Page 12 of 291 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wrath of Khan was the best Star Trek film ever made period. Now I've barely seen any other ones except for the newest ones and I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek I'm not sure why I even invoked it in the above (although I'm not sure Trekies liked it very much). But Star Trek Into Darkness was .
    I'm not even a Star Trek fan at all so I care very little to compare the older films to the two new ones. I only take these two on their own and will not even consider detracting it based on things from the show or other movies.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah McCoy and Spock always have Kirk's back. Even though the third series of TOS was not as popular as the first two and the stories dropped a little in quality there were some really strong stories that show them backing each other and their friendship. It saddens me a bit that so much of the friendship is lost in the new films for the benefit of pushing Spock and Uhurah's dysfunctional relationship when so much more can be done. Regarding pacing. I can cope with long slow book pacing, I have read Forsyth Saga, ASOIAF and LOTR glacial pacing is only a problem in films.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Wrath of Khan was the best Star Trek film ever made period. Now I've barely seen any other ones except for the newest ones and I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek I'm not sure why I even invoked it in the above (although I'm not sure Trekies liked it very much). But Star Trek Into Darkness was .
    I'm not even a Star Trek fan at all so I care very little to compare the older films to the two new ones. I only take these two on their own and will not even consider detracting it based on things from the show or other movies.
    Well I am on record in the Star Trek thread about my objections to JJ's Star Trek films so there is no need for me to repeat any of them here. They had their problems and I hope that JJ learns from his mistakes and that a very good story is used for the Star Wars film and we get something that is at least as good as episode 3 and hopefully better. (Episode 3 being the best of the prequels.)

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

Patrician

If it's as good as Star Wars 3 I might consider throwing it and episode 3 off a bridge.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I'm glad George isn't directing but I think they're playing with expectations way too much.
    It's actually kind of hard for me to care about a new story to be honest. I realize that the old cast isn't the most important which leads me to question the point behind hyping it up like they really matter anyway.

I don't consider Revan resolved or even well down since the TOR game ruined Revan in my opinion. Revan most certainly will come back as he is the game's biggest motivation among the fan base. The hype of another KOTOR was what led much of their fan base to play that game... and then disappoint them.
    I wasn't aware that the Nomi Sunrider series was over. I'm pretty sure they were still going to release several books about that which they have never gotten around to. I wasn't expecting them to go to the big screen with these ones but some actual resolutions to their other stories would be nice, so I pretty much care more about this other stuff than a new Trilogy.

Disney's newly acquired Marvel franchise has paid off I am actually wondering when they will break. I just can't believe that they can keep making this stuff successfully. Star Wars on the other hand is an instant cash cow even if it sucks. The name Star Wars will still attract people and if not it can always sell toys and light sabers so they will most likely never go wrong so long as they can keep making money. Just look at the prequels for instance and compare the discrepancies between review scores and profits.
    Hum about revan i dont think The game ruined revan, on the contrary, it played it with what they got lore wise, wich was ruined previously by the Revan Novel.

Thats right Drew Karpyshyn ruined his own character in that piece of Garbage novel, and did worse to the exile.

About Nomi and Ulic quel Droma, and Exar kun read the Dark Horse comics of
    Star Wars Omnibus - Tales of the jedi V1 And Star Wars Omnibus - Tales of the Jedi V2.

Well about the new stuff, i prefer it this way to be honest,now there is only one lore, one canon, and not several canons and several rate characters, there is only a new continuity. Before that it was messy, you had several canons in place, it was idiotic to be honest. Expanded universe is over, there is only one universe.
    It is unclear to be honest at this point if the old republic it is or not part of this universe. I think it might be most of it anyway. Due to its cronology being far apart from the realm of the Movies, and ongoing franchises still exploring it.
    Marvel leading Scy-fy? hum not so sure about that. Only you meant box office, because quality wise, it is rather subjective. Not all marvel films are good despite its results in the box office, and not all Marvel films are the same, or tailored arround a single model.. its a melting pot of genres. Winter soldier were more Political, spy thriler for instance, then there is Guardians wich was a huge hit, and pleasant suprise for many, but you will find still alot of people who didnt enjoy it.I myself while i liked it, i didnt enjoy it as much as i thought i would.

They keep doing it sucessfully, because the material is very vast, and if given the oportunity to be placed and worked by talented directors, its possible to make decent movies out of it. It is also a generational thing imo, alot of the audience when where kids were reading this marvel comics, and always wondered about this heroes in film, and now they got it. Same thing about batman and superman, for ages people were waiting to see batman, and Superman in the same film. Thats why Dawn of justice is so eagerly awaited even if they are years away from opening.

