Page 286 of 291 FirstFirst ... 186236261276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291 LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,720 of 5816

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

I don’t know if this makes me want to or not want to try picking it up again
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Hey no one I'm watching this with likes it either. We will probably keep watching it though.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ep 5. Return of the Mandalorian.

Okay, a bit confused. I'm now feeling great nostalgia for characters who were on-screen a few months back, and looking forward to Din catching up with Grogu. WTF happened to Boba!...
    As for the episode itself, if this had been a filler for the Mandalorian it would have been a good episode, in BoBF it's pretty much the best episode of the season.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Obviously, hoping they'll be a Luke scene, would love to see him twirling the 'Dark Saber' like it's a feather.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quite liked the last episode, though I think it's probably the second worst of the show so far - not that there have been any actually BAD episodes, I have enjoyed them all.

I find the mechanic to be insufferable.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Wait did they bring back Princess Caroline in this?

Shes great in Bojack but absolutely horrendous in The Mandalorian

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Comic relief has never worked a single time for Star Wars outside of the couple of times it appeared in the original trilogy. It is completely okay to make a fantasy or sci fi show that takes itself seriously.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Patrician

The Bik of Booba, Episode 5: How to tame your Phantom Menace -

This is almost as bad as the other ones just that it focuses entirely on THE Mandalorian. Which is a bad sign if your actual show is so bad that deviating and focusing on another character makes for a more pleasant experience. Still have to wonder how a new character that hasn't done that much is getting billing over Boba Fett himself. Should tell you everything about how bad Book of Boba is.

So the first bit is really the main part of the episode. Mando has a cool lightsaber... so cool. Instantly my new favorite character. Let me clap and bark like a sea lion. This might be considered the high point of the show so far but it doesn't work for me because I don't really give a good damn about this new canon. I don't care about fake Mandalorian lore and I find the idea that a guy who was a Mandalorian AND a Jedi, who also made the Dark Saber, to be really stupid. I didn't even like it when they were doing it on TCW all those years ago.

But aside from my personal gripes with it, does this hold up? No, because nothing Mando and his Mandalorian fanatics are doing makes any sense. The execution could be so much better but the delivery and the script are really cringey. This whole thing feels so unnatural and wooden. Something which they haven't fixed ever since the start of Mandalorian. It gives B movie vibes and one wonders how low budget shows from the 90's have been able to make better content than Star Wars on Disney money.

So the tldr is that Mando wants to master the Dark Saber, the weapon smith lady tells him that the Dark Saber can unite the Mandalorians if in the hands of someone worthy, Bo Katan lore reveals that she is an incompetent, the Chad Mandalorian Something Vizla wants the Dark Saber, Mando somehow wins even though the huge Chad Mandalorian was kicking the crap out of him (by the way the actual fight sucked), Mando can't "control" the Dark Saber, and finally Mando's nakedness has shamed him and he needs to go on a pilgrimage to Mandalore to atone for removing his helmet.

Also they melted down his overpowered spear to make armor for Baby Yoda (aka Goku) or something. But why the heck did they introduce the spear if they were just going to melt it down? In fact I think that they should not have put the Dark Saber (a black lightsaber!!! so coooool!!!) in this at all and just made the spear as the signature weapon for Mando. But that begs the question how many new power ups and hacks does Mando actually need? Mando is starting to become something of a Mary Sue.

Then Mando goes to Tatooine to get a new ship from the most annoying mechanic of all time. They keep making Phantom Menace references though and I found that really off putting. So Mando's new ship is a pimped out Naboo Starfighter (like the one 9 year old Anakin used to blow up the giant donut)... but it is silver instead of yellow (soooo cooooool!). They build this space ship from parts, then Mando flies around in it to show how fast and stealthy it is. Apparently it is really overpowered... why does Mando keep getting new stuff for no reason? Also I would rather have a ship capable of carrying cargo than the speed racer looking fighter ship from Phantom Menace. Plus the new ship has a little pod in the back instead of a droid port, obviously so he can carry Baby Yoda in it, which is stupid.

That is kind of it for the episode. Nothing really happens, the whole thing is just a bridge for a Star Wars MCU and has tonnes of fan service at that. I like being serviced don't get me wrong but this is a bit much. It isn't even in the way I like either. Really don't care about Bo Katan being name dropped, fake Mandalorian lore for the inferior canon universe, and Phantom Menace references.

In conclusion this episode was boring and the humor was cringey.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 05, 2022 at 01:44 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

The Book of Mando - Episode 6: Boba Fett's Cameo

I like that Luke Skywalker and Ashoka the Great are training Goku to use the 邪王炎殺黒龍波.
    What I dislike is that Luke Skywalker seems like a shell of his former self, that the training is kind of lame, that this is only a single episode, that Luke Skywalker seems like a dick, and that Mando has more screen time than the titular much cooler Boba Fett, which George Lucas retconned to not be a REAL Mandalorian for some stupid reason.

