Page 1 of 291 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Default 'Star Wars' discussions

I occasionally get interested in the star wars universe, despite the flaws of of the prequel movies I find them entertaining enough. And the Clone Wars show was pretty awesome, not to mention a bunch of the rest of the Expanded Universe is cool. So I figured why not start a topic about discussing the Star Wars universe? So lets do that, lets talk Star Wars.

Personally, I am very sympathetic to the Separatists. They appear to be just strait up bad guys if you just look at the separatist council and Count Dooku. But in 'The Clone Wars' TV show, they are shown to have a civilian government composed of various worlds. Separatist_Parliament.

I think future works that take place in the star Wars universe during the clone wars should flesh out the Confederates more. There have been hints here and there that the worlds that formed the separatists later on supported the Rebel alliance. And that makes sense, if the seperatist cause found a lot of support because many people thought the republic was corrupt (and were completely right, the Republic did promptly become the Empire) then those former separatists would indeed likely support a rebellion against the corrupt-republic turned Empire.

Its like the Rebel alliance was the good parts of both sides of the clone wars vs the corruption (Palpatine) that secretly controlled both sides of the clone wars.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like Star wars but Im more a fan of after the clone wars (the 20 years leading up to Battle of Yavin) the two years before ESB and the year between ESB an ROTJ. that is the most interesting time period in the star wars timeline to me anyway. Mostly because of the video games in the early 90s. Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, the X-wing games.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Yeah I personally prefer anything after Order 66 and leading up to the Rebellion. The prequels inevitably hurt the story of the Clone wars. The Old Republic period is interesting but all that really exists is the Great Hyper Space war until the TOR mmo game. I frown upon the story of this new game for the most part.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Old is pretty meh now for me. New ones are fun in the way transformers is fun. Clone Wars was enjoyable in the most serious episodes.

Perhaps if you dubbed over Episodes One to Three with new dialogue and creating a different slant to the story and plot.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

I hope Rebels is good
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

You like the expanded universe. All those books written after the Battle of Endor. Then prepare to meet JJ Abrams. He will do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek. Contentious? Yes I agree. Personally I hope his writing collaborators were better for this then when he did Star Trek or this is going to be the biggest let down since Jar Jar Binks.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

The seperatists just wanted to do theyre own thing. I now realize that as an adult. They may have been a bit corrupt but the republic did some pretty questionable things also. The confederacy will rise again! Revenge of nute gunray, no one knew this but he was a secret master of the force!
    Last edited by Luke Evans; June 28, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Patrician

Yeah I myself wondered how Star Wars can get butchered any more. The answer is not living up to your hype, if JJ can't do that he's screwed. Wrath of Khan was just horrible to anyone not watching it for explosions and blondes in their underwear.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Alice Eve. Good call.

J.J. Abrahms films have more plot holes then a J. Johnna Jamisson editorial on spider man.

Sorry it was just the J's.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

Just jack the Star Wars ruby jubilee and jeopardize the jailed jaded franchised jewel, leaving a jagged jimmied jumble of jammed jesters jabbering their jaws away, a jarring job with a Japanese junk aesthetic jockeying with nostalgia and jogging misremebered jolly memories jostled aside by a jittery jury jumping to conclusions, but saved by a jugged Jezebel.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

The entire star wars lore seems quite messed up and often contradicting itself. Also, I feel that a lot of EU stuff is just fanboys making their favorite character crazy powerfull even though they clearly where not in the movies.
    Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett.. They are practicly gods in EU it seems. Personly I am just not a fan of that at all. Someone does not have to be stupidly powerfull to be interesting. It often just detracts from them and makes them less relateable.

To me, Darth Vader seems more like the kind of person who is feared and seen as very powerfull because force users are practicly extinct. I don't know if it was public knowledge that Palpatine could use the force, but I imagine it wasnt. Either way Vader was the enforcer wielding strange powers unlike anything anyone else in the galaxy seemed to have, at least to the public eye. Fear being his primary weapon, which he wields like a master. Probably one of the best examples of a commander ruling succesfully with an iron fist.
    But regarding his ability with the lightsaber, I'd say a fully trained jedi knight in their prime would be enough to defeat darth vader. there simply arent any around anymore.
    I mean, Darth Vader is defeated by Luke.. Luke who only trained a few years in the force. Yes he has some talent in it, hes strong in the force.. which means he'd learn it faster than others, but he lacks a lot of experience and it clearly shows multible times through the movies. He fights Vader before he is ready, he is easily provoked by Vader in episode 6, he seems completely clueless about the threat Palpatine poses.. to give some examples. I mean he defeated vader in anger, not even through his jedi training.

