Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    You guys still here tormenting eachother over the corpse of that franchise?
    Brilliant!
    Agreed. I have yet to see the last movie and i am afraid to waste my time on the series. bad movies and they are fighting over what bad actors are the worse.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    So Disney fired Gina Carano and called her comments about censorship ‘abhorrent’, proceeding to censor her anyway.

What a bunch of politically correct, stuck up pieces of human crap.
    Holy crap! I loved Cara Dune!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Disney can fire him I imagine. Of course, you miss the point. They didn't fire Gina.
    I think you missed the point. The point is that we won't have the "will they / won't they" with Cara Dune because the actress made some comments a few tweeter warriors didn't like. That's the point.
    I don't care if she was a flat-earther. I liked the character and the way she played the character.

Disney isn't exactly special here. The idea that they'll ignore 99% of what you post publicly, but there are tripwire topics that can get you thrown out on your ass can happen to anybody ranging from celebrities to your average person.
    Yes, but it happens more often in the PC-thug-dominated culture of Hollywood.
    Cancel the PC thugs. Nobody will weep for them.
    Last edited by alhoon; February 20, 2021 at 05:51 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

a person's actions have consequences. it is unfortunate to have to repeat this to people who complain about snowflakes.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I think you missed the point. The point is that we won't have the "will they / won't they" with Cara Dune because the actress made some comments a few tweeter warriors didn't like. That's the point.
    I don't care if she was a flat-earther. I liked the character and the way she played the character.
    Question I have is why do feel the need to trough sit up on Twitter like they are hanging about friends and just yelling on a street corner.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yes, but it happens more often in the PC-thug-dominated culture of Hollywood.
    Cancel the PC thugs. Nobody will weep for them.
    No. It happens everywhere. It just happens hilariously publicly to public celebrities.

Modern businesses and corporations don't want s turning their work environment hostile. You are just privileged enough to see it happen to celebrities under a spotlight and magnifying glass.

Welcome to consequence culture.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

So...uh...Squeezing on past that discussion, I have been reading Zahn's EU Thrawn trilogy.

I can see why people were so pissed Disney passed up adapting it for...what we got.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

God I need to read some SW books. I should start with Zahn and Travis.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

So far this year I have read

Darth Plagueis (Which is good enough that it could and should be easily canon'ed)
    Ahsoka
    Light of the Jedi and Into the Dark (the two full High Republic books out so far)
    Dark Disciple
    Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and currently reading The Last Command.

I have the Swarm War, Darth Bane, and Canon Thrawn trilogies as well but haven't opened them yet. Been reading the Star Wars books in between other genres to not get bored and burned out but the EU Thrawn trilogy has been so good.

I had no idea before I opened Heir to the Empire that so much of the EU post-Endor was established in the book character and story-wise. Kinda wish I didn't spend so much time on Wookiepedia when I was bored and procrastinating cause I know a lot of what is coming.

(And I cannot believe the Yuuzhan Vong arc is like 20 books)

A lot of this year is about reading for me. Bought so many books during the pandemic lockdown and then just didn't read them so now I have a massive backlog of Cornwell and sci-fi books in general to read.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; March 15, 2021 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot one
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Some of the Star Wars books have fantastic stories, many times a lot better than the movies. In fact back in the 2000s when i was really into the EU i actually enjoyed some of the EU books more than even some of the movies.

There is a reason why the original Thrawn Trilogy is so loved by the fandom, it's because it's such a natural continuation of the story. It truly feels like Star Wars and feels so much more like a sequel than the actual sequel trilogy.

I have been trying hard to give the new canon a go. But after reading Tarkin, Thrawn and Light of the Jedi I am pretty much ready to give up. These new books just don't seem to get to the same level of quality as the EU. Light of the JEdi was particularly a major disappointment, the Nihl were such a lame set of villains. It never felt like they were a real menace despite their special power. It's either that these bucks suck or maybe i have matured so much more since i read EU books and i am seeing it with different lens.

I stopped halfway through the New Jedi Order so i will try and go back and finish it and see if the EU books are as good as i remember. I want to see if it's nostalgia or there is actually a big quality gap.

Blog Entries

I've heard that some good sci-fi / fantasy writers started out writing these kinds of books. Is there an author that you would seriously recommend? (Recommend someone not very informed / someone who is not a "fan")
    Last edited by mishkin; March 15, 2021 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by makawa View Post
    I've heard that some good sci-fi / fantasy writers started out writing these kinds of books. Is there an author that you would seriously recommend? (Recommend someone not very informed / someone who is not a "fan")
    Not sure about the ones that started out with Star Wars. But what they usually did is take established authors and give them star wars books to write. For example, RA Salvatore was well established as a fantasy writer in Forgotten Realms when he wrote his Star Wars books or AC Crispin was already a well know writer in Star Trek books when she wrote her Star Wars trilogy. This is probably why some of the old EU was of higher quality. Personally, for me the best EU writer is Matthew Stover as he is actually a fantastic writer. His Acts of Caine trilogy (outside of Star Wars) is a true masterpiece of scifi fantasy.

Depends what you are looking for. New Canon or EU? If it's EU than the original Thrawn Trilogy is the way to start.

Blog Entries

I dont even know what EU (at first I thought you were referring to European writers) on New Canon means. I take note of the names you have given, thank you.