As someone who never cared for Ashoka the Great (I am a bigger fan of Samudragupta personally) I can't appreciate that she makes a cameo here. But I can at least appreciate that she has a scene with Luke. Too bad it is a meaningless throw away scene. Couldn't they do something interesting with this story line at least?

Though I'm confused now. In TCW Ashoka left the Jedi Order, then in Rebels she doesn't even refer to herself as a Jedi and goes to the Mortis dimension or whatever. So now she is back and spouts Jedi dogma. Also what was all this about Luke and Ashoka wanting to separate Dindarin from Goku because of some Jedi religious principle? That doesn't sound like something that the Luke Skywalker that I know would do.

OH WAIT! He isn't the same Luke Skywalker. Which begs the question: Why should I care about this new lore when I have decades worth of existing material? It isn't like we don't already know the conclusion of this material. It leads to the god awful Sequel Trilogy. Nothing could really be surprising because either Baby Yoda goes with Mando or he stays with Luke. But he isn't mentioned in the Sequel Trilogy so chances are he went with Mando.

Also Baby Yoda's tiny chainmail armor is pretty lame. In fact they should have given Baby Yoda the darksaber and had Mando keep the Spear of Longinus. They melted down an overpowered spear in exchange for a piece of crap midget chain mail?

Apparently this is the only episode directed by Dave Filloni. With the next episode being directed by Spy Kid Rodriguez. I have to assume that the finale is going to suck cause every episode directed by this guy has been awful.

But then what is the finale going to be? Is it going to be Boba Fett doing the quick draw on Cad Bane? Cause that actually sounds really lame. More likely it is going to be Mando killing Cad Bane with a quick draw. Seeing as this show is just the Mandalorian now. Boba Fett doesn't even do anything anymore. Before he was an idiot but now he just stands there.

I fully expect for Boba Fett to be killed off and Mando takes his armor and starts calling himself Boba Fett.
    I also predict that Goku and/or Luke and/or Ashoka will show up to save Mando Fett in the finale.
    Furthermore I predict that there won't be a season 2 of Boba Fett but that they will continue the Star Wars series in stupider ways.

All cameos in this episode by order of appearance:
    -The Book of Boba (arguably the series in itself is a cameo within the new Star Wars brand)
    -that marshal guy (aka that guy from Battlestar Galactica)
    -Mando (aka Dindarin)
    -R2D2
    -Goku (aka Baby Yoda)
    -Luke Skywalker's face
    -Luke Skywalker's GREEN lightsaber
    -Yoda's back pack
    -"DO or DO NOT, there is no try"
    -Ashoka Tano (Rosario Dawson's face)
    -The Force
    -Grogu's Armor TM
    -Yoda's Lightsaber TM
    -Cad Bane (the most overpowered bounty hunter... except Boba Fett Dindarin?)
    -Mandingo the Wookie
    -Boba Fett's nod
    -Boba Fett
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 05, 2022 at 01:38 PM.

Does Boba get better to the point it is worth finishing after episode 3?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

question for those of you who are watching the mandalorian and the book of boba fett on disney+. Are there Korean subtitles available for both series?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    question for those of you who are watching the mandalorian and the book of boba fett on disney+. Are there Korean subtitles available for both series?
    Not sure but I didn't see any.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Does Boba get better to the point it is worth finishing after episode 3?
    If you like Mando then probably watch episodes 5, 6, and 7. Watch 6 if you want to see Jedi.

But this show actually gets stupider with every episode.

Patrician

The Schlock of Bob A. Fett - Episode 7: Special Needs Rancor

At least they tried with this one. Still looked kind of lame in a low budget TV show sort of way.

All the issues I brought up earlier about why Boba Fett is a moron were problems that came up in this episode. For example the lack of a Sand Person army to back him up. The lack of any significant muscle except for a few guys. The fact that he allowed the Tatooine crime lords to go free. Basically Fennec Shand has to do everything for him.

I kind of like that Boba Fett had a final showdown with Cad Bane but it could have been done better. Though I do like that Boba Fett just beat the crap out of him with his Gaffi stick. I never understood why Cad Bane was so overpowered in TCW. Capable of fighting Kenobi AND Quinlan Vos? Even though either one of them could basically teleport behind him and slice him in half. He was absurdly fast in this one as well. I guess the lack of armor is what did him in. But there was a moment (multiple?) when Cad Bane was just standing in the open and I don't get why everyone didn't just put their guns on him and waste him. I also never thought that there was a canon rivalry between Boba Fett and Cad Bane but okay.

