects, there several movies like james Bond, fast and furious and the new spidermam that disprove the pandemic logic. So i do think is interest dying down, on a general scale at least.
    Same thing is happening to star wars.
    I agree but at least Marvel had a hugely successful MCU. What did Star Wars get? Disney was reasonably expecting to see box office gold on the level of the MCU. But they took a franchise that was on the decline and instead of reviving it, they actually killed it. It is pretty much in the dirt at this point. Even George Lucas couldn't manage to do that, and under his care Star Wars spent some of the 2000's and all of the 2010's just slowly declining. Disney with all their money somehow single handedly destroyed a franchise that was worth billions. JJ Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, Bob Iger. Bob Iger retired right on time I would say.