EU is the old canon before the Disney takeover, New Canon is well the new canon after the Disney takeover. The novels generally took a massive dive in quality after the Disney acquisition due to the fact that the old canon had built up about 30 years of continuity and also writers were allowed to create expansive universe changing stories. In the new canon writers are very limited due to the potential for new movies so they can't create any expansive stories, just little side stories. This can be seen with the writers that have written stories both in old canon (EU) and new canon like Timothy Zahn or James Luceno whose new novels are generally of much lower quality.

Blog Entries

Ok understood, thanks again

Senator

My Start to the EU were the X-wing books. I went through them a thousand Times.

In response to the latest hit piece written with libelous intent, here's a nice and thorough explanation as to why it's not OK to paint the critics of Disney Star Wars as "alt right" and why the argument some of you have made is unethical (don't worry, the guy who made the video is black, so you're allowed to like him):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    What’s this mean?
    It's a racist term.

Modern businesses and corporations don't want s turning their work environment hostile.
    Then why are they fostering race ideology?

You are just privileged enough to see it happen to celebrities under a spotlight and magnifying glass.
    How does that make him privileged?

Yeah, that's a smart way to put it.

I follow Eric July ( Young Ripppa) and the rest of so called Fandom Menace. They are not alt right, they are a pretty diverse bunch politically, and most of them are not even political, there is women, black men,etc people among this group. But they are critical of Disney SW. And the over politicization of entertainment nowadays identity politics. That is hurting the typical franchises of the "nerdom".
    Essential killing it slowly. Dr.Who, Star Trek, and SW being the latest victims of this. As well the sorry state of DC and Marvel comics.

Eric July definitely runs a political channel, but he isn't alt right, he is a libertarian at best.

RR was made by a few chicks that work for Disney and Lucasfilm, and as hit piece on this youtuber critics. Their whole article is laughable. But it is a springboard for cancel culture. Which is what they are trying to do.

Consequence of free speech shouldn't go beyond the realm of free speech. At the moment you firing people because of their political leanings, or opinions, its a slippery sloop, at which kind of consequences goes.

In EU it isn't easy to fire someone because of that. Unless you have something like just cause. You know inciting violence or something like that. But Gina Carano tweets were such a nothing burger. The campaign to bring her down took a lot of months, and it was cult based.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I remember back when The Last Jedi came out. One of the channels that exploded from this was a guy called The Amazing Lucas, who was also Black. His criticism of this new franchise was extremely harsh. A lot of other channels by other minority individuals also got millions of views. So the claim that the negative perception of these new movies is due to racism or sexism or something is absolutely baffling.

All of these are channels run by minorities.

The Amazing Lucas.

World Class BS.

Tyrone Magnus.

ufo bri.

A bunch of other channels that I don't remember because it has been so long since I cared about this dead franchise. There was this one hilarious review by two Black guys. One of them would be like "this cool thing happened" and the other guy would interject literally with "bruh, wtf are you talking about?". By the end of the review the other guy had to admit that this movie was trash. Which is what everyone here should do.

I found it. It was Jody's Corner. This is how you debate anyone who likes these movies "bruh".

Apparently they did a Rise of Skywalker review. Watching it right now their commentary is pretty funny.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; March 24, 2021 at 01:09 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yup. Young Rippa as welll. His name is Eric July, and did you know he sung with NSYNC? no joke. he as a band too. He can sing well from what i seen. lol

In his channel talks a lot about comics too, yesterday he ripped the new Children of the atom marvel comic apart.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

FYI an interesting Forbes article by Gene Del Veccio was published about the Gina Carano situation:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/genedel...h=6f05dca065a4

Disney’s Firing Of Gina Carano Is Confusing And Hypocritical – Lacking Sound Management

And some nice quotes from that article:

Disney’s approach is dangerous. Canceling people for their views is the proverbial slippery slope. The maxim, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,” is losing ground to a rather frightening alternative of, “I disapprove of what you say, and I will cancel you for it.” In the past, organizations that needed to distance themselves from employees’ controversial opinions would make a public statement that, “the employee’s opinions are theirs alone and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the company.” Done. Banishment was reserved for more egregious behaviors like debilitating drug abuse, assault, robbery, and murder. The 1950’s blacklisting experience reinforced our belief that speech and political affiliation need to be protected, but we seem to have forgotten the lesson.

Organizations need a more thoughtful system, not a knee-jerk reaction, to guide decisions regarding who gets fired. They need to specify what constitutes the most egregious offenses. It needs to be transparent so the rules are known and not hidden in vague platitudes open to interpretation. It cannot be the decision of one person, but should be made by a group of people, with varied views, who apply a standard yardstick. They need to balance the right to free speech with social responsibility. And they need to take into account not simply the highly vocal individuals who are fast to complain, but mainstream audiences who need time to digest the situational nuances.Case in point: A new poll conducted by Public Opinion Strategies found that 58% of people opposed Carano being fired, but that jumped to a whopping 72% when they saw the post that she was fired for, leaving only 28% who felt Disney was justified. It makes Disney appear to be exaggerating when it later said that her social media posts were “abhorrent and unacceptable” in how they “denigrated people based on their cultural and religious identities.”