The part with the Rancor was pretty cool. As I predicted Machete was nowhere to be seen. Don't know that we actually needed to follow that up with the Rancor having a chimp out though. Good thing Baby Yoda sat around the entire episode just to make the Rancor go to sleep.

Not much else I can think of... Santos fighting a bunch of Trandoshans was okay. He was a badass but didn't have much to do. I guess that this is the end for Boba Fett's story since I don't know that there will be a season 2, but he will likely make cameo appearances later on.

Not really looking forward to any of their other shows. I will probably watch Kenobi out of curiosity but none of the other ones.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Yeh.

Overall, Boba as a character was very much that of a one dimensional potato. Temuera Morrison is a better actor than the dialogue allowed. They missed a trick here, Boba could have been a multi-plot spaghetti western/gangster series. Instead, they could have written the plot on the back of a postage stamp. Only saving grace were the cameo's from Din/Grogu/Luke/Ashoka and Cobb, which could have all been scenes from the next season of The Mandalorian.

Boba riding the Rancor was cool, but even that became farcical once it went out of control. Best non Mandalorian episode was the 'Dances with Tuskan's' one.

Having finally pushed through its incredible how the writing to this series was. It felt like late GOT where they decided to make the protagonists as infuriatingly ing stupid as possible in order to hit setpieces. No wonder they decided to literally sideline Boba and make the show Mandalorian S2.5 (even down to basically undoing the end of Mando S2) given how he seemed basically developmentally disabled in his decision making.

It’s like in the moment I don’t mind it thaaaat much but every second I spend reflecting on the series I think back on another detail that was incredibly stupid.

Patrician

Then it is a good thing that they are going to fix what they have been doing with Star Wars.

The Acolyte
    Leslye Headland, Emmy Award-nominated creator of the mind-bending series Russian Doll, brings a new Star Wars series to Disney+ with The Acolyte. The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.

https://www.starwars.com/news/future...jects-revealed

Amandla Stenberg is in talks for the title role of The Acolyte, an upcoming Star Wars live-action television series created by Russian Doll showrunner Leslye Headland. When the show was announced in 2020, many fans objected to the series being described as “female-led,” seemingly because Rey, a female character, led the last three Star Wars movies.

Now, this casting news has revived the conversation, albeit differently because Amandla Stenberg uses they/them pronouns. In a statement on Tumblr in 2016, Stenberg wrote that they/them pronouns make them feel “comfortable.”
    Star Wars has a less-than-stellar track record with transgender issues. Gina Carano was fired from The Mandalorian for her comments about the trans community. Casting Stenberg, even in what is likely a female role, could show a conscious effort to include diversity.

Stenberg would be a huge get for Star Wars. Not only would they be the first nonbinary actor to lead a Star Wars project, but they would also join Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka in being a Black protagonist in a Star Wars series. They’re also an incredibly experienced actor for their age, which is especially useful in a series with such a young main character. (An acolyte is the Sith equivalent of a padawan; so, the lead role would be a young Sith-in-training.)

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/the-acolyte-amandla-stenberg

Why ‘Star Wars’ Series ‘The Acolyte’ Hired Writer Who’s Never Seen Any ‘Star Wars’ Movie

I thought this was satire.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/06/acolyte-hired-writers-never-seen-star-wars-1234645978/
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 20, 2022 at 02:40 AM.

Patrician

Upcoming Star Wars products:

https://www.starwars.com/news/future...jects-revealed

Rogue Squadron
    The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

“Patty has established herself as one of the top directors working in the film industry today,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “She’s a visionary who knows how to strike the balance between action and heart, and I can’t wait to see what she does in the Star Wars galaxy.”

Has she though?

Untitled Taika Waititi Film
    A brand-new Star Wars feature with acclaimed filmmaker and Academy Award-winner Taika Waititi is in development. “Taika’s approach to Star Wars will be fresh, unexpected, and…unique,” said Kennedy. “His enormous talent and sense of humor will ensure that audiences are in for an unforgettable ride.”

This sounded kind of interesting but I am not even sure that I want to watch this now. It is like they are trying their hardest to make anything but Star Wars.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Last August at D23 Expo, Lucasfilm announced the return of Ewan McGregor in the iconic role of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi for a special event series on Disney+. Officially titled Obi-Wan Kenobi, the series begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where he faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader. The series is directed by Deborah Chow, who helmed memorable episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.
    This will truly be a day long remembered, as it was confirmed that Hayden Christensen will be returning as Darth Vader. “This will be the rematch of the century,” Kennedy said.

“It was such an incredible journey playing Anakin Skywalker,” said Christensen. “Of course, Anakin and Obi-Wan weren’t on the greatest of terms when we last saw them… It will be interesting to see what an amazing director like Deborah Chow has in store for us all. I’m excited to work with Ewan again. It feels good to be back.”