Yet somehow that same Darth Vader can fight and defeat groups of experienced jedi in the EU, as well as a cloned Darth Maul.. sorry but thats all quite rediculous.

Whatever they do in the new movie, I just hope it will be more about characters, moral dillema's and such instead of some overpowered garbage.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

The problem with Star Wars, including the EU, is that it's all made up on the fly. The simple fact they have so many types of canon is testament to it.
    Leia and Luke were obviously meant to be possible lovers more than kin, sword fights are slower than real ones in the original and suddenly become acrobatic whirly circus acts, the Force changes from a few vague and unfocused powers to magic with a different name, the Death Star changes from a singular effort and achievement to one of many dozens wunderwaffen projects, Force users go from extremely rare to ubiquitous (even retroactively as the EU decides practically every single Imperial extra not wearing basic armour is actually a Force use)...

There was no baseline to gauge everything with until after a whole bunch of over the top ridiculous stuff came out
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Main thing that i find horrible in the EU after episode 6 is the fact that for a reason the sons and daughters of the main characters of the original trilogy are either protagonists or antagonists.... I mean, yeah you could understand, 1 or 2 actually doing something, but for me there is no reason for them to be the main characters, and i hope it wont be like that in the new movie... Dont turn Star Wars into Star Trek, only difference would be that one is all about one ship, and the other is all about one bloodline...

Also didnt like the fact they made Jango and Boba Fett being descendant of a mandalore, it all seems just for the sake of it. They are already badass enough, no need to make their blood "important".

Knda goes all with most of you are saying, the EU kinda turned them all, and their siblings, into either evil or good Chuck Norris.

TOR's lore for me is all uninteresting and mostly useless. All that lore of KOTOR and of specially Revan, my favorite Star Wars character, was all butchered....

Last edited by Wulfburk; June 30, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Himster's Avatar Praeses

There are some sweet gems in the EU: "The Thrawn trilogy" after the battle of Endor, "Knight Errant" set during the Sith Empire's occupation of half the Galaxy, the New Sith Wars were pretty good, Ulic Qel Droma in one of the best characters in all of Star Wars, Any story with Exar Kun is good, The Yuuzhan Vong invasion is great, so different from every other Star Wars story, it could almost be it's own spin off universe, Splinter of the Mind's eye was the first Star Wars novel I ever read and it's still great despite it's age, Darth Plagueis is a story that the prequel should have been, Knights of the Old republic is obviously awesome, Darth Revan and everything: that's just awesome.
    Most other EU is pretty bad though, I agree, but that doesn't mean all of the EU is bad.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    There are some sweet gems in the EU: "The Thrawn trilogy" after the battle of Endor, "Knight Errant" set during the Sith Empire's occupation of half the Galaxy, the New Sith Wars were pretty good, Ulic Qel Droma in one of the best characters in all of Star Wars, Any story with Exar Kun is good, The Yuuzhan Vong invasion is great, so different from every other Star Wars story, it could almost be it's own spin off universe, Splinter of the Mind's eye was the first Star Wars novel I ever read and it's still great despite it's age, Darth Plagueis is a story that the prequel should have been, Knights of the Old republic is obviously awesome, Darth Revan and everything: that's just awesome.
    Most other EU is pretty bad though, I agree, but that doesn't mean all of the EU is bad.
    Yeah I'd say other than the "galactic rebellion" phase of the timeline, the Old Republic is my favorite time period. It almost seems like an allegory for the religious wars in the middle east. The jews won, okay now the arabs won, okay now the christians invaded, the arabs won, okay the christians are back. nope the arabs won again. ok now oh here comes the jews again. now just replace jews, christians and muslims with Jedi, Sith, Empire, and Republic. and you have the story of Star wars. lol

Damn this vid made me want to watch the original trilogy again.... Damnit, i'll just rewatch all the 6
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Wulfburg don't. Its a trap.

Also credit avatar from.

Patrician

Revan was a very seriously screwed up character because of TOR. I don't much care for TOR as you can see.

Actually I'm just going to go watch the Original trilogy this weekend thank you very much.