Ill reserve my judgement until i see the new franchise at play.
    All im saying im not that pessimistic about the future of star wars, despite being sad about the new structure on the canon, and to see this stories go ( they arent going anywhere they are still there, but still, at least it serves to shut up the nerdy star wars snobs, and Sidious fan boys/girls power creeps).
    From what i hear about the production of this new film, im happy. I hear they are using alot of props and grounded special effects, wich means, the CGI, will not be as prevelant or overused even if its still there, i seen the new designs for the storm troopers and x wings, and i love it, all this points to a retro, classic star wars that we all fell in love years ago, not to mention the orginal cast is back. I think alot of people will be drawn to the theaters, because of the curiosity of that alone, and to see what happen to leia, and han, and luke etc. It is preferable then to pick on the prequels, wich were just a mess storywise imo.

The worst performing of the Star Wars movies was Attack of the Clones and it still cleared $300MM domestically. Disney has built plenty of goodwill with its handling of the Marvel franchise so nothing points to them not taking care of a brand that has a massive fan base.
    It has been 10 years since Sith and over 30 since Jedi. Disney has Age of Ultron coming out in May 2015 and could easily attach a Star Wars trailer to that movie to boost interest.
    It is how Episode VII is received that will dictate how the overall franchise will fare.
    Even though Star Wars sells itself, and the movie is guaranteed to be a moneymaker regardless.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 16, 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    Well I am on record in the Star Trek thread about my objections to JJ's Star Trek films so there is no need for me to repeat any of them here. They had their problems and I hope that JJ learns from his mistakes and that a very good story is used for the Star Wars film and we get something that is at least as good as episode 3 and hopefully better. (Episode 3 being the best of the prequels.)
    JJ Abrams is writing it with Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Empire Strikes Back) so I think it should be able to easily surpass the low standard the Lucas written prequels provided.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Scifi tends to be a projection of the present into the future, whether trends, fears or hopes. That includes political developments.

It can also be reversed, bringing the future into the past, with fantastic technology.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

First Contact was really good as well. That, 6, and Khan are my favorites.

The new ones are good but they are action movies that totally lost the spirit of the show. Everything I see from JJ Abrams other than early Fringe I feel is meh.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    First Contact was really good as well. That, 6, and Khan are my favorites.

The new ones are good but they are action movies that totally lost the spirit of the show. Everything I see from JJ Abrams other than early Fringe I feel is meh.
    i enjoyed super 8.

There are similarities; they managed to convince Nimoy to make a cameo, and his character did have both a central and guiding role.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Hum about revan i dont think The game ruined revan, on the contrary, it played it with what they got lore wise, wich was ruined previously by the Revan Novel.
    Thats right Drew Karpyshyn ruined his own character in that piece of Garbage novel, and did worse to the exile.
    Exactly, and I consider the two things to be the same. Drew was doing his book in anticipation for the game. He also wrote the Revan stories for the game.

My issue with a new continuity or canonicity is that a lot of good stuff can and probably will get booted for whatever mediocre thing Lucasfilm ends up making in its stead.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 16, 2014 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    JJ Abrams is writing it with Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Empire Strikes Back) so I think it should be able to easily surpass the low standard the Lucas written prequels provided.
    That is what is bothering me. They are terrible writers. "Let's do something cool". Yet they always make really bad logic choices and plot holes. It would be nice if they did one that doesn't make you go WTF like the Star Trek films did. I know Star Wars plays it a lot fast and loose but I feel that JJ has a huge ability to miss the blindingly obvious.

Also credit avatar from.

A lot of extended universe poisoned the well; how many times can you build a Death Star analogue or flirt with darkness?

Approximately 70,000 times.

Patrician

Well a lot of Expanded Universe is just trash but it would be a real shame to kill some of the legitimately good stuff.

Now that I think back First Contact was probably the best Next Generation film. I can't recall any of the others being good though.
    I mean the first Star Trek film wasn't even a film, it was like a really huge episode and it was so boring. I think I might have seen the third a long time ago but I don't remember it (is it the one with "God" in it?). I don't think I've seen any other ones.

But I'm wondering what else Lawrence Kasdan wrote? He had to have more than Empire Strikes Back.