*groan* If this is actually a spoiler then I guess Kenobi fights Darth Vader... again??? This defeats the purpose of actually making this a Kenobi story then. It also defeats the purpose of having Kenobi fight Darth Vader in Star Wars (1977).

Ahsoka
    After making her long awaited live-action debut in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano’s story, written by Dave Filoni, will continue in a limited series starring Rosario Dawson and executive produced by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.

Deborah Chow is probably not an issue. But who can actually say that Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau can cut it after their horrible record on Rebels, Mandalorian, and Book of Boba?

Rangers of the New Republic
    Set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, this new live-action series from executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni will intersect with future stories and culminate into a climactic story event.

Don't know what this is... don't care.

Lando
    Everyone’s favorite scoundrel Lando Calrissian will return in a brand-new event series for Disney+. Justin Simien, creator of the critically-acclaimed Dear White People and a huge Star Wars fan, is developing the story.

*groan*

Andor
    Andor, a tense nail-biting spy thriller created by Tony Gilroy, is set to arrive on Disney+ in 2022. Diego Luna, reprising the role of rebel spy Cassian Andor from Rogue One, will be joined by a fantastic new cast that includes Stellan Skarsgard, Adria Arjona, Fiona Shaw, Denise Gough, Kyle Soller, and Genevieve O’Reilly as Mon Mothma. Production kicked off three weeks ago in London.

*groan* The thing about Rogue One is that everyone just wanted to see space battles. I don't think that anyone actually cared about the characters.

Star Wars: Visions
    Presenting all-new, creative takes on the galaxy far, far away, Star Wars: Visions will be a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators. The anthology collection will bring fantastic visions from several of the leading Japanese anime studios, offering a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars.

lmao who watches anime for fresh cultural perspectives. Also hilarious that they are trying to cash in on the anime market. With animated shorts? Oh wow you watched The Animatrix. They couldn't even make a full length series. It is like they are trying to make anything other than Star Wars.

A Droid Story
    As Lucasfilm continues to develop new stories, the intersection of animation and visual effects offers new opportunities to explore. Lucasfilm Animation will be teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to develop a special Star Wars adventure for Disney+, A Droid Story. This epic journey will introduce us to a new hero, guided by legendary duo R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Missed the chance to call it "More Droid Adventures". Sounds kind of lame because the most interesting part of Star Wars is not the droids. I remember in the 80's there was high expectations for an animated Star Wars series but what we got instead was just boring slapstick between R2D2 and his prissy "counter part". Then we got the even more boring Ewok Adventures. Sad too since we got a cool short that introduced us to Boba Fett and then we all instantly felt bad that we could have gotten that instead.

Other Lucasfilm Stories
    Lucasfilm is currently in pre-production on the next installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. At the helm is James Mangold, director of the Academy Award-winning Ford v Ferrari, and Indy himself, Harrison Ford, will be back to continue his iconic character’s journey. Indy will begin shooting late spring of 2021 and will arrive July 2022.

Willow, coming to Disney+, will be set decades after Ron Howard’s 1988 movie, continuing the spirit of adventure, heroics, and humor of the original film. Warwick Davis will return in the role of the great sorcerer, Willow Ufgood. Willow begins shooting next March in Wales and will debut on Disney+ in 2022.
    Finally, the Lucasfilm catalog is expanding further with a story that will introduce a new hero and explore an original world that feels perfectly paired with Lucasfilm storytelling: Tomi Adeyemi’s New York Times bestselling novel Children of Blood & Bone. The story will center around a young African girl’s heart-racing quest to restore magic to her forsaken people, the Maji. Lucasfilm will partner with 20th Century Studios on this coming-of-age adventure.

Please don't ruin anymore franchises. After Kingdom of the Crystal Skull can they ruin the Indiana Jones franchise anymore than it already has been? Yes, yes the can.

Why would there be another Willow movie now? The people who watched this and actually have childhood nostalgia for it are probably a tiny group of people and probably in their 40's. I don't think that Willow has a huge fanbase or anything. So I'm not sure why they want to make another one. Unless they think that Willow needs to be destroyed as well. We need to put the midgets on the chopping block too I guess, not very progressive.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 18, 2024 at 06:00 PM.

I thought this was satire.
    Dude there is people writing for the high republic books that never read a novel start to finish, by their own admission.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Dude you are looking at news that is years old. Rangers of the New Republic and Rogue Squadron are now both pretty much cancelled (the official news is they are on hiatus). Rangers due to the whole Gina Carrano scandal and Rogue Squadron due to some conflict with Patty Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Dude there is people writing for the high republic books that never read a novel start to finish, by their own admission.
    This is depressing but not surprising. Can you share a link? Who is this about? I am hoping it's at least not the adult novel authors.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Jesus Christ... HOW???