But I'm wondering what else Lawrence Kasdan wrote? He had to have more than Empire Strikes Back
    Raiders of the lost Ark, Return of the Jedi, The big chill and Silverado its what i remember from him, film wise. But im sure he wrote more.
    It wasnt only film video game Star wars shadows of the empire too, that i remember

Oh aparently he wrote the film Dreamcatcher as well Body heat ( wich he directed)

Not bad i say.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

Patrician

I'm not worried about Kasdan then. For me it's JJ's super secret guess what we're doing things that bother me. He did it for Clover Field, Star Trek Into Darkness etc and seemingly Star Wars (although more understandably for the last one).

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    A lot of extended universe poisoned the well; how many times can you build a Death Star analogue or flirt with darkness?
    That and the weirdness of the clone emperor series vs the seemingly simultaneous Thrawn arc that was more regular run of the mill kind of stuff that don't acknowledge each other at all.

It's been a while since I read either but the whole clone emperor storyline was very odd and strange and almost like a kind of a thing that I went well with the original trilogy and empire strikes back. The whole Thrawn thing was just regular expanded happy go lucky universe stuff like the video games.
    Last edited by Kanaric; September 18, 2014 at 03:11 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Patrician

Was thinking about Star Wars 3 Revenge of the Sith and really that's what the Star Wars prequels should have been at the very least. The movie is relatively weak as far as the characters are concerned and the story is convoluted, but at least it has a story not like Phantom Menace which I only ever watched for the sword fight at the end. Unlike Attack of the Clones it's not boring as .
    There's so many positive references in it to the originals like the Emperor himself for starters, star destroyers and what seems to be X wing and V wing looking things. So the world feels right with a few minor issues here and there. Really the problem is that it is a Star Wars prequel and suffers from crappy writing. But it did what both Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones failed to do.

If you want to watch a prequel to the original Star Wars just watch episode 3 cause Attack of the Clones doesn't have much of anything going for it and Phantom Menace has like one or two cool fights.
    Revenge of the Sith is actually where the prequels should have started in my opinion. It makes no sense to start this series in Phantom Menace for the obvious reasons that the story feels too far back with too much filler in between and because no one wants the main character to be a freakin kid. I think the prequels should have started at the Clone Wars, hell Anakin maybe should have already been a Jedi or, just like Luke, an 18 or 20 something dude who got a lucky break when he met Obi-wan Kenobi.

The more I think back it seems Quigon Jinn was a completely useless character, why even have him in it at all if Obi-wan is there too? Is it cause of Liam Niesson? But seriously, Quigon Jinn should have been all but eliminated so that Obi-wan could become relevant. It's obvious that the creation of Count Dooku for the second film was as a result of killing off Liam Niesson too early. Quigon Jinn and Count Dooku might as well have been the same character as it is obvious that both are these morally grey Jedis. The real twist should have been that whole mind game they were doing in Attack of the Clones about whether Count Dooku was a bad guy or not and they could easily play with that. The other issue was the character of Obi-wan Kenobi, the guy was practically irrelevant or lame for two thirds of the films with the only things he really had was clumsily chopping Darth Maul in half. I'm actually really glad about the character in Episode 3, he felt like Obi-wan for the first time ever, maybe even more so than the original.

Also is it just me or are the Jedi really creepy? They're a weird theocratic cult that has both police and military authority and they steal babies to train them in their weird cult ways.
    Was the Jedi failings done purposely by George or something. Cause if you watch the originals Luke is not like any Jedi I ever saw, he's so unorthodox and it actually makes sense. Which leads me to wonder and even suggest that Mace Windu was done all wrong, especially with his casting. If Samuel Jackson is known as this badass type guy for character roles why didn't they go into more detail about this crazy Jedi cult and make Mace Windu to resemble the Samuel Jackson character from pulp fiction? You know, a crazy religious fanatic who convinces himself that he does good and caps for the lord or force I mean. In very similar veins to Atris or maybe even Kreia from KOTOR. Way cooler and interesting character in my opinion than what we got which is an overpowered purple wielding not so Samuel who is like on anger meds cause... I don't know why they did that. Not that the character must be evil, he can be good but somewhat delusional like most of the Jedi order which would explain how they fell and were clouded to the dark side. Perhaps it was this premise that led the Jedi to support the obviously corrupt Palpatine in the first place (cause you know, Jedi shouldn't be so quick to grab their uniforms and lead wars)? And Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda all dissented with the Jedi decision each for their own reasons.

I don't know, just a thought